We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

iCarly Fanfiction

Whats your favorite type of fan fic?

seagreen21

[1]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 4

Tallk about and create fanfiction here!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

iCarly317

[2]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 13
    I'd rather have a dramatic story. Like if Carly, Sam, or Freddie had something really bad happen to them and soon they wind up fighting for their life or something. I always like looking for that on comedy shows like this because its a different turn from what you're used to thinking about.

OverkiII

[3]Apr 21, 2009
    • level: 8

iCarly317 wrote:
    I'd rather have a dramatic story. Like if Carly, Sam, or Freddie had something really bad happen to them and soon they wind up fighting for their life or something. I always like looking for that on comedy shows like this because its a different turn from what you're used to thinking about.

Agreed. Out of all three categories, I'd say romance is the worst. It's hard to find a good romantic story in fanfiction because most authors are corrupted of their own feelings and are blind to see that what they write sounds too fake and unrealistic. I tend to avoid romantic fics, even if it's a pairing I like. Drama and comedy for me.

SkyeNite

[4]Apr 21, 2009
    OverkiII wrote:

iCarly317 wrote:

Agreed. Out of all three categories, I'd say romance is the worst. It's hard to find a good romantic story in fanfiction because most authors are corrupted of their own feelings and are blind to see that what they write sounds too fake and unrealistic. I tend to avoid romantic fics, even if it's a pairing I like. Drama and comedy for me.

See i agree that most writers of Romantic fiction are pretty unrealistic but i've noticed the same thing with drama as well most of the time the characters seem... well out of character. They always seem to wear their heart on thier sleeve even if it doesn't seem like something their character would do.

schillingklaus

[5]Apr 22, 2009
    • level: 12

Romantic, in the sense of true romance literature, as described by Richard Chase in The American Novel and Its Tradition

By contrast the romance, following distantly the medieval example, feels free to render reality in less volume and detail. It tends to prefer action to character, and action will be freer in a romance than in a novel, encountering, as it were, less resistance from reality. (This is not always true, as we see in what might be called the static romances of Hawthorne, in which the author uses the allegorical and moral, rather than the dramatic, possibilities of the form.) The romance can flourish without providing much intricacy of relation. The characters, probably rather two-dimensional types, will not be complexly related to each other or to society or to the past. Human beings will on the whole be shown in an ideal relation--that is, they will share emotions only after these have become abstract or symbolic. To be sure, characters may become profoundly involved in some way, as in Hawthorne or Melville, but it will be a deep and narrow, an obsessive, involvement. In American romances it will not matter much what class people come from, and where the novelist would arouse our interest in a character by exploring his origin, the romancer will probably do so by enveloping it in mystery. Character itself becomes, then, somewhat abstract and ideal, so much so in some romances that it seems to be merely a function of plot. The plot we may expect to be highly colored. Astonishing events may occur, and these are likely to have a symbolic or ideological, rather than a realistic, plausibility. Being less committed to the immediate rendition of reality than the novel, the romance will more freely veer toward mythic, allegorical, and symbolistic forms.

My own fanfics are massive multiplot crossovers, crowding characters and events like nobody's business.

OverkiII

[6]May 16, 2009

I actually decided to get off my lazy butt and start writing out an iCarly fanfic idea that has been nagging at me for a while. A conversation made me realize how lacking fanfiction.net is of good iCarly fics, so I tried to make mine as loyal to the show as possible. A key part of this story is that it doesn't deal with pairings so no Seddie for you! xP It's about friendship. And yes, it's an overdone plotline, but I thought it would be fun to write iCarly style. Here's the title and summary:

iSwitch Bodies
    When Carly and Sam have a fight about how each other acts, something weird happens. The girls wake up to find out they have switched bodies. Will Carly and Sam gain a new respect for each other as they go through a day viewed from the other one's eyes?

I linked the story to the title incase anyone's interested.

Edited on 05/16/2009 12:50am

iCarly317

[7]May 16, 2009
    I'm always up for a good story (without relationships). I'll definitely read it soon.

OverkiII

[8]May 16, 2009

iCarly317 wrote:
    I'm always up for a good story (without relationships). I'll definitely read it soon.

Awesome! =D The reviews have been positive so far, so I really think I'm going to like continuing this fic.

Edited on 05/16/2009 11:52am

Obiwan456

[9]May 16, 2009

Yeah, I know the conversation your talking about.

but hopefully this will be the start of many good iCarly fics without pairings

OverkiII

[10]May 16, 2009
    Obiwan456 wrote:

Haha yes, your post seemed to be just enough incentive to get me writing ( at 3 am in the morning even xP I was bored...) Thank you for the kind review as well! Glad you liked it so far! =)

And I hope you're right! I hope people start posting some more iCarly fanfics without pairings. I like the fics that seem as if they could be an actual episode the best.

Obiwan456

[11]May 16, 2009
    OverkiII wrote:
    Obiwan456 wrote:

Haha yes, your post seemed to be just enough incentive to get me writing ( at 3 am in the morning even xP I was bored...) Thank you for the kind review as well! Glad you liked it so far! =)

And I hope you're right! I hope people start posting some more iCarly fanfics without pairings. I like the fics that seem as if they could be an actual episode the best.

yeah those are great

though even some dramatic fics would be good, if there are no pairings.

iCarly317

[12]May 16, 2009
    At least in my opinion, most drama fics are pretty good. Its what I like to read the most.

Obiwan456

[13]May 17, 2009

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am moving the coalition to get better fanfics to here and possibly a forum on fanfic.net

if i do make the forum i will be sure to let everyone know

shybaby13

[14]May 17, 2009
    • level: 15

I like books with a combination of drama, comedy and romance if possible. I think the best moments of some shows are when the charcters have to deal with something they've never had to before, like when something dramatic happens. But if it's all drama, and now comedy, it just becomes sappy and not good. Romance addas an extra spark in my opinion.

I agree that a LOT of stories have their stories out of character. To me, I don't even see the point of writing a story where they are out of character, because then it isn't really based of the show. In my fic, (Just to get it Over With) I try to stay in character and even take scenes from the show to make it realistic. Another thing that bothers me is how short the chapters are! Spelling errors are everywhere and it's just one big mess.

Obiwan456

[15]May 17, 2009
    Exactly, good Seddie is okay, but the bad stuff is everywhere.

AndreaMSkate

[16]May 18, 2009
    • level: 49
    We already have iSpin. In the past, fanfiction has been a problem on this forum, so I'm only allowing one thread for it.