We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Sand Benders!?!

kiki93088

[21]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 3
    i think it is just earth bending. they are in the earth nation, and the sand benders live in a part of the earth nation where there is no dirt, just sand. they have to work with what they have.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MasterToph

[22]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 9
    ya and in one episode aang bends the smoke around him

UGamer08

[23]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 23

the_yssa wrote:
    cobe2001 wrote:
    the_yssa wrote:
    cobe2001 wrote:
    the_yssa wrote:
    soccerdawg76 wrote:
    How can sand benders be earth benders? Toph spent the whole episode complaining about not being on solid land, just loose sand.
    Sandbending is a specific form of earthbending, just like the swamp people were a different/specific form of waterbending. Toph was just mad because sand is loose and vibrations don't go through as well like it would if it was totally solid.
    How was the swamp people different waterbenders? Don't they just bend water?
    They bend it differently. As you have probably seen, they don't use the normal martial art style of waterbending.
    Well, I wasn't really paying attention. So how did they do it differently? Plus, if they're different, maybe they might be called Swamp-Waterbender? Or Swampbender?
    Ha! It's a bit hard to explain how they did it differently! Do you remember when they were in their boats and they moved the water by rotating their arms.....yeah that's not normal waterbending, though, Katara was seen doing it once. Ummm...I think in the movie, Swampbender was mentioned...or maybe it was swamp man....but whatever, it's based on your opinion really. I think it's a different kind of waterbending, but you might not. Whatever!

Well I for one am surprised you didn't mention vinebending anywhere in this. Also, Won Shi Ton (the owl guy) did mention that waterbending is apparently divided into three styles: Northern Water style, Southern Water style, and Foggy Swamp style. I think its??fairly easy to tell which tribe each one belongs to.

thndrbndr

[24]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 7

Sandbenders are just earthbenders that live in the desert??since they live their they can bend??sand easily than other earthbenders??

Budokaisp

[25]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 5
    the_yssa wrote:
    The_Rebell wrote:

Sand benders!?? How!?? When you thought there was only four element benders...?? Of course it could be a branch of Earth benders.?? What do you think of this new devlopment??? Agree...Disagree?

I thought it was a nice development! We saw how there were different types of waterbenders and now we see different types of earthbenders. I wonder if there's something like that for firebenders??

Firebenders do bend another thing called...LIGHTNING??

dumbTVnut

[26]Jul 15, 2006
    I wonder if among the (now dead) air benders there was "Sound" bending?

EagleScout351

[27]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 2
    It is not a new element. It is just a form of Earth Bending because sand is considered Earth.

Till next time- EagleScout351

MasterToph

[28]Jul 15, 2006

dumbTVnut wrote:

Sound bending ya you watch naruto the sound village people still that would be cool but there probly wernt

dumbTVnut

[29]Jul 15, 2006
    MasterToph wrote:

dumbTVnut wrote:

Sound bending ya you watch naruto the sound village people still that would be cool but there probly wernt

I was thinking more along the lines of giant worms, desert planet, spice mining... get my drift.

Anyways there might be a lost city of airbenders hiding up a mountain somewhere with mysterious nearly lost airbending arts. Probably something we will see in the third season. fingers cross on sound bending... would like to see someone scream somebody to death.

cjclifford

[30]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 6

soccerdawg76 wrote:
    How can sand benders be earth benders? Toph spent the whole episode complaining about not being on solid land, just loose sand.

Toph did bend the sand into rock while she was trying to keep the library from sinking because she needed something more solid to stand on then sand.?? And she tried to save Apa by bending the sand at the "Sand Benders," but since the vibrations don't travel well in the loose sand, she could tell exactly where they were.

So, sand bending is still earth bending, otherwise Toph wouldn't have been able to bend it.

MasterToph

[31]Jul 15, 2006
    dumbTVnut wrote:
    MasterToph wrote:

dumbTVnut wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of giant worms, desert planet, spice mining... get my drift. Anyways there might be a lost city of airbenders hiding up a mountain somewhere with mysterious nearly lost airbending arts. Probably something we will see in the third season. fingers cross on sound bending... would like to see someone scream somebody to death.

i see that would be cool they could be so deadly killl without a sound?? crazy but that probly wont happen

GuardiansofVeil

[32]Jul 15, 2006
    cobe2001 wrote:
    Well, now we know there are 3 branched benders. Lightning Bender, Sand Bender, and Swamp Bender. Wonder if there's more.

theres not really even branch types of bending... SandBendingis EarthBending... they just call the Earthbenders there sand benders because it was a tribe there still Earthbenders i think that if they weer on solid ground they would be able to bend it. LightningBending is just a complicated technique of FireBending all FireBenders can do it but they need to have the piece of mind and the appropriate skill, concentration, etc. And SwampWaterbending is just a style of WaterBending when they bend the water in the vines, roots, etc of the plants.

Carnego

[33]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 8
    Basically it is just earthbending with??just more concentratin on tiny bits of sand which are technically rock, so it is just bending thousands of tiny specks of rocks into any shape or form.

cobe2001

[34]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 11
    GuardiansofVeil wrote:
    cobe2001 wrote:
    Well, now we know there are 3 branched benders. Lightning Bender, Sand Bender, and Swamp Bender. Wonder if there's more.

theres not really even branch types of bending... SandBendingis EarthBending... they just call the Earthbenders there sand benders because it was a tribe there still Earthbenders i think that if they weer on solid ground they would be able to bend it. LightningBending is just a complicated technique of FireBending all FireBenders can do it but they need to have the piece of mind and the appropriate skill, concentration, etc. And SwampWaterbending is just a style of WaterBending when they bend the water in the vines, roots, etc of the plants.
    True, true. Although, I still wonder if there are other benders with different names than the 4 main ones. In a way, they are kinda like branches.

Waterbending - Swampbending

Firebending - Lightningbending

Earthbending - Sandbending

They're all branches of the main element. I wonder if there's one for Airbending.

UGamer08

[35]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 23
    MasterToph wrote:

dumbTVnut wrote:

Come to think of it, that doesn't sound too far-fetched, especially for a tv show. After all, sound is nothing more than the tiny??vibrations of molecules in the air. Forgive if it sounds like I ripped it off the show.

hego007

[36]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 1
    cobe2001 wrote:
    the_yssa wrote:
    MasterToph wrote:
    the_yssa wrote:
    The_Rebell wrote:

Sand benders!?? How!?? When you thought there was only four element benders...?? Of course it could be a branch of Earth benders.?? What do you think of this new devlopment??? Agree...Disagree?

I thought it was a nice development! We saw how there were different types of waterbenders and now we see different types of earthbenders. I wonder if there's something like that for firebenders??

ya cant wait to see ash benders

Ha! Ashbenders....good one! Watch it come true!
    You said there were different types of Waterbender? When?

The owl said that he had study Nothern style, southern style, and even swamp style, to Kitara when she threatened him with waterbending

aa_623

[37]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 17
    I wonder what possibly could be a branch off of Airbending... There's got to be one...

MasterToph

[38]Jul 15, 2006
    i gusse sound bending would be a veary odd possibility

The_Rebell

[39]Aug 2, 2006

the_yssa wrote:
    soccerdawg76 wrote:
    Sandbending is a specific form of earthbending, just like the swamp people were a different/specific form of waterbending. Toph was just mad because sand is loose and vibrations don't go through as well like it would if it was totally solid.

Well if this is true (about toph complaning about the vibrations and the sand).?? Why didn't she complain in the episode (I believe it was called the chase)?? when appa sheds and they run...remember??? Anway in the end Aang was in the middle of the dessert in a deserted town.?? Why didn't she complain then??? Or am I just making noise??? input please...

The_Rebell

[40]Aug 2, 2006
    UGamer08 wrote:

the_yssa wrote:
    cobe2001 wrote:
    the_yssa wrote:
    cobe2001 wrote:
    the_yssa wrote:
    soccerdawg76 wrote:
    How was the swamp people different waterbenders? Don't they just bend water?
    They bend it differently. As you have probably seen, they don't use the normal martial art style of waterbending.
    Well, I wasn't really paying attention. So how did they do it differently? Plus, if they're different, maybe they might be called Swamp-Waterbender? Or Swampbender?
    Ha! It's a bit hard to explain how they did it differently! Do you remember when they were in their boats and they moved the water by rotating their arms.....yeah that's not normal waterbending, though, Katara was seen doing it once. Ummm...I think in the movie, Swampbender was mentioned...or maybe it was swamp man....but whatever, it's based on your opinion really. I think it's a different kind of waterbending, but you might not. Whatever!

Well I for one am surprised you didn't mention vinebending anywhere in this. Also, Won Shi Ton (the owl guy) did mention that waterbending is apparently divided into three styles: Northern Water style, Southern Water style, and Foggy Swamp style. I think its??fairly easy to tell which tribe each one belongs to.

Wait a minuto!?? I thought that katara was the only south pole waterbender left in her tribe.?? If that's true then shouldn't the south??style of waterbending be extinct. Katara did learn the northern water style did she not?!