We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Icarly a bad show?

CatherineArev

[1]Jan 20, 2011
    • level: 1

I don't know if you guys have seen the reviews given to this show, but they are pretty bad. I recently reviewed it myself, and I think it's pretty awesome. I mean, who doesn't like pointless comedy? It's a little break from everyday life.

Now people say how it doesn't compare to all the shows Dan has done for previous generations. Well I say this is a new generation, and they should let it have their own kind of fun.

Agree? Disagree?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vanillacupcakes

[2]Jan 20, 2011
    • level: 16
    AGREE. My thoughts are kind of scattered, so just bare with me. Now I'm not going to rant about how Nickelodeon and Dan's shows were so much better in the past, I've already done that. Sure it may not be "Kenan and Kel" level, blah blah blah. Television in general has been better in the past. However, in no way is iCarly abmyssal. Maybe people get too annoyed by it being overexposed but I think it's ridiculous. It's okay to not like it but I think a lot of people are overexaggerating. In many people's defense, they simply don't like the pointless comedy or exaggerated acting/storylines. I know people who haven't liked any of Dan's shows. Still, I think it would at least deserve a 3. It doesn't help a lot people have only seen the Fred episode. Like, really?? That's the worst one!

What also annoys me is that they rate episodes a 1 before they even air. I have to rate all of these episodes 10s even though I think they are more like 8s, just to boost up the average ratings. Another thing is that people are not really picking up on references, innuendos, the depth of the characters, etc. "Spencer's stupid, Sam's mean, being addicted to pranking is dumb, blahblahblah". At least my parents do that. They take everything as it is. Dan actually puts a lot of effort into his shows and many people don't notice at all.

Last thing, is that there are a lot of people used to Disney shows. They are expecting a moral at the end of the episode with the cheesy music, the heart-to-heart conversation preaching to the audience. There are a lot of people who want everything to be told to you that needs to be told and a closed ending at the end of the episode. People think everything should be wrapped up neatly and tied with a bow in order for the episode to "have a point". A lot of Dan's shows just end abruptly, f.e. iSD, iTTK, iGP, iCook, etc. People are always like "That's stupid, they didn't say what happened to the prisoners" or "But Ricky Flame didn't learn his lesson of winning not being everything". People like Miley Stewart and Alex Russo learn a lesson at the end of the episode. People like Sam don't. That makes people think Sam is a bad role model to kids, thus making iCarly an inappropriate children's show. In Wizards of Waverly Place, they often directly say why people act they way they do. They literally say "Oh, I see why you're meddling. You're trying to live your past relationships through Zeke and Harper". People who think Spencer is a horrible guardian obviously have not seen iWanna Stay With Spencer. -_- No, iCarly isn't the best show in the world. I'm not going to put it up on a pedestal and praise it's brilliance. But..the way people judge the show do bug me.

Fireofnature

[3]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 13
    I agree with cupcake *raise hand* Though I don't think we see much of Sam pranking anymore, I think her character's kind of growing out of that, sort of.

teenj12

[4]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 26
    People think iCarly is a bad show because of the "inappropriateness", but kids watch a lot worse, so that excuse doesn't cut it for me. iCarly is a good show and diserves more posityive reviews from people!

jegolas1973

[5]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 22

ICarly is a very good live-action Nickelodeon show.

LampEC

[6]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 5
    Yeah but it's not a very accurate portrayal of the public opinion. Some people never go online, don't own a computer, or are too young. So while I agree that its stupid that people are giving it a bad review on this website in actuality the people I've talked to in real life like or love iCarly. Sometimes I wonder though if people just enjoy giving bad reviews for shops just to be trolls. Which is kind of what Vanilla said. "Giving reviews before they've even seen it."

@VC In fact I love how Dan's shows don't end like one of Aesop's fables. It leaves the viewer to their own imagination AND I subscribe to the belief that if you make something you love and make it good, it doesn't matter if you put in a "message" or not, a truth will come out. Somebody will get a profound message somewhere. Even if that profound message be "Laugh. Life is too short."

vanillacupcakes

[7]Jan 21, 2011

Fireofnature wrote:
    Though I don't think we see much of Sam pranking anymore, I think her character's kind of growing out of that, sort of.

I was talking about Spencer in iGet Pranky. Sorry, I wasn't clear. People took it literally and don't catch the innuendos.

@lampy: Exactly. I don't want to be preached at the end about "being true to yourself" or some other cliche lesson. I always felt the "lessons" made you feel like a little kid. That might have been why I didn't like speech at the end of iSAFW, I think they could have done that in a different way. iCarly does teach you lessons, just indirectly. Some people just don't think about it. I also agree that it isn't everybody. I guess because iCarly is so popular, has so much merchandise, and on tv 24/7 it gets more haters. The same goes for Hannah Montana, Justin Bieber, etc. The more popular it gets the more trolls/haters it will get.

@teenj: I saw a youtube video hating against iDate a Bad Boy and how it was sooo inappropriate when Carly was making out with Griffin. He talks about how his 2 year old cousin watches iCarly. Then he asks "What happened to the good shows?? *insert rant about how old Nickelodeon is the best*. Ummm..

1. That special was rated TV-PG instead of the typical TV-Y7, meaning that your 2 year old cousin shouldn't be watching it in the first place. Even the regular episodes are Y7...meaning 7 years old. Is she 7?? No. Maybe you should have changed the channel. iCarly is meant for tweenies, not toddlers.

2. The old Nickelodeon shows had the most innuendos and were WAY more inappropriate. Rocko's Modern Life gets away with a lot more chiz. So does Clarissa Explains it All. iCarly was not the first show to have innuendos, in fact their innuendos are tame compared to a lot of old Nickelodeon shows.

3. This guy is like my age so these "old" shows aren't all that old. They are late 90s-early 2000s generation. People born in the 80s are going to say that their tv shows/movies are better than "ours". Like how people say that the first 5 seasons of All That are better than the newer All That seasons in 2000-2005. People are always going to brag about how their generation was the greatest. Give it a rest please. I'm guilty of doing this though...but I realize why people don't like when you say stuff like "I grew up with the good stuff, I'm glad I'm not born when you guys were." It's kind of offensive to the people born in the 2000s.

Zwingli4

[8]Jan 22, 2011

I think there will always be room for farcical and screwball comedies. It is a matter of taste, of course. Sam and Carly certainly go no farther than kissing! So I don't think it's too racy for its demographic. But you know what this show reminds me of? "Fawlty Towers." Even though FT is aimed for a more mature audience, it's still a farcical screwball comedy. While Spencer is more of a juvenile goofball, weird, scatterbrained character, Mr. Fawlty (John Cleese) is a more mature, adult goofball, weird, scatterbrained character. I guess whether you like this show depends on whether you like juvenile goofball idiot comedy or more mature,adult, sophisticated goofball idiot comedy.

ffmotorsports51

[10]Feb 24, 2011
    • level: 17

iCarly was good during the 1st Season, but when Season 2 came, the show went downhill. iMeet Fred is when I quit being a fan of iCarly.

teenj12

[11]Feb 24, 2011
    • level: 26
    ^Then why are here?

vanillacupcakes

[12]Feb 25, 2011
    @ffmotosports: I'm actually the opposite. I really did not like season 1, I ranted about it in a thread focused on that subject. Why exactly did you like season 1 better?? Also didn't I just rant about people judging the show from iMeet Fred?? Ughhh....I wish that episode didn't exist. Seriously...that's the worst one.

@baskok: This is just me being a stan for all the characters. Spencer is a responsible guardian. Have you seen iWanna Stay With Spencer? I agree that he's very easy going and laid back, not like your typical parent. It just allows for better storylines and its what makes him a unique and comedic guardian. Sometimes Carly doesn't listen to him, but she does respect him. Dan already stated why there aren't many adults in iCarly. Sam?? She's a good person deep down. I'm sure little kids are already aware that isn't good to shove a hot dog down somebody's pants or to jump out of planes into Japan. Sam respects Freddie(don't get me started on that). Sometimes Carly acts like a brat, but what teenage girl doesn't once in awhile?? She's not perfect and I admire that. Overall, she's a good person. None of the characters are that "bad". Secondly, it's a pointless comedy. Everything is over-exaggerated. Sam beating up Freddie, Sam's mom giving her cheese or getting arrested, it's not supposed to be taken seriously because everything is fine and dandy a few seconds later. That's just Dan Schneider's style of the show. It's personal taste. If you don't like it, that's fine but other people do. We know not to do what they do in real life. None of them are supposed to be "role models" who teach lessons. They're supposed to goof around and have fun. iCarly being a "kid's fantasy world" is why little kids enjoy watching it. It takes away the drama in life watching 3 kids doing crazy chiz and having a lot of fun. You deal with responsibilities in real life. Television is an escape for that and makes you feel more carefree watching them.

I think Carly and Spencer get a lot of money from his father rather than Spencer's sculptures. Spencer sometimes makes a few bucks off of his stuff though.

I've definitely seen 8 year olds act like that occasionally. Heck, I've seen 18 year olds act like that occasionally. Like Lampy said, it teaches you to laugh, don't worry so much about life, don't be afraid to act free-spirited or silly at times, and it's okay to be young at heart. This is the same comedy that has been in his past shows. Corny jokes?? That's what the whole show is about! I understand if you don't like them, but Dan put those corny jokes in there on purpose.

iCarly is probably targeted towards young kids, but Dan does a great job at putting references in there for older people too. I like to think of it as more of a family show. That way parents aren't hitting themselves in the head when they are forced to watch it with their kids. It can easily appeal to everybody. A lot of older kids watch it, and there are a lot of people like it but don't want to openly admit it outside of the internet(hey, like me! lol). Yeah, the laugh track can be annoying. Reminds me of "The Big Bang Theory", regarding that it would be so much better if it was played less.

pscf3

[13]Feb 26, 2011
    Dang woman.

baskok wrote:

When i first saw icarly i was amazed that it got that popular. A story of two girls having a popular web show in no time! I think that this is a children's fantasy world. Carly's parents are absent for some reason. So Spencer looks after her but he's so irresponsible. How could he make a living with sculptures? also her friend Sam is so overly aggressive. And Freddie has a crush on Carly he gets treated terribly by Sam but he still does all the behind the scene work for the web show.And there are some innuendos about body parts.

I think the actors enjoy making this show because Miranda is always smiling a lot. But what bothers me is that they can get away with anything and there are no consequences for their actions. But it is still better then some of those incredibly corny tween shows where someone does something wrong and at the end the parents or friends tell them what they did wrong and forgive them so easily. The web show itself is very crazy just two girls acting like Dumbo's. Even 8 year olds wouldn't act like that. What i think appeals to children these days is the web show story line. it is definitely original and makes you believe that you can be famous by acting stupid on camera. I think that Carly has a lot of things going for her. But still when things go wrong she acts like a little brat and not her age. Sam is a bad role model she does so many illegal things. And is so aggressive at times especially to Freddie. She can do what ever she want's. I think there's a scene when she talking to Carly in school and she only has a can of cheese with her for lunch.Carly asks her why her mother didn't prepare her lunch. Sam says i'm just glad she got out of bed this morning. I was shocked by that line. Or the episode where icarly becomes a TV show the producer wanted a guy in a dinosaur costume and Sam got annoyed and was beating him up for 30 seconds! What the .... was that? And then that laughing band every line. even when there's nothing going on. There are so many corny jokes. Carly and her friends have an easy life with absolutely no responsibilities at all.

I still don't exactly know what the target audience is. There are so many conflicting things that happen on icarly they don't act their age but make very wrong comments and actions.