We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Be ok with Sarly?

Be ok with Sarly?

NecroCharm

[21]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 7

I will let his comments speak for themselves.

Now can anybody here give me a mature and intelligent reply?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

abz08

[22]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 15

Yes. I can.

While I doubt that it would happen in the show - I mean, even American soap operas are having trouble with their gay couples (Luke and Noah anyone?) it is a good idea. At the very least it would be wildly accepted in fandom (just like Miley/Lilly is currently) and could catch on like wildfire. ---

Quite frankly though... these girls are a little young to even be thinking about not being straight. Such an idea might pop into their heads at more about the 15-17 year age range. Right now they're still very into boys (well at least Carly is - Sam doesn't seem to care one way or the other) and both have had boyfriends/almost boyfriends. And - I actually think the idea of Sam as a bisexual works very well. It makes a lot of sense. ---

As for this being a children's show though... I've already stated that it's hard to come by in television in general - even in soap operas. And for such a care-free show - a sexual identity crisis would be a bit too dramatic. For any children's network though - I'd say Nick is the most likely for such an idea. I mean, there is a ridiculous amount of boy kissing going on on Drake & Josh (which is adorable ), and depending on Spongebob's age (I am NEVER sure of even a RANGE) he is most likely gay.

Edited on 04/11/2008 4:07pm

NecroCharm

[23]Apr 11, 2008
    abz08 wrote:

Yes. I can.

While I doubt that it would happen in the show - I mean, even American soap operas are having trouble with their gay couples (Luke and Noah anyone?) it is a good idea. At the very least it would be wildly accepted in fandom (just like Miley/Lilly is currently) and could catch on like wildfire. ---

Quite frankly though... these girls are a little young to even be thinking about not being straight. Such an idea might pop into their heads at more about the 15-17 year age range. Right now they're still very into boys (well at least Carly is - Sam doesn't seem to care one way or the other) and both have had boyfriends/almost boyfriends. And - I actually think the idea of Sam as a bisexual works very well. It makes a lot of sense. ---

As for this being a children's show though... I've already stated that it's hard to come by in television in general - even in soap operas. And for such a care-free show - a sexual identity crisis would be a bit too dramatic. For any children's network though - I'd say Nick is the most likely for such an idea. I mean, there is a ridiculous amount of boy kissing going on on Drake & Josh (which is adorable ), and depending on Spongebob's age (I am NEVER sure of even a RANGE) he is most likely gay.

Thank you for the well thought out and written reply. This is EXACTLY the kind of reponse I was looking for. If there was a rep system here I would green rep you to the moon. Good job! You answered everything really well.

It doesn't have to be dramatic, just light hearted like the others, but then again icarly is on teenick which supposed to be directed at tweens, I don't agree with the ratings these shows get and with the guests the kids choice awards has the nick audience maybe a bit more mature then nick understand. Part of the casts of heroes was on last year.

Spongebob is actually seen as a gay pride show by the gay community, I think they over do how much is in there but it is there. Remember when he said he really like squidward, they hint at him being gay all the time. Maybe they are just teasing with it due to some people having a fit about that one episode where patrick and spongebob has a baby clam. And I think sponebob's age range is 21 to 25.

Edited on 04/11/2008 4:22pm

abz08

[24]Apr 11, 2008
    NecroCharm wrote:
    Thank you for the well thought out and written reply. This is EXACTLY the kind of reponse I was looking for. If there was a rep system here I would green rep you to the moon. Good job! You answered everything really well.

It doesn't have to be dramatic, just light hearted like the others, but then again icarly is on teenick which supposed to be directed at tweens, I don't agree with the ratings these shows get and with the guests the kids choice awards has the nick audience maybe a bit more mature then nick understand. Part of the casts of heroes was on last year. Spongebob is actually seen as a gay pride show by the gay community, I think they over do how much is in there but it is there. Remember when he said he really like squidward, they hint at him being gay all the time. Maybe they are just teasing with it due to some people having a fit about that one episode where patrick and spongebob has a baby clam. And I think sponebob's age range is 21 to 25.

You're totally welcome. ---

I'm actually always really surprised to see the broad range of stars that show up for the KCAs - and for the people who host and the people who give out awards, win awards, and perform. And as a company/corporation it would be smart for Nick to take a step forward and lead the world away from homophobia and the like. It would be a huge advantage over Disney, if a setback at the same time for people who aren't ready to take that step yet. ---

iCarly though, would not be the place to start. Firstly because Carly and Freddie flirt like mad all of the freaking time and I can't see them NOT being a couple in the future. And secondly -I think they already took large steps forward with the Drake and Josh kissing. BUT - you're right about the care-free thing. But in order for that to work, the show would need to have homosexual characters on it to start, and then no one would make a big deal about it.---

But I never knew Spongebob was really a gay pride kind of show. O_o I'll have to remember that.

sharethelove01

[25]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 8
    I don't think Sarly is the best idea but I could see it. Isn't it Cam or does it matter?

NecroCharm

[26]Apr 11, 2008

sharethelove01 wrote:
    I don't think Sarly is the best idea but I could see it. Isn't it Cam or does it matter?

Depends on who you put first, Sam and Carly or Carly and Sam. I put Sam first because I like her more. You can have more than 1...How about Casam........Nevermind. If you pronounce it right you will get the joke.

crzza

[27]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 49
    I wouldn't be ok with it.

gryffinval7890

[28]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 12

i think that would be cute if they got together....

it wouldn't be the first time there was a gay Nick character...like on Jimmy Neutron, the creater Kieth Alcorn confirmed that principle willoby is gay they never showed him with a man, but he was very much the stereotypical gay guy...

(i don't like stereotypes, but i guess they wanted an obvious way to show that he was gay without having a partner for him.. *shrugs* )

crzza

[29]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 49
    Yeah. I never really thought of that but he really was.

NecroCharm

[30]Apr 11, 2008
    gryffinval7890 wrote:

i think that would be cute if they got together....

it wouldn't be the first time there was a gay Nick character...like on Jimmy Neutron, the creater Kieth Alcorn confirmed that principle willoby is gay they never showed him with a man, but he was very much the stereotypical gay guy...

(i don't like stereotypes, but i guess they wanted an obvious way to show that he was gay without having a partner for him.. *shrugs* )

FOP had the samething like that, Mr. Bickles while I don't ever confirmed came across the same way.

gryffinval7890

[31]Apr 11, 2008
    really? i never watched it that much...remind me who that is...

NecroCharm

[32]Apr 11, 2008

gryffinval7890 wrote:
    really? i never watched it that much...remind me who that is...

He is the drama teacher that always has dreams that never come true. Check out episodes like The Masked Magician to get an idea.

http://www.tv.com/the-fairly-odd-parents/the-masked-magician---the-big-bash/episode/400513/summary.html?tag=ep_list;title;4

gryffinval7890

[33]Apr 11, 2008

oh yeah!! i remember that now...thanks...

Eddy654

[34]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 18
    It would be ok for a second but Icarly is for kids and the lesbian part would be nasty unaceptable why would you even think about it. Nick would get sued big for doing suck an sick thing, I have wants too you know but this is not a good one though.

yugaton88

[36]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 22
    crzza wrote:
    I wouldn't be ok with it.

Me either.

Collegebound06

[37]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 32
    exactly its a kids show..that would never happen..i mean i know a lot of ppl were w/ drake and josh..and nothing ever happened there so nothing will happen again

abz08

[38]Apr 12, 2008

Collegebound06 wrote:
    exactly its a kids show..that would never happen..i mean i know a lot of ppl were w/ drake and josh..and nothing ever happened there so nothing will happen again

Just because we know they wouldn't do it ( A. because Carly will get with Freddie, and B. because it's Nick and a kids' show) doesn't mean we can't think about it, and recognize it as plausible in the fandom world. ---

I believe, as characters - it is completely plausible. But to dismiss the idea simply because it is a homosexual relationship and this is a 'children's' show is immature and ludicrous. In the canon world, there is a lot that happens we don't see - and once the show would stop altogether, the characters will grow up and be adults. This fact makes it perfectly fine to be thinking that maybe these characters might actually be gay and want to be with each other in the future.

Wedgie317

[39]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 13
    abz08 wrote:

Collegebound06 wrote:

Just because we know they wouldn't do it ( A. because Carly will get with Freddie, and B. because it's Nick and a kids' show) doesn't mean we can't think about it, and recognize it as plausible in the fandom world. ---

I believe, as characters - it is completely plausible. But to dismiss the idea simply because it is a homosexual relationship and this is a 'children's' show is immature and ludicrous. In the canon world, there is a lot that happens we don't see - and once the show would stop altogether, the characters will grow up and be adults. This fact makes it perfectly fine to be thinking that maybe these characters might actually be gay and want to be with each other in the future.

Exactly. As much as you know it will never happen, just let it go and talk what you think about the idea. Although it is interesting to think about. I don't think I would follow through with watching it every time it came on as it would get annoying and probably sick to me after a while, but I would be all for the idea for a while.
    Edited on 04/12/2008 10:54am

Collegebound06

[40]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 32
    one word and let me emphasize it: GROSS!!!!!!!!!