We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

breaking the 4th wall?

saylavee

[1]Jan 6, 2010
    • level: 18

Hey I've been wondering this, has iCarly ever broken the 4th wall?

Well i know in this one Baby Spencer video they did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cQRqIUOm8

THEY TORE DOWN THE WALL IN THAT VIDEO!!!

But what i'm wondering is if during the episodes themselves, have they ever broken the 4th wall?

Do the webshows themselves count as breaking it?

And incase some of you guys dont know what the 4th wall is, well, its hard to explain over typing, ummmm its the "invisible wall" that seperates the stage/set from the audience/veiwers, like in a play, someone who breaks the fourth wall talks directly to the audience. In a tv show its when the character talks directly to the veiwers like Zack's "time outs" in Saved by the Bell. Also, it can be when they ackowledge that they are in a tv show/play/video. It can also be when they use references to real life.

here's another example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGlFPIg0H6U&feature=related

So yeah, anyone ever seen an instance when iCarly breaks the fourth wall? Do you think that the webshows themselves are breaking the fourth wall?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

C4DM4R

[2]Jan 6, 2010
    • level: 2

well, im not sure. it depends really, because onthe show icarly, the one we watch, they shouldent think its a show, they act like its their reality. but they do talk to the audience in their webcast, but it is a humour webcast, and they acknowledge that, so, they arent pretending its real.

like, malcolm in malcolm in the middle broke it a lot.

god, now im all confused with myself. i dotn think theyve actually broken it in the show, like, they changed things like youtube to splashface, and other stuff like that. man, this is like learning physics and quantom physics all over again.

what im trying to say, is the the 4th wall represents he boundries of the particular shows/films reality, and breaching it means that they know, on some level that their "reality" isnt real, or there is someone watching.

so, i have to say no, they havent. but if they did, it might be nice, im not sure. depends how they go about it. i wonder what it would be like, mabye in ISYL, when carly kisses freddie, and sam walks in, if she does anyway, she probably have a negative reaction, and as shes walkign away (just speculating, no evidence) she says out loud, that hurts a lot more then ill ever tell them, to the camera.would be strange.

Freddimamay

[3]Jan 7, 2010
    • level: 4
    I'm not sure if the Webisodes count. iCarly is a show WE watch but it is also a fictional show viewers in the show watch. So they can play off talking to the virtual audience of iCarly (webshow) veiwers while they are actually talking to us. Make sense? Cause I know it sounds confusing but I hope you guys get what I'm saying. Because iCarly is also a show within the show they can pretend they're talking to 'those' iCArly veiwers.

saylavee

[4]Jan 7, 2010
    well they did make life references, the plain white Ts on their show for ex, but they do that in alot of shows so that shouldnt count.

some may count people sending in theie own videos a 4th wall break when its shown on air, especialy on the credits when people say why they love the show. If thats true then half of the iCarly Awards episode is a 4th wall break...

angelrock4444

[5]Jan 10, 2010
    • level: 2
    Ahhhhh! my head hurts!

tweenboy

[6]Jan 14, 2010
    • level: 9
    saylavee wrote:

Hey I've been wondering this, has iCarly ever broken the 4th wall?

Well i know in this one Baby Spencer video they did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cQRqIUOm8

THEY TORE DOWN THE WALL IN THAT VIDEO!!!

But what i'm wondering is if during the episodes themselves, have they ever broken the 4th wall?

Do the webshows themselves count as breaking it?

And incase some of you guys dont know what the 4th wall is, well, its hard to explain over typing, ummmm its the "invisible wall" that seperates the stage/set from the audience/veiwers, like in a play, someone who breaks the fourth wall talks directly to the audience. In a tv show its when the character talks directly to the veiwers like Zack's "time outs" in Saved by the Bell. Also, it can be when they ackowledge that they are in a tv show/play/video. It can also be when they use references to real life.

here's another example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGlFPIg0H6U&feature=related

So yeah, anyone ever seen an instance when iCarly breaks the fourth wall? Do you think that the webshows themselves are breaking the fourth wall?

Guys,this is the easiest thing to understand.In their web show,they are talking to their "fake" audience,not us even though they dont know they kinda are!lol.

It could be determined weather or not the show breaks the 5th wall.Breaking the 5th wall means a charecter or person from another reality/show appears on the show.

fryman1701

[7]Jan 15, 2010
    • level: 7
    tweenboy wrote:
    It could be determined weather or not the show breaks the 5th wall.Breaking the 5th wall means a charecter or person from another reality/show appears on the show.
    So the Plain White Tee's appearance would be an example of this?

marcdragicevic

[8]Mar 4, 2010
    • level: 21
    Did anyone see that post on Dan Schneider's blog about breaking the 4th wall? It made his head explode.

Risette-chan

[9]Mar 4, 2010
    • level: 5
    During iEnrage Gibby, Carly's playing the ukulele and Freddie walks in ans says, "You play the ukulele?" and she says she plays a little, then he says, "Well that's never been established." I don't think is really breaking the fourth wall though. :/

marcdragicevic

[10]Mar 4, 2010
    Risette-chan wrote:
    During iEnrage Gibby, Carly's playing the ukulele and Freddie walks in ans says, "You play the ukulele?" and she says she plays a little, then he says, "Well that's never been established." I don't think is really breaking the fourth wall though. :/

Yeah, I remember that line and that was mentioned in, "Fun Facts". But that wasn't the post, I was referring to.

Risette-chan

[11]Mar 4, 2010
    marcdragicevic wrote:
    Risette-chan wrote:

Yeah, I remember that line and that was mentioned in, "Fun Facts". But that wasn't the post, I was referring to.

I know, I was just trying to throw out an example. Although now that I think about it, Victoria Justice being on the latest iCarly.com vid might be breaking the fourth wall since her new show is brought up... Well, it's something to think about.

I love when shows and such break the fourth wall. Don't ask me why because I have no idea. xD

marcdragicevic

[12]Mar 4, 2010
    Risette-chan wrote:
    marcdragicevic wrote:
    Risette-chan wrote:

I know, I was just trying to throw out an example. Although now that I think about it, Victoria Justice being on the latest iCarly.com vid might be breaking the fourth wall since her new show is brought up... Well, it's something to think about.

I love when shows and such break the fourth wall. Don't ask me why because I have no idea. xD

Oh opps. Yeah, I think it is, breaking the 4th wall actually. They might have mentioned that. Yeah, except cartoons. It's kind of heartbreaking to young children and you want to kind of pretend, their real. Know what I mean?

Risette-chan

[13]Mar 8, 2010
    Yeah, I know what you mean. But there's a chance that they might not even pick up on it... It's small, but it's still there.

Apparently, according to tvtropes.org, Freddie and Spencer broke the fourth wall in a video promoting the Teen Choice Awards. I haven't seen the video, but here's the dialouge that was said:

Freddie: Does Baby Spencer love Jerry Trainor? Baby Spencer: (also played by Jerry Trainor) What?! Freddie: Do you love Jerry Trainor? Baby Spencer: Don't say that! You're breaking the fourth wall! Nooooo! Freddie: Aw, sometimes it's OK to break the fourth wall. Baby Spencer: No! It violates everything I believe in! Freddie: Did you know Jerry Trainor is up in the Teen Choice Awards? Baby Spencer: Hush! Don't talk about it! Freddie: Don't you want everyone to go online and vote for Jerry Trainor? Baby Spencer: Baby don't like shameless self-promotion! Freddie: Don't you know iCarly is up for lots of Teen Choice Awards? Baby Spencer: SHUT UP! I'm so uncomfortable with this in so many levels!

saylavee

[15]Mar 9, 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cQRqIUOm8

heres that baby Spencer vid if you wana watch it.