We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Is icarly inappropriate for kids?

baskok

[1]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 9

I've noticed several things on the show. 1 - violence. Especially fromSam. She has no problem pushing kids away from her locker or assaultingFreddie every single episode. The imakeSamgirlier episode had a shocking bit where a mean bully girl pushedCarlyon the ground! i thought this belongs on a crimeseries. Shocking! thenCarlylooked to Sam and she ran towards the bully. beating her up. Or the episode where icarly becomes aTVshow the producer wanted a dinosaur guy on so Sam gotannoyedand was beating him up for 30 seconds with an item. Completely useless violence. 2 -innuendos. There are so many phrases with a double meaning (8=D outside the door) just watch. 3 - lack of reality. How couldSpencerbe the legal guardian ofCarly? How does he earn money? he let's her get away withanything. It's like she can do what ever she want's. AndSamhas halve of her family in jail. Also they go to school but have all the time for theirweb show.whichis just two girls acting like five year olds. How did they get so many viewers that fast? 4 - no consequences . They can get caught doing something wrong and still get away with it. It's like there are no rules for them. 5 - acting/laughing band. They are acting so poorly. Miranda just overacts sometimes when things don't go her way. She always smiles for some reason. Thathideouslaughing band every five seconds even when there's nothing going on at all. 6 - Crappy web show. does anyone find that web show part funny?MirandaandJennettemaking bad jokes ....will be continued

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Fireofnature

[2]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 13

Are you serious? You're not serious? And comparing this to a CRIME drama? Lady, I don't know if you're new here or not, and I'm sure you concerned for your kids, but I think I can speak for every member of this board when I respond in two ways:

1) Harsh=Get off this forum. Turn around, walk away, and never look back. Just go, go away. We don't know you, we don't like you, and we don't want you. This is a dang kid show, go bother some forum that really needs it. Just go. We hate when ignorant parents get involved.

2) Nice=No, this show is not inappropriate for kids, ma'am. It's all jokes and kids all over love it. It's a perfectly kid friendly, fun and safe show. Also keep in mind that it is geared towards teenagers too, in the sense that it comes on teen nick and whatnot. So to answer your question, no, it is not inappropriate. You're just taking things too out of context.

There. I'm sure I won't be the last to comment. Basically, I've just summarized in two responses the responses you may end up receiving from the members. There will be people who will shun you and there will be people nice to you. You played your card, now we play ours.

Edited on 02/25/2011 11:32am

saylavee

[3]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 18

1) Well that's just Sam. Besides the violence is not that bad, except in iMet Fred, no one really get hurt (on screen anyways) its not like you see anyone with a black eye or broken bones (iSaved Your Life doesn't count it was off screen and via taco truck)

2) They took away the 8=D in one of the episodes, don't remember which. But its not like a little kid with get it or half of the innuendos anyway.

3) a) ITS A TV SHOW IT FOR KIDS IT DOESN'T HALF TO BE REAL! b) Well Carly's dad works in the...navy right? They probably get money sent from him? Or even their grandfather. Besides Spencer is over 20 he can be the legal guardian. And his sculptures probably do make money, we just go see it. c) Sam's family CAN happen. d) We see them doing projects and hear them talk about homework sometimes. And their webshow is only once a week. Once a week I have school, SAT prep and Community service all in ONE DAY yet I still manage to get my homework done before 10PM. d) they did advertise their show and the amount they got on the first episode wasn't over whelming. But still its a kid's/pre-teens/all ages tv show it doesn't have to be 100% real (I'll touch more of this at the end)

4) Okay I have no argument for that I actually kinda agree with that one

5) How is "bad acting" (which is your opinion btw) inappropriate for kids? I think the actors in Hannah Montanna were horrible but that isn't inappropriate for kids

6) Once again how is that inappropriate.

Touching on that reality thing. I'd like to give you a few examples:

A) Victorious, what are the chances of you getting into a preforming arts school by standing in for your sister? My friend is an awesome preformer, but she wasn't aloud to reschedule her audition to get into LaGuardia. So now there is no for her to even get a chance to go there because there was traffic and she couldn't make it in time. Even if they did bend the rules for Tori she shouldn't have been able to start THAT quickly, its not how school like that work.

B) Hannah Montana, need I say more?

C) Sonny with a Chance. Apparently she started out on a popular webshow then went onto be a star on a comedy. How many people on the web does that happen too? Actually being a web start isn't THAT unrealistic because there are plenty of famous web people.

End theory: Its a kids show. 80% of kids shows are unrealistic cuz kids like it that way.

Now byebye!

Edited on 02/25/2011 8:12am
    Edited 2 total times.

saylavee

[4]Feb 25, 2011
    Fireofnature wrote:
    Are you serious? You're not serious? And comparing this to a CRIME drama? Lady, I don't know if you're new here or not, and I'm sure you concerned for your kids, but I think I can speak for every member of this board when I respond in two ways:

1) Harsh=Get off this forum. Turn around, walk away, and never look back. Just go, go away. We don't know you, we don't like you, and we don't want you. This is a dang kid show, go bother some forum that really needs it. Just go. We hate when ignorant parents get involved.

2) Nice=No, this show is not inappropriate for kids, ma'am. It's all jokes and kids all over love it. It's a perfectly kid friendly, fun and safe show. Also keep in mind that it is geared towards teenagers too, in the sense that it comes on teen nick and whatnot. So to answer your question, no, it is not inappropriate. You're just taking things too out of context.

There. I'm sure I won't be the last to comment.

I guess you got the Bad Cop role xD

Fireofnature

[5]Feb 25, 2011

saylavee wrote:
    Fireofnature wrote:
    Are you serious? You're not serious? And comparing this to a CRIME drama? Lady, I don't know if you're new here or not, and I'm sure you concerned for your kids, but I think I can speak for every member of this board when I respond in two ways: 1) Harsh=Get off this forum. Turn around, walk away, and never look back. Just go, go away. We don't know you, we don't like you, and we don't want you. This is a dang kid show, go bother some forum that really needs it. Just go. We hate when ignorant parents get involved. 2) Nice=No, this show is not inappropriate for kids, ma'am. It's all jokes and kids all over love it. It's a perfectly kid friendly, fun and safe show. Also keep in mind that it is geared towards teenagers too, in the sense that it comes on teen nick and whatnot. So to answer your question, no, it is not inappropriate. You're just taking things too out of context. There. I'm sure I won't be the last to comment.
    I guess you got the Bad Cop role xD

I suppose this bodes well for my criminal justice major then XD

Edited on 02/25/2011 11:37am

RomanZolanski

[6]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 12
    Fireofnature wrote:

There. I'm sure I won't be the last to comment. Basically, I've just summarized in two responses the responses you may end up receiving from the members. There will be people who will shun you and there will be people nice to you. You played your card, now we play ours.

Oh my God, I LOVED your harsh & nice answers! They were HILARIOUS! XD Like legit, this isn't even a kids show; it's more like tween/teen. The innenudoes are somewhat appropriate because it adds maturity, instead of childish humour like Disney Channel. And the violence and Spencer being the guardian are, oh I don't know, NORMAL! Seriously, just dip, because this show isn't designed for kids, and it's actually appropriate for the designed age group.

Kso, deuces!

RomanZolanski

[7]Feb 25, 2011
    saylavee wrote:

1) Well that's just Sam. Besides the violence is not that bad, except in iMet Fred, no one really get hurt (on screen anyways) its not like you see anyone with a black eye or broken bones (iSaved Your Life doesn't count it was off screen and via taco truck)

2) They took away the 8=D in one of the episodes, don't remember which. But its not like a little kid with get it or half of the innuendos anyway.

3) a) ITS A TV SHOW IT FOR KIDS IT DOESN'T HALF TO BE REAL! b) Well Carly's dad works in the...navy right? They probably get money sent from him? Or even their grandfather. Besides Spencer is over 20 he can be the legal guardian. And his sculptures probably do make money, we just go see it. c) Sam's family CAN happen. d) We see them doing projects and hear them talk about homework sometimes. And their webshow is only once a week. Once a week I have school, SAT prep and Community service all in ONE DAY yet I still manage to get my homework done before 10PM. d) they did advertise their show and the amount they got on the first episode wasn't over whelming. But still its a kid's/pre-teens/all ages tv show it doesn't have to be 100% real (I'll touch more of this at the end)

4) Okay I have no argument for that I actually kinda agree with that one

5) How is "bad acting" (which is your opinion btw) inappropriate for kids? I think the actors in Hannah Montanna were horrible but that isn't inappropriate for kids

6) Once again how is that inappropriate.

Touching on that reality thing. I'd like to give you a few examples:

A) Victorious, what are the chances of you getting into a preforming arts school by standing in for your sister? My friend is an awesome preformer, but she wasn't aloud to reschedule her audition to get into LaGuardia. So now there is no for her to even get a chance to go there because there was traffic and she couldn't make it in time. Even if they did bend the rules for Tori she shouldn't have been able to start THAT quickly, its not how school like that work.

B) Hannah Montana, need I say more?

C) Sonny with a Chance. Apparently she started out on a popular webshow then went onto be a star on a comedy. How many people on the web does that happen too? Actually being a web start isn't THAT unrealistic because there are plenty of famous web people.

End theory: Its a kids show. 80% of kids shows are unrealistic cuz kids like it that way.

Now byebye!

And I freaking loved your response! I never read such long posts, but I did with this one! Aha, I love how you guys are so like bad-ass.

teenj12

[8]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 26
    baskok wrote:

I've noticed several things on the show. 1 - violence. Especially fromSam. She has no problem pushing kids away from her locker or assaultingFreddie every single episode. The imakeSamgirlier episode had a shocking bit where a mean bully girl pushedCarlyon the ground! i thought this belongs on a crimeseries. Shocking! thenCarlylooked to Sam and she ran towards the bully. beating her up. Or the episode where icarly becomes aTVshow the producer wanted a dinosaur guy on so Sam gotannoyedand was beating him up for 30 seconds with an item. Completely useless violence. 2 -innuendos. There are so many phrases with a double meaning (8=D outside the door) just watch. 3 - lack of reality. How couldSpencerbe the legal guardian ofCarly? How does he earn money? he let's her get away withanything. It's like she can do what ever she want's. AndSamhas halve of her family in jail. Also they go to school but have all the time for theirweb show.whichis just two girls acting like five year olds. How did they get so many viewers that fast? 4 - no consequences . They can get caught doing something wrong and still get away with it. It's like there are no rules for them. 5 - acting/laughing band. They are acting so poorly. Miranda just overacts sometimes when things don't go her way. She always smiles for some reason. Thathideouslaughing band every five seconds even when there's nothing going on at all. 6 - Crappy web show. does anyone find that web show part funny?MirandaandJennettemaking bad jokes ....will be continued

Are you serious? My four year old sister watches Paranormal Activity and Showgirls. Kids don't want that "goodygoody,mickey mouse,moral of the day" crap anymore. I know that for a FACT. Jesus,the future's gotta be easier than this. Ta ta honey, you've just been dismissed.

marcdragicevic

[9]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 21
    Woah....

teenj12

[10]Feb 25, 2011
    marcdragicevic wrote:
    Woah....
    Yea, I'm in a crappy mood.

marcdragicevic

[11]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 21
    teenj12 wrote:
    marcdragicevic wrote:
    Woah....
    Yea, I'm in a crappy mood.

Nah, I'm not happy at you.
    Anyway, it wasn't directed at you. Directed at the top, they gave iCarly a '1' for show score.

bobfrapples8

[12]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 14

They are in high school. This show is nothing like real high school. It is rated TV-G for a reason. If we had TV the way the initial poster wants, all shows would be called Leave it to Beaver.

MusicAddictBabe

[13]Feb 25, 2011
    See, I used to think this show was too inappropriate too. But then it got me thinking. Disney movies have some hidden adult humor added to them too. It's one of those things where kids won't even question it (or notice it). They put innuendos in shows and movies for kids and such because that way it also appeals to adult audiences too.

But that's just my opinion.

_Flutterlight_

[14]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 15
    I agree that this show is inappropriate. That's why I'm only allowing my children to watch "The Howdy Doody show". I used to let them watch "Leave it to Beaver", but in one of the episodes, Beaver talks back to his brother. I don't allow that kind of horrible television in my house.

You know, both my children are horribly picked on in school. I can't figure out why. They say it's because nobody else uses exclamations like "Gee wiz!" and "Goodness gracious", or refers to adults as "Sir" and "Ma'am", but I know they're just making that up.

Okay, sarcasm aside, (I don't have kids, and I HATE the Howdy Doody show), you could do a lot worse than iCarly. I mean, would you REALLY rather have your kids watch shows like "Pretty Little Liars" or "Degrassi"?

And, just saying, if you crack down that hard on your kids media wise, they're going to get bullied. Big time.

RomanZolanski

[15]Feb 25, 2011
    ^ I LOVE PLLL & DEGRASSI! Aha, anyways, even Disney's "Suite Life on Deck" has innenudoes every now and then. Like in an upcoming episode called "Snakes on a Boat", Cody has a line that says, "I love six," and then there's this long awkward silence. And btw, six could be misheard as... you get my point.

frontman19

[16]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 14

The problem with Disney is that they don't know how to be subtle with their innuendos, they hit you in the face with them and then all the cleverness/humor just goes away. But yeah, for my two cents is that this show isn't inappropriate in the slightest, kids don't pick up on the innuendo's anyway most of the time, and I would hope they are smart enough to realize this is a hyper unrealistic show and stuff like this really never happens in real life.

Fireofnature

[17]Feb 26, 2011
    Ah and to the original poster, I say "I told you so." You were only going to get shot down, and shot down you got. You brought it upon yourself with your ignorance.

saylavee

[18]Feb 26, 2011

_Flutterlight_ wrote:
    I agree that this show is inappropriate. That's why I'm only allowing my children to watch "The Howdy Doody show". I used to let them watch "Leave it to Beaver", but in one of the episodes, Beaver talks back to his brother. I don't allow that kind of horrible television in my house. You know, both my children are horribly picked on in school. I can't figure out why. They say it's because nobody else uses exclamations like "Gee wiz!" and "Goodness gracious", or refers to adults as "Sir" and "Ma'am", but I know they're just making that up. Okay, sarcasm aside, (I don't have kids, and I HATE the Howdy Doody show), you could do a lot worse than iCarly. I mean, would you REALLY rather have your kids watch shows like "Pretty Little Liars" or "Degrassi"? And, just saying, if you crack down that hard on your kids media wise, they're going to get bullied. Big time.

clapping

This applause goes out to all of us, that the first part of your post just made me =D

pscf3

[19]Feb 26, 2011
    • level: 16
    I find it funny that the original poster hasn't posted since post 1.

teenj12

[20]Feb 26, 2011
    pscf3 wrote:
    I find it funny that the original poster hasn't posted since post 1.

Time To Play...

NOOB OR TROLL (jk ).