We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

iCarly going a bit downhill. :(

Is iCarly going downhill?

marcdragicevic

[21]Nov 7, 2012
    • level: 21
    They have rushed into the final last few episodes, been all a blur.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

teenj12

[22]Nov 8, 2012
    • level: 26

vanillacupcakes wrote:
    I don't think it helps that the episodes are barely promoted. It's the last season, and you expect them to make a huge deal out of episodes, and tell them suspenseful questions will be answered in the episode. I forget about new episodes. They didn't really promote Emma Stone. The ratings are really weak. The past episode was the first time it got into the top 25, and it got under 4 million views. We know that questions fans had are going to be answered in the finale, that Carly's dad will appear, etc. Like I don't even watch WOWP, but I know they made a huge deal about "WHO'S GOING TO BE THE FAMILY WIZARD?? FIND OUT!" forever. Nickelodeon is wondering why their episode got so many views? I liked a few of the episodes, but there were some episodes I was too bored to even finish, Gibby and Spencer went from being the best characters to the worst, and there are things that are lacking in the new episodes. However, despite me thinking it's an okay show, or other people still liking it, I don't think iGoodbye will go out with a bang. The fanbase isn't as strong as it used to be, and there won't be too many facts. People are just over this show. Definitely won't get as many as iSYL like some people thought years ago. It would be lucky to get 3/4 as many viewers as iOMG did. Just my opinion, but Dan pretty much killed it with the arc. He should have kept teasing everything for a bit, focusing more on the comedy, and have the main relationship get together at the end.

^This. Overall, there were just a lot of things that ended up sort of killing the show in later seasons and the ratings are proof. One major thing that hurt iCarly was Victorious. Dan really shouldn't write two shows at the same time. If he or Nick wanted something new, they should have ended iCarly in Season 4 while it was still pretty good and then Dan should have rode out with Victorious (until its eventual cancellation in 2012 of course).

I will say, that iCarly isn't the only one suffering rating slump. Nick as a whole has been losing more and more viewers/ratings this year.

marcdragicevic

[23]Nov 8, 2012
    "Cancelled" is the wrong word to use for Victorious.

MusicAddictBabe

[24]Nov 8, 2012
    • level: 18
    VC - I couldn't agree more. I remember when I was in high school still, and I would tell people that I indeed watch iCarly because it was one of those shows that was popular enough not only that people would've heard of but also that it was generally liked, maybe not as much as other shows, but at least you weren't "looked down on" for watching it. Now, I almost never tell people that I watch it unless someone else does first, for a couple reasons. For one thing, I literally don't watch it much anymore and am not as committed to seeing every new episode like I used to. For another thing, let's face it, it really did lose its touch, and not many people I know watch it anymore. I miss the old days when I would come home for school on Wednesdays and they'd have that whole "iCarly's Webbiest Wednesday" block where they'd play a mini marathon of iCarly episodes...since this is one of the few shows they have on Nick nowadays, they don't have to worry about marathons since they play this and the few other shows they have all the time, and even if they did still have that block, it wouldn't quite be the same. I also miss how excited I'd get on Saturdays because I knew that a new episode would be on that night, and sometimes, I'd even go to my cousin's to watch it because she liked it too. It's just not the same anymore.

TJ12 - Yeah. I still wonder to this day why he even started Victorious when he did because iCarly was still going strong. I'm not saying it's a bad show or anything (I like Victorious), but you'd almost think that it would've put a lot of pressure on the guy.

RiciSmokes2

[25]Nov 9, 2012
    • level: 7
    I didn't want to post on this topic until I had watched all of this season bc I kept hoping this season would be really great, but it's pretty slim pickings. I still think its much better than most kid centered tv shows, but compared to it's own old episodes it's lost it's shine. But that happens with most shows, I felt that way with the last 2 seasons of House so I guess it's normal. I also think I got too heavily into the shipping, so when I stopped shipping it felt like something was missing from the show. And I hated the way the writers executed the ships bc neither turned out the way I planned, which is more of a personal problem than anything.

alexspotsme

[26]Nov 9, 2012
    • level: 15
    If anything, I'm using the remainder of my hope and optimism to see a satisfying ending in iGoodbye. While the show is on a low average view, at least we're getting an ending to the show. Most shows don't, because they don't make it so far.

I'm very in tune with iCarly, not just because I have been watching since the premiere back in September 2007. But for the fact that it's come a long way. And again, I hope some fans come back and watch the series finale. It would be a blessing to see the show end at around 4-5 million views. Dan peaked it with the other amazing projects, since they range from 6-12 million views. And again, there's the suspense and questions that we want to ask ourselves when we see these specials/episodes advertised. Nickelodeon better advertise the shiz out of iGoodbye.

iGo To Japan - 7.6m
    iDate a Bad Boy - 6.5m
    iFight Shelby Marx - 7.9m
    iQuit iCarly - 8.8m
    iSaved Your Life - 12.4m
    iPsycho - 7.5m
    iGot a Hot Room - 7.8m (For a Nickelodeon show season premiere; that's AMAZING)
    iDo - 6.7m
    iOMG - 7.4m
    iParty with Victorious - 7.3m

But to be fair, the season 7 episode have yet to land under 3 million views, so I suppose that's good. Season 6 really hit rock bottom with episodes landing in the 2 million area.

It's also too bad that iCarly didn't win too many KCA Blimps, once their trend was starting to weaken. And Victorious took their spot.

Fireofnature

[27]Nov 9, 2012
    • level: 13

I still stand by my belief that the fans killed it. The fanwar between everyone pushed away the viewers who actually cared about the show because they couldn't watch the show in peace without hearing "Seddie this" "Creddie that" everywhere. The writers in the fandom stopped writing and left the fandom and show completely because of all the flaming, and then the producers of iCarly as well as actors had to keep defending themselves. Let's not forget the fans going apesh*t over Nathan's girlfriend. Then the producers had to mess around with relationships when they may or may not have even done it, but you can tell some episodes were done just because of how the fans were acting: I.E. the fanwar episode.

So I will always stand behind my belief that the fans are the reason for iCarly going downhill. The end was inevitable when Seddie and Creddie began. It's like George Washington said of political parties "Political parties will destroy the nation", well ships and crazed shipper fans destroyed iCarly. They killed what iCarly was about, destroyed the dynamic and made the show out to be all about relationships forcing the producers to go that direction. So yes, iCarly's downhill sweep, inevitable at best.

Let's just pray Sam and Cat won't wind up the same way. And of course none of these fans would ever take responsibility for it. Some need to learn to grow up and enjoy a show for what it is, entertainment, not a battleground

Edited on 11/09/2012 11:57am

schillingklaus

[28]Nov 10, 2012
    • level: 12

And I stand by my belief that the show was already broken beyond repair by the end of season two , even before the start of Victorious and of Seddie vs. Creddie episodes, and that fifty episodes are more than enough for any Nickelodeon show.

But neither the degenertion nor the cancellation of the show has prevented me from writing more and more icarly fanfiction. It is now four years since the end of Zoey 101, and I am still excessively busy working on novel sized stories about those people.

Sam and Cat will definitely wind up the same way. Even worse, they will already start that way as they take off where iCarly and Victorious have ended, videlicet as a total mess.

teenj12

[29]Nov 10, 2012
    schillingklaus wrote:

And I stand by my belief that the show was already broken beyond repair by the end of season two , even before the start of Victorious and of Seddie vs. Creddie episodes, and that fifty episodes are more than enough for any Nickelodeon show.

But neither the degenertion nor the cancellation of the show has prevented me from writing more and more icarly fanfiction. It is now four years since the end of Zoey 101, and I am still excessively busy working on novel sized stories about those people.

Sam and Cat will definitely wind up the same way. Even worse, they will already start that way as they take off where iCarly and Victorious have ended, videlicet as a total mess.

Sometimes I wonder if this is your actual opinions or very insane trolling.

schillingklaus

[30]Nov 10, 2012

It is my actual opinion, has always been, and will always be.

Fireofnature

[31]Nov 10, 2012
    Yeah I think he stopped being a troll like ages ago, now it seems whenever he posts it's just his opinion like the rest of us.

vanillacupcakes

[32]Nov 10, 2012
    • level: 16

@MAB: I've never mentioned watching this show at all, but I get what you mean. I don't think people know this show exists anymore, or they thought it ended last year or something. They definitely don't promote episodes like they used to or have a regular Wednesday/Saturday schedule anymore...which is really disappointing. It made it really easy for people to know when the show was on.

I'm still going to say that the shippers made the fandom strong and gave it this massive cult following back in the day. iSYL and iOMG were the "shippiest" episodes and still talked about to this day. Despite iStart a Fanwar not being a good episode, it got a lot of viewers. They totally teased up the "SEDDIE OR CREDDIE?" crap and people went absolutely crazy. The only time the fandom would randomly spark up again was when something shippy would pop up (like iPear Store and iOwn a Restaurant). With non-shippy episodes....there's nothing. Dan isn't trying to cater to any shippers or anything, but it's still unsuccessful. Yes, the people who didn't care about relationships thought iCarly got lame now, but the shippers did too. Sure, iCarly shippers can be annoying as chiz, but when there was masses of these guys, iCarly's ratings went through the roof. Also, anything with Nathan and his girlfriend did not have anything to do with the downfall of iCarly. In fact, I think more people were more excited about Madisen's episode of iCarly than most of the others, that probably boosted the ratings. Any casual fan that doesn't follow iCarly on the internet would have no clue who Madisen Hill even is. People sending hate messages didn't change the way episodes are written. It did tear apart the fandom and make iCarly fans sound really annoying, but that didn't affect Dan. If Dan wanted to cater to them, he would have never broke up Sam and Freddie and he would have given Madisen a bigger role as an antagonist or something. I blame the downfall of iCarly on Nickelodeon and Dan. I blame any iCarly arguments or wars on shippers though. Nothing against super shippers though, because they care a lot about iCarly and that's all that really matters to me.

After the Seddie vs. Creddie thing ended, and it was just Seddie and they were already back together again, all questions were answered and people lost interest. That's why Freddie's question about Carly sparked up some interest, but it's been ignored so nobody cares anymore. I'd still say that shipping is what made our fandom strong. Annoying, but strong. The arc just killed it for everyone.....

1. Non-shippers, because everything was focused on relationships and some episodes weren't funny at all.

2. Creddie shippers, with the unbearable, in your face Seddie. Also, a lot of episodes where Carly is fangirling for Sam and Freddie and is happy they are together, without an inch of jealousy.

3. Seddie shippers, because Dan made the relationship unbearable and out of character, which "ruined" the couple. Also, he broke them up in the end(probably the one moment they were in character and acknowledged the past events).

4. Crack shippers, because there weren't many crack shipping innuendos as regular episodes.

alexspotsme

[33]Nov 10, 2012
    • level: 15
    Okay guys, I'm gonna be honest...

am I the only iCarly fan that ever actually heard of the terms "Creddie" and "Seddie" once the one hour special "iStart a Fan War" aired? Because, I felt as though that started the fire. I really wished that was where the whole fuss ended.

But I still liked iOMG. It was just that Seddie Arc that just milked out the iCarly episodes.

Fireofnature

[34]Nov 10, 2012
    They've been around since the damn show began. Go ahead and look through the pages of this forum even, the oldest locked thread all the way on the last page is "Seddie vs Creddie" way back in 2007/8. Crazed idiot shipper fans have always been around

teenj12

[35]Nov 10, 2012
    As a shipper of both Seddie and Creddie, I kinda don't care what shipping wins. I never have. I just wanted quality iCarly episodes, which the arc totally wasn't. So I do think the arc did play a role in the downfall of iCarly. Then the episodes that followed in S5 and S6 weren't really helping the cause.They were nothing compared to the good old days.

marcdragicevic

[36]Nov 11, 2012
    Never liked the "shipping" part but I'd have to admit it has made the show stronger and then after a while.... weaker.

I just want all the ex-shippers who gave up after Carly/Freddie - Sam/Freddie had separated and watch the series finale.

End the show on a good note.

schillingklaus

[37]Nov 11, 2012

The series final just means hammering home the last nail into the coffin of a show that has been fouled up beyond reason for over three years already. There's no hope for any decent end.

RiciSmokes2

[38]Nov 11, 2012
    • level: 7

I think with any show that's been around for a while, especially a show that was a standout like iCarly, House, Desperate Housewives, time is an enemy. The longer u stay on the air, the more new creative things u have to come up with. If u start out with a younger audience then u have to decide whether to age with them or start a new base. And when there is shipping involved (Seddie, Creddie, Huddy, etc) fans have certain expectation of this romance in their head and u have no idea what it is that they want or they're split down the middle over the direction. So you just write to what u think is real and then u find out that that's not what they wanted and they're angry and leaving in droves. So I think it was a combo of fans/shippers being both good and bad for the show, time, and the poorly executed (in my mind) ships. I'll be watching the last episode.

Edited on 11/11/2012 3:29pm

MusicAddictBabe

[39]Nov 14, 2012
    • level: 18
    The one good thing about iCarly ending is that it's ending while it's ahead. Like, I'm sorry, but shows like Spongebob have been on FAR too long. This is my opinion. The longer some shows are on the air, the less original ideas the creators have for new episodes...you know, they milk it. For instance, I really don't like Spongebob anymore because the quality of the new episodes is just poor compared to the old ones. I can't say much about it because I haven't seen every single one. But I do remember a few that seemed like they were just repeats of old ones (such as something happening where Spongebob and Patrick may not be friends anymore). Thankfully, iCarly hasn't done that yet. The ideas are pretty original. And the fact that it's ending now could actually turn out to be a good thing. Having 7 seasons is good. But I feel like if it were too much longer, it'd REALLY start to go downhill even more. Don't get me wrong, though, I mean, some shows can pull it off. But not a lot of them.

I have high hopes for iGoodbye. I shouldn't, but I do. If it turns out to be one heck of a last episode, I couldn't be more happy. I hate it when shows end on a bad note or they just discontinue. It's like, all those unanswered questions...we'll never know the answers to them....

marcdragicevic

[40]Nov 19, 2012
    I reckon shows tend to hit their peak during the middle and they steadily go down hill from there or end on a high note.
    iCarly hit their peak middle-late for me.