We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Freddie's Behavior

Fireofnature

[1]Aug 4, 2011
    • level: 13

I posted this on a creddie forum:

Anyway, I just wanted to bring up a topic that I was talking with my friend, Multi-shipper girl from fanfiction. about (she's the one who told me to join this forum). See, we were having a small discussion on the aggressive nature of Sam, but then we realized hey, Freddie's got some issues too...

Now I, myself, have always been a believer that Freddie has some creepy undertones to himself. Let's not forget the stalkerish/obsessive tendencies he had in season one. See, this is what I do: I don't just watch iCarly for the entertainment, but fulfillment of the characters. It's good as an author to get to know what makes a character's personality.

The things he's said or done, has revealed that while yes Sam has done some pretty bad things, it might actually be Freddie that hates her. If you all remember the one time he held that knife and had that desire to kill, or the times he's actually referenced the fact that he "hated" Sam...I'm thinking he may be growing into a bit more of an aggressive person.

He's also shown a dominating side multiple times, towards both Sam and Carly, actually, if I can say that without getting in trouble...He seems to be a bit hotheaded and tempermental too. I mean I've actually gotten the idea to write a story where Carly and Sam's sister actually try to keep Sam away from him because he snaps or something....(I'm actually more into friendships than I am into pairings nowadays).

Another aspect is, Freddie's a player, it seems like. I'd say with the recent development, if he were to just flip flop over to Carly right after dating Sam, it could cause some HUGE problems. But look at this. Dude's kissed Sam, kissed Carly, dated Melanie (Though he didn't know he was Sam's sister at the time, or believed it), dated some other girls, then apparently he's going to date Sam. So, in the sense of best friendship, and siblings as well (Now I grew up with friends telling me, you don't date the best friend of someone you already dated, and you most certainly don't shack up with the sister...) I'm pretty sure Freddie's got a notorious rap sheet there.

In a sense, I honestly do worry just a tad for the person he seems to be growing into. Not only that, he seems to not have had a father figure growing up, which could really place some issues mentally. He also continually treats his mother like dirt and talks about her behind her back. Yes Sam does the same, but I'm not trying to compare the two right now, this is all about Freddie.

Now before you tell me that this is a "nickelodeon show" and they wouldn't have such dark stuff on it, I'm already aware of it. I'm talking psychologically here. Let's have an actual discussion, some actual thoughts on Freddie's behavior. Do you think he might be getting a tad aggressive? There are some points I may have left out...Let's leave out the pairings too, I don't want this to be about pairings. Again, just Freddie.

I think Freddie really gets less focus than Sam and Carly do, nobody really talks much about him. So, again, let's discuss!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vanillacupcakes

[2]Aug 4, 2011
    • level: 16

1. I don't really think he HATES Sam literally. He never means to hurt Sam or Carly. I think giving up the cruise to get rid of Missy and putting Carly's feelings before his own in iSYL is more generous than any of the other guys they have dated. You can tell he cares about others. There's a lot of "dark" stuff in iCarly, and if that one knife joke makes Freddie a "horrible person", then Carly and Sam would be even worse. Actually all the characters would be pretty horrid people.

2. I think Freddie has become more aggressive, but in a better way where he is able to stand up for himself.

He doesn't let Carly or Sam push them around as much as they used to. His life was suffocated by his mother, yet he was able to stand up to her and move away on his own, then come to agreements with her in the end. He would have never done that in season 1. He even had the courage to give Carly and Sam a taste of their own medicine with Ashley. Imo Carly and Sam are even impressed by the way he does this. I think being with Carly and Sam and just his personal development has done that. I have never seen a time where Freddie was over domineering in any way. Can you give me an example of it?

3. Nobody really gets in trouble. It's just a part of the miraculous iCarly world. It's humorous.

4. Freddie isn't really a player. He's been chasing after Carly for all these years. He never was the one to kiss these girls, they always kissed him(Carly and Melanie). He didn't know Sam liked him when he was dating Carly, it was "just to get it over with". Like right now, he knows Sam likes him. So he's not going to date Carly until we know for sure Sam doesn't love him anymore. If Creddie is to happen, Sam will not have feelings for Freddie anymore. He's not the type of guy who flips back and forth with girls. Like you said, he thinks Melanie was Sam, and all he wanted to do was prove a point(that Melanie didnt exist). He hasn't dated that many girls. Like any webstar "celebrity" he has fangirls who like him. Some of them were just fangirls of Fredward the vampire anyways, and not even him. He is the type who will commit to serious relationships and is probably a hopeless romantic(or maybe that is just my personal fanon, idk). Judging by the way he has acted towards Carly for 3 seasons, it seems that way though.

5. He seems to be growing up just fine. To me, it seems like he looks up to Spencer as a father figure. In a way, Carly and Sam have helped him grow up alright. I rant about my parents sometimes when they aren't around and so do a few people. If anything, it's Mrs. Benson who is too overprotective. I think it's good that he tells her when it's too much. As much as I love her, she needs to develop as a character too and give him more freedom. He seems to still respect his mom, and he "doesn't 'hate' her".

Edited on 08/04/2011 1:19pm

RiciSmokes2

[3]Aug 4, 2011
    • level: 7
    I love the Spencer-Freddie relationship, I think it is just what both of them needs ( I couldn't believe when Carly told Mrs. Benson they were fencing). Spencer needs the responsibilty, and Freddie needs the fun parental figure to balance Mrs. Benson's foolishness. I don't think you can use certain actions of the people on iCarly to judge their character, bc everyone's actions are exaggerated. You can get away with sending rabid fans to someone's hotel, pretend to be dead to extort money from people, electrocute people (both Carly and Sam), or even break a friends hand(arm?/fingers?). Dan has a bit of a violent sense of humor so his characters are more violent than what works in reality (the magic of tv). I think Freddie is as healthy as any kid raised by Mrs. B's aggressive parenting techniques can be expected to be. I like when he stands up to Carly and Sam. I see it as him being assertive moreso than aggressive.

Shadowswhisper

[4]Aug 4, 2011
    • level: 2

Interesting topic. Thanks for bringing it up.

I can see the point that Freddie is developing a more aggressive attitude. But I would think that's because he's had too, with Sam, Carly and his mom. "Remember clown day?"

Actually, my opinion, is that Freddie is standing up for himself more in the sense of being ambivalent to Sam. It just seemed in IOMG that he couldn't have cared less about whether Sam was in love with Brad or not, or whether those two hooked up or not. It was Carly, once again, bringing him into the situation of helping Carly get Sam together with Brad. And I still think, when Freddie gave his 6 month cruise to Missy, it was not necessarily for Sam, but what Carly would think of him. As far as we know, Sam doesn't know Freddie got rid of Missy.

teenj12

[5]Aug 4, 2011
    • level: 26
    He is getting aggressive, but whoever posted that is making him sound bipolar.

Fireofnature

[6]Aug 4, 2011
    • level: 13
    Meh, most people make Sam sound bipolar or with borderline personality disorder XD

vanillacupcakes

[7]Aug 5, 2011

Shadowswhisper wrote:

Actually, my opinion, is that Freddie is standing up for himself more in the sense of being ambivalent to Sam. It just seemed in IOMG that he couldn't have cared less about whether Sam was in love with Brad or not, or whether those two hooked up or not. It was Carly, once again, bringing him into the situation of helping Carly get Sam together with Brad. And I still think, when Freddie gave his 6 month cruise to Missy, it was not necessarily for Sam, but what Carly would think of him. As far as we know, Sam doesn't know Freddie got rid of Missy.

He didn't really do it for "Carly's thoughts of him" either, because he didn't tell Carly(or mean to). She figured it out from Wendy, and he didn't even want her telling Carly he did that. He didn't tell Sam to get some sort of payback out of it. He did that out of the kindness of his heart and if Wendy wasn't such a ninja, Freddie wouldn't have told anybody.

"Carly send you to find me?"

"Nope".

He didn't have to tell Sam everything he told her in the breezeway, or even bother to look for her. He just did that on his own. Give him some credit, not all the nice things he does is by force of Carly. I think Freddie still cares for Carly and Sam a lot, and is a pretty good friend to both. Even in iPWV he was willing to try and beat up Stephen for breaking Carly's heart.

RiciSmokes2

[8]Aug 5, 2011
    I really like assertive Freddie. He was borderline wimpy before, and that was just sad to watch. I don't think he had any other choice but to boy up, with friends like Sam (to a lesser extent Carly) and Mrs. Benson for a mom (he was never going to see any (special lady parts) if he didn't cut that cord from his mom and cut it immediately). I still think aggressive is too strong a word for Freddie it has too many negative connotations to it. An aggressive person is borderline violent, and Freddie is pretty tame.

CaptainKrueger

[9]Aug 5, 2011
    • level: 5

No, Freddie's not getting too aggressive. The knife joke is just that - a joke, played for laughs, just like whenever Freddie gets hurt (aside from iSYL). Freddie, imo, has had the most development in this show and has grown a lot as a character. I, as a writer, have wondered what it would be like if he snapped. Not in a crazy rampage, but just yelling at Sam and calling her out on some of her crap (of course, with this show, Sam would just beat him up, wouldn't she?). I like this more assertive Freddie, and I don't think he's too aggressive. I can be a rather aggressive person and so I don't consider Freddie to be that way. Yes, he gets frustrated, but who doesn't? As for his mother, he's just a teenage boy and doesn't like the way she treats him. Wouldn't you be irritated if your mother treated you the way she treats Freddie? When I think of Freddie Benson, "aggresive" and especially "player" don't come to mind.

However, you do bring up an interesting discussion.

nicknameless101

[10]Aug 6, 2011
    • level: 25

Yeah, I like how Freddie's becoming more assertive. Carly and Sam have always seen him as the wimpy "techno geek", but I see he's changing that. I think this is why he's my favorite character, along with Spencer, instead of Carly or Sam.

Edited on 08/09/2011 9:18am

schillingklaus

[11]Aug 9, 2011
    • level: 12

Fredward Benson has always been, and will always be, a horny creep.

vanillacupcakes

[12]Aug 9, 2011
    I'd say he's less horny than the guys I know....

JonathonWolf

[13]Aug 13, 2011
    • level: 10

First, I'd like to point out that assertiveness is neither a positive nor a negative trait. It is how that assertiveness is used that creates the value. Freddie has been channeling his assertiveness by standing up for himself and gaining the confidence to take the actions he believes are right. This is good.

The knife thing seems more like a moment of anger than anything else. We've all had that time when we were really angry at a friend, but it is usually temporary. Freddie has been growing as a person and as a man. Some of that can be attributed to Spencer when seeing his more mature moments like not letting Carly go to the MMA event or letting Carly leave with their grandfather. Even his more crazy moments shows Freddie that you can be true to yourself and be accepted.

If anything, I want to see an episode where Freddie has to fight someone. It would probably be in defense of Carly or Sam, but I think something showing his resolve in entering an unfair fight would go a long way in showing the strength of his character. Maybe even having Freddie get mad at Sam for jumping in to save him. I'm just a bit tired of the cracks on Freddie being weak. Getting beat by Sam at armwrestling is fine due to her reputation, but Nathan has gotten pretty buff over the years. It wouldn't surprise me much to have a scene with his shirt off for fanservice.

hurr05

[14]Aug 13, 2011

Freddie's voice is hot. End of story.

Uranium_OJ

[15]Aug 13, 2011
    • level: 6

Well, since it's a (kid's) sitcom, character development is NOT a big part of the show, unfortunately. (As much as I'd love it to be *sigh*)

Sam is an exaggeration. There's no point in analyzing her like a real, tangible person, cuz I'm almost positive there isn't a real person like her out there (who's sane and has friends like the ones she has). Her habits and personality are meant for comedy. If she was like a normal person or if Spencer was for that matter, the show wouldn't be nearly as funny.

Granted, Freddie's character is much more realistic, but I still don't think what most of you see in him as "changes" or "growth" are actually that intentional. Maybe they just accompanied how the writer's saw him changing physically and mentally and wanting to capture some of that in the show.

JonathonWolf

[16]Aug 14, 2011
    Uranium_OJ wrote:

Sam is an exaggeration. There's no point in analyzing her like a real, tangible person, cuz I'm almost positive there isn't a real person like her out there (who's sane and has friends like the ones she has). Her habits and personality are meant for comedy. If she was like a normal person or if Spencer was for that matter, the show wouldn't be nearly as funny.

You would be surprised. I have a friend that is a jerk a lot of the time, but I'm still friends with him. Another friend of mine is friends with a guy that played a very disgusting prank on another friend, and they are still buddies. It can be kind of weird when you realize you're friends with someone you swear you would never talk to if you saw them as a character.

vanillacupcakes

[17]Aug 14, 2011

Does he eat a whole ham in less than 20 minutes without getting fat?? Is he able to pick up people over twice his seize and beat them up?? It's silly and exaggerated things like those that make it hard to judge people by singular actions like Uranium and Rici have said. IRL "Sam" would probably be a lot nicer than that guy you're describing. Otherwise....there probably aren't too many people like her.

Yes, his aggressive nature has only been used for good things. I didn't like how they show his muscles with these short sleeved shirts, the first scene of iOMG, and have Carly say he would lose a fight with Stephen. I just can't buy the "weak" thing the writers' are trying to portray anymore. I guess they can have Freddie be weaker as they look, but still. They have shown he has gotten stronger since iTTK when he was able to pin down Carly. Physically, they could do a little more than the arm wrestling thing(it was still funny though, because Sam's arm was so tiny and Freddie's was so huge in normal circumstances you'd never expect that).

@Jonathon: They already had this video(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH8jzOOI4o4) for fan service, and the beginning of iOMG. Then Nathan tweeted in a Q&A that they have actually discussed with Dan having him with shirtless scenes. So I wouldn't be surprised if they had more Nathan fan service. The last time I've heard this discussion people were talking about how he might not have abs, because it's a lot harder to get than biceps, so I'll just shut off so this doesn't turn into a post about that.

Edited on 08/14/2011 11:19am

RiciSmokes2

[18]Aug 14, 2011
    ^ When Carly was so quick to dismiss Freddie's ability to beat up Stephen, I was like, have you seen Freddie lately? Fredward probably could have given Stephen a run for his money.

Uranium_OJ

[19]Aug 14, 2011
    • level: 6

You're right vanillacupcakes, i can't say I'm buying the whole Freddie being weak thing anymore. But I do get that it's supposed to be funny that Sam, a girl, can practically beat up anyone twice her size. However, this plot point DOES get annoying sometimes. I've NEVER met a girl like her who's that tiny yet so ridiculously aggressive and strong at the same time.

I also hate that Carly said he couldn't beat stephen up cuz he was a "nerd." I don't think the iCarly people KNOW what a nerd is. A nerd, for example, is someone who goes on Harry Potter forums and posts threads about how the sorting hat distinguishes among those in Ravenclaw vs. those in Hufflepuff, or someone who's always studying due to a heavy courseload. AND Freddie could definitely have taken that guy down (if he had the right skill, too).

Edited on 08/14/2011 12:52pm

hurr05

[20]Aug 14, 2011

LMAO Freddie's smexy biceps could've beaten up that Stephen kid easy.

And I like Freddie's new attitude. He IS a BOY after all, AND he hangs out with 2 girls half the time.