We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Would you prefer...

Would you rather the upcoming movie be animated?

SpongeSebastian

[1]Jun 18, 2009
    • level: 41
    Are you pleased with the upcoming movie being in live-action, or would you rather it be animated like the series? I'm kind of interested in seeing how it turns out in live-action. If it were to be animated, it would probably seem to be somewhat of just a pointless summary of the series (unless they did it as an epilogue or a prologue). What do you think?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

edmasterchaos

[2]Jun 18, 2009
    Something like this should go on the official movie thread.

But to reply, honestly, i don't like the idea of movies anyway, these Live Action movies could go either way at the moment, but i don't really have much hope.
    I'd much rather like for a couple of special movies that tell us about what happened after it end, with Aang as a full avatar, what happened to Zuko's mother and such.

Abhorsen_91

[3]Jun 19, 2009
    • level: 7
    I agree, I don't think the movies are a good idea at all. They should've just keep it as it was originally meant to be
    Edited on 06/19/2009 4:24am

_Flutterlight_

[4]Jun 19, 2009
    • level: 15
    Yeah. I'd prefer something like what Edmasterchaos described: An animated movie about what happened after the first three books.

AllieAllie

[5]Jun 19, 2009
    • level: 22
    Yeah, I agree with ed too.

CrimsonCy

[6]Jun 20, 2009
    I think they should have made a spin off tv series with Brad Pitt as Aang, that girl from icarly as Katara, Will Smith as Sokka, Bruce Willis as Toph, Jared Leto as Zuko, Jason Schwartzman as Jet. Throw in Michael Cera for the season 3 awkward, nice Zuko and you got a killer show.

AllieAllie

[7]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 22
    That would be some spin-off

Sektos

[8]Jun 21, 2009
    • level: 10
    If they were going to do a movie AT ALL it should not be an adaptation of the TV series. U just cant do that without throwing ALOT out into the trash; such as character bios, character development and most plot points. The movie, to be open to general public and not just fans, should be an expansion on the universe as a Prequel to the time of Aang or a Sequel.

ger5632

[9]Jun 21, 2009
    • level: 24
    honestly, i'd rather Avatar just end like this.it had a perfect ending and i wouldn't want to ruin that.

Sektos

[10]Jun 21, 2009
    ger5632 wrote:
    honestly, i'd rather Avatar just end like this.it had a perfect ending and i wouldn't want to ruin that.

Though i would agree that the end was perfect, i do think it was well done and that there is a risk of ruining what has been achieved with the GAang

Thats why i would like to see a continuation of the universe. There's alot more the creator's can do with the show. It doesnt even have to have the Avatar as the main, and/or good, character. I'd think be interesting to see a series and/or animated movie series about the main character's fighting back against an oppressive Avatar who is imposing his/her own views of peace.

Water78

[11]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 47

people who do not like the idea of it being live action are just angry because they are so used to it being animated.

edmasterchaos

[12]Jun 24, 2009
    Water78 wrote:

people who do not like the idea of it being live action are just angry because they are so used to it being animated.

And there's a long history of live action movies based on animated series that ended up being crap.

CrimsonCy

[13]Jun 24, 2009
    edmasterchaos wrote:
    Water78 wrote:

And there's a long history of live action movies based on animated series that ended up being crap.

They need to make Aqua Teen Hunger Force into live action.

legersem

[14]Jun 25, 2009
    • level: 20
    I would prefer live-action. If the movie were to be animated, then it would simply be a retelling of the entire series condensed into an hour and a half movie and the movies would be entirely unnecessary. As for the live-action, I am holding judgement on whether or not this idea will be done well. I saw the teaser and I have to say it looks like it can be done well and to the satisfaction of the die-hard fans of the series (myself included). On the other hand, a prequel or sequel movie would be much appreciated and very awesome at this point. I'm still having trouble letting go of this show!

Sektos

[15]Jun 26, 2009
    Water78 wrote:

Well thats indepth

No MY issue is that you are condensing a 62 episode show into three films!!! There are things from a series u cant bring to a movie, like character development spanning 62 EPISODES!, unless u make some significant changes to plot and/or characters. I DO NOT TRUST M Night to do this AT ALLLLLLL. A better director probably could pull it off (Peter Jackson did amazing job with LotR) The movie itself will probably end up being kid fluff and thats it what made the series fantastic was that there was alot of depth and realism in the characters and the series was written in such a way that even older viewers, like myself, can enjoy it. Things that also work in animation do not work in real life- its going to be interesting to see if anyone buys Aang getting with katara in movies I would have increase ages of all the characters to be in their late teens (15 +) so as there is believability in them fighting soldiers and dealing with issues that are transfered from the series. And yes kids would still like it! they do not have to have every character turned into a child so that they can relate to them (Im looking at YOU Ironbaby Armoured Adventures)

IFFFFFF the movie had been about a NEW avatar then they would have had free reign and added something new to the Avatar universe. Instead be prepared for another Golden Compass

Water78

[16]Jun 26, 2009
    Sektos wrote:
    Water78 wrote:

Well thats indepth

No MY issue is that you are condensing a 62 episode show into three films!!! There are things from a series u cant bring to a movie, like character development spanning 62 EPISODES!, unless u make some significant changes to plot and/or characters. I DO NOT TRUST M Night to do this AT ALLLLLLL. A better director probably could pull it off (Peter Jackson did amazing job with LotR) The movie itself will probably end up being kid fluff and thats it what made the series fantastic was that there was alot of depth and realism in the characters and the series was written in such a way that even older viewers, like myself, can enjoy it. Things that also work in animation do not work in real life- its going to be interesting to see if anyone buys Aang getting with katara in movies I would have increase ages of all the characters to be in their late teens (15 +) so as there is believability in them fighting soldiers and dealing with issues that are transfered from the series. And yes kids would still like it! they do not have to have every character turned into a child so that they can relate to them (Im looking at YOU Ironbaby Armoured Adventures)

IFFFFFF the movie had been about a NEW avatar then they would have had free reign and added something new to the Avatar universe. Instead be prepared for another Golden Compass

well that's undepth

The whole point of the movie{s} is to introduce the series to a wider range. So changing it would confuse new comers to the show. They arent trying to annoy fans they are trying to help avatar addicts

Sektos

[17]Jun 27, 2009
    Water78 wrote:
    well that's undepth

The whole point of the movie{s} is to introduce the series to a wider range. So changing it would confuse new comers to the show. They arent trying to annoy fans they are trying to help avatar addicts

Its not introducing the series to a wider audience, its introducing them to the story of Avatar and the characters. How new comers would get confused between something they've never seen and the film doesnt make sense. More likely they'll view the movie, and if it just jams in episode plots of season into 2 hours (prob less seeing as they are marketing to kids), they will not like it. More likely it'll piss off fans if the movie makes no coherent sense and has bad acting (another reason to go for an older cast), resulting in bastardisation of the show. It just makes more sense to to do something new where u arent limited. Something different could please almost all fans (no one could complain that the plot or characters are not the same) and newcomers will have another whole story to discover when checking out the series.

The characters arent going to even BE the same age by time they are up movie 3, Aang most likely be 16 or 17 by then if they stick with same kid. You change ALOT in your Teenage years. Katara, using time difference, would be 18 or 19. Kataang be weirder if its less time and is 15 and 17. Girls by that point are fully matured, but guys can still be undeveloped (feel the pedo vibe lol)

As a adaptation, and a potential cash-cow for studio, im suprised they're limiting this to 3 movies actually. You defintitely have more than 3 arcs in the show. *** S1 can be condensed into One film, there's alot of stand alone episodes that can be removed (thou unfortunate because there's some cool ones). *** Season 2 should be 2 movies - 1st Getting to Ba Sing Sei with Azula chasing traitors Iroh and Zuko (removing chasing Gaang so Azula meets Aang in Drill as last act), Toph + training. 2nd being Conspiracy of Dailee and Azula taking over.

*** Season 3 would be Day of Black Sun (ALOT u can remove from start of S3) and a seperate film for Sozins comet. Together you have 5 films

**** HOWEVER i imagine (and this does work well) they are going to remove the Eclipse, library and Appa being stolen, most likely have ZUko join the Gaang at end of movie 2 with big fight with Azula. THis leads directly into Sozins comet. In fact drill will prob also be gone (and getting into serious surgery on interesting S2 arc *tear*) and probably also will be the conspiracy. ORRRR they remove everything B4 Ba Sing and have Gaang arrive there at start and meet Toph there. Zuko either start by being in city or almost be captured by Azula and then going to city. There is ALOT of gold getting chopped but only way work as 3 films. How they're going to fit training is question. I imagine take place of screen alot eg 3rd movie picks up weeks later (like S2 to S3) and Aang has already had training by ZUko. I can imagine one of Aang's first scenes being him in middle of training and Zuko teaching him (with SOkka noting fact that guy who was hunting them is now helping them).

Sektos

[18]Jun 27, 2009
    PS adding to last paragraph: skipping Guru in S2 and Katara being cause of blocked chakra (if still have that). As for Sozin Comet they may , thou could work, not add Lion Turtle, wether they have or do not have chi bending by Aang.

gilvatar

[19]Jun 27, 2009
    • level: 17
    whoa that's alot of chopping for the 2nd movie and they haven't even finished the 1st one yet. Don't go getting yourself worked up over a movie they haven't even started yet.

Water78

[20]Jun 27, 2009
    Sektos wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    well that's undepth

Its not introducing the series to a wider audience, its introducing them to the story of Avatar and the characters. How new comers would get confused between something they've never seen and the film doesnt make sense. More likely they'll view the movie, and if it just jams in episode plots of season into 2 hours (prob less seeing as they are marketing to kids), they will not like it. More likely it'll piss off fans if the movie makes no coherent sense and has bad acting (another reason to go for an older cast), resulting in bastardisation of the show. It just makes more sense to to do something new where u arent limited. Something different could please almost all fans (no one could complain that the plot or characters are not the same) and newcomers will have another whole story to discover when checking out the series.

The characters arent going to even BE the same age by time they are up movie 3, Aang most likely be 16 or 17 by then if they stick with same kid. You change ALOT in your Teenage years. Katara, using time difference, would be 18 or 19. Kataang be weirder if its less time and is 15 and 17. Girls by that point are fully matured, but guys can still be undeveloped (feel the pedo vibe lol)

As a adaptation, and a potential cash-cow for studio, im suprised they're limiting this to 3 movies actually. You defintitely have more than 3 arcs in the show. *** S1 can be condensed into One film, there's alot of stand alone episodes that can be removed (thou unfortunate because there's some cool ones). *** Season 2 should be 2 movies - 1st Getting to Ba Sing Sei with Azula chasing traitors Iroh and Zuko (removing chasing Gaang so Azula meets Aang in Drill as last act), Toph + training. 2nd being Conspiracy of Dailee and Azula taking over.

*** Season 3 would be Day of Black Sun (ALOT u can remove from start of S3) and a seperate film for Sozins comet. Together you have 5 films

**** HOWEVER i imagine (and this does work well) they are going to remove the Eclipse, library and Appa being stolen, most likely have ZUko join the Gaang at end of movie 2 with big fight with Azula. THis leads directly into Sozins comet. In fact drill will prob also be gone (and getting into serious surgery on interesting S2 arc *tear*) and probably also will be the conspiracy. ORRRR they remove everything B4 Ba Sing and have Gaang arrive there at start and meet Toph there. Zuko either start by being in city or almost be captured by Azula and then going to city. There is ALOT of gold getting chopped but only way work as 3 films. How they're going to fit training is question. I imagine take place of screen alot eg 3rd movie picks up weeks later (like S2 to S3) and Aang has already had training by ZUko. I can imagine one of Aang's first scenes being him in middle of training and Zuko teaching him (with SOkka noting fact that guy who was hunting them is now helping them).

the series is the story