We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Who deserved to sue the show?

Who deserved to sue the show?

PintheDog

[21]May 21, 2009
    • level: 29
    Tough to say.

I think Heather's the only one of those four with no real right to sue. Sure, it was another technicality she didn't know about that took her out, but still . . .

Courtney was in a really good spot to at least make the merge (though since most of the other campers didn't like her that much and only tolerated her, she'd have been one of the first to go home by that point, anyway), and it got shot to pot because of some vengeful little weasel's stupid grudge against her boyfriend. And no, production knew what'd happened to her. They knew good and well what happened at the time of her elimination, but did nothing. So she had every right to sue.

Owen got physically injured on the show, something he'd usually have no right to sue over. However, as has been said, it was by a staff member, not by a third party. So he'd have every right to sue. Chris knew that, too, which is why he bribed him with sharing the Gaffers' reward that week.

Leshawna? I think she'd have somewhat of a right to sue, given that none of the eliminated contestants even meant to vote her off. (Damn Katie and Sadie for being dumb enough to get the ball rolling, though.) She'd have the right to sue mainly because Chris knew good and well that they weren't meaning to vote her off, yet ran with it, anyway. Probably to keep Heather on as the villain, which is, for Leshawna, even worse.

Overall, I think I'd place their rights to sue, from most right to least, like this:

1. Owen
    2. Courtney
    3. Leshawna

But one and two, as far as I'm concerned, can actually be pretty interchangeable, since both Owen and Courtney would have very good cases.
    Edited on 05/21/2009 5:52pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SqueakyYugi

[22]May 22, 2009
    • level: 13

PintheDog wrote:

Courtney was in a really good spot to at least make the merge (though since most of the other campers didn't like her that much and only tolerated her, she'd have been one of the first to go home by that point, anyway), and it got shot to pot because of some vengeful little weasel's stupid grudge against her boyfriend. And no, production knew what'd happened to her. They knew good and well what happened at the time of her elimination, but did nothing. So she had every right to sue.

I can't figure out what Courtney hopes to gain from the lawsuit other than personal satisfaction. I mean, they can't undo "Basic Starining" unless they have a time machine. And she can't prove that she would have won the competition, there's plenty of evidence to cast a shadow of doubt on that I guess that maybe she could negotiate an out-of-court settlement, since the network would want to avoid a lawsuit if possible.

And how do you know that production knew, at the time of her elimination, that Harold rigged the ballot box?

Edited on 05/22/2009 11:17am

PintheDog

[23]May 22, 2009
    • level: 29
    SqueakyYugi wrote:
    And how do you know that production knew, at the time of her elimination, that Harold rigged the ballot box?

There was a camera right there in the voting confessional booth! Pretty hard for them not to know.

If, by some odd chance, they really didn't know till a few eliminations later, then that makes them even more culpable because it's their job to make sure the votes are legit each week, not every few weeks. By neglecting to check the footage until it was too late to do anything, they allowed Harold to get away with cheating.

SqueakyYugi

[24]May 22, 2009

PintheDog wrote:
    There was a camera right there in the voting confessional booth! Pretty hard for them not to know.

The camera's duct taped to a wall; there's no cameraman watching. The tapes wouldn't be seen until they need to start splicing footage, which happpens during production.

TBMSFriday

[25]Jun 17, 2009
    • level: 9
    Cody is really the only one who could actually sue them (I haven't seen that episode of TDA where Owen gets hurt, curse me having to live in America)

It's kinda stupid to sue for wrongful termination (*cough* Courtney) basic reality show knowledge: If you decide to become a couple with anyone on the show, it's best to make sure said person has no enemies. I don't think LeShawna would really want to sue, she didn't really seem mad, just kinda surprised.

I guess Trent could sue (even though he's not on the poll) he got injured every other episode, which was pretty funny....

I don't think you could sue a reality show for getting your head shaved, plus it wasn't really the show that got Heather eliminated, it was Owen and Gwen...soooo...

CrystalCoconut

[26]Jun 17, 2009
    • level: 11
    TBMSFriday wrote:
    Cody is really the only one who could actually sue them (I haven't seen that episode of TDA where Owen gets hurt, curse me having to live in America)

It's kinda stupid to sue for wrongful termination (*cough* Courtney) basic reality show knowledge: If you decide to become a couple with anyone on the show, it's best to make sure said person has no enemies. I don't think LeShawna would really want to sue, she didn't really seem mad, just kinda surprised.

I guess Trent could sue (even though he's not on the poll) he got injured every other episode, which was pretty funny....

I don't think you could sue a reality show for getting your head shaved, plus it wasn't really the show that got Heather eliminated, it was Owen and Gwen...soooo...

Oh pffft. Your just a nerd standing up for harold.
    Please tell me why courtney did NOT deserve to sue the show cuz u did not have a good reason.
    wheather its stupid or not to think that.
    what harold did was illegal.

NejiShikamaru

[27]Jun 17, 2009

Cody, he got mauled by a bear!

But in all honesty, none of them. They would all have signed a contract so they wouldn't be legally allowed to sue. Not to say they wouldn't have a case for themselves, but they would be under contract and would have signed away the right to sue.

Edited on 06/17/2009 4:24pm

n5d25d90

[28]Jun 17, 2009
    • level: 8
    CrystalCoconut wrote:
    TBMSFriday wrote:

Please tell me why courtney did NOT deserve to sue the show cuz u did not have a good reason.

So what if TBMSFriday is standing up for Harold? YOU are standing up for Courtney.

And besides, if the producers actually cared, they would've done something about it. But let's face it, they probably wanted to get rid of Courtney as much as Chris and Chef did (as seen when they dragged her down the dock and threw her in the boat).

CrystalCoconut

[29]Jun 17, 2009
    n5d25d90 wrote:
    CrystalCoconut wrote:
    TBMSFriday wrote:

So what if TBMSFriday is standing up for Harold? YOU are standing up for Courtney.

And besides, if the producers actually cared, they would've done something about it. But let's face it, they probably wanted to get rid of Courtney as much as Chris and Chef did (as seen when they dragged her down the dock and threw her in the boat).

Yes, yes i am standing up 4 court but atleast mine makes sense

TBMSFriday

[30]Jun 18, 2009
    CrystalCoconut wrote:
    TBMSFriday wrote:

Sorry, relax. Courtney's awesome (my fave girl *cough*) but it's a reality show, stuff's gonna happen. All I'm saying is she doesn't deserve to sue as much as Owen, Cody, and (yes) Trent, who actually got hurt. I want Courtney to be in TDA, and if she has to sue to get there, fine by me...

CrystalCoconut

[31]Jun 18, 2009
    TBMSFriday wrote:
    CrystalCoconut wrote:
    TBMSFriday wrote:
    Cody is really the only one who could actually sue them (I haven't seen that episode of TDA where Owen gets hurt, curse me having to live in America) It's kinda stupid to sue for wrongful termination (*cough* Courtney) basic reality show knowledge: If you decide to become a couple with anyone on the show, it's best to make sure said person has no enemies. I don't think LeShawna would really want to sue, she didn't really seem mad, just kinda surprised. I guess Trent could sue (even though he's not on the poll) he got injured every other episode, which was pretty funny.... I don't think you could sue a reality show for getting your head shaved, plus it wasn't really the show that got Heather eliminated, it was Owen and Gwen...soooo...
    Oh pffft. Your just a nerd standing up for harold. Please tell me why courtney did NOT deserve to sue the show cuz u did not have a good reason. wheather its stupid or not to think that. what harold did was illegal.
    Sorry, relax. Courtney's awesome (my fave girl *cough*) but it's a reality show, stuff's gonna happen. All I'm saying is she doesn't deserve to sue as much as Owen, Cody, and (yes) Trent, who actually got hurt. I want Courtney to be in TDA, and if she has to sue to get there, fine by me...
    Yes but you said that courtney didn't deserve to sue at all. and u didnt have a good reason. u said they should have expected it. How? How could they have done that?
    Edited on 06/18/2009 9:47am

TBMSFriday

[32]Jun 18, 2009
    CrystalCoconut wrote:
    TBMSFriday wrote:
    CrystalCoconut wrote:
    TBMSFriday wrote:
    Cody is really the only one who could actually sue them (I haven't seen that episode of TDA where Owen gets hurt, curse me having to live in America) It's kinda stupid to sue for wrongful termination (*cough* Courtney) basic reality show knowledge: If you decide to become a couple with anyone on the show, it's best to make sure said person has no enemies. I don't think LeShawna would really want to sue, she didn't really seem mad, just kinda surprised. I guess Trent could sue (even though he's not on the poll) he got injured every other episode, which was pretty funny.... I don't think you could sue a reality show for getting your head shaved, plus it wasn't really the show that got Heather eliminated, it was Owen and Gwen...soooo...
    Oh pffft. Your just a nerd standing up for harold. Please tell me why courtney did NOT deserve to sue the show cuz u did not have a good reason. wheather its stupid or not to think that. what harold did was illegal.
    Yes but you said that courtney didn't deserve to sue at all. and u didnt have a good reason. u said they should have expected it. How? How could they have done that?

Yeah, I guess I'm not explaining it that well, sorry. I meant to say she DOES have rights to sue, just not as much as Cody for example, who got hurt during the show. I never said they should of expected it (even I, a Harold (and Courtney ) fan was very shocked (and very annoyed...) at Harold's actions.) I just trying to be funny (didn't really work out, huh?) saying if you must find a boyfriend on a reality show, make sure no one has a grudge against them, or you will, sadly, be the next Courtney. So, long story short, she does in fact have rights to sue, but the charges against the show in her case would not be as great as the charges against the show in (example) Cody's case. Hope I cleared things up.

alagaesian

[33]Jun 18, 2009
    • level: 12
    Owen probably has the right to sue the most. Considering that Chris had to talk Owen into not suing, then the contract didn't properly protect against that kind of incident. Not to mention that Owen was doped on meds, so the 'agreement' doesn't really count.

LeShawna doesn't deserve to sue at all. Those 17 were responsible for choosing someone to join them at Playa de Losers. If they are stupid enough to accidentally vote LeShawna off, then it's their fault, not Chris's. He made his system very clear when he started counting the unintentional votes. If someone didn't take advantage of it and start yelling 'Heather!' nine times in a row, then again, it's their fault.

Cody? Certainly, there has to be something in the contract to protect the show if a camper is hurt by the wildlife, the other contestants, or their own lack of ability. How else could the show allow so many injuries? If the campers just signed the contract without hiring a proper lawyer, then it's their fault if they get hurt. And, let's face it, how many of them got a good lawyer for the contract? No one even knew about the strings attached for season two. So, neither Cody, Trent, or any other accidentally-injured contestants can sue.

Courtney might or might not be able to sue, depending on how clear the contract is. If it clearly states that no cheating is allowed, then she can. If it doesn't, then she can't. And, like everyone else, it's not Chris's fault that she didn't get a good lawyer before signing.

Heather, no. Her nerve broke. She would have been enthusiastic about kicking Gwen if the situation had been reversed. Chris stated that anyone who wouldn't go through a dare would be kicked out...and she didn't follow through. Good bye.

XiaolinPrincess

[34]Jun 19, 2009
    • level: 21
    Personally, I think that Chef should sue the show. Chef is always forced to dress up in anything and everything (Chris is blatantly torturing Chef). Also as we learn in episode 2 of Total Drama Action, Chef does not get paid. A job that you don't get paid for that is not volunteer work is technically slavery. Chef is a slave of the production! Of course Chef needs to sue the show!

TDMe

[35]Aug 12, 2009
    • level: 7
    XxIcingOnTopxX wrote:
    Ezekiel! partially haha because he never got much of a chance!
    how can he sue for that . he was givin a fair chance

CrystalCoconut

[36]Aug 12, 2009
    TDMe wrote:
    XxIcingOnTopxX wrote:

u like bumping threads

TDMe

[37]Aug 12, 2009
    • level: 7

CrystalCoconut wrote:
    TDMe wrote:
    XxIcingOnTopxX wrote:
    u like bumping threads

it was from late june. off topic person

oojhisgood

[38]May 10, 2010

Owen