We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Thoughts on the first 2 Episodes

MarcolapinMar

[41]Apr 12, 2012
    • level: 4
    I would say that we now know what kind of personality she is, even if we had a sneak preview about korra. She is older but not mature enough and I must say that I like the idea that we see already Mako and Korra has a possible relation. I didnt expect it to turns so quickly after the second episode, I mean, the last scene of episode 2 talks for itself.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

readapost

[42]Apr 13, 2012
    • level: 14

MarcolapinMar wrote:
    I would say that we now know what kind of personality she is, even if we had a sneak preview about korra. She is older but not mature enough and I must say that I like the idea that we see already Mako and Korra has a possible relation. I didnt expect it to turns so quickly after the second episode, I mean, the last scene of episode 2 talks for itself.
    That reminds me of Star Wars so much. I can see it now.

Mako: I'm your relation!

Korra: No!

Edited on 04/13/2012 1:52pm

captaintombatch

[43]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 32
    I just saw the premiere earlier today, and it was fantastic. I would give it a 9.5 out of 10, and it did a great job linking previous series into this one. I was totally hoping that Katara would reveal what happened to Zuko's mom, and it was such a tease. Unbeliveable! Will it ever be revealed?

Star_Dreamer

[44]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 13

So who else watched the official premiere today, even though they had already seen the first two episodes? =p

I think the series is off to a good start. I've noticed a lot of people feeling a little shaky about it, but if you just watch the first two episodes of A:tLA, it's not like we had a lot to go off of back then either so I wouldn't be so downcast just yet.

Things I would like to provide my opinion for that have been briefly mentioned in this thread:
    1) The technology is definitely new. It'll take a bit for the audience to adjust to the switch from the pre-industrialness of the original series, but it's kind of what had to happen. I mean, we went through the industrial revolution in America in about 50 years, and that was set off by things like electricity, expansion of transportation, factories, etc.

In the Avatar universe, up until Republic City, the nations had always been separated and technology was developed in each separate nation. So what happens when you put those nations together? TECHNOLOGY EXPLOSION. And I know a lot of people are like, WTF RADIOS AND CARS AND MAYBE ROBOTS? And I understand--it's weird. But c'mon. Our first launch into space was like, 50 years ago. Now we've got all this space technology and all these satellites and stuff and that's without having any cool abilities like bending. If they didn't develop a freaking radio in the Avatar 'verse after 70 years + the combination of the elements, I'd be a little concerned.

2) MAKO. KORRA. GUH. I don't know what direction the creators are headed with this, but they've more than hinted at the relationship between the two characters. A lot of people are like, "Okay, that was kind of really quick to start a relationship in the series," and you know what? They're right. And it's a cause for worry. Not because I think the creators are slipping up and rushing into the relationship, but because they're most likely setting us up for a BIG slap in the face. Aang liked Katara from Day 1; he just never did anything about it until the end. Korra has a different approach. And I don't know how Mako will take it, or what Bolin's role will be in all this, but it's not going to be sunshine and roses--not with Mike and Bryan.

3) AMON. If he and his group are anti-benders, they must be trying to discover way to get rid of bending. Chi-blocking as Ty Lee did was temporary, so I could see them picking up on that. If they did discover a permanent way, it wouldn't be the same way as the lion-turtle method because Aang did that THROUGH bending. "In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves," said Sir Lion-Turtle. Still bending. I mean, I guess they -could- technically do it this way, if they were benders, but it'd be a little ironic.

With reasons and identity unknown, it's hard to say really what Amon's ultimate plan is. He clearly hates benders and we don't know why, so that's one thing we need to figure out. I could see Ozai being the man behind the mask...if he were still alive. But he'd be like 100 something, so I seriously doubt it's him. And I don't think Ozai had any kids while in prison. Azula kind of really loves firebending, so I doubt it's her either, plus she'd be as old as Katara and I don't think they'd lose tabs on Lady Crazy. We're either looking at a) new character, or b) old character with reason to hate bending.

Aaaand that's about all I've got to offer for now. Feels good to type so much about a show, it's been a while. ^^

Nerdnot

[45]Apr 14, 2012
    captaintombatch wrote:
    I just saw the premiere earlier today, and it was fantastic. I would give it a 9.5 out of 10, and it did a great job linking previous series into this one. I was totally hoping that Katara would reveal what happened to Zuko's mom, and it was such a tease. Unbeliveable! Will it ever be revealed?

Nope, at least not in the show. Maybe in the Avatar Books....

MarcolapinMar

[46]Apr 14, 2012
    Nerdnot wrote:
    captaintombatch wrote:

Nope, at least not in the show. Maybe in the Avatar Books....

And Zuko's mom was also Mako's grand grand mother ! just kidding...

but, it does sounds cool, no ? Or even Ozai beign the bad AMON, it does too, or a mix between Ozai and the spirit world

AwaiSSiawa

[47]Apr 15, 2012

Has anyone considered Amon to be Zuko's mom? O_o. Kinda farfetched I know...

UnovaChampion

[48]Apr 15, 2012
    • level: 19
    That's past far fetched considering it doesn't make one iota of sense.

Nerdnot

[49]Apr 15, 2012
    AwaiSSiawa wrote:

Has anyone considered Amon to be Zuko's mom? O_o. Kinda farfetched I know...

It's a guys voice, what girl could talk like that?

UnovaChampion

[50]Apr 15, 2012
    Not to mention Zuko's mom isn't evil.

>_>

AllieAllie

[51]Apr 15, 2012
    • level: 22

Who's to say she isn't evil? We only saw a little bit of her in the show, she seemed kind but she could have changed since then. You never know. That said, yeah, it wouldn't make sense for her to be Amon.

Star_Dreamer wrote:

2) MAKO. KORRA. GUH. I don't know what direction the creators are headed with this, but they've more than hinted at the relationship between the two characters. A lot of people are like, "Okay, that was kind of really quick to start a relationship in the series," and you know what? They're right. And it's a cause for worry. Not because I think the creators are slipping up and rushing into the relationship, but because they're most likely setting us up for a BIG slap in the face. Aang liked Katara from Day 1; he just never did anything about it until the end. Korra has a different approach. And I don't know how Mako will take it, or what Bolin's role will be in all this, but it's not going to be sunshine and roses--not with Mike and Bryan.

3) AMON. If he and his group are anti-benders, they must be trying to discover way to get rid of bending. Chi-blocking as Ty Lee did was temporary, so I could see them picking up on that. If they did discover a permanent way, it wouldn't be the same way as the lion-turtle method because Aang did that THROUGH bending. "In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves," said Sir Lion-Turtle. Still bending. I mean, I guess they -could- technically do it this way, if they were benders, but it'd be a little ironic.

With reasons and identity unknown, it's hard to say really what Amon's ultimate plan is. He clearly hates benders and we don't know why, so that's one thing we need to figure out. I could see Ozai being the man behind the mask...if he were still alive. But he'd be like 100 something, so I seriously doubt it's him. And I don't think Ozai had any kids while in prison. Azula kind of really loves firebending, so I doubt it's her either, plus she'd be as old as Katara and I don't think they'd lose tabs on Lady Crazy. We're either looking at a) new character, or b) old character with reason to hate bending.

Aaaand that's about all I've got to offer for now. Feels good to type so much about a show, it's been a while. ^^

Yeah, I'm kinda worried about the Makorra thing too. It seems like they might be moving their relationship so quickly b/c either they're gonna keep breaking them up and having them get back together, or they just wont end up together in the end at all.

Bumi lived to be over 100, so its possible that Ozai could still be alive too. Thats the only old character I could see being Amon. If its a new character, he could have had his bending taken away somehow or was somehow mistreated by benders in the past.

readapost

[52]Apr 15, 2012

AllieAllie wrote:

Star_Dreamer wrote:

Yeah, I'm kinda worried about the Makorra thing too. It seems like they might be moving their relationship so quickly b/c either they're gonna keep breaking them up and having them get back together, or they just wont end up together in the end at all.

Bumi lived to be over 100, so its possible that Ozai could still be alive too. Thats the only old character I could see being Amon. If its a new character, he could have had his bending taken away somehow or was somehow mistreated by benders in the past.

True, but I think this tm around the whole Makorra is about how relationships are. Something hinted in the Last Airbender, but never really shown. After all this is dealing with more mature characters why shouldn't there be more mature themes?

Edited on 04/15/2012 4:40pm

UnovaChampion

[53]Apr 15, 2012
    Aang was only 12 and was too shy about his feelings for Katara in the first series, plus they were in the middle of stopping a war, that's why it took 61 episodes for them to kiss.

It only makes sense for Korra's relationship to move faster.

Friendly_Shroom

[54]Apr 15, 2012
    • level: 1

Looks very promising! Can't wait to see next week's ep

Nerdnot

[55]Apr 15, 2012
    UnovaChampion wrote:
    Aang was only 12 and was too shy about his feelings for Katara in the first series, plus they were in the middle of stopping a war, that's why it took 61 episodes for them to kiss.

It only makes sense for Korra's relationship to move faster.
    no cause they kissed in The Black sun episode part 1

UnovaChampion

[56]Apr 15, 2012
    Oh right. 50 episodes then.

Still, it took a lot longer for Kataang to hit off than it will for Makorra. And it makes sense since they are both much older and only have a revolution to deal with. Not the fate of the world.

MajLorne

[57]Apr 15, 2012
    • level: 21
    I dunno if this was brought up or not, but isn't this pairing more to appease fans of Zuko-Katara from the first show? I mean to some extent Katara and Zuko seemed like a good pairing, but they wanted Aang to get the girl because he's the hero.

superSokka

[58]Apr 15, 2012
    • level: 7
    Star_Dreamer wrote:

So who else watched the official premiere today, even though they had already seen the first two episodes? =p

I think the series is off to a good start. I've noticed a lot of people feeling a little shaky about it, but if you just watch the first two episodes of A:tLA, it's not like we had a lot to go off of back then either so I wouldn't be so downcast just yet.

Things I would like to provide my opinion for that have been briefly mentioned in this thread:
    1) The technology is definitely new. It'll take a bit for the audience to adjust to the switch from the pre-industrialness of the original series, but it's kind of what had to happen. I mean, we went through the industrial revolution in America in about 50 years, and that was set off by things like electricity, expansion of transportation, factories, etc.

In the Avatar universe, up until Republic City, the nations had always been separated and technology was developed in each separate nation. So what happens when you put those nations together? TECHNOLOGY EXPLOSION. And I know a lot of people are like, WTF RADIOS AND CARS AND MAYBE ROBOTS? And I understand--it's weird. But c'mon. Our first launch into space was like, 50 years ago. Now we've got all this space technology and all these satellites and stuff and that's without having any cool abilities like bending. If they didn't develop a freaking radio in the Avatar 'verse after 70 years + the combination of the elements, I'd be a little concerned.

Ya know the emblem on the front of the thugs car was a Lion Turtle.

AllieAllie

[59]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 22

superSokka wrote:
    Star_Dreamer wrote:

Ya know the emblem on the front of the thugs car was a Lion Turtle.

I didn't even realize that. That could definitely mean something *speculates more*

shadowscott

[60]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 23

So, I just realized they have two different intros. We did not see this on tv (at least I did not notice it) but check out the first minute or so on both. I kinda like the announcer. Reminds me of the way Iroh (I think), used to say previously on avatar...

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-101-full-episode.html

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-102-a-leaf-in-the-wind-full-episode.html