We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Why is Dan so anti-product placement?

Zwingli4

[1]Aug 9, 2012
    • level: 16

It is quite apparent that Mr. Schneider mentions no real life products in his shows (instead of iPAD, we have Pear-PAD, and there is a pear instead of an Apple logo on their laptops). I know his shows are not supposed to be realistic, but does he go too far in his anti-product placement policy? I know I end up sometimes wondering what he is sustituting for. Like in the eppy "i Take on Dingo" he talks about the Dingo cable network. Hmmm, starts with a "D" and its founder is cyrogenically frozen. That sounds so familiar to me (you remember that episode--it was where those Mickey Mouse Dingo script writers stole shamelessly from iCarly), but I can't figure it out. And in that eppy Carly and Sam watched the Dingo show "Totally Terri" and commented how lame it was, with a girl who thought she could disguise herself simply by wearing a blonde wig. That scenario seems so familiar to me, but I searched and searched to find out if there was a show with this premise. I even called my cousin Hannah in Montana but she didn't know. The whole thing is driving me goofy, even to the point of making me dizny--excuse me, dizzy. At any rate, it is obvious that Mr. Schneider absolutely hates product placement, and also a certain other kiddie cable channel. Wink

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

teenj12

[2]Aug 9, 2012
    • level: 26
    He just because he likes being funny .

marcdragicevic

[3]Aug 10, 2012
    • level: 21
    It's a parody of the products and much more.

Spashface = Youtube

If he did use an actual iPhone in the episode, I would assume he would have to pay money to Apple to use their product on tv since it's copyrighted.

Zwingli4

[4]Aug 10, 2012

Actually product placement works the other way around. Companies pay producers to show their products in a TV show or movie. It's a form of "subliminal advertising."

vanillacupcakes

[5]Aug 10, 2012
    Actually, Apple refuses to pay for product placement. A lot of people use Apple products in tv and movies nowadays, but Dan wants to be clever by making his own parody version of it, and honestly, I like it better that way. His "subtle" references to companies and celebrities is as his innuendos(in other words, it isn't), because that's how Dan is.

marcdragicevic

[6]Aug 15, 2012
    Zwingli4 wrote:

Actually product placement works the other way around. Companies pay producers to show their products in a TV show or movie. It's a form of "subliminal advertising."

You're right, just haven't been thinking properly. Cigarette companies gets so much advertising from movies/shows.
    Around 95% of the cigarette advertising these days are from movies/shows.

Zwingli4

[7]Aug 15, 2012

marcdragicevic wrote:
    Zwingli4 wrote:

You're right, just haven't been thinking properly. Cigarette companies gets so much advertising from movies/shows. Around 95% of the cigarette advertising these days are from movies/shows.

Yeah they are not allowed to do TV commercials anymore for their cancer sticks so they have to use more underhanded methods to push their product.

Fireofnature

[8]Aug 15, 2012
    • level: 13
    Zwingli4 wrote:

marcdragicevic wrote:
    Zwingli4 wrote:

You're right, just haven't been thinking properly. Cigarette companies gets so much advertising from movies/shows. Around 95% of the cigarette advertising these days are from movies/shows.

Yeah they are not allowed to do TV commercials anymore for their cancer sticks so they have to use more underhanded methods to push their product.

They've been doing that since before the 50's, even when they aired commercials for them XD. Honestly, product placement has been around for items near as long as television shows have been

vanillacupcakes

[9]Aug 15, 2012
    Oh yeah, Spencer DID wear a cigarette brand shirt of some sort on the show. The costume people and viewers didn't know the brand though, so product placement wasn't intended. The niece of the brand owner decided to "report it" and the owner complained about it being bad for kids. I think that was the owner's way of getting free publicity, rme. Nobody knew your tobacco brand anyways.

I've actually never seen any product placement in any Nickelodeon show...not just Dan's shows. I remember obvious product placement in Nathan Kress's really bad tv movie, but I forget if it was Nickelodeon(it was playing during my work shift...something about video games but not The Best Player).

marcdragicevic

[10]Aug 15, 2012
    Oh in Australia, all cigarette packages must have plain packeting by the end of the year. Not a fan of people smoking near me, drives me nuts. Tv shows should cut down on the characters smoking so much; need to cut it down a bit.

teenj12

[11]Aug 16, 2012
    vanillacupcakes wrote:
    Oh yeah, Spencer DID wear a cigarette brand shirt of some sort on the show. The costume people and viewers didn't know the brand though, so product placement wasn't intended. The niece of the brand owner decided to "report it" and the owner complained about it being bad for kids. I think that was the owner's way of getting free publicity, rme. Nobody knew your tobacco brand anyways.

I've actually never seen any product placement in any Nickelodeon show...not just Dan's shows. I remember obvious product placement in Nathan Kress's really bad tv movie, but I forget if it was Nickelodeon(it was playing during my work shift...something about video games but not The Best Player).
    I think your referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gym_Teacher:_The_Movie

vanillacupcakes

[12]Aug 17, 2012
    But it was about gaming or something....

I looked it up on IMDB and it was called "Game of Your Life". I'm not sure what network that was though, I'm assuming Nickelodeon. Anyways, their product placement was INCREDIBLY obvious. I haven't seen such obvious product placement in awhile. The products were actually one of the only things I remember about that movie.

Diamondgrl13

[13]Aug 17, 2012
    • level: 6
    vanillacupcakes wrote:
    But it was about gaming or something....

I looked it up on IMDB and it was called "Game of Your Life". I'm not sure what network that was though, I'm assuming Nickelodeon. Anyways, their product placement was INCREDIBLY obvious. I haven't seen such obvious product placement in awhile. The products were actually one of the only things I remember about that movie.

It was ABC Family Night, if I remember correctly. And yes, the product placement was very obvious. But I actually kinda liked that movie. It was..different. Quirky. Not like, super awesome or anything, but decent! I watched it twice-once on my own, and once with my parents. I didn't mind. Kinda cool to see him not being in iCarly. Sure, he played basically the same character, but still, seeing him acting with OTHER people..kinda fun. :-)

vanillacupcakes

[14]Aug 17, 2012
    Oh, okay....makes more sense. I don't really watch THAT much Nickelodeon but I haven't seen any product placement in Nick so far. I thought the movie was OK I guess, but I wouldn't see it again. I barely paid attention to it when I was watching it (only because I was working), so maybe I'm wrong. It just wasn't very memorable or special, just a typical tv movie. I preferred Nathan in CSI rather than that movie, since he played a character who wasdifferent than Freddie.

marcdragicevic

[15]Aug 18, 2012
    - " I preferred Nathan in CSI rather than that movie, since he played a character who was different than Freddie."

All characters from iCarly/Victorious need to step out of their comfort zone and play serious roles. It would be nice for a change, see how they react to it.

Fireofnature

[16]Aug 18, 2012
    Jeanette was also in CSI when she was young, both had been in different Law and Order episodes, Miranda's pretty much the only one that has only been on Nick. I hate typecasting roles though, and Nick does that all too much. So we'll probably be seeing clones of Carly, Sam, Freddie, and all for a long time.

MusicAddictBabe

[17]Aug 18, 2012
    • level: 18
    That's another reason why I kinda like Law & Order and CSI. It's interesting to see TV celebrities that I actually know in crime shows because their roles are so different.

Fireofnature

[18]Aug 18, 2012
    I agree, the episodes were pretty good too

vanillacupcakes

[19]Aug 18, 2012
    Jennette didn't do much in CSI, but I liked a lot of her other stuff.
    Miranda was on "The Good Wife" and she did a great job.
    I think good comedy is harder than drama, but I like seeing them do a variety of genres...just because they can. It's different and versatile. Also, they've been in badly written comedies. Obviously nobody is going to be THAT great in a movie that's written by the guy who plays Fred. I always say that these Nickelodeon kids should do a drama role, but nobody ends up doing it. Maybe I should say that these Nickelodeon kids should be in some cool indie movies. I like Josh Peck's movies. More people should have take that route.

teenj12

[20]Aug 19, 2012

Fireofnature wrote:
    Jeanette was also in CSI when she was young, both had been in different Law and Order episodes, Miranda's pretty much the only one that has only been on Nick. I hate typecasting roles though, and Nick does that all too much. So we'll probably be seeing clones of Carly, Sam, Freddie, and all for a long time.
    Miranda played in an episode of The Good Wife I remember and she had a dramatic role. I didn't see it, but I remember some users here saying she did good.

EDIT: Vanilla already said it .

Edited on 08/19/2012 9:00am