We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Official Azula Discussion Thread

FrigginGodess

[21]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 22
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    PsychoPass wrote:
    I think we should have one of those "Broken Fanbase" (TVtropes has the meaning) debates/discussions/arguments. I've always wanted to be involved with one of those. The vehemence from both sides will be mutually understood so it's all good. :F

I can't find it in there?

What?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jackson5050

[22]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 12
    I was not an Azula fanatic for much of Avatar's run. That slowly changed, however, as Book Three began. I found myself most interested in Azula's actions, and found myself drawn to discovering how Azula acted under (relatively) normal conditions. When the final ten episodes were unfurling before my eyes, the storyline I was most interested in was neither Aang vs Ozai nor Zuko and Iroh's reunion. No, I was most interested in what happened to Azula. The trailer for the final half of Book Three showed enough for me to surmise that Azula was going to crash...and hard. When I realized the reason I was watching Avatar was because of Azula, well, I became a crazed fan.

PsychoPass

[23]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 11

FrigginGodess wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    PsychoPass wrote:
    I think we should have one of those "Broken Fanbase" (TVtropes has the meaning) debates/discussions/arguments. I've always wanted to be involved with one of those. The vehemence from both sides will be mutually understood so it's all good. :F
    I can't find it in there?
    What?

Broken Base

It's actually called "Broken Base". Sorry for the mix-up. But yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

fantasyleader2

[24]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 3
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    rgc19 wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:
    Just a little FYI, Azula completely beat Zuko in the Agni Kai. So don't start that on here. It'll get ugly.

We've been over this a million times. Azula did not beat Zuko in the Agni Kai. Once she launched that illegal shot she forfeited all claims to victory in that fight. Now notice I say victory, not success. Victory comes with specifications (namely, those of the Agni Kai). Success, on the other hand, is measured in absolute terms. Plus, she neither killed Zuko nor won the fight in the end, so I'm not really sure how she won or beat anyone.

Not trying to start fights here, and I'm definitely not an Azula hater (second fave char.). But I just can't let statements like that pass.

I know Axrendale will probably fight me to the death on this one.

All because she didn't kill Zuko doesn't mean she didn't win. Zuko didn't kill Zhao, but he won the Agni Kai.

One thing is certain. No one ever beat Azula in a fight fair and square.

Chaospyro

[25]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 10
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Just a little FYI, Azula completely beat Zuko in the Agni Kai. So don't start that on here. It'll get ugly.

I think I just have to agree to disagree with you on that one .

microwave234

[26]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 9
    fantasyleader2 wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    rgc19 wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

We've been over this a million times. Azula did not beat Zuko in the Agni Kai. Once she launched that illegal shot she forfeited all claims to victory in that fight. Now notice I say victory, not success. Victory comes with specifications (namely, those of the Agni Kai). Success, on the other hand, is measured in absolute terms. Plus, she neither killed Zuko nor won the fight in the end, so I'm not really sure how she won or beat anyone.

Not trying to start fights here, and I'm definitely not an Azula hater (second fave char.). But I just can't let statements like that pass.

All because she didn't kill Zuko doesn't mean she didn't win. Zuko didn't kill Zhao, but he won the Agni Kai.

Aang in Avatar state?

isabelwhatx

[27]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 14
    Jackson5050 wrote:
    I was not an Azula fanatic for much of Avatar's run. That slowly changed, however, as Book Three began. I found myself most interested in Azula's actions, and found myself drawn to discovering how Azula acted under (relatively) normal conditions. When the final ten episodes were unfurling before my eyes, the storyline I was most interested in was neither Aang vs Ozai nor Zuko and Iroh's reunion. No, I was most interested in what happened to Azula. The trailer for the final half of Book Three showed enough for me to surmise that Azula was going to crash...and hard. When I realized the reason I was watching Avatar was because of Azula, well, I became a crazed fan.

Same. Azula was never my favourite character until the start of the third season. That's when I truly discovered how epic she was.

isabelwhatx

[28]Sep 26, 2008
    microwave234 wrote:
    fantasyleader2 wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    rgc19 wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

Aang in Avatar state?

Hasn't beaten Azula, because they've never really fought. But, if anything, Azula beat Aang in the Avatar state by killing him. Of course, it wasn't really fair, so.

Jackson5050

[29]Sep 26, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Jackson5050 wrote:

Same. Azula was never my favourite character until the start of the third season. That's when I truly discovered how epic she was.
    Hmmmm, I hope you are not plagiarizing my totally awesome story, isabel. Taking my story and attempting to pass it off as your own is a serious offense.

FireLordZuko93

[30]Sep 26, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:

Zuko beat Azula!! SHE DIDN'T WIN!!!
    *runs away before rabid Azula fans attack*

ThisCrazyGuy

[31]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 8
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Jackson5050 wrote:

Actually, my story is similar to you guys' stories... I hated her, but loved her at the same time, and her character development was arguably THE best (Or at least ONE of them) in the series, and was seriously stuff of legend...

ThisCrazyGuy

[32]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 8
    Oh, and since it's quite obvious that people are going to charge into this thread and rant on about how cool or "hot" Zuko is and how he is supposedly "better" than Azula (People already seem to be trying to do that), I would like to publicly state, that Azula OWNS Zuko, and beat him in the final battle...
    Edited on 09/27/2008 4:05am

isabelwhatx

[33]Sep 26, 2008
    Jackson5050 wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Jackson5050 wrote:

Hmmmm, I hope you are not plagiarizing my totally awesome story, isabel. Taking my story and attempting to pass it off as your own is a serious offense.

Ahahaha, I am not. In fact, I was a bi more... oblivious to Azula than you were. I never gave her a second thought. However, when the trailer came out for NYCC, that's when I started really paying attention and lurking Azula conversations. Good times, good times

isabelwhatx

[34]Sep 26, 2008
    FireLordZuko93 wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:

Zuko beat Azula!! SHE DIDN'T WIN!!!
    *runs away before rabid Azula fans attack*

She didn't win, in the end, but she definitely beat Zuko. You're 50% right.

PsychoPass

[35]Sep 26, 2008
    How come Katara fans never boast about her legit defeat of Azula? I mean, it can't be argued that she was the one who brought down Azula yet we keep arguing about wether or not it was "legal" for Azula to shoot at someone outside of the duel (battle, really).
    Edited on 09/26/2008 1:03pm

isabelwhatx

[36]Sep 26, 2008
    PsychoPass wrote:
    How come Katara fans never boast about her legit defeat of Azula? I mean, it can't be argued that she did.

Probably because most Katara fans don't really care about her epic qualities, just that she's nice and hot.

Axrendale

[37]Sep 26, 2008

Once upon a time they probably would have, but has anyone else noticed that since the finale Katara fans have been kind of scarce?

Personally, I think it is because (IMO), even if Katara might beat Azula, Azula definitely over-shadows her. Take the COD fight. Azula's almost-loss to Katara was her one low point in the fight - she completly dominated the rest of the fight - she was the one who took Aang out of the picture (twice), it when the time came to take Katara out, it was Azula who delivered the final blow. Zuko never actually managed to beat anyone on his own in that fight. In SC, there is the obvious insanity issue, and our comforting fact that there was a moment when sane Azula could easily have burned Katara away to nothing but a pile of ashes, but instead chose to simply walk into a trap after bad-mouthing her opponent (tsk, tsk).

Is there anyone here who hasn't heard my Hannibal Barca/Scipio Africanus / Napoleon Bonaparte/Duke of Wellinton example, or can I post it again

PsychoPass

[38]Sep 26, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

Once upon a time they probably would have, but has anyone else noticed that since the finale Katara fans have been kind of scarce?

Personally, I think it is because (IMO), even if Katara might beat Azula, Azula definitely over-shadows her. Take the COD fight. Azula's almost-loss to Katara was her one low point in the fight - she completly dominated the rest of the fight - she was the one who took Aang out of the picture (twice), it when the time came to take Katara out, it was Azula who delivered the final blow. Zuko never actually managed to beat anyone on his own in that fight. In SC, there is the obvious insanity issue, and our comforting fact that there was a moment when sane Azula could easily have burned Katara away to nothing but a pile of ashes, but instead chose to simply walk into a trap after bad-mouthing her opponent (tsk, tsk).

Is there anyone here who hasn't heard my Hannibal Barca/Scipio Africanus / Napoleon Bonaparte/Duke of Wellinton example, or can I post it again

I still think Katara should get some more credit. I know she didn't do much but she pulled that incredibly hold-your-breath matrix move as well as actually chaining Azula to the ground and bringing her to her defeat reaaally reaaally slowly. I mus say, I've watched that entire scene many times now and it still gets me. WHAM! Both are frozen in ice instantaneously at the blink of an eye... and then comes the slow wrapping of the chains. Beautiful. I'm done tangent'ing now. ;p

----

Only if you typed it again. Just kidding. I think we've all read it at least twice. ;p

Edited on 09/26/2008 3:46pm

libraman_92

[39]Sep 26, 2008
    AZULA PWNS IN HOTNESS AND IN BENDING.

tawn11

[40]Sep 26, 2008
    • level: 3
    Im a big Azula fan, but in defense to Katara, factors are the day/night situation, and the location and amount of water available to Katara can be a factor as well. I honestly dont know how Azula can get out of Katara's grip on a full moon when blood bending is going on though. That kind of seems like a god-mode move.