We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Okay, elephant in the room: next book.

qtwanderer

[41]Jul 7, 2012
    • level: 27
    LordGrievous wrote:
    Yeah she MASTERED the elements over the course but I'm talking about how she was able to use the two elements so easily at her age when they found her, Especially Fire bending since it's her opposite and even Aang had trouble getting started on earth and fire.
    I agree with you, her ability to connect with those elements was "meh" for lack of an accurate word. I think Aang had trouble with those elements because of their offensive nature while airbending is primarily defensive. And he is a pacifist. We need some Tales of Past Avatars-type episodes, like the Roku one...gives a better view on how different avatars connected with each element cause it would be interesting and somewhat informative.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kwando7

[42]Jul 7, 2012
    • level: 18

qtwanderer wrote:
    LordGrievous wrote:
    Yeah she MASTERED the elements over the course but I'm talking about how she was able to use the two elements so easily at her age when they found her, Especially Fire bending since it's her opposite and even Aang had trouble getting started on earth and fire.
    I agree with you, her ability to connect with those elements was "meh" for lack of an accurate word. I think Aang had trouble with those elements because of their offensive nature while airbending is primarily defensive. And he is a pacifist. We need some Tales of Past Avatars-type episodes, like the Roku one...gives a better view on how different avatars connected with each element cause it would be interesting and somewhat informative.

it's not exactly the element that is a problem it's the way the person bends it like it was stated in "bitter work" in order to bend earth you've got to be stubborn and face the problem head on, Aang's problem was that he thought there would be another way to be able to bend it going at it from a "different angle".

Korra is pretty hot headed and fierce which is probably why she is able to bend the earth and fire elements just as quickly as water.

Also it wasn't stated that Aang had mastered the elements when he faced Ozai, Toph mentioned his earth bending needed work.

RaizenYusuke

[43]Jul 8, 2012
    • level: 28

Roku told Aang that water was challenging for him to learn, which suggested that the opposite element of the Avatar's native element was their most difficult, but LoKgoes furtherbending by stating that the element that is the opposite of the Avatar's personality is their most difficult one. It is just that the Avatar traditionally lives the first 16 years of his or her life as a native of the nation he or she is born in. Aang pacifist thanks to hisAir Nomad upbringing, which is opposite Earth Kingdom's principles and ideals.Like everyone else said Korra's personality makes her stubborn and aggressive, whichare traits of Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation, which make it easier for her to learn earth bending and fire bending, despite fire beingthe opposite of her native element. That is why air bendingwas her most challengingelement.

Aang I do not think hadathat hard of atime learning fire to be honest. When Aang actually did practical fire bending he learned pretty fast. Sure he burned Katara, but that was an accident. He still successful reproduce the trick her saw that perform do. After that he was reluctant to learn it, because he burned Katara. He picked up what Zuko taught him fast. With earth he was faced with a element that was total opposite of his ideals that when the time came to do it he just couldn't until he learned there was no other way, but to meet it head on.

How Korra learned water bending is beyond me. Her personality is as opposite of a water bender as it is air bender. Water benders go with the flow and are willing to change. Korra is stubborn and a my way or thehigh way type of girl when we first her. I am not sure how that translated to fast water bender.

Kwando7

[44]Jul 8, 2012

RaizenYusuke wrote:

How Korra learned water bending is beyond me. Her personality is as opposite of a water bender as it is air bender. Water benders go with the flow and are willing to change. Korra is stubborn and a my way or thehigh way type of girl when we first her. I am not sure how that translated to fast water bender.

I wouldn't say Korra is"my way or the highway" type of girl. She hasbeen able to change her fighting style from raw power to follow the rules of pro bending quite quickly and she did try to take on Tenzin's teachings

Also look at Katara she was stubborn and often wouldn't take no for an answer if she had an idea in her head she went for it (conflicting with Pakku and the whole Painted Lady).

I'm not too sure about Roku he seemed very business orientated and we didn't really get a real good look at his personality as a teenager just a summary after he left the fire nation. It could be both as the elements normally have opposite idealson their bending

RaizenYusuke

[45]Jul 8, 2012
    That is true Katara was stubborn. Korra seemed that way to me when we first met her with her first lines in the series, but changed and learned to adept. Idealisms makes sense. Korra wasn't very spiritual at all and couldn't air bend for a long time. But idealism falls under personalities though.

LordGrievous

[46]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 13

RaizenYusuke wrote:

Roku told Aang that water was challenging for him to learn, which suggested that the opposite element of the Avatar's native element was their most difficult, but LoKgoes furtherbending by stating that the element that is the opposite of the Avatar's personality is their most difficult one. It is just that the Avatar traditionally lives the first 16 years of his or her life as a native of the nation he or she is born in. Aang pacifist thanks to hisAir Nomad upbringing, which is opposite Earth Kingdom's principles and ideals.Like everyone else said Korra's personality makes her stubborn and aggressive, whichare traits of Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation, which make it easier for her to learn earth bending and fire bending, despite fire beingthe opposite of her native element. That is why air bendingwas her most challengingelement.

Aang I do not think hadathat hard of atime learning fire to be honest. When Aang actually did practical fire bending he learned pretty fast. Sure he burned Katara, but that was an accident. He still successful reproduce the trick her saw that perform do. After that he was reluctant to learn it, because he burned Katara. He picked up what Zuko taught him fast. With earth he was faced with a element that was total opposite of his ideals that when the time came to do it he just couldn't until he learned there was no other way, but to meet it head on.

That would actually be an interesting storyof an avatar having trouble with his/her native bending butable to use the other bendingsmore easily.

Kwando7

[47]Jul 10, 2012

LordGrievous wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:

That would actually be an interesting storyof an avatar having trouble with his/her native bending butable to use the other bendingsmore easily.

Actually that would be interesting

Nerdnot

[48]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 14
    RaizenYusuke wrote:

Water bending though has changed, is not all flow its a lot more direct.

qtwanderer

[49]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 27
    Would be interesting, if an avatar can't learn their native element, they couldn't learn the other elements. They could but that would be impractical, right?

RaizenYusuke

[50]Jul 10, 2012

Wll if there is ever a comic or television series about the Avatar after Korra maybe he or she will have a hard time learning earth bending. Laughing

What is the probablitiy that the volume 2 of Korra will not be named after an element? I keep wondering if they are going keep the element angle going and have another water volume or if they are going to sub elements or concepts. Would they name volume 2 energy after energy bending or chi or something?

Kwando7

[51]Jul 11, 2012

qtwanderer wrote:
    Would be interesting, if an avatar can't learn their native element, they couldn't learn the other elements. They could but that would be impractical, right?

An avatar thats a non-bender until they use the avatar state it would make for a good story line but I think the character would be too depressing the only avatar that can't bend, suppose it would give reason to have Korra as the spiritual guide but in the end she did get most of her bending back so

edmasterchaos

[52]Jul 13, 2012
    • level: 41

Next book is confirmed to be called: Spirits

RaizenYusuke

[53]Jul 13, 2012
    Sweet. With that name my hopes for the next antagonists bing a displeased spirit have gone up. Or Korra becomes more spiritual this volume.

edmasterchaos

[54]Jul 13, 2012
    • level: 41

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Sweet. With that name my hopes for the next antagonists bing a displeased spirit have gone up. Or Korra becomes more spiritual this volume.
    Apparently it's a little bit of both.

And here's YOUUUUUUUUUUR VILLLLLLLLLLAIN!

Also, apparently in the first episode we see Jinora, Ikki and Meelo competing with Korra on the airgliders (or the balls) and Jinora's about to win when Korra avatar states her way to victory. Tenzin is pissed.

RaizenYusuke

[55]Jul 13, 2012
    Liking the shape of the second half of season 1. Looks like Korra will abuse the Avatar State. I hope this leads to Korra becoming really arrogant and big headed.