We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

SOTFN Katara's Underwater Scene

Songoftheskies

[61]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 6

cg_619 wrote:
    Katara deserves the praise she is strong and courages and her waterbending skills are awesome why would n-e one have a grudge agianst katara!

Have you actually been reading this thread?

I liked Katara in The Waterbending Master. Yes, she did act out of line, but as she traveled across the world to find a master,who then turned her down, she was just needed to get her anger out. And as the result ended up with both Katara and Aang being taught, I don't think it was that bad a thing to do.

As for the Waterbending Scroll, I see??the point about Katara being perfect and how nobody was angry at the end. All those points are good ones.

For the timeline, I have no idea how long it was from 1-18 to 1-19 and 1-20, but I think the time difference from the season finale to Avatar State was about 3 weeks, based on what Iroh said.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

metalcurtainrod

[62]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 10
    Songoftheskies wrote:

cg_619 wrote:
    Katara deserves the praise she is strong and courages and her waterbending skills are awesome why would n-e one have a grudge agianst katara!

Have you actually been reading this thread?

I liked Katara in The Waterbending Master. Yes, she did act out of line, but as she traveled across the world to find a master,who then turned her down, she was just needed to get her anger out. And as the result ended up with both Katara and Aang being taught, I don't think it was that bad a thing to do.

As for the Waterbending Scroll, I see??the point about Katara being perfect and how nobody was angry at the end. All those points are good ones.

For the timeline, I have no idea how long it was from 1-18 to 1-19 and 1-20, but I think the time difference from the season finale to Avatar State was about 3 weeks, based on what Iroh said.

I said this on a different thread before:

About Katara's quick mastery of waterbending:

Now, people don't really know exactly how long the time lapse between "the Waterbending Master" and "the Siege of the North."

However, I think an appropriate estimate would be a couple days.

In "the Waterbending Master", the pirates attempt to kill Zuko. In the end of the episode, they show zuko with some cuts on his face.

In "the siege of the north", the cuts don't seem to have healed at all, so it couldn't have been more than a couple days after "the Waterbending Master."

AirNomad

[63]Aug 23, 2006
    • level: 12
    Why are people calling it the underwater scene if it is just Katara ringing out her hair.?? Or am i looking at the wrong picture
    Edited on 08/23/2006 9:34am

Earthbender0820

[64]Aug 29, 2006
    • level: 3

hey has anyone noticed that katara has actual lips in that pic.

Azula has one too

gilvatar

[65]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 17
    piranhapete wrote:
    I think some Katara haters go a little overboard. For example, in Gilmore Girls, I absolutely despise Logan Huntzberger (I just wanna pinch his head right off!!!) but not so much that it stops me from enjoying the scenes he's in. IMO if you hate Katara so much you start disliking episodes for her character, then you have a problem and you probably need to let it go.

You like GG too? I thought I was the only one who liked GG & avatar. but back to topic, I agree with you (even with the logan thing)

starreh

[66]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 8
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 09/01/2006 8:47pm

starreh

[67]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 8
    Dude Katara is my favorite. And it's a freaking CARTOON. stfu. The creators will do whatever they want, you all sound like idiots. I give you your opinons and all that crap, but damn, the creators will do what they want to make the show work. Without Katara the avatar wouldn't have been found in the first place. SO NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH. xD

dumbTVnut

[68]Sep 1, 2006
    So katara will be shown swimming, showing less skin then the average bikini, and this is a big deal? Seriously that is not even fan service in my book! Fan service would be her skinny-dipping! I am also baffled how this starts a debate on the quality of this charater.

phoenixfirework

[69]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 21
    dumbTVnut wrote:
    So katara will be shown swimming, showing less skin then the average bikini, and this is a big deal? Seriously that is not even fan service in my book! Fan service would be her skinny-dipping! I am also baffled how this starts a debate on the quality of this charater.

I'm not trying to incite a riot, I'm just explaining why some people don't like this scene.
    Its because Katara, is again, being praised and given too much camera time. Seriously, she's getting as much attention as Aang. And while the creators are uncessacarily praising her, Sokka and Toph are being shunned. Sokka's been reduced to nothing but the comic relief and Toph is always in the shadows. All because Katara has not as of yet in season 2, been humilated or insulted in any way, like the others. And is being praised for no reason at all, in contrast to never being insulted. That's why some people are so angry with this scene.

[70]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 5

phoenixfirework wrote:
    dumbTVnut wrote:

I'm not trying to incite a riot, I'm just explaining why some people don't like this scene.
    Its because Katara, is again, being praised and given too much camera time. Seriously, she's getting as much attention as Aang. And while the creators are uncessacarily praising her, Sokka and Toph are being shunned. Sokka's been reduced to nothing but the comic relief and Toph is always in the shadows. All because Katara has not as of yet in season 2, been humilated or insulted in any way, like the others. And is being praised for no reason at all, in contrast to never being insulted. That's why some people are so angry with this scene.

Wow, this thread is still going?
    And actually, I don't think anyone was praising Katara as she was swimming. It's hot, and she's just talking a dip. That's it. Mild fan service for some, and a way to get Aang all flustered. Really, that's all it is. And Sokka and Toph are not being shunned at all. In SotFN, they're really advancing as characters.

piranhapete

[71]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 11
    phoenixfirework wrote:
    dumbTVnut wrote:

Well first of all, Sokka's the comic relief. It's his JOB to make laughs, some of which are a bit self-destructive. Second of all, Toph, yes is in the gAang, but has only been in it for a few episodes. Katara has TOO been humiliated! What was "The Chase" all about? It was about Katara being TOO motherly/bossy and cranky. In my eyes Toph was being better than Katara in Chapter 8.

AND SHE IS GOING SWIMMING. Wow! That's praise! (end sarcasm) You haven't even SEEN the episode yet, and you're judging it already? Furthermore, you should just say "why I'M unhappy with the scene" because I haven't seen a single person except you complain about it here on the forums.

lilykt7

[72]Sep 2, 2006
    You guys do we really need an entire topic to talk about Katara in a bathing suit? I haven't read any other posts in fear of Katara bashing but seriously, FOUR PAGES FULL OF DISSCUSSION ABOUT KATARA SWIMMING! Alright I should go before I'm mauled to death....

iiMNOTOKAY

[73]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 17
    lilykt7 wrote:
    You guys do we really need an entire topic to talk about Katara in a bathing suit? I haven't read any other posts in fear of Katara bashing but seriously, FOUR PAGES FULL OF DISSCUSSION ABOUT KATARA SWIMMING! Alright I should go before I'm mauled to death....

I thought the samee thing...

SapphireStones

[74]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 15
    I don't see it as a scene where she's getting praise and much attention as Aang and stuff...now when it comes to other episodes (Seige of the North, waterbending scroll) I totally agree with you. She does get off too easily for being bossy and a bit mean. And she becomes a master Waay too fast.

But this scene? I can't exactly say anything (NONE OF US CAN REALLY) because WE HAVEN'T SEEN THE EPISODE YET. Let's wait until seeing the movie before we make our opinions based on a few clips and some pics, okay?

Cheer up. I get what ur trying to say .

phoenixfirework

[75]Sep 2, 2006
    piranhapete wrote:
    phoenixfirework wrote:
    dumbTVnut wrote:

Well first of all, Sokka's the comic relief. It's his JOB to make laughs, some of which are a bit self-destructive. Second of all, Toph, yes is in the gAang, but has only been in it for a few episodes. Katara has TOO been humiliated! What was "The Chase" all about? It was about Katara being TOO motherly/bossy and cranky. In my eyes Toph was being better than Katara in Chapter 8.

AND SHE IS GOING SWIMMING. Wow! That's praise! (end sarcasm) You haven't even SEEN the episode yet, and you're judging it already? Furthermore, you should just say "why I'M unhappy with the scene" because I haven't seen a single person except you complain about it here on the forums.

The swimming scene is apparently like that sparkly pink scene in "The Fortuneteller", its just there to praise Katara who has been for this entire second season, praised. It gets annoying, not once has she been made fun or shown in a bad light, and then this comes along.
    People that attended comic con that saw this scene have said that she look incredibly beautiful. HELLO, we get it. She's always been beatiful. Then again, those people that said she looked beautiful may have just been Katara fan boys. Who knows. Anyway, I'm getting tired of this. With the Katara fans fighting the Katara haters, so can we just drop it.

Colonel_Brian

[76]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 12
    Well you can't expect Katara to be hated everywhere they were fanboysi bet if Toph was being called beautiful you would hate it it's not like there abandon it's just a scene it's not important it only last a few seconds Katara jumps in the water comes out scene is done big deal!

phoenixfirework

[77]Sep 2, 2006
    Colonel_Brian wrote:
    Well you can't expect Katara to be hated everywhere they were fanboysi bet if Toph was being called beautiful you would hate it it's not like there abandon it's just a scene it's not important it only last a few seconds Katara jumps in the water comes out scene is done big deal!

I just don't like how everyone made such a big deal over it. It was embarrassing, then again I really can't talk. But if Toph was called beautiful, that would mess with her tough girl attitude. Though she deserves some praise. If Toph let her hair down, I'd say she'd look very pretty.

metalcurtainrod

[78]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 10
    phoenixfirework wrote:
    Colonel_Brian wrote:

I just don't like how everyone made such a big deal over it. It was embarrassing, then again I really can't talk. But if Toph was called beautiful, that would mess with her tough girl attitude. Though she deserves some praise. If Toph let her hair down, I'd say she'd look very pretty.

Katara looks pretty with her hair down too...

phoenixfirework

[79]Sep 2, 2006
    metalcurtainrod wrote:
    phoenixfirework wrote:
    Colonel_Brian wrote:

Katara looks pretty with her hair down too...

Yeah, but enough of Katara with her hair down. Its annoying- to me at least. We get it, she's pretty either way.
    I'd like to see Toph with her hair down.

ravenshadow112

[80]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 9

Um...can some one show me the pic? I'm sorta at loss here...she's underwater now??? LINK PLEASE!

And Katara is my Fave character, you guys bash her for no reason. She can't be perfect. Just because she isn't as Emo as Sokka is and as young as Aang is and as Depressing as Zuko is you bash her. She's awesome, she has real qualities. That's character development. ^_^