We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Be ok with Sarly?

Be ok with Sarly?

iskabibble07

[121]May 8, 2008
    • level: 13

This is one of the most spirited discussions no these boards and I agree with a previous poster that its healthy because it shows the Admins want to encourage us to openly discuss things that are on our minds. I also agree that the topic took a bit of a turn from a ship discussion of possible affection between Sam and Carly to the general topic of gay rights. Again, its my opinion that these boards are all about free speech and that's ok too.

The level of harshness between posters is a concern. When we are harsh with one another, that just tends to drive people from the boards and imply that if one of us doesn't agree with the other, they should leave these boards. My view is that we all are here for two reasons. (1) because we love this show and (2) because we like these boards and want them to be a great social place for us. If we drive off anyone who states something we don't agree with, that hurts the boards. I too recently had my head bit off because I expressed an opinion someone disagreed with. I considered just quitting these boards and I make a lot of posts. So if that is how I react, I expect it will be how most people would.

If we did take the discussion just back to Sam and Carly, there seems to be a fundamental assumption that has made this such a serious discussion. That assumption is that Sarly would be expressed as a fully developed lesbian relationship that went all the way to full sexual involvement between the two girls. These kids are in their early teens and lots of ships happen that are simply flirtatious or affectionate without going "all the way". This is the same assumption that makes Spam posters get all steamed up about flirting between Spencer and Sam. But there are dozens of ways a Sarly or Spam relationship could create energy and chemistry between the characters and not reach that level of "adult" behavior.

I also agree that realistically Dan Schneider is not going to let this show drift into controversy. It is my opinion (for which I will be supergluing my head back on later today) that many people are coming to ICarly from that "other" show that will remain nameless in this post because moms like the show because its entertaining and wholesome mostly. When a teen show gets a lot of controversy for behavior that is going to upset the mom of a preteen child, that is going to drive them to another show. That isn't homophobia, that is just how parents are. So Dan is not going to risk that. I am willing to guess that to Dan and to the network, the success of the show is more important than making a statement about gay rights. Ok, bite my head off now.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

abz08

[122]May 8, 2008
    • level: 15
    *bites* That is under the assumption that one cannot watch both. With the weirdo time schedules for new episodes - it's not going to be like choosing between Grey's Anatomy and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. This is obvious - as I LOVE both shows, and haven't missed a new one since I became interested. ---

I do like your idea though. Some flirting, etc is perfectly fine. And it doesn't even have to be obvious, it could be kind of like under the table kind of comments or actions that really only the older audience would get. Nick isn't as good as Disney with this - but I know it's possible. I mean - what would Drake/Josh be without them? XD ---

One last thing... OH MY GAWD. This is freaking ridiculous. I'm sorry that I pointed out how SOME people just so happen to think. That does NOT mean that I think that way. Is it also wrong to say that some people feel they are within their rights to be racist (seen the movie "Crash"?), some people feel the Confederacy should still be their own nation, and that others still strongly believe Texas should seperate from the Union? No. This is fact. There are people out there. No matter if they're right or wrong they're there. I am not one of those people. I (silly me) decided to try and be devil's advocate... but I am not the devil. Please do NOT shoot the messenger! ---

Sorry for any vicious-ness.

iskabibble07

[123]May 12, 2008
    • level: 13
    Did I see this or imagine it but at the end of Idon't want to fight, when Sam and Carly go to hug, do their eyes meet as though they might kiss?

abz08

[124]May 12, 2008
    Well even if they DID look each other in the eyes... I think you're imagining things.

ihoppers_cheska

[125]May 12, 2008
    • level: 5

hmmm... actually... no because it's a kid show. and.. i dunno.. carly and sam?? kinda freaks me out. Maybe because they're, what, 15? i know someone said carly/freddie or sam/freddie won't be an different from carly/sam cuz it's still a romance. they're just not straight.. but.. c'mon. most gay kids don't really have boyfriends/girlfriends until they're much older. Because 15 is the time where they are still a little bit confused.. sometimes in denial. so realistically.. an open gay couple at 15... you don't see that a lot (unless you're in an all-girls or all-boys school). Or if you do know a lot of openly gay couples at 15... i dunno. maybe it's just me... or maybe i didn't grow up seeing openly gay couples at such a young age.

and in my opinion.. sam and carly are better of as best friends. they're great as best friends.. as a couple...? eh.. sorry. i can't see it.

gryffinval7890

[126]May 12, 2008
    • level: 12
    ihoppers_cheska wrote:

hmmm... actually... no because it's a kid show. and.. i dunno.. carly and sam?? kinda freaks me out. Maybe because they're, what, 15? i know someone said carly/freddie or sam/freddie won't be an different from carly/sam cuz it's still a romance. they're just not straight.. but.. c'mon. most gay kids don't really have boyfriends/girlfriends until they're much older. Because 15 is the time where they are still a little bit confused.. sometimes in denial. so realistically.. an open gay couple at 15... you don't see that a lot (unless you're in an all-girls or all-boys school). Or if you do know a lot of openly gay couples at 15... i dunno. maybe it's just me... or maybe i didn't grow up seeing openly gay couples at such a young age.

and in my opinion.. sam and carly are better of as best friends. they're great as best friends.. as a couple...? eh.. sorry. i can't see it.

i guess it just depends where you live... i live in the LA area, and i see it/have seen it almost all the time..

ihoppers_cheska

[127]May 13, 2008
    • level: 5
    gryffinval7890 wrote:

i guess it just depends where you live... i live in the LA area, and i see it/have seen it almost all the time..

well.. I grew up in the Philippines. I live in LA now... but yea. I grew up in a relatively conservative society. It was very different from LA. The only place you'll find lesbian and gay couples at a young age are in all-girls and all-boys schools. lol

gryffinval7890

[128]May 13, 2008
    ihoppers_cheska wrote:
    gryffinval7890 wrote:

well.. I grew up in the Philippines. I live in LA now... but yea. I grew up in a relatively conservative society. It was very different from LA. The only place you'll find lesbian and gay couples at a young age are in all-girls and all-boys schools. lol

well, actually the school i go to has a large number of gay people...

like i said, its probably where you live..

ieatpoprocksx3

[129]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 1
    Wait, what episode did she grab Carly's butt in??

sharethelove01

[130]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 8

ieatpoprocksx3 wrote:
    Wait, what episode did she grab Carly's butt in??

What?????

nicknameless101

[131]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 25

NecroCharm wrote:
    Since there is talk of sam and freddie and freddie and carly....How would you guys feel about Sarly? How would you react to Carly and Sam dating.

That would be so wrong!

doggieal1000

[132]Jun 27, 2008
    It normal for girls to do stuff like that pinching the but, drinking each others drink, ect.

I am not a girl but.................

lots of girls do that at my school

AndreaMSkate

[133]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 49
    Let's keep it appropriate, guys. Appropriate meaning PG/PG-13 tops. Or I'll have to close the thread.

skipperdee

[134]Jun 29, 2008
    • level: 10

In my opinion, the inclusion of any relationship, be it Carly/Freddie, Sam/Freddie, Carly/Sam, whatever, would be unsuited to this show. It's a lighthearted comedy show, and I think any relationship would add something weird and out of place to it.

I have nothing against homosexuals or anything, but I will say I think a homosexual relationship would be particularly hard to carry off on iCarly, considering how controversial (just judging by this board, even!) those relationships are. Unless you have the wit of Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert, it's hard to make something really serious really funny, and as I said, the number one focus of this show is comedy. And even if the relationship (or any relationship, for that matter) wasn't pointed out all the time, it would still be there, you know? I think the addition of any relationship would just add a kind of heavy, uncomfortable air, which is fine on Grey's Anatomy and that sort of show, but not on iCarly. That said, I vote we leave all relationships- heterosexual, homosexual, whatever- where they belong: fanfiction.

But that's just my opinion. I actually chose pancakes for the poll, though I confess I'm more of a waffles kind of girl. Mmm, waffles... I love those little squares, so perfect for holding syrup...

AndreaMSkate

[135]Jun 29, 2008
    Just based on the controversial nature of homosexuality among many people (I have nothing against it personally), I doubt Nickelodeon would include it on one of their shows. It is just ASKING for all sorts of unwanted media attention.

secrets710

[136]Jun 29, 2008
    • level: 21
    AndreaMSkate wrote:
    Just based on the controversial nature of homosexuality among many people (I have nothing against it personally), I doubt Nickelodeon would include it on one of their shows. It is just ASKING for all sorts of unwanted media attention.
    exactly. there'd be a lot of angry parents.

AndreaMSkate

[137]Jun 29, 2008
    ^ Yeah. Sadly, I am 100% positive that that would be the case...

ThereGoesHalo3

[138]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 32
    A grade one student watching iCarly as a favorite show, and then 10 years later it's the 10th grade. Soon, children are going to learn about this stuff. It's not gross, but there is just not many chances, it gonna happen.

gryffinval7890

[139]Jun 30, 2008
    ThereGoesHalo3 wrote:
    A grade one student watching iCarly as a favorite show, and then 10 years later it's the 10th grade. Soon, children are going to learn about this stuff. It's not gross, but there is just not many chances, it gonna happen.

yup! agree completely on that one... i have little bro's that are in that are 7 and 8... and they've knowm for a long time what being gay is... i mean, they'd have to... most of my frieds.. guys or girls are gay...

i wouldn't even call my family accepting... it just doesn't matter at all to us... Gay or Straight.. it makes no difference...

ThereGoesHalo3

[140]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 32
    gryffinval7890 wrote:
    ThereGoesHalo3 wrote:
    yup! agree completely on that one... i have little bro's that are in that are 7 and 8... and they've knowm for a long time what being gay is... i mean, they'd have to... most of my frieds.. guys or girls are gay i wouldn't even call my family accepting... it just doesn't matter at all to us... Gay or Straight.. it makes no difference...
    Exactly, I 100% agree with that. I don't know see how it's gross. By people meaning "gross", I think they are in detest of Gay