We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

love interests

MadameTamma

[1]May 5, 2012
    • level: 7

Well I just saw episode 5.

Sigh. Okay let me explain what the original series did right with the romance and what this series isn't doing right.

Aang had his priorities strait. He put off telling Katara his feelings because there were more important things to worry about, and it kept things simple. Yes there was a very small hinting of a love triangle between Aang Zuko and Katara, but the story of the Avatar is a fairy tale and fairy tale romances are suppose to be kept simple (For the most Part). There was SOME tension and drama from the romance but over all, it mostly came from where it was suppose to, the quest to save the world, and the most romantic elements either came from protecting and comforting each other through the hard times, or not so subtle hints. When they did have an episode that was mostly romantic fluff like the fortune teller one from season 1, it was played light hearted, simple and connected with the story well. This episode honestly seemed like a disney channel preteen drama, It was predictable, and after a gripping episode like last weeks, it doesn't really hold up.

Also, why does Korra like Mako? Where is the chemistry? If Korra must have a romantic love interest in the story, than I want it to be with someone she bounces off well with and has interesting conversations. So far I can only recall one interesting conversation that Mako and Korra shared alone together and it was when Mako was telling her of his tragic childhood and she reacts the same way one would toward a good friend. If a love connection between the two was meant to come about it, than that seems really forced to me. At least with Bolin when they're having conversations together alone, they keep my interest even when they're really not saying anything important, and that is a good way of showing compatibility between two characters.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

_Amibrosia

[2]May 5, 2012
    • level: 5
    Korra though she was acting right, but Mako wasnt ready. The thing is that He really likes her obviously and he was jealous as well. He wants to be sure, no ones can't hate him for that.

MadameTamma

[3]May 5, 2012

_Amibrosia wrote:
    Korra though she was acting right, but Mako wasnt ready. The thing is that He really likes her obviously and he was jealous as well. He wants to be sure, no ones can't hate him for that.

I don't blame him for that, actually that's my point. it's all very complicated. the original series knew how to keep the love simple which in my opinion works better for a show like this. These characters are all dealing with so much all ready, did they really need this confusing love triangle where they need to sort out all these feelings in the midst of everything else going on? Not only that but we're only the 5th episode into the series and I feel like they were trying to cram an entire season of love interests plots into one episode.

_Amibrosia

[4]May 5, 2012
    • level: 5
    MadameTamma wrote:

_Amibrosia wrote:

I don't blame him for that, actually that's my point. it's all very complicated. the original series knew how to keep the love simple which in my opinion works better for a show like this. These characters are all dealing with so much all ready, did they really need this confusing love triangle where they need to sort out all these feelings in the midst of everything else going on? Not only that but we're only the 5th episode into the series and I feel like they were trying to cram an entire season of love interests plots into one episode.

Yeah, like someone else said, they have their ideas for only 12 episodes, so they need to fit everything.

AllieAllie

[5]May 5, 2012
    • level: 22

Plus, Aang actually did try to tell Katara how he felt a couple of times during the series, but he always got interrupted or something came up and it wasn't the right time. The innocence was due in part to his age, he was 12 remember.

Also Korra is supposed to be more complicated and mature than ATLA so its expected that the romance wouldn't be so simple.

edmasterchaos

[6]May 5, 2012
    • level: 41

MadameTamma wrote:

Sigh. Okay let me explain what the original series did right with the romance and what this series isn't doing right.

Aang had his priorities strait. He put off telling Katara his feelings because there were more important things to worry about, and it kept things simple. Yes there was a very small hinting of a love triangle between Aang Zuko and Katara, but the story of the Avatar is a fairy tale and fairy tale romances are suppose to be kept simple (For the most Part). There was SOME tension and drama from the romance but over all, it mostly came from where it was suppose to, the quest to save the world, and the most romantic elements either came from protecting and comforting each other through the hard times, or not so subtle hints. When they did have an episode that was mostly romantic fluff like the fortune teller one from season 1, it was played light hearted, simple and connected with the story well. This episode honestly seemed like a disney channel preteen drama, It was predictable, and after a gripping episode like last weeks, it doesn't really hold up.

Also, why does Korra like Mako? Where is the chemistry? If Korra must have a romantic love interest in the story, than I want it to be with someone she bounces off well with and has interesting conversations. So far I can only recall one interesting conversation that Mako and Korra shared alone together and it was when Mako was telling her of his tragic childhood and she reacts the same way one would toward a good friend. If a love connection between the two was meant to come about it, than that seems really forced to me. At least with Bolin when they're having conversations together alone, they keep my interest even when they're really not saying anything important, and that is a good way of showing compatibility between two characters.

Actually, Aang was more shy about his feelings than anything else. He tried hard to tell Katara in the fortuneteller, then whoops there's a volcano. You can't ignore volcanoes, so he shelved his feelings for a while.
    There was NEVER a love triangle between Zuko, Katara and Aang. Any Katara/Zuko relationship was fanmade.

Avatar is nowhere near as grim and scary as fairy tails. Or if you speak of modern western takes, then Avatar's nowhere near as silly.
    Aang kissed Katara just before they raided the Fire Nation capital. Then before they went on to their endquest to save the world, not the most perfect of times. Sokka's love was better handled, i'll admit. And Zuko/Mai was... more understandable when it happened, but still off-screen.

How does this week not connect? It's a tight episode that develops Korra, Bolin and Mako, it shows other aspects of their character and puts on tension between them, which they sorta come out from. Fitting the bill for their ages, too.

Mako's attractive, strongwilled, cares for his brother deeply, is very responsible and reliable, and is a hell of a bender, makes sense that the fight-loving Korra will have an interest in someone like that. The rest of your point, my friend, is your subjective point of view that Korra and Bolin should be together. It's fine that you think that way, but don't hate on the series because a character's views on what an ideal partner is don't match yours.

readapost

[7]May 5, 2012
    • level: 14
    edmasterchaos wrote:

MadameTamma wrote:

Actually, Aang was more shy about his feelings than anything else. He tried hard to tell Katara in the fortuneteller, then whoops there's a volcano. You can't ignore volcanoes, so he shelved his feelings for a while.
    There was NEVER a love triangle between Zuko, Katara and Aang. Any Katara/Zuko relationship was fanmade.

Avatar is nowhere near as grim and scary as fairy tails. Or if you speak of modern western takes, then Avatar's nowhere near as silly.
    Aang kissed Katara just before they raided the Fire Nation capital. Then before they went on to their endquest to save the world, not the most perfect of times. Sokka's love was better handled, i'll admit. And Zuko/Mai was... more understandable when it happened, but still off-screen.

How does this week not connect? It's a tight episode that develops Korra, Bolin and Mako, it shows other aspects of their character and puts on tension between them, which they sorta come out from. Fitting the bill for their ages, too.

Mako's attractive, strongwilled, cares for his brother deeply, is very responsible and reliable, and is a hell of a bender, makes sense that the fight-loving Korra will have an interest in someone like that. The rest of your point, my friend, is your subjective point of view that Korra and Bolin should be together. It's fine that you think that way, but don't hate on the series because a character's views on what an ideal partner is don't match yours.

Yeah I seeing quite a few Makorra fans seem to while still ship it feel bad for Bolin. It guess this episode was a base braker.

MadameTamma

[8]May 6, 2012

edmasterchaos wrote:

MadameTamma wrote:

i don't hate this series, or any of the characters, I love it all, Mako is cool, Bolin is funny, and Korra is kick ass! I just roll my eyes at this episode because the writing felt more like a dramatic sitcom or a romantic comedy film, not an action fantasy. The whole love triangle plot is one I've seen before in so many other books, movies, and shows, especially now a days, and it feels very forced in a show that up until this point was very unpredictable, fresh, and unique.

Duttygyaal

[9]May 6, 2012
    • level: 10
    For one, you seem to forget that in the original series Aang was only 12 years old at the time, with Katara being a few years older. You're comparing a romance between kids and teenagers. o.o Aang while a fun-loving kid, was also quite shy about expressing his feelings especially since Katara was acting more like a sister/friend to him (in the beginning that is.)

I think it's quite normal for Korra and Mako to be attracted to each other (or else something would be wrong) considering their ages and the fact their hormones would spin wildly out of control. And if you're stating that it's too rushed, just look again at the seasons in the eps so far - when Korra arrived in Republic City it was around autumn - in the latest episode it was snowing so it's safe to say that a few months had passed since then. More than enough time for feelings between them to grow. Also it might seem like it's quick, because of the episode order - Season 1 only has about 12 episodes so the events are going to be tighter and more focused. Even if they did confess their feelings to each other and kissed (which was great to see) it doesn't mean they're gonna get together anytime soon. In fact, it will make the unresolved sexual tension between them VERY interesting to watch.

edmasterchaos

[10]May 6, 2012
    • level: 41

MadameTamma wrote:

i don't hate this series, or any of the characters, I love it all, Mako is cool, Bolin is funny, and Korra is kick ass! I just roll my eyes at this episode because the writing felt more like a dramatic sitcom or a romantic comedy film, not an action fantasy. The whole love triangle plot is one I've seen before in so many other books, movies, and shows, especially now a days, and it feels very forced in a show that up until this point was very unpredictable, fresh, and unique.

Hmm, well, fair enough. I disagree, but, it is very true that this episode shifted focus to the love aspect, and you not enjoying how this series does it is perfectly okay.

And next week we'll likely both enjoy what will happen since i'm fairly sure it's less romance and more "OMFG THAT HAPPENED" with a very serious upcoming thing.

Edited on 05/06/2012 11:55am

RaizenYusuke

[11]May 6, 2012
    • level: 28

The episode felt like it wanted to give the love stuff out of the way so it could focus on the other plots more. Korra, Mako, and Bolin love triangle or square if we count Asami getting major focus for an episode I expected, but I didn't expect them to rush through it in one episode. Mako likes both Korra and Asami, completely understandable and believably. Who hasn't liked two girls at once and not knowing which one you liked more? Korra unintentionally using Bolin to get over his brother understandable. The confession from Korra and later kiss were all believable. What felt rushed is how they all just got over it in the span of a day for them or should I say the span of episode for us.

Korra being more active or straight forward compared to Aang's shyniess parallel the difference between teenage love compared to the more innocent young teen love. Messy love triangles, it is the end of the world type deals, name calling of rivals, overactting, ectwas all normal for their ages. It just felt like they just wanted to get it out of the way and show it all in one episode, which stuck out more since thhey had a nice pace going on with the other 4 episodes.

UnovaChampion

[12]May 6, 2012
    • level: 19
    The triangle was over a span of several days during the tournament.

MadameTamma

[13]May 6, 2012

edmasterchaos wrote:

MadameTamma wrote:

Hmm, well, fair enough. I disagree, but, it is very true that this episode shifted focus to the love aspect, and you not enjoying how this series does it is perfectly okay.

And next week we'll likely both enjoy what will happen since i'm fairly sure it's less romance and more "OMFG THAT HAPPENED" with a very serious upcoming thing.

Awsome

iiMNOTOKAY

[14]May 13, 2012
    • level: 17

edmasterchaos wrote:

MadameTamma wrote:

I shamelessly shipped Katara/Zuko, and I can honestly say all of my "proof" of their secret, burning love was total crap. But, a girl can dream!

I can see Korra and Mako hitting it off, but the issue is that this is a 12 episode series. In ATLA we had three seasons for feelings to develop, where this series is much more focused and involves less fluff. As much as my inner fangirl would adore to see some romance, I'm not banking on a whole lot happening, but who knows. That's what fanfiction is for, I suppose!

AllieAllie

[15]May 13, 2012
    • level: 22

iiMNOTOKAY wrote:

edmasterchaos wrote:

MadameTamma wrote:

I shamelessly shipped Katara/Zuko, and I can honestly say all of my "proof" of their secret, burning love was total crap. But, a girl can dream!

I can see Korra and Mako hitting it off, but the issue is that this is a 12 episode series. In ATLA we had three seasons for feelings to develop, where this series is much more focused and involves less fluff. As much as my inner fangirl would adore to see some romance, I'm not banking on a whole lot happening, but who knows. That's what fanfiction is for, I suppose!

Yes, but Korra was actually renewed for a second season, so there's more time for relationships to develop.

qtwanderer

[16]May 15, 2012
    • level: 27
    Would the show be "better" with less of the romatic-themes? It could just be action/adventure. But would it be entertaining...

Beastgirl2

[17]May 16, 2012
    • level: 11

Yeah, I prefer it when romantic relationships have more time to develop. I realize the characters in Aang's story were a lot younger and that's why the romance developed differently, but it's just not as interesting when it happens suddenly like this. Right now Korra with Mako seems kind of boring to me. I think I would have enjoyed it more if they had "hated" each other for longer. And actually, I think the Korra and Mako relationship seems more simple than Aang and Katara. They are both attracted to each other right off the bat. With Aang and Katara they were just friends for a long time, and Aang knew he was in love while Katara struggled to see him as more than a younger friend or a little brother type.

To be honest Korra and Mako seems forced to me. But maybe Korra will eventually be paired up with someone else, and that is why they are rushing Korra and Mako. I doubt it, but you never know.

iiMNOTOKAY

[18]May 17, 2012
    • level: 17

Maybe it's just me, but I remember ATLA having more romance in it. Not necessarily in every episode, but you had Sokka with two different girls, and his relationship with Yue remained a bit complicated and you saw that as he got closer to Suki. Then Ty Lee and Toph would hit on him every now and again. You had Katara and Aang. Zuko and Mai. Etc, etc etc.

It's still relatively early in the current series, but I'm hoping for something with a little more... depth. Or substance of some kind. Mako's angsty "I don't know who to chose" ordeal isn't really cutting it for me at the moment. But! I have hope.

RaizenYusuke

[19]May 17, 2012
    • level: 28
    I think you hit the nail on the head. There is no deph to it at the moment. Perhaps later episodes will develop the romance more and give it more substance.

UnovaChampion

[20]May 17, 2012
    • level: 19
    TenzinxLinxPema love triangle ftw

Now that would delve into something more mature and exciting than the Makorra bull crap.