We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Why the delay?

cornergas94

[1]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 5

The first episode aired in Canada on July 8, 2007 but it took 11 months for it to show on CN. What took them so long? Why didn't they air the show maybe a week behind Canada (just for S&P). I think that's what Canadian networks do with popular American shows like 24 or My Name Is Earl. I remember looking on Wikipedia and it mentioned TDI as a mention in popular culture for Fight Club. I had never heard of the show and then saw it come on CN. I hope next season they try to not have a huge gap between Canadian airdates and U.S. airdates. Why didn't they leave at most a 6 week gap between the shows.

Anyways, anyone know why it took almost a year for CN to start showing TDI?

Edited on 08/08/2008 6:18am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

foobacoligist

[2]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 10
    I don't know for sure, but my best guess is all the editing they had to do. it took a while. also, I'm not sure they had originally planned to air this show in America, so another guess is once CN heard of it (say, 5 months after) then it takes a while to arrange the deal, and do the editing, like I said before.

typogirl

[3]Aug 6, 2008
    I have no idea, I just hope that we get to see Total Drama Action episodes first, just like Canada saw some American shows before we did. Ex: Spongebob, Avatar, etc.

cornergas94

[4]Aug 6, 2008
    Not first, it's Canada's show; but at the same time or at the very least one week behind Teletoon. It's not fun when you can know who will win the second the first show comes on. That's like knowing that in Harry Potter 6, SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE! Did I type that or think that? Oops.

typogirl

[5]Aug 6, 2008
    Yeah, I think that'll be best.

Vesren

[6]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 9
    Well my guess on this is that

A. Cartoon Network needed to do their unecessary editing.

B. They wanted to see what kind of ratings it would get first.

cornergas94

[7]Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, I can see that for picking up a show, you know, censor and see if people would watch it. But I saw it in the NY Times as one of the most watched cable shows so I guess the ratings are good. So why not air the second season at the same time as in Canada, maybe leave a one week difference for S&P but air the finales at the same time. On June 5 I knew who would win so I have no reason to watch other than how do they get to that conclusion.

Also, they gave it a PG rating. PG! That means hell, damn, freakin and other kind of swear words are OK and every kid will know them by the time they're in middle school. I don't know, ever since Janet Jackson, American TV has been really careful not to offend anyone to avoid a lawsuit or huge FCC fine.

"They might be neurotic, or possibly psychotic, they're the fellas at the freakin' FCC!"

maritimer00

[8]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 71
    When the show first aired, the producers only had a contract with Teletoon in Canada to broadacst it. Halfway thru airing the show's first season (probably around the same time Hollywood writers went on strike), there was a decision to see if the show could be sold to US or European markets.

Once CN showed they were interested, they probably requested edits to the show for the target audience they had in mind. Once done that, CN might have delayed a bit to figure the best time to start showing the series.

There have been shows in the past and present that many months passed before they aired in Canada...Justice League, the current Spider-Man series, etc.

Oh, and don't be too certain on the winner being the same...there is more flexibility in a show when the focus is mostly on two or three characters in the final eps...

alagaesian

[9]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 12
    They probably planned the show to be just Canadian. When CN found out about it and wanted it on their channel, they probably had to get all the voice actors back together to record the censored parts. The censored bits will probably be recorded with the rest of the show, since CN will probably order the second season, so the gap will probably be shorter than this.

Kristy101

[10]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 15
    Most likely because of the whole editing plus it takes a while for them to choice to air shows or not and seeing it is more mature than most of their shows they most likely had alot to think about.

NejiShikamaru

[11]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 13
    Or they were checking each episode to know which warning labels to put on before the show and after the commercials

cornergas94

[12]Aug 6, 2008
    Well, let's hope that season 2 is a bit closer to Canada's airdates. And no, there is no way they would follow the rest of the show and have the other person win.

ally1313

[13]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 6
    They just probably decided not to show it until then. They are two totally different networks, it's not like they're the same.

nate4123

[14]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 16
    I was thinking because of the edits that CN had to do to show TDI in their network. I know there were a few words and explicit things that are not suitable for kids, so CN had to do all these modifications before airing it in the network. I don't really care for these things since I can just handle what's up in TDI, but the delay could have been shorter. Since CN is aimed for kids, possible 10+, I think they have done a good move. They now have good ratings and positive feedback from the viewers. CN has done a great job!

cornergas94

[15]Aug 8, 2008

nate4123 wrote:
    I was thinking because of the edits that CN had to do to show TDI in their network. I know there were a few words and explicit things that are not suitable for kids, so CN had to do all these modifications before airing it in the network. I think they have done a good move. They now have good ratings and positive feedback from the viewers. CN has done a great job!

What do you mean, good edits! They wanted to show out of Adult Swim (do not poison the Garden of Eden), but think "freaking" is bad? It's not fun watching a reality show when Wikipedia already has the results up. That may work for sitcoms you have to follow, but not something you MUST watch in series. The only reason I watch it is for the drama and for more detail. Wikipedia is like CliffsNotes, you get the gist, but you still need to read the book if you're about to take a test over it. That is, unless these rumors of Gwen winning the US version are true, then I could see needing a few months for animation to take place.