We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Official Azula Discussion Thread

rgc19

[41]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 5
    Azula did not beat Zuko. Beating someone implies certain constraints. In this case, these constraints were very specific (Agni Kai). Yes, Azula shot a bolt of lightning that Zuko intercepted (more impressive to me). Killing/hurting someone doesn't mean that you beat them. Example, assassinations, poisonings, and CHEAP SHOTS. Hope that this much is clear.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Axrendale

[42]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 10
    Meh. I still hold that cheap = smart. And smart = good.

Axrendale

[43]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 10

tawn11 wrote:
    Im a big Azula fan, but in defense to Katara, factors are the day/night situation, and the location and amount of water available to Katara can be a factor as well. I honestly dont know how Azula can get out of Katara's grip on a full moon when blood bending is going on though. That kind of seems like a god-mode move.

You deal with a blood-bender the same way you deal with an avatar in the avatar state - sneak up behind them and blast them in the back with lightning. If you miss or they dodge, then you're screwed. Fortunatly, Azula usually doesn't miss.

rgc19

[44]Sep 26, 2008

Axrendale wrote:
    Meh. I still hold that cheap = smart. And smart = good.

Man do I know that much. And while I don't agree with you, it's an opinion and it's not really debatable. My post is directed to isabelwhatx.

isabelwhatx

[45]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 14
    rgc19 wrote:
    Azula did not beat Zuko. Beating someone implies certain constraints. In this case, these constraints were very specific (Agni Kai). Yes, Azula shot a bolt of lightning that Zuko intercepted (more impressive to me). Killing/hurting someone doesn't mean that you beat them. Example, assassinations, poisonings, and CHEAP SHOTS. Hope that this much is clear.

In an Agni Kai, when the person is no longer able to battle OR forfeits, they officially lose. Zuko was no longer able to battle, therefore Azula won.

PsychoPass

[46]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 11
    It could be argued that she won the battle but lost the war.

Besides it wasn't about honor or respect! They were fighting to kill each other. Not determine who's more righteous. ;/

isabelwhatx

[47]Sep 26, 2008

I was reading this short story by Edgar Allen Poe called "THE CASK OF AMONTILLADO". The main character is "pure evil". He successfully kills a man, Fortunado, by manipulating him. The main character reminded me of Azula.

My teacher said something interesting. "The only truly evil men are the men that use their unmatchable understanding of people to manipulate them." It reminded me of the quote, "I'm a people person." Which, ironically, was so true. Azula wins her battles by manipulation, just as the main character in TCOA does.

An example of the main character manipulation is the following:

(scene: The main character is luring Fortunado into an underground layer to bury him alive)

"Nitre," I replied. "How long have you had that cough?"

"Ugh! ugh! ugh!--ugh! ugh! ugh!--ugh! ugh! ugh!--ugh! ugh! ugh! ugh! ugh! ugh!" My poor friend found it impossible to reply. for many minutes. "It is nothing," he said at last.

"Come," I said, with decision, "we will go back; your health is precious. You are rich, respected, admired, beloved; you are happy, as once I was. You are a man to be missed. For me it is no matter. We will go back; you will be ill, and I cannot be responsible. Besides, there is Luchesi--"

"Enough," he said: "the cough is a mere nothing; it will not kill me. I shall not die of a cough."

The main character uses reverse psychology to keep Fortunado from running away. It reminded me of how Azula uses other's weaknesses to achieve her goals. The main character knew that Fortunado is a man with great pride and would never go back on his word. All the main character had to do was make sure that Fortunado would admit to being fine, therefore Fortunado couldn't complain the rest of the trip and submit to whatever the main character had in store.

I'll get more into it later, I'm tired.

ThisCrazyGuy

[48]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 8
    PsychoPass wrote:
    It could be argued that she won the battle but lost the war.

Besides it wasn't about honor or respect! They were fighting to kill each other. Not determine who's more righteous. ;/
    This might be the best point of all...

FireLordZuko93

[49]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 12
    isabelwhatx wrote:

I was reading this short story by Edgar Allen Poe called "THE CASK OF AMONTILLADO". The main character is "pure evil". He successfully kills a man, Fortunado, by manipulating him. The main character reminded me of Azula.

My teacher said something interesting. "The only truly evil men are the men that use their unmatchable understanding of people to manipulate them." It reminded me of the quote, "I'm a people person." Which, ironically, was so true. Azula wins her battles by manipulation, just as the main character in TCOA does.

(scene: The main character is luring Fortunado into an underground layer to bury him alive)

"Ugh! ugh! ugh!--ugh! ugh! ugh!--ugh! ugh! ugh!--ugh! ugh! ugh! ugh! ugh! ugh!" My poor friend found it impossible to reply. for many minutes. "It is nothing," he said at last.

"Come," I said, with decision, "we will go back; your health is precious. You are rich, respected, admired, beloved; you are happy, as once I was. You are a man to be missed. For me it is no matter. We will go back; you will be ill, and I cannot be responsible. Besides, there is Luchesi--"

"Enough," he said: "the cough is a mere nothing; it will not kill me. I shall not die of a cough."

The main character uses reverse psychology to keep Fortunado from running away. It reminded me of how Azula uses other's weaknesses to achieve her goals. The main character knew that Fortunado is a man with great pride and would never go back on his word. All the main character had to do was make sure that Fortunado would admit to being fine, therefore Fortunado couldn't complain the rest of the trip and submit to whatever the main character had in store.

OMG I sooo had a English project on that story last year! It was soo depressing!

gilvatar

[50]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 17
    isabelwhatx wrote:

Hey this gives me an idea. Let's play characters in liturature who remind you of Azula. I think the maid (what's her name? I haven't read this book since 9th grade) in Rebecca and REbecca herself remind me of Azula b/c they're both manipulative. like the maid almosst talks the heroen (she has no name) into jumping out a window. How's that for manipulative?

rgc19

[51]Sep 27, 2008

isabelwhatx wrote:
    rgc19 wrote:
    In an Agni Kai, when the person is no longer able to battle OR forfeits, they officially lose. Zuko was no longer able to battle, therefore Azula won.

Yeah but are you missing my point about the constraints? And to the person who said it wasn't about honor, it absolutely was.

PsychoPass

[52]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 11
    rgc19 wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:
    rgc19 wrote:

Yeah but are you missing my point about the constraints? And to the person who said it wasn't about honor, it absolutely was.

Please explain to me how it was about "honor" and not a fight to the death.

ThisCrazyGuy

[53]Sep 27, 2008
    It was not a battle about honour at all... As said before, when you are fighting someone ruthlessly to the death, all respect and pride goes out the window... If it was about honour, we could just say Zuko was the most dis-honourable person there, by choosing to fight Azula when she was mentally unstable... Azula was all around smarter than Zuko was (Sane or Insane), deal with it... You may not be a fan of her methods to victory, but quite frankly if Zuko hadn't been an idiot and ASKED for a Lightning bolt, then it wouldn't have even got to that point... So really, we can blame Zuko for his loss.

isabelwhatx

[54]Sep 27, 2008
    FireLordZuko93 wrote:

OMG I sooo had a English project on that story last year! It was soo depressing!

I thought it was awesome. Ahahahaa, I'm into that sort of stuff. I like gothic romanticism, but only the spiritual/evil stuff. Not with heroines and stuff.

isabelwhatx

[55]Sep 27, 2008
    rgc19 wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:
    rgc19 wrote:

What constraints did she break? She never hurt anyone outside the Agni Kai.

microwave234

[56]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 9
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    It was not a battle about honour at all... As said before, when you are fighting someone ruthlessly to the death, all respect and pride goes out the window... If it was about honour, we could just say Zuko was the most dis-honourable person there, by choosing to fight Azula when she was mentally unstable... Azula was all around smarter than Zuko was (Sane or Insane), deal with it... You may not be a fan of her methods to victory, but quite frankly if Zuko hadn't been an idiot and ASKED for a Lightning bolt, then it wouldn't have even got to that point... So really, we can blame Zuko for his loss.
    Lol.. Azula accepted the fight.

ThisCrazyGuy

[57]Sep 27, 2008
    microwave234 wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Lol.. She barely even knew she was insane.

ThisCrazyGuy

[58]Sep 27, 2008
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    microwave234 wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    And that's not even the point anyway...

microwave234

[59]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 9
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    microwave234 wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Yes and Zuko was supposed to know right away?

hotangelcrazy

[60]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 2

gilvatar wrote:
    Hey this gives me an idea. Let's play characters in liturature who remind you of Azula. I think the maid (what's her name? I haven't read this book since 9th grade) in Rebecca and REbecca herself remind me of Azula b/c they're both manipulative. like the maid almosst talks the heroen (she has no name) into jumping out a window. How's that for manipulative?

Okay this may seem weird but Azula reminds me Cathy/Kate from John Steinbeck's East of Eden. There both extremely smart, clever,manipulative, determined, and evil. Of course Kate was a whore in parts of the book but I just mean their pesonalities. Has any one read the book and agree?