We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Is M. Night gonna ruin Airbender?

IAMROGUE

[1]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 1

Here's the trailer again, and a break down. We're rooting for him, but we'll be unbias in our assessment http://iamrogue.com/social/posts/m-night-shyamalan-s-the-last-airbender

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 32
    He hasn't made a good movie in a while, quite frankly THE Sixth Sense has really been his only good movie so probably.
    Edited on 03/25/2010 4:41pm

AllieAllie

[3]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 22

I'm not totally sure this movie will be amazing, but from the trailers and what I've heard of the movie I don't think it will be completely terrible.

_Flutterlight_

[4]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 15
    I'd say it's a possibility. I just saw a trailer where they pronounced Sokka's name "Sock-o".

Luckily, they've fixed that recently. But still, if they're not paying close enough attention to get a main character's name right in a trailer...

ranger8060

[5]Mar 29, 2010
    • level: 7
    No.

Trollwrangler

[6]Mar 30, 2010
    • level: 5

The knee jerk reaction we all probably have of "Are you F*cking crazy and retarded?" to the statement "Live action Avatar movie" is I think due to if said movie was not adapted without taking liberties with the story we would all call foul, but if it was adapted almost word for word it would be pointless anyway.

I think this hypothesis is the unconscious basis for why we're all so wary.

_Flutterlight_

[7]Mar 31, 2010
    I'm still a little upset over the whole Sok-ko thing. Honestly, if they mispronounce one of the main character's names wrong in the movie, I'm just going to walk out.

ranger8060

[8]Mar 31, 2010
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    I'm still a little upset over the whole Sok-ko thing. Honestly, if they mispronounce one of the main character's names wrong in the movie, I'm just going to walk out.

Sokka will be pronounced Soa-ka
    Aang will be pronounced Ahng
    Iroh will be pronounced Ee-roh These are the traditional and correct pronunciations for these names, but were "Americanized" in the show. So yeah.

_Flutterlight_

[9]Apr 1, 2010
    There's a big difference between pronouncing a character's name the traditional way, and just plain old mispronouncing the name altogether. Sok-ko would still be a mispronunciation. And I will still walk out of the movie if they say Sokka's name like that.

pFalavolito

[10]Apr 1, 2010
    • level: 2

The action looks pretty decent, hopefully the acting isn't terrible

ranger8060

[11]Apr 1, 2010
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    There's a big difference between pronouncing a character's name the traditional way, and just plain old mispronouncing the name altogether. Sok-ko would still be a mispronunciation. And I will still walk out of the movie if they say Sokka's name like that.

Why would Sokka be called Sok-ko? o.O Lol, don't waste your time and money going to see the movie if you want all the names to be pronounced the same way as the show. You'll only be let down.

_Flutterlight_

[12]Apr 2, 2010
    They called Sokka "Sok-ko" in one of the commercials for the movie.

I'll be fine if/when they pronounce the character's names the traditional way. It's the blatant mispronunciations (not alternate pronunciations) that make me upset.

ranger8060

[13]Apr 2, 2010
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    They called Sokka "Sok-ko" in one of the commercials for the movie.

I'll be fine if/when they pronounce the character's names the traditional way. It's the blatant mispronunciations (not alternate pronunciations) that make me upset.

If you're talking about the KCA slimebending commercial, it was not pronounced Sok-ko. It was Soaka, and it will be pronounced Soaka in the movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKqAVJunFIU

_Flutterlight_

[14]Apr 2, 2010
    No, it was a different commercial, and they only aired it once. (I'm assuming/hoping somebody complained and it was corrected).

WWinnieF

[15]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 20

ranger8060 wrote:
    These are the traditional and correct pronunciations for these names, but were "Americanized" in the show. So yeah.
    Umm...the show IS American. Sure, it has an anime feel, but then, most 2D cartoons do, anymore. The point is, the movie has to be a good representation of the franchise or else, it will be like most cartoon-to-live-action adaptations. As we know, most renditions of a cartoon becoming reality--the superhero ones (i.e. Batman, Spiderman, Superman, X-Men, et al) as the main exception--SUCK. Surely, we don't want that happening to Avatar. We want a faithful adaptation that does well to promote the franchise in a good light, instead of making a feature and merely slapping the name of a franchise onto the film just for money (as was the case with Disney's crappy rendition of Underdog, as a primary example, because the makers of that travesty outright admitted to knowing nothing of the franchise & even the co-creator of the original cartoon--Joe Harris--hated the film due to the abundance of needless "potty humor", giving the superheroic pooch a master, and various other factors that ruined the movie).

Edited on 04/04/2010 7:19pm
    Edited 8 total times.

Sagerian

[16]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 9
    I'm looking forward to it. I had my doubts but I recently read the interview with Shamalamb and it looks like he really does want to stay true to the feel of the series ( butless humour due to having to cram season 1 into a movie).

hueyf

[17]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 6

I have a couple concerns with the movie. It looks like hes not going to copy the show exactly. Aangs forehead tattoo doesnt go all the way down the back his head and down his back. I dont think its connected. I didnt see zukos scar over his eye for examples but overall M. did a good job visually and looks like he followed the story very well.

JandSman

[18]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 32
    I think he may the casting like Katara and Sokka seem could have been casted much better. And that guy doesn't look like Aang and his Arrows are blue not designs in them just a solid blue then when he goes into the avatar state they glow is that so hard. And the movie just doesn't seem to have any type of humor in it. I could see no humor in Season 3 definetly even maybe in Season 2. But season 1 has a lot of humor and it would be wrong to take that away from the show.

edmasterchaos

[19]Jun 22, 2010
    • level: 41
    The solid bright blue tatoos are ok in animation, but if they were used the same in the movie they wouldn't look as cool as these tatoos and most importantly would be really really silly looking and distracting. And, there are comedic moments in the movie, we've seen a few in the trailers so far.

_Flutterlight_

[20]Jun 28, 2010
    So far, I don't like what I've seen. I really don't like the fact that the fire nation has been given dreadlocks, and Aang looks WAY too serious in everything I've seen so far. It's totally different from his personality in the show.