We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Be ok with Sarly?

Be ok with Sarly?

gryffinval7890

[101]May 7, 2008
    • level: 12
    homophobia is not only a fear or gay people. its an irrational hatred and disapproval of homosexuality...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Camy99

[102]May 7, 2008
    • level: 7
    I stated my opinion, that's it. I was just saying you should of seen this coming because this isn't the first board with a slash topic, DON'T act like you expected everyone to merrily agree with you. I will not be nicer because I meant exactly what I said, if you didn't like it I'm sorry about that, but hey, it's my opinion right?
    But whatevs, I'm done here. I apologized [sorta] now] moving on with my life. Have fun in your argument Camy

NecroCharm

[103]May 7, 2008

Camy99 wrote:
    I stated my opinion, that's it. I was just saying you should of seen this coming because this isn't the first board with a slash topic, DON'T act like you expected everyone to merrily agree with you. I will not be nicer because I meant exactly what I said, if you didn't like it I'm sorry about that, but hey, it's my opinion right? But whatevs, I'm done here. I apologized [sorta] now] moving on with my life. Have fun in your argument Camy

Wrong! Homophobia is not a valid opinion! You were rude and made uncalled comments to people who not only did nothing to you but to posters who haven't even posted here in weeks. DON'T act like just because you meant what you said means you were right in what you said. You made some poor comments and got what you deserved, a verbal tounge lashing! You obviously didn't understand what was going on here or even who was involved and got slapped as a result. So tuck your tail between your legs and leave!

And I will NOT apologize for either posts towards you as you got what was coming to you both times!

abz08

[104]May 7, 2008
    • level: 15

NecroCharm wrote:
    Wrong! Homophobia is not a valid opinion!

Ah! And there you went - too far. No matter how much you might disagree with the opinion, that does not mean it isn't valid. Some people have VERY valid reasons, even if some others don't... But homophobia sometimes isn't even an opinion, it's a state of mind, kind of, I guess you could say. I mean, people could be equally afraid of snakes or spiders, even ones that can't hurt them, and I've never heard anyone say that it isn't a valid opinion to not like those two animals. ---

Either way... this thread has gotten to be a big argument over one of the most controversial topics out there. I just want to talk about whether or not the CHARACTERS of Sam and Carly might like each other romantically - whether they might only 'experiment' one night, something more, or if they wouldn't go near each other in any kind of non-platonic way (because we all know they will hug, and comfort each other, etc. when necessary).

Edited on 05/07/2008 7:51pm

Gryffindorkish

[105]May 7, 2008
    • level: 4
    gryffinval7890 wrote:
    Gryffindorkish wrote:
    crzza wrote:
    abz08 wrote:

I agree (mostly) with Era and iskabibble07. And in any case - there's no need for name calling. And since I'm uber busy - I'm just going to argue one little point.

Camy99 wrote:
    The PRESIDENTS are fighting over this issue, it's straight out dumb to say that if straight is allowed than so should slash.

No, not really. What government leaders (not just the one president) are debating is whether or not same-sex marriage should be legal, instead of just civil-unions or whereas some people have commitment ceremonies. THAT is what they're talking about. Not the relationships themselves... they are trying to compare it to marriage, and see how the rules would be the same, and how they differ. ---

What WE are talking about is whether or not these two characters might be interested in each other. And quite frankly - I don't think the idea of iCarly being a children's show has anything to do with it. But that's just me. I don't care if it could happen canonically - I think we all know it won't. But is this a legitimate ship or not - that's the question. I say it's entirely possible.

If it's against the bible, it shouldn't be legal.
    So then I guess my science class (and pretty much every other biology class out there) should be thrown in jail then for studying Evolution. Not everyone belives in the bible; many religions have belifes that specifically conradict the bible. Are you saying that their beliefs should be outlawed?

Of course not.

We all have the right to legally pracitce our own beliefs. And like others have mentioned so many modern things that are incorporated into our lives go against the literal meaning of the bible.

I know that this has nothing to do with Sarly (which by the way, I'd have no problem with other than the fact that I'm a die-hard Seddie shipper), but I just needed state my oppinion.

you said it all! i fully agree with everthing even the seddie part(duh! hee hee hee!) have you noticed that sam and freddie are more in the same mind set than sam and carly are most of the time? with C&S they usually have to explain things to each other...
    I know! It's one of the things I love about Seddie. They're just so intune with one another.
    Edited on 05/07/2008 7:56pm

Nature9000

[106]May 7, 2008
    • level: 9

I'm a bit reluctant to offer my opinion because I think I'll be chewed out no matter what I say here. I personally feel that if the show had characters that were a bit older, maybe college age, Sam and Carly would not be a bad idea. However, I don't agree that they would make a good couple on the show currently.

I am not against gay relationships, but I must say that one, tv is very influencial on young childrenand two, this show is geared more toward children. It would probably make lesbian relationships seem more acceptable, which isn't a bad thing but there are times when straight relationships are a good thing. In a world where it seems more and more people are becoming gay/lesbian, where do the children of the world go? Surely the sperm banks couldn't work out forever...

Ah but ignore that last paragraph (I will be chewed out for it, just you see.) I think that it wouldn't hurt to experiment but I just don't think iCarly would be a right place to start out. I haven't really seen any episodes where Carly and Sam seem remotely interested in each other in the romantic aspect, Carly seems more interested in Jake anyway. And if Sam and Freddie happen to get together, it is always possible, they seem to be closer as well.

Another reason why I think it probably wouldn't happen is because right now the topic is far to controversial and no teen nick show has had an openly gay/lesbian character, the writers of the show are the ones that really say whether it would happen or not, the fans don't matter to them. Pretty much the writers decide and it is often on their own beliefs, so if the writer of iCarly feels that it's not too controversial and that more than half of America's parents wouldn't care, they might try it. I don't really see iCarly as being the first teennick show to have that in it. I wouldn't count Spongebob as one though, but I'll agree it has traces of gay/lesbian in it, but make note that the only interesting females in the whole show consist of Sandy and maybe Pearl.

As to the person who said Homophobia was valid, it's not. Homophobia is the acute fear and hatred of all gays and lesbians, it is discrimatory and overly judgemental. Homophobia can be to the level that racism was in the fifties and still is today, it is far from a valid opinion. One should NEVER judge someone based on whether someone is gay straight, or bisexual. Also, I am a firm believer that people choose to be gay straight, or bisexual. It just seems more logical to me that they would choose it, they could even be influenced at a early age. I don't think that we are born with the thought in our mind that goes like: "Oh, I'm straight." or "I'm gay Personally, people don't usually start thinking about sexuality until they hit a certain age, and it's that age when the person decides whether they are going to be interested in male, females or...there is no other gender.

That's all I have for you, I don't mind if there are those who disagree, but please try not to chew me out and jump all over me. I've noticed in the past 11 pages, this really just seems like a battle about whether being gay/lesbian is right or wrong and not so much about whether Carly and Sam should be together...

abz08

[107]May 7, 2008
    You're right... I would make a big arguement over one paragraph in your response, but I agree wholeheartedly whereas your Sam/Carly comments lie. Except to say that the writers DO care what the fans say/think, and even if they were to write something in... it doesn't mean it'll happen. The people who've hired them can make them re-do it, and even if something is IN there AND shot, it doesn't mean it'll get shown in the actual episode. ---

I disagree though, that people CHOOSE to be gay or lesbian. Just because it is, in a way, a "choice" does not mean that one chooses that choice. ---

And where the difference between racism and homophobia comes into play is: A) Being homophobic, for some people, goes into their religious beliefs. You can't ask people to change those. B ) Homophobia is an actual fear - being a racist does not entail an aspect like that in it's nature. Being homophobic doesn't mean you ARE against them... you may not even LIKE being the way you are, but you are. ---

Just saying... look at all sides. ---

XD A Sam/Carly college!experiment! fic would be interesting!!! Any takers? XD

NecroCharm

[108]May 7, 2008
    abz08 wrote:

Ah! And there you went - too far. No matter how much you might disagree with the opinion, that does not mean it isn't valid. Some people have VERY valid reasons, even if some others don't... But homophobia sometimes isn't even an opinion, it's a state of mind, kind of, I guess you could say. I mean, people could be equally afraid of snakes or spiders, even ones that can't hurt them, and I've never heard anyone say that it isn't a valid opinion to not like those two animals. ---

You were doing so well until you said that! How can you saying hating someone based on their choice of mate is valid? That means you are starting to show you condone bigotry, there is no denying that as you made it clear that you do. How is hating gays valid? What intelligent reason could anyone possibly have other than being ignorant? Whats next? Racism is valid? Can someone hate blacks because of their skin color and that can be valid? And how could you compare hating gays to being afraid of snakes? Thats just silly.

You were doing well until you showed your true colors, there is NO valid reason for hating gays, none at all. Your stock just went down.

NecroCharm

[109]May 7, 2008

abz08 wrote:
    You're right... I would make a big arguement over one paragraph in your response, but I agree wholeheartedly whereas your Sam/Carly comments lie. Except to say that the writers DO care what the fans say/think, and even if they were to write something in... it doesn't mean it'll happen. The people who've hired them can make them re-do it, and even if something is IN there AND shot, it doesn't mean it'll get shown in the actual episode. --- I disagree though, that people CHOOSE to be gay or lesbian. Just because it is, in a way, a "choice" does not mean that one chooses that choice. --- And where the difference between racism and homophobia comes into play is: A) Being homophobic, for some people, goes into their religious beliefs. You can't ask people to change those. B ) Homophobia is an actual fear - being a racist does not entail an aspect like that in it's nature. Being homophobic doesn't mean you ARE against them... you may not even LIKE being the way you are, but you are. --- Just saying... look at all sides. --- XD A Sam/Carly college!experiment! fic would be interesting!!! Any takers? XD

Being homophobic does mean you are against them, it means you hate gays for illogical reasons and there is no valid reason for that. And religion is not a valid excuse, and it's not allowed in our justice system anyway. And FYI, most religions don't condem gays anyway.

missyera

[110]May 7, 2008
    • level: 8
    Hey Matt! Glad to see you here. No worries, at least on these boards, you can actually discuss something compared to the HM boards where your long drawn out arguments are instantly TOS-sed out without no one reading it. So, getting chewed on in here is actually very lucky, cos' that means people read through your posts.

Anyways, all these debates about the validity of homophobia as a point is going round in circles. Besides, who decides whether a point is valid or not? What rules do we follow to determine that one's opinion towards homophobia is right or wrong?

So, while you may disagree with one's opinions, doesn't mean either of you are in the right or wrong. Opinions are called opinions for a reason, that is, "a personal belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty." So, let's all take a chill pill, and move back to topic.

As for me, do I think Sam/Carly is cute? Yes...but only as how best friends should and since they're practically as sisters, they're bound to be comfortable with each other. I support the strong friendship of Sam/Carly, but not of them ever getting together on this show. I don't think its wrong if anyone DOES support them romantically, because it's one's own personaly preferences. The topic asked, "Be Okay with Sarly?"

Unfortunately, for me, it's not ok. If it happens in the show, I'll just stop watching, cos' it goes against what I believe in. I won't force others to boycott the show though, nor would i spread hatred towards the show for choosing that direction for its characters.

gryffinval7890

[111]May 7, 2008
    i 100% agree that there is no reason for people to hate Gay people...

i read an article on Lance Bass, and he said something pretty cool... he said if someone ever asks him if he's gay he says "no, im ALSO gay that its not a relevent part of his life, its just a small aspect of his life that has nothing to do with the person that he is.

even if being gay "is against your religion", if it bothers YOU so much then YOU make sure not to "practice homosexuality"... leave the gay people alone... they're not hurting anyone by being gay...

and if you thinking "what if they hit on me?"

-first of all: don't flatter yourself into thinking that every gay person is after you

-and secondly>: if they do, quite frankly, you should be flattered, and turn them down... isn't that what people usually do if they don't find someone attractive?

even if it is in the bible or whatever, and its a "sin" isn't it also a sin to judge others?

abz08

[112]May 8, 2008
    NecroCharm wrote:
    You were doing well until you showed your true colors, there is NO valid reason for hating gays, none at all. Your stock just went down.

Excuse me? My true colors, as you put it, happen to be that same sex marriage should be made legal - and there is no good reason that they shouldn't be as valid as heterosexual marriages within the church. It is my OWN opinion that being gay is just as right as being straight - and that one way or the other - it does not affect who that person is, and they should not be judged by their sexual orientation. ---

Just because I manage to try and see every side of the arguement does not mean that I'm putting on a facade, or disguising my "true colors". It means I happen to be an intelligent individual who likes to make informed decisions. ---

Era... I partially agree with you, and I kind of don't. I don't think a Sam/Carly relationship would be appropriate within the show... not because it's not reasonable, or wrong or anything - but because it WOULD make such a statement. I think that whatever children's network/company does it first, ('it' being addressing homosexual relationships as part of everyday life) it won't be the children main characters. It should be an adult character, maybe even a friend's mother or father and their partner (which would arrange nicely for a guest star, and no pressure to always have them there).

missyera

[114]May 8, 2008
    gryffinval7890 wrote:

i read an article on Lance Bass, and he said something pretty cool... he said if someone ever asks him if he's gay he says "no, im ALSO gay that its not a relevent part of his life, its just a small aspect of his life that has nothing to do with the person that he is.

even if being gay "is against your religion", if it bothers YOU so much then YOU make sure not to "practice homosexuality"... leave the gay people alone... they're not hurting anyone by being gay...

-first of all: don't flatter yourself into thinking that every gay person is after you

-and secondly>: if they do, quite frankly, you should be flattered, and turn them down... isn't that what people usually do if they don't find someone attractive?

even if it is in the bible or whatever, and its a "sin" isn't it also a sin to judge others?

^^ Agree. Though that last sentence could be modified a bit.

It's not a sin to judge others, but it's a sin to judge people that you DON'T know and live your lives hating these group of people who have done you no wrong in the first place. Big difference.

missyera

[115]May 8, 2008
    abz08 wrote:
    Era... I partially agree with you, and I kind of don't. I don't think a Sam/Carly relationship would be appropriate within the show... not because it's not reasonable, or wrong or anything - but because it WOULD make such a statement. I think that whatever children's network/company does it first, ('it' being addressing homosexual relationships as part of everyday life) it won't be the children main characters. It should be an adult character, maybe even a friend's mother or father and their partner (which would arrange nicely for a guest star, and no pressure to always have them there).

Sorry, but i'm a little confused here. When did I ever say that a Sam/Carly relationship would be appropriate or not within the show? Hmm....

gryffinval7890

[116]May 8, 2008
    missyera wrote:
    gryffinval7890 wrote:

^^ Agree. Though that last sentence could be modified a bit.

It's not a sin to judge others, but it's a sin to judge people that you DON'T know and live your lives hating these group of people who have done you no wrong in the first place. Big difference.

i was just trying to make a point that its wrong to judge people just because they are gay

missyera

[117]May 8, 2008
    Hehe...which i agree completely. So no worries. I'm not going against your point or anything, just making an elaboration off yours.

gryffinval7890

[118]May 8, 2008

missyera wrote:
    Hehe...which i agree completely. So no worries. I'm not going against your point or anything, just making an elaboration off yours.
    no worries here either... just trying to make sure my point got across clearly...

NecroCharm

[119]May 8, 2008

abz08 wrote:
    NecroCharm wrote:
    Excuse me? My true colors, as you put it, happen to be that same sex marriage should be made legal - and there is no good reason that they shouldn't be as valid as heterosexual marriages within the church. It is my OWN opinion that being gay is just as right as being straight - and that one way or the other - it does not affect who that person is, and they should not be judged by their sexual orientation. --- Just because I manage to try and see every side of the arguement does not mean that I'm putting on a facade, or disguising my "true colors". It means I happen to be an intelligent individual who likes to make informed decisions.

Don't go around in circles here abz, you just said some people have VERY valid reasons for hating gays, which in context makes it look like you are ok with it, it also means you are masking your true colors by making the above post. There is no valid reason, you can try to understand it all you want, but saying it is valid on any level only makes you look bad.

ger5632

[120]May 8, 2008
    • level: 24
    Of course not! I hate Liley. You think i would like Sarly. ew. you make sounds like lesbians