We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Be ok with Sarly?

Be ok with Sarly?

abz08

[81]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 15
    ycc1988 wrote:
    Well, it wasn't like Moze got off him right away...

Zis is true. ---

Really though - pinning someone down the way Carly did is more dominatrix - like and more easily read into and more couply. But the Ned/Moze was cute too.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

iskabibble07

[82]May 5, 2008
    • level: 13

abz08 wrote:
    ycc1988 wrote:
    Well, it wasn't like Moze got off him right away...
    Zis is true. --- Really though - pinning someone down the way Carly did is more dominatrix - like and more easily read into and more couply. But the Ned/Moze was cute too.

Dominatrix is a bit strong. But pinning down for a moment can be a big part of being a tease. And sometimes when Freddie is doing his clumsy flirtations with Carly, she almost seems like a tease. She is not grossed out by him or shut him down. And she seems unhappy anytime Sam and Freddie spat in way that suggests she wishes they could all do a long group hug.

Pinning down might also be part of a wrestling, tickling, hugging sequence. If Carly pinned Freddie down and then Sam came over tickle him while he wiggled under Carly, that is a very flirty possibility.

Edited on 05/05/2008 10:50am

abz08

[83]May 5, 2008
    Well I agree she does seem like a big tease. But the domanatrix possibility is still there.

iskabibble07

[84]May 5, 2008

abz08 wrote:
    Well I agree she does seem like a big tease. But the domanatrix possibility is still there.
    Well I don't see Carly becoming our modern Nurse Deisela nd telling Freddie "Those who are tardy do not get fruit cup!"

To me a domanatrix is a sort of manish and mean person who really likes to hurt people just to be perverted. Carly is in every respect feminine and sweet and if anything she is too sweet to tell Freddie she doesnt like him like that (maybe its because of his back hair).

Ok ok, I used two references in that post.

abz08

[85]May 5, 2008
    Well we definitely see 'domanatrix' in a different way then. ---

She doesn't have to be mannish, unfeminine, or even stronger than the male. It's more about attitude - about taking control, keeping it, and WANTING that control. The ability to keep whomever she's with under her thumb and doing everything to her every whim. I think Carly - at least when she's older - could very well fit that bill.---

Anywho - we're getting off topic. As far as the Sam/Carly relationship goes... it would be interesting to see the dominance fight. XD Kind of like watching Casey and Derek (LWD) fight. XD Very nice.

Camy99

[86]May 5, 2008
    • level: 7

Good gracious, as you put up that poll you KNEW that people would think that's gross. Don't even ask why okay. Slah is somethign that's against some people's BELIEFS! It has nothing to do with "It's a kids show", it's that Nick tries to be as respectful as possible to not cause a sudden decrease in viewers. The PRESIDENTS are fighting over this issue, it's staright out dumb to say that if straight is allowed than so should slash. You very well know that straight is what's "morally accepted" in the US and slash has ALWAYS been looked down upoon or with a bad attitude, it's not Nick that's going to resolve this feud.

So, asking "Be ok with Sarly?" is just restating questions like Should gay marriages be legalized and whatnot. Of course there are people out there imagining Sarly, so just make a thread about it like there are Seddie and Creddie threads but don't make it an opinion thing as if you don't see the whole "Ew that's SO sick" comments coming. Goodness people, do we need to ALWAYS be looking for a fight?

♥Camy

PS. Sorry for being all "Saint-like" but this is all getting slightly irritating.
    PPS. I DO NOT support Sarly AT ALL, just in case you were wondering. So I voted Ew.....but that's not how I would state my opinion.

Edited on 05/05/2008 9:10pm

NecroCharm

[87]May 6, 2008
    • level: 7
    Camy99 wrote:

Good gracious, as you put up that poll you KNEW that people would think that's gross. Don't even ask why okay. Slah is somethign that's against some people's BELIEFS! It has nothing to do with "It's a kids show", it's that Nick tries to be as respectful as possible to not cause a sudden decrease in viewers. The PRESIDENTS are fighting over this issue, it's staright out dumb to say that if straight is allowed than so should slash. You very well know that straight is what's "morally accepted" in the US and slash has ALWAYS been looked down upoon or with a bad attitude, it's not Nick that's going to resolve this feud.

So, asking "Be ok with Sarly?" is just restating questions like Should gay marriages be legalized and whatnot. Of course there are people out there imagining Sarly, so just make a thread about it like there are Seddie and Creddie threads but don't make it an opinion thing as if you don't see the whole "Ew that's SO sick" comments coming. Goodness people, do we need to ALWAYS be looking for a fight?

♥Camy

PS. Sorry for being all "Saint-like" but this is all getting slightly irritating.
    PPS. I DO NOT support Sarly AT ALL, just in case you were wondering. So I voted Ew.....but that's not how I would state my opinion.

The only people picking a fight are the people who are against it for no good reason, and no it's a kid show is NOT a valid reason. What is your problem?

It's dumb to support equality? Please, it's dumb to NOT support it! The only irritating thing is you people who have some silly hatred of gay people that act like this the end of the world and gay anything is somehow nasty and vile when it isn't! I asked a simple question and you people turned it into a HUGE anti-gay assault thread acting like even the idea is just wrong and sick when it's not! I am getting more than sick of you bigots launching attacks over this when there is no reason for it, do you understand how far behind we are in the world? My god, inter-racial dating was not "morally accepted" in this country at point, so should TV never portray it and encourage racism? I am getting annoyed by this whole thing, people like you starting fights over this and acting like it's some nasty thing that should be ignored, do you assume that only straight relationships should be allowed to even be talked about? Good god people! You need a shot of reality carny! Don't say it's wrong because the bible said so or because it's a kids show or be a populist and say just because the so called phantom "majority" doesn't like it, that is dumb and I hope you know it! The majority hated blacks so is that OK and only white people be allowed on TV? The majority supported Hitler he must be right! See that? Get over it!

missyera

[88]May 6, 2008
    • level: 8

Whoah...chill guys. No need to get so worked up over this. Each of you have your own opinions and beliefs, so, just because one disagrees, doesn't mean the rest of the world does too. So, no need to berate others for having their own perspective of things. Although Camy, you could be a bit more ..uh...nicer in your explanation.

Personally, for me, I'm kinda meh on Sarly. It could happen in fandom, since fem/slash couples are the rage these days and people are becoming more open-minded and creative in terms of pairings (even to a point where they're pairing up humans and inanimate objects, but I won't touch on that), but the reality is, kids tv shows are NOT that open yet. At least, not intentionally. Most of the time, "gays" in shows are used as a comic stick. To be made fun of just for the sake of humoring the audience. Well, at least it is that way on mainstream shows since not all viewers are that open-minded yet.

Most of the parents these days belong to the generation with the mindset that heterosexuality is the "normal" way in which the world works, and they've been brought up their whole lives thinking and believing that that's the only "right" way. "Abnormalities" are to be shunned upon, thus, naturally they'll teach their kids the same thing. So, don't be too quick to tear these people apart just because they feel disgusted when they come across people who've embraced homosezuality and are not afraid to hide it, cos' its the way they've been brought up. And they can't change their mindset and perspective of life in just a day. At least, give them time to adjust.

Its only recently that more and more people are beginning to be more open minded to the fact that there are such things happening in this world, and not everyone wants to conform to the hetero-ness of life. While most people might not embrace it, but at least, they're getting used to the idea of same gender relationships, and that its slowly becoming "normal" in this generation to come. Who knows, when this current generation of youngsters grow up, they'll teach their kids differently than their parent's did, and in the future, even KIDS shows would showcase same gender relationships and parent's won't cause an uproar because of it.

So Necro, just keep in mind that the people who roam these boards are supposed to be young kids and teenagers, and they might not have warmed up to the idea that such couples exist in this world since they're not accustomed to it yet. That's why their reactions are normally "Gross!" or "That's So wrong!". Its understandable, and you should to. Instead of lashing out at them, at least educate them or something.

Man, i just realized i wrote an essay. Sorry. But just to share, I'm one of those people who acknowledges and accepts the existence and increasing number of same gendered relationships, but its my choice not to embrace it. I don't mind that people like/support slash, but for myself, I prefer the traditional boy/girl couples. As they say, "opposites" attract.

Anyways, for the poll, i chose pancakes. With hot maple syrup over a buttery surface. Yum.

Edited on 05/06/2008 5:47am

iskabibble07

[89]May 6, 2008

I agree with settling down the level of anger. We are all here because we love ICarly and if we keep our focus on that, we dont have to make insulting remarks because one person like one ship over another.

For one thing ALL ships are imaginary. There is a good chance we will never see any of these characters actually get romantic with each other becuase it might jeopardize the chemistry of the show. And right now the show "works" which means the energy and fun of the show is perfect, the characters and performers clearly like each other and are having fun and we are having fun keeping up with the show week to week. Dan is not going to do anything to mess up a good thing.

Another thing to rememeber that there can be alot go on in a ship other than having two characters become full fledged bf/gf (of gfgf) even going as far as having them "go all the way" which is what creeps a lot of people out. You can have Carly flirt or tease freddie and the creddie fans are happy without them having to make out. You can mix flirting in with the teasing between Sam and Freddie, no making out but its just enough to throw the seddies bone. You can even see Sam make crush eyes at Spencer and there isnt any creepy about it but it keeps the electricity in the show strong without hurting the way the show works.

gryffinval7890

[90]May 6, 2008
    • level: 12
    NecroCharm wrote:
    Camy99 wrote:

¢¾Camy

The only people picking a fight are the people who are against it for no good reason, and no it's a kid show is NOT a valid reason. What is your problem?

It's dumb to support equality? Please, it's dumb to NOT support it! The only irritating thing is you people who have some silly hatred of gay people that act like this the end of the world and gay anything is somehow nasty and vile when it isn't! I asked a simple question and you people turned it into a HUGE anti-gay assault thread acting like even the idea is just wrong and sick when it's not! I am getting more than sick of you bigots launching attacks over this when there is no reason for it, do you understand how far behind we are in the world? My god, inter-racial dating was not "morally accepted" in this country at point, so should TV never portray it and encourage racism? I am getting annoyed by this whole thing, people like you starting fights over this and acting like it's some nasty thing that should be ignored, do you assume that only straight relationships should be allowed to even be talked about? Good god people! You need a shot of reality carny! Don't say it's wrong because the bible said so or because it's a kids show or be a populist and say just because the so called phantom "majority" doesn't like it, that is dumb and I hope you know it! The majority hated blacks so is that OK and only white people be allowed on TV? The majority supported Hitler he must be right! See that? Get over it!

totally Necro!

it just hurts to know that there are still hateful people in the world, and i do think its something worth getting riled over. especially for me,who one of my best friends is a lesbian. when she came out to her friends from her old school after that she got randomly beat up..

not only that but her mother calls her an embarrasment, and her own brother doesn't accept her either...

it just makes me feel sick to know that the next generation will still be going through what this generation is...

abz08

[91]May 6, 2008

I agree (mostly) with Era and iskabibble07. And in any case - there's no need for name calling. And since I'm uber busy - I'm just going to argue one little point.

Camy99 wrote:
    The PRESIDENTS are fighting over this issue, it's straight out dumb to say that if straight is allowed than so should slash.

No, not really. What government leaders (not just the one president) are debating is whether or not same-sex marriage should be legal, instead of just civil-unions or whereas some people have commitment ceremonies. THAT is what they're talking about. Not the relationships themselves... they are trying to compare it to marriage, and see how the rules would be the same, and how they differ. ---

What WE are talking about is whether or not these two characters might be interested in each other. And quite frankly - I don't think the idea of iCarly being a children's show has anything to do with it. But that's just me. I don't care if it could happen canonically - I think we all know it won't. But is this a legitimate ship or not - that's the question. I say it's entirely possible.

Edited on 05/06/2008 12:10pm

crzza

[92]May 6, 2008
    • level: 49
    abz08 wrote:

I agree (mostly) with Era and iskabibble07. And in any case - there's no need for name calling. And since I'm uber busy - I'm just going to argue one little point.

Camy99 wrote:
    The PRESIDENTS are fighting over this issue, it's straight out dumb to say that if straight is allowed than so should slash.

No, not really. What government leaders (not just the one president) are debating is whether or not same-sex marriage should be legal, instead of just civil-unions or whereas some people have commitment ceremonies. THAT is what they're talking about. Not the relationships themselves... they are trying to compare it to marriage, and see how the rules would be the same, and how they differ. ---

What WE are talking about is whether or not these two characters might be interested in each other. And quite frankly - I don't think the idea of iCarly being a children's show has anything to do with it. But that's just me. I don't care if it could happen canonically - I think we all know it won't. But is this a legitimate ship or not - that's the question. I say it's entirely possible.

If it's against the bible, it shouldn't be legal.

abz08

[93]May 6, 2008
    crzza wrote:
    abz08 wrote:

Camy99 wrote:

WHOA - WHOA - WHOA. WHAT?!?! ---

Since when? The USA was pretty much FOUNDED on freedom of religious persecution - the seperation of church and state. So while the bible and everyone's religious beliefs will always, and have always influenced our decisions, it will never be aligned with our laws, or even be completely the cause of such a law.

gryffinval7890

[94]May 6, 2008
    abz08 wrote:
    crzza wrote:
    abz08 wrote:

Camy99 wrote:

WHOA - WHOA - WHOA. WHAT?!?! ---

Since when? The USA was pretty much FOUNDED on freedom of religious persecution - the seperation of church and state. So while the bible and everyone's religious beliefs will always, and have always influenced our decisions, it will never be aligned with our laws, or even be completely the cause of such a law.

i totally agree with abz..

i mean, even though the bible states these things, i think its out of date..

in the same scripture it says that its perfectly fine to sell your children into slavery, and its a sin to cut your hair, and to mend clothing with cloth cut from another piece of fabric.

i think that these were written in the bible in accordance to what was considered acceptable in that point in time...

the bible is old...get with the times people...

abz08

[95]May 6, 2008
    *nods* ---

Yep. It's all there. You're also not supposed to shave or have shrimp. All kinds of stuff.

Gryffindorkish

[96]May 6, 2008
    • level: 4
    crzza wrote:
    abz08 wrote:

Camy99 wrote:

So then I guess my science class (and pretty much every other biology class out there) should be thrown in jail then for studying Evolution. Not everyone belives in the bible; many religions have belifes that specifically conradict the bible. Are you saying that their beliefs should be outlawed?

Of course not.

We all have the right to legally pracitce our own beliefs. And like others have mentioned so many modern things that are incorporated into our lives go against the literal meaning of the bible.

I know that this has nothing to do with Sarly (which by the way, I'd have no problem with other than the fact that I'm a die-hard Seddie shipper), but I just needed state my oppinion.

Edited on 05/06/2008 9:23pm

gryffinval7890

[97]May 6, 2008
    Gryffindorkish wrote:
    crzza wrote:
    abz08 wrote:

Camy99 wrote:

So then I guess my science class (and pretty much every other biology class out there) should be thrown in jail then for studying Evolution. Not everyone belives in the bible; many religions have belifes that specifically conradict the bible. Are you saying that their beliefs should be outlawed?

Of course not.

We all have the right to legally pracitce our own beliefs. And like others have mentioned so many modern things that are incorporated into our lives go against the literal meaning of the bible.

I know that this has nothing to do with Sarly (which by the way, I'd have no problem with other than the fact that I'm a die-hard Seddie shipper), but I just needed state my oppinion.

you said it all! i fully agree with everthing

even the seddie part(duh! hee hee hee!)
    have you noticed that sam and freddie are more in the same mind set than sam and carly are most of the time?

with C&S they usually have to explain things to each other...

matthewsgirl

[98]May 6, 2008
    • level: 5

First off, I just want to say how amazed I am at all the homophobia in this thread. It could at the very least be shown more maturely. As for Sarly, I think it'd be cool and different, although I myself am a Seddie shipper. I don't see anything romantic between Sam and Carly, and I'm curious as to if the OP saw any potential hints or if it's just a fun idea to ship them. I think a lesbian couple on a tween show could be a great thing though, because homosexuality does exist and children should not be shielded from it as if it were the worst thing that could happen.

iskabibble07

[99]May 7, 2008
    matthewsgirl wrote:

First off, I just want to say how amazed I am at all the homophobia in this thread. It could at the very least be shown more maturely. As for Sarly, I think it'd be cool and different, although I myself am a Seddie shipper. I don't see anything romantic between Sam and Carly, and I'm curious as to if the OP saw any potential hints or if it's just a fun idea to ship them. I think a lesbian couple on a tween show could be a great thing though, because homosexuality does exist and children should not be shielded from it as if it were the worst thing that could happen.

I am not sure discussing whether Sam and Carly falling in love is homophobia or not. Homophobia is fear of homosexuality. And while a romance between Carly and Sam is different, exotic, tabboo and exciting, those here that think it would not be a good thing on a children's program are not entirely homophobes. Now if you saw a lot of posts preaching about homosexuals being dirty, ugly, sinful people and filled with hate, yeah, that would qualify.

I think Sarly is a valid ship but lots of ship stay in the area of theory. Quite simply, ICarly enjoys high ratings because it is very funny, full of fun and talented performers, well written and it appeals to kids, moms and adults alike. The producers are not going to do anything to jeopardize that or to soil this show so it cannot continue to be an alternative to the failing Hannah Montana franchise. Sarly would create controversy and make the show less appealing to moms who want a show they can let their children watch without concern. You are seeing a mass exit from HM because Miley Cyrus has the image of having gone slutty. Dan Schneider is not going to let that happen to ICarly. He has too much to lose and frankly anything that messed up the terrific energy and chemistry of this show would hurt it and we all would lose.

matthewsgirl

[100]May 7, 2008
    • level: 5
    Those are good points. I guess I was just annoyed at the comments on Sarly being gross and weird when kids should not be taught that. I wonder when the right time will come for homosexuality to be shown on children's shows. If not now, then when...