We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

The Parents of iCarly - Official Discussion

Fireofnature

[121]Nov 7, 2008
    • level: 13
    giadolphin9965 wrote:
    well, i know somebody who was abused and they did a very good job of hiding it. they acted like i described. the part about sam's shirt is simply an idea. she does wear long sleeves more than the others. do you know how long it took to make that hypothesis? it just kinda insulted the way you answered

Sorry, but I see so many fanfictions where Sam is being abused by her mom/dad/stepdad/whatever...it gets annoying after a while. I don't think it would have taken long to arrive at that. Long sleeves, by the way, are more of a sign of suicidal tendencies when people cut themselves. Though, I do agree that it is also possible people hide bruises that way, I've seen that a lot. However, I highly doubt Sam is being abused, there is not enough circumstantial evidence. You have to research these things. There would be a lot of psychological, mental, emotional, and physical issues that CAN NOT be ignored, not even in a TV show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

giadolphin9965

[122]Nov 8, 2008
    • level: 4
    how do i reply so it is connected to another one?

Fireofnature

[123]Nov 8, 2008
    giadolphin9965 wrote:

giadolphin9965

[124]Nov 9, 2008
    like this?

giadolphin9965

[125]Nov 9, 2008
    i tried the quote but it didn't work.

iCarly317

[126]Nov 9, 2008
    giadolphin9965 wrote:
    i tried the quote but it didn't work.
    Its not hard buddy.

ycc1988

[127]Nov 9, 2008
    • level: 20
    Fireofnature wrote:
    giadolphin9965 wrote:

Replace the curly brackets with square ones:

{QUOTE="source"}Quote goes here{/QUOTE}

Now please remove the past 5 posts. It's cluttering up the thread.

RedRanger14

[128]Nov 9, 2008
    • level: 9

Okay, well anyways back to the topic at hand.

I don't think that Sam's mom is abusive because they wouldnt go that far in a kids show. She might not be the greatest mom either, but I really don't think that is revelant to the show. iCarly really doesn't get into that much detail in people's pasts, or in explaining anything.

As for Carly and Spencer having 2 different mothers, it seems possible. One reason being their 11 year age difference. But it also seems weird that if that was the case, none of the mothers are mentioned. But I would like to know what happened to their mother(s).

Mrs. Benson gives me the impression that she is a single mom. One reason being that she goes away to Japan with Freddie and the gang and doesnt even have to ask or think about what her supposed spouce thinks. So my guess is Freddie's dad never married Mrs. Benson, Freddie is adopted, or his parents got divorced.

As far as parents go though, I don't think we will see any besides Mrs. Benson.

iMIMI37

[129]Nov 9, 2008
    • level: 8
    I also don't think sam's mother is abusive. I think we clearly know now that freddie's mother is single since she went on a date with lewbert.

giadolphin9965

[130]Nov 10, 2008
    i still acn't do it! is it my computer?

Animegirlx

[131]Nov 10, 2008
    • level: 7
    They call Freddie's mom Ms. Benson. Therefore, Freddie's mom is SINGLE we know for sure. I actually like Freddie's mom.

Livyrosebud

[132]Nov 11, 2008

Freddie's mom is obviously single, seeing as she went on a date with Lewbert. Whether Freddie's dad died, or his parents are divorced, I have absolutly no idea. I dont' think they'd make Sam's mom abusive in a kids show; however with Sam mentioning stuff about how her mother doesn't feed her and such, it's pretty obvious she probably ignores Sam, to some extent. As for Spencer and Carly having different mothers, it's very possible, but it's also very possible they have to same mother. My dad is the youngest of 6 brothers and sisters, all from the same mother, and the oldest was 23 when he was born, soooooo.....

Animegirlx

[133]Nov 11, 2008
    • level: 7
    apparently i wasn't filled in on this date with Lewbert

RedRanger14

[134]Nov 12, 2008
    I wasn't either..and I think I saw that episode too. So don't feel bad.

Anybody think that Sam's mom is really young? Because it sounds like she's older...by the way Sam describes her actions. But then again she could be too busy caring about herself than Sam, so I guess she could be younger and all "hip" and such.

nicknameless101

[135]Nov 12, 2008
    • level: 25
    From what I've seen so far, it seems that Freddie's mom and Sam's mom are total opposites, but then again, later episodes might prove me wrong...

iMIMI37

[136]Nov 15, 2008
    RedRanger14 wrote:
    I wasn't either..and I think I saw that episode too. So don't feel bad. Anybody think that Sam's mom is really young? Because it sounds like she's older...by the way Sam describes her actions. But then again she could be too busy caring about herself than Sam, so I guess she could be younger and all "hip" and such.
    I think she's young too because sam has said she doesn't want to be home when her mom wears her mew bathing suit around the house. From what I know no one who's an older mother wears her bathing suit around the house.
    Edited on 11/15/2008 3:40pm

Livyrosebud

[137]Nov 15, 2008
    Yeah, she's most likely a younger mom, but ya never know.....there might be some weird older moms out there you do strange things like that.....

iskabibble07

[138]Nov 18, 2008

Fireofnature wrote:
    giadolphin9965 wrote:
    well, i know somebody who was abused and they did a very good job of hiding it. they acted like i described. the part about sam's shirt is simply an idea. she does wear long sleeves more than the others. do you know how long it took to make that hypothesis? it just kinda insulted the way you answered
    Sorry, but I see so many fanfictions where Sam is being abused by her mom/dad/stepdad/whatever...it gets annoying after a while. I don't think it would have taken long to arrive at that. Long sleeves, by the way, are more of a sign of suicidal tendencies when people cut themselves. Though, I do agree that it is also possible people hide bruises that way, I've seen that a lot. However, I highly doubt Sam is being abused, there is not enough circumstantial evidence. You have to research these things. There would be a lot of psychological, mental, emotional, and physical issues that CAN NOT be ignored, not even in a TV show.

I agree that you do not see signs in Sam's behavior of an abused girl. However, there are issues there. Carly often refers to Sam as her friend with "anger issues". And yes we see her lash out at the dinosaur character on Saves TV. In last years episodes, she often used harsh sarcasm on Freddie but I don't see that as anger because she never got emotionally angry with him. I would call that more of an intimacy issue because the only way she can communicate is through negative comments. Now this year the violence against Freddie has escalated from verbal abuse to physical attacks. They seem more sadistic than the acts of a girl crying out for attention.

The other sign of the inner person reaching out is how Sam seems to have made herself part of the Shay household as a virtual sister to Carly. While Sam never talks of her mother physically abusing her, the acts of not feeding her or not getting out of bed before noon are neglect. But overall Sam is confident, fairly easy going, expresses humor well, happy with a ready smile and quick witted. Not the signs of someone wallowing in internal emotional problems.

Larzee1295

[139]Nov 22, 2008
    Animegirlx wrote:
    They call Freddie's mom Ms. Benson. Therefore, Freddie's mom is SINGLE we know for sure. I actually like Freddie's mom.
    You may be right, but I'm pretty sure I heard them call her "Mrs." Benson at least once. My theory, based on seeing all of the episodes and what another TV.com member said is that either Freddie was adopted and/or Mr. Benson died. If they did call Freddie's mom "Mrs. Benson", she is married. In "iHurt Lewbert", Freddie's mom dates Lewbert. In another episode, Freddie mentioned a time when his mom got angry with him for spilling something on his "Church Pants", implying the two of them are Christians. One of the Ten Commandments is "Thou shalt not commit adultery", so if she is technically still married, he would have to be dead. I have no clue where Sam's dad is, and according to Wikipedia (which isn't always accurate), both of Carly's parents are in the Navy at sea.

giadolphin9965

[140]Nov 23, 2008
    Um, I think Sam's mom could be old...because Sam doesn't want to look at her mom's bikini. My grandma did that once. Ran around in a bathing suit. It wasn't a bikini, but still...that's a lot of grandma.