We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Who is the Best Fire Bender?

Well who is it?

Sektos

[41]Jun 16, 2009
    • level: 10
    MarryLarry wrote:
    Sektos wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

Ozai was already hit with lightning when Zuko shot it at him. Granted it wasn't a direct hit, but it landed right at his feet which is close enough to send most people to the morgue. He was close enough to get most of the juice yet he still got right back on his feet. Whereas Iroh gets hit by a relatively small blast of fire by Azula and almost goes down for the count.

In terms of endurance I say Ozai has Iroh beat.

they never show Ozai getting hit by lightning. The lightning bolt hits the ground in front of him and blaws him back into the wall. As for Iroh, he was hit by azula's blue fire, not lightning

...?

I think you should reread my post.

OK i didnt see 'fire' but point still stands
    Iroh was hit with blue fire, FAR hotter than red fire, in his chest. Meanwhile Ozai was never shown getting even a small shock by the lightning (zuko after being hit by lightning still has small sparks coming off him, and Iroh S1 beard is slightly burnt), instead getting blown back when the ground at his feet exploded. Now in REAL life someone would propably still receive some shock from being that close but not hit, but this isnt reality
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MarryLarry

[42]Jun 16, 2009
    • level: 11

Using reality as an argument is a really poor excuse since in reality people can't shoot fire out of their bare hands and the whole discussion becomes mute.

People have actually been knocked out and even killed by lightning that struck the ground 20+ feet away from them whereas Ozai's lightning struck no more than a foot from him. That means he got most of the shock and still managed to get right back up. And I think we can agree that a lightning bolt backs more umph than a blast of fire.

Iroh may very well have been the best when he was younger, but after his son died, he entered into retirement. The fight between him and those firebenders at the North Pole was probably the 1st time he's used firebending in combat since then. Ozai meanwhile, as explained by the writers, continually worked out and trained as Firelord, possibly motivated to be better than his older brother or anyone else for that matter much like Azula.

Sektos

[43]Jun 17, 2009
    • level: 10
    MarryLarry wrote:

Using reality as an argument is a really poor excuse since in reality people can't shoot fire out of their bare hands and the whole discussion becomes mute.

People have actually been knocked out and even killed by lightning that struck the ground 20+ feet away from them whereas Ozai's lightning struck no more than a foot from him. That means he got most of the shock and still managed to get right back up. And I think we can agree that a lightning bolt backs more umph than a blast of fire.

Iroh may very well have been the best when he was younger, but after his son died, he entered into retirement. The fight between him and those firebenders at the North Pole was probably the 1st time he's used firebending in combat since then. Ozai meanwhile, as explained by the writers, continually worked out and trained as Firelord, possibly motivated to be better than his older brother or anyone else for that matter much like Azula.

No, saying this ISNT reality is a good point- just because in real life that would happen, doesnt mean in a cartoon where u have spirits and bending 'elements' it would happen. Ozai showed NOOOO signs at all of having been shocked. People who have been affected by lightning has shown signs that they have been. He was simply blown back into the wall; and i say this watching the clip as i type this (again- i did it last time i posted). I actually think that if Ozai didnt use lightning (or used it in a surprise attack) he would beat the now old Iroh (though we never got a chance to see how good the now beefed up Iroh of S3 was). BUT that does not change the fact that Ozai would ATLEAST be as hurt as Zuko (who actually partially redirected the lightning) if he had it redirected at him. It would be game over unless he managed to dodge it in time (which we saw he was unable to do for both ZUko and Aang; aang actually refusing to hit him like Zuko also).

MarryLarry

[44]Jun 17, 2009
    • level: 11

The side effects of a lightning strike differ from person to person, not only in reality, but also the show. Iroh received singed hair. But Zuko, both when he successfully and half-successfully redirected it, never once showed so much as a split end. When Aang was shot by Azula, he never had sparks flying out of him after the lightning had already passed through him unlike Zuko. The only sign that he had even been shot was his torn clothes where it entered and exited his body.

But I think we shouldn't even be using Zuko and Iroh as examples since they were using a special technique when it hit them.

And since Ozai was constantly training in case anyone ever challenged him, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually shocked himself with some low voltage bolts so he could build up a tolerance to it in case a firebender like his brother challenged him for the throne. Not saying that makes him immune to it, but it might help explain his quick recovery...though it's possible for anyone to do so if the voltage isn't too high.