We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

The Parents of iCarly - Official Discussion

22giggles22

[61]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 3
    Hey, i wonder if Sam or Freddie have any siblings?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Fireofnature

[62]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 13
    If they did, I think we might know...

iskabibble07

[63]Jul 21, 2008
    Fireofnature wrote:
    I agree. It seems that they are both only children. In a way the relatinship between Freddie and Sam when they in the Shay "family unit" is like they are brother and sister becuase they fight alot but deep down they care about each other. So it seems although the seddie people would like it to be more than that.

Fireofnature

[64]Jul 21, 2008
    iskabibble07 wrote:
    Fireofnature wrote:
    I agree. It seems that they are both only children. In a way the relatinship between Freddie and Sam when they in the Shay "family unit" is like they are brother and sister becuase they fight alot but deep down they care about each other. So it seems although the seddie people would like it to be more than that.

Fighting but caring deep down doesn't signify sibling relationships. Though siblings do fight, you can't use that as the only thing that makes them have a sibling relationship. If that's the only thing, then they don't have a sibling relationship at all. My grandparents fight, but care about each other deep down, my parents fought but cared for each other deep down. So you can't safely say that is the one thing that makes them brother sister, got anything else pointing it out?

ultimatekey

[65]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 22
    I know Freddies an only child because, his mom acts like that towards him. I think sam have siblings, dont she have any brothers or sisters?
    Edited on 07/21/2008 4:00pm

iskabibble07

[66]Jul 21, 2008
    Fireofnature wrote:
    iskabibble07 wrote:
    Fireofnature wrote:
    Fighting but caring deep down doesn't signify sibling relationships. Though siblings do fight, you can't use that as the only thing that makes them have a sibling relationship. If that's the only thing, then they don't have a sibling relationship at all. My grandparents fight, but care about each other deep down, my parents fought but cared for each other deep down. So you can't safely say that is the one thing that makes them brother sister, got anything else pointing it out?
    Hey take it easy. I didn't say they were siblings. Just pointed out one similarity. If you don't like my observation, thats fine. It might have been off base. I was really going on an idea I heard that all good shows have a family structure. So if that is true the Carly is sort of the mom and Spencer sort of the dad and Sam and Freddie sort of the kids. But that doesnt mean their relationships are not ok in other ways as friends and maybe romance down the line. Im not saying, Im just saying.

Fireofnature

[67]Jul 21, 2008

iskabibble07 wrote:
    Fireofnature wrote:
    iskabibble07 wrote:
    Fireofnature wrote:
    Hey take it easy. I didn't say they were siblings. Just pointed out one similarity. If you don't like my observation, thats fine. It might have been off base. I was really going on an idea I heard that all good shows have a family structure. So if that is true the Carly is sort of the mom and Spencer sort of the dad and Sam and Freddie sort of the kids. But that doesnt mean their relationships are not ok in other ways as friends and maybe romance down the line. Im not saying, Im just saying.
    I never said I didn't like your statement, actually I agree with it for the most part, but you have to be careful with how it goes. Some people could say that about everyone, the whole brother/sister thing. Spencer/Carly is true...but you could say Sam/Freddie, Carly/Freddie, Sam/Freddie and more have brother/sister relations...since almost anything can signify it.

As for the parents, I have never really seen how Carly acts like a mother except for a few times...but that's just me.

Edited on 07/21/2008 4:48pm

Z101roxsox

[68]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 8

Okay, not sure if this was brought up already or not, but I was just watching iCarly Saves Tv and Turbonick. You know how when Spencer gets cut by the screw driver and screams for Freddie's mom while she runs to get her first aid kit?? He yells, "MRS. BENSON!"

Wouldn't that imply that she's married?

iskabibble07

[69]Jul 22, 2008
    Z101roxsox wrote:

Okay, not sure if this was brought up already or not, but I was just watching iCarly Saves Tv and Turbonick. You know how when Spencer gets cut by the screw driver and screams for Freddie's mom while she runs to get her first aid kit?? He yells, "MRS. BENSON!"

Well calling an older person Mr. or Mrs. is also a sign of respect. The evidence that she comes from the line of the Fencing Bensons from IFence showing that she still has the same last name as her father and grandfather is stronger evidence that she never was married to Freddie's dad. That or she retained her maiden name which she seems little to traditional and old fasioned to do that. But it's a possiblity.

Fireofnature

[70]Jul 22, 2008
    iskabibble07 wrote:
    Z101roxsox wrote:

Well calling an older person Mr. or Mrs. is also a sign of respect. The evidence that she comes from the line of the Fencing Bensons from IFence showing that she still has the same last name as her father and grandfather is stronger evidence that she never was married to Freddie's dad. That or she retained her maiden name which she seems little to traditional and old fasioned to do that. But it's a possiblity.

Don't forget that there is also a possibility that she was married, something happened, they divorced, and she was mad enough that she took back her maiden name.

ultimatekey

[71]Jul 22, 2008
    Well, honestly in my opinion, I'm just being truthful here!
    I think that Freddies dad might be deceased, because wouldnt, his mom act towards that to her son, maybe because Freddie reminds her of his dad. Or Freddies parents wasnt married when he was born.

Now Sam, maybe her parents are divorced, because why else would she act like that? Then, again, she maybe was born whithout her parents married.

Now Carlys Mom, Divorced or deceased?

iskabibble07

[72]Jul 23, 2008
    ultimatekey wrote:
    Well, honestly in my opinion, I'm just being truthful here! I think that Freddies dad might be deceased, because wouldnt, his mom act towards that to her son, maybe because Freddie reminds her of his dad. Or Freddies parents wasnt married when he was born. Now Sam, maybe her parents are divorced, because why else would she act like that? Then, again, she maybe was born whithout her parents married. Now Carlys Mom, Divorced or deceased?
    That is a tough call since she is never mentioned in the show. So the writers can decide it was a divorce if the decide to bring her into the show. All three of these missing parents are wild cards for future shows but probably they will never surface because it might create anxiety of the kid of the parent and mess up how the show works.

iMIMI37

[73]Aug 1, 2008
    That's true.I'm sticking to my theory that Sam's parents are either divorced or her father abandoned her and her mother when she was really young.Freddie's father might be deceased so that explains why his mother is so protective cause he might be all she has left. Carly's mother I have no idea. Until nick says other wise I'll just go with my imagination.

AndreaMSkate

[74]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 49
    ^ Sounds like some good theories to me.

iskabibble07

[75]Aug 2, 2008
    iMIMI37 wrote:
    That's true.I'm sticking to my theory that Sam's parents are either divorced or her father abandoned her and her mother when she was really young.Freddie's father might be deceased so that explains why his mother is so protective cause he might be all she has left. Carly's mother I have no idea. Until nick says other wise I'll just go with my imagination.
    Yeah we know that the reason all of these parents are missing is that it allows the world if the Shay apartment to pretty much function as a kids sanctuary. And that is the fun and part of the magic of the show. But it is odd to have two siblings, Carly and Spencer who never mention mom or dad except when the dad is mentioned in context of being consulted like when Grandpa Shay wanted Carly to move or when Spencer bought the big screen TV for Carly. No talk of missing them or where they are or if the kids would ever see them again. Particularly odd if the mom died. Its like none of these kids miss their parents at all and the two parents we know about, Mrs. Benson and Sam's mom are more a nuisance than a help. But hey, the show works so its all good.
    Edited on 08/02/2008 8:07am

SapphireStones

[76]Aug 2, 2008
    • level: 15
    iskabibble07 wrote:
    iMIMI37 wrote:
    Yeah we know that the reason all of these parents are missing is that it allows the world if the Shay apartment to pretty much function as a kids sanctuary. And that is the fun and part of the magic of the show. But it is odd to have two siblings, Carly and Spencer who never mention mom or dad except when the dad is mentioned in context of being consulted like when Grandpa Shay wanted Carly to move or when Spencer bought the big screen TV for Carly. No talk of missing them or where they are or if the kids would ever see them again. Particularly odd if the mom died. Its like none of these kids miss their parents at all and the two parents we know about, Mrs. Benson and Sam's mom are more a nuisance than a help. But hey, the show works so its all good.

True
    I don't know, even though we know least about Carly's mom, it's still Sam's parents/mom that interests me the most. You see this goofy "angry", sarcastic girl and then she talks about her mom sometimes and it sounds like SHE has to be the adult instead of her mother. Those types of parent/child relationships always interest me most because...well, like speaks to like I guess.
    Freddie's mom...yeah, she's just crazy. I have a feeling Mr. benson left and that's why she has issues. Because if freddie gets 8 bucks a month for allowance "Because she's afraid he'll get on a train and leave her", maybe that stems from the agony of that happening to her already.
    And as for Carly, it seems like most people up here think her mom's dead. I agree.
    Forgive me, i overanalyze way too much.

ultimatekey

[77]Aug 2, 2008
    Freddies mom does a lot of crazy things Frieddie such as rubbing "anti-tick lotion" on Freddie,etc. Sams mom always does something crazy, as in iFence, Sam said that her mom is yelling at the cat to get a job! Also, Sams mom dont feed Sam, because when she got that maid to cook her foods, sghe said it herself, her mom dont feed her. In the episode when they were dreaming they were dancing, Sams mom dont feed her breakfest, thats why she eats it in class. I n that episode when she falls in love with Jona, She was eating Cheese Whiz, and I think she said "Hey I'm just glad my mom got up before noon!"

iMIMI37

[78]Aug 3, 2008
    Sam's situation interests me most also. Everytime she talks about her mother it seems as if she's kind angry about the things her mom does. Like when she said her mother sometimes smiles.It also seems as if she's used to it though and she doesn't expect anything more out of her mother.But I'm an analyist, and I really don't think nick is going to make it a heavy situation as of where any of the parents are. It is a sitcom and they make things lighter so kids as young as 7 could watch it. Sometimes I wish some of these teennick shows could be a little more dramatic, but they can't cause it's nick not the-n.

SapphireStones

[79]Aug 3, 2008
    • level: 15
    iMIMI37 wrote:
    Sam's situation interests me most also. Everytime she talks about her mother it seems as if she's kind angry about the things her mom does. Like when she said her mother sometimes smiles.It also seems as if she's used to it though and she doesn't expect anything more out of her mother.But I'm an analyist, and I really don't think nick is going to make it a heavy situation as of where any of the parents are. It is a sitcom and they make things lighter so kids as young as 7 could watch it. Sometimes I wish some of these teennick shows could be a little more dramatic, but they can't cause it's nick not the-n.

Me too. Even though Sam's always indifferent about her situation i'm sure it's something that really bothers, and possibly hurts her. But like you said, it's nick, not the n.
    (Even though it DOES air on the n now... :lol
    But Carly's life seems the most stable, Freddie's seems the oddest, and Sam's seems the saddest. Maybe that's why she's always so goofy, to hide that.

iskabibble07

[80]Aug 4, 2008
    SapphireStones wrote:
    iMIMI37 wrote:
    Me too. Even though Sam's always indifferent about her situation i'm sure it's something that really bothers, and possibly hurts her. But like you said, it's nick, not the n. (Even though it DOES air on the n now... :lol But Carly's life seems the most stable, Freddie's seems the oddest, and Sam's seems the saddest. Maybe that's why she's always so goofy, to hide that.
    The wierdness of the lives of Sam and Freddie at home clearly is one of the reasons they both retret to the Shay home. As goofy as Spencer is, he still serves as a good adult figure that gives the kids a safe and creative place to be themselves. So keeping Sam and Freddie's homelives as a mess gives us a good chance to see the 4 of them become a family unit in a sense.