We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

TDI Edits

RammerXK5

[1]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 4

I noticed some dialogue doesn't match lip movement in certain scenes of the US airing of the show, indicating it was edited for that version. I just want some clarification from those who saw the show in Canada what they actually said. Examples:

In the first episode, Heather calls Duncan a "goof" but looks more like she called him... I'll say, the D word.

Also in the first episode there was when Chris said "Wow... that's a... shocker" and when the chef called Owen "big guy". The lip movement was very different there too.

In the third episode, where Chris says "Get out", I already know he originally said "shut up". I think that edit was unnecessary, since characters say shut up on CN all the time. And if saying crap and suck is perfectly acceptable, why not this?

Then in the fourth episode Chris said to Duncan "You look like death, dude". Again, different lip movement.

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them now.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed this, and if I can just know what they really said, that'd be great. Just curious, that's all. Thanks in advance

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

foobacoligist

[2]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 10

I'm not sure of the others, but I know that in the 3rd episode, chris says SHUT UP! I've got to see this! that is so freakin' awesome!

and in the 4th one, I'm pretty sure he says you look like crap, not death (I'm from canada)

NejiShikamaru

[3]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 13
    Cartoon Network edits the words to ensure the safety of their younger viewers, it gets obvious where they edit it, although when they said "The Killer Bass are really sucking.", "Oh crap!", and "Get bent (ep. 1 to Duncan by Heather second time when he asks for the bunk)", I figured those to be edited.

He does say "You look like death, dude." and Duncan says "Stick it."

foobacoligist

[4]Jul 29, 2008
    NejiShikamaru wrote:
    Cartoon Network edits the words to ensure the safety of their younger viewers, it gets obvious where they edit it, although when they said "The Killer Bass are really sucking.", "Oh crap!", and "Get bent (ep. 1 to Duncan by Heather second time when he asks for the bunk)", I figured those to be edited. He does say "You look like death, dude." and Duncan says "Stick it."
    auctually, I just saw that episode, and chirs said 'you look like crap, dude!' also, in the first episode, there were TONS of edits ( www.drama.co.nr )

Daprincessalic

[5]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 9
    One thing I don't understand is why they edit out people saying "Shut up" or "This sucks" when they said crap a few times. And they edit out the bleeps.

foobacoligist

[6]Jul 30, 2008
    Daprincessalic wrote:
    One thing I don't understand is why they edit out people saying "Shut up" or "This sucks" when they said crap a few times. And they edit out the bleeps.
    I know, I don't get it! lol if it's already bleeped out, what's the point of editting it out? like, it won't be the end of the world if a little kid says 'oh beep!' lol

Daprincessalic

[7]Jul 30, 2008
    And since when is it a curse to say "Shut up" I never noticed they didn't say that in cartoons or do they?

NejiShikamaru

[8]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 13
    I haven't seen many cartoons that say "Shut up" or anything like that...

Daprincessalic

[9]Jul 30, 2008
    Hm..Never noticed that before dont' see anything wrong with "Shut up"

NatalieTV100

[10]Jul 31, 2008
    They edits are very unnessicary in my opinion. It's like shut up, crap, and sucks aren't bad words people say them everyday. And whats up with editing out the bleeps. It's like it's already bleeped out why edit it? Little kids probally won't understand the bleeps anyways.

RammerXK5

[11]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 4
    NejiShikamaru wrote:
    I haven't seen many cartoons that say "Shut up" or anything like that...
    Actually I've heard "shut up" used in cartoons plenty of times. In fact, Courtney said it later in episode 7 and it wasn't edited. Now why is that?

xxEchostreamxx

[12]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 3
    Some of the edits are a little extreme. They've edited out the words "stupid", "gifts" (while referring to Harold's underwear), and... well it slipped my mind at the moment, but it was another common word that totally could have been left as it was. And yet sometimes they forget to edit out "crap" >.>. Maybe it's several people doing the editing with different standards...

HankL

[13]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 18

The word they edited out regarding Harold's underwear is "kitsch", not "gifts". Kitsch is a Yiddish/Jewish expression that refers to tacky, overly sentimental artwork, though a lot of folks from the Northeastern US and Eastern Anglophonic Canada also use it to refer to dirty underwear. I personally thought that editing out the "Shut ups" for "shut its" was kind of stupid, but then again we do hear "shut it" a few times in the Canadian version as well.

I know that the editing out of "sucks" has to do with the connotation that "sucks" has with fellatio/oral sex. However, most people that use the expression do not mean "performs fellatio" so it's a really silly edit if you ask me. They also edited out the "freaking" Owen said in episode 1--and changed it to "totally"--as in "I'm going to die now! I'm going to totally die now!" WTF? There's nothing wrong with the word "Freaking" it's not like they're saing "for unlawful carnal knowledge." YEEEESSSHHH!!!

Edited on 08/13/2008 6:28pm

snkcole06

[14]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 14
    the edits are soo annoying, i guess they dont want little kiddies hear those words im just guessing is all im still against the whole editing thing

tyrouchiha

[15]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 8
    snkcole06 wrote:
    the edits are soo annoying, i guess they dont want little kiddies hear those words im just guessing is all im still against the whole editing thing

The edits are annoying, and why did you bring back this old topic?

Vesren

[16]Sep 13, 2008
    I was mad when they edited Eva's line of "sister thunder thighs". The was hilarious, there wasn't a real reason for it.