We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Thoughts on the first 2 Episodes

superSokka

[61]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 7
    AllieAllie wrote:

superSokka wrote:
    Star_Dreamer wrote:

So who else watched the official premiere today, even though they had already seen the first two episodes? =p

I think the series is off to a good start. I've noticed a lot of people feeling a little shaky about it, but if you just watch the first two episodes of A:tLA, it's not like we had a lot to go off of back then either so I wouldn't be so downcast just yet.

Things I would like to provide my opinion for that have been briefly mentioned in this thread:
    1) The technology is definitely new. It'll take a bit for the audience to adjust to the switch from the pre-industrialness of the original series, but it's kind of what had to happen. I mean, we went through the industrial revolution in America in about 50 years, and that was set off by things like electricity, expansion of transportation, factories, etc.

In the Avatar universe, up until Republic City, the nations had always been separated and technology was developed in each separate nation. So what happens when you put those nations together? TECHNOLOGY EXPLOSION. And I know a lot of people are like, WTF RADIOS AND CARS AND MAYBE ROBOTS? And I understand--it's weird. But c'mon. Our first launch into space was like, 50 years ago. Now we've got all this space technology and all these satellites and stuff and that's without having any cool abilities like bending. If they didn't develop a freaking radio in the Avatar 'verse after 70 years + the combination of the elements, I'd be a little concerned.

2) MAKO. KORRA. GUH. I don't know what direction the creators are headed with this, but they've more than hinted at the relationship between the two characters. A lot of people are like, "Okay, that was kind of really quick to start a relationship in the series," and you know what? They're right. And it's a cause for worry. Not because I think the creators are slipping up and rushing into the relationship, but because they're most likely setting us up for a BIG slap in the face. Aang liked Katara from Day 1; he just never did anything about it until the end. Korra has a different approach. And I don't know how Mako will take it, or what Bolin's role will be in all this, but it's not going to be sunshine and roses--not with Mike and Bryan.

3) AMON. If he and his group are anti-benders, they must be trying to discover way to get rid of bending. Chi-blocking as Ty Lee did was temporary, so I could see them picking up on that. If they did discover a permanent way, it wouldn't be the same way as the lion-turtle method because Aang did that THROUGH bending. "In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves," said Sir Lion-Turtle. Still bending. I mean, I guess they -could- technically do it this way, if they were benders, but it'd be a little ironic.

With reasons and identity unknown, it's hard to say really what Amon's ultimate plan is. He clearly hates benders and we don't know why, so that's one thing we need to figure out. I could see Ozai being the man behind the mask...if he were still alive. But he'd be like 100 something, so I seriously doubt it's him. And I don't think Ozai had any kids while in prison. Azula kind of really loves firebending, so I doubt it's her either, plus she'd be as old as Katara and I don't think they'd lose tabs on Lady Crazy. We're either looking at a) new character, or b) old character with reason to hate bending.

Aaaand that's about all I've got to offer for now. Feels good to type so much about a show, it's been a while. ^^

Ya know the emblem on the front of the thugs car was a Lion Turtle.

I didn't even realize that. That could definitely mean something *speculates more*

Ive also noticed that it would seem that Amons henchmen are also throwing lightning around in some of the previews in edition to the lion turtle on the thugs car. Could this be a decendant Azula? A grandson maybe of Ozai wanting to avenge his Grandfather? Being a bender and starting an anti-bender revolution would be logical if the goal was to contain and controll the public, non-benders and benders alike, while retaining his power of bending and his henchmen. If benders are punished by having their bending taken away then who would be left to challenge them?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MarcolapinMar

[62]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 4
    superSokka wrote:
    AllieAllie wrote:

superSokka wrote:
    Star_Dreamer wrote:

So who else watched the official premiere today, even though they had already seen the first two episodes? =p

I think the series is off to a good start. I've noticed a lot of people feeling a little shaky about it, but if you just watch the first two episodes of A:tLA, it's not like we had a lot to go off of back then either so I wouldn't be so downcast just yet.

Things I would like to provide my opinion for that have been briefly mentioned in this thread:
    1) The technology is definitely new. It'll take a bit for the audience to adjust to the switch from the pre-industrialness of the original series, but it's kind of what had to happen. I mean, we went through the industrial revolution in America in about 50 years, and that was set off by things like electricity, expansion of transportation, factories, etc.

In the Avatar universe, up until Republic City, the nations had always been separated and technology was developed in each separate nation. So what happens when you put those nations together? TECHNOLOGY EXPLOSION. And I know a lot of people are like, WTF RADIOS AND CARS AND MAYBE ROBOTS? And I understand--it's weird. But c'mon. Our first launch into space was like, 50 years ago. Now we've got all this space technology and all these satellites and stuff and that's without having any cool abilities like bending. If they didn't develop a freaking radio in the Avatar 'verse after 70 years + the combination of the elements, I'd be a little concerned.

2) MAKO. KORRA. GUH. I don't know what direction the creators are headed with this, but they've more than hinted at the relationship between the two characters. A lot of people are like, "Okay, that was kind of really quick to start a relationship in the series," and you know what? They're right. And it's a cause for worry. Not because I think the creators are slipping up and rushing into the relationship, but because they're most likely setting us up for a BIG slap in the face. Aang liked Katara from Day 1; he just never did anything about it until the end. Korra has a different approach. And I don't know how Mako will take it, or what Bolin's role will be in all this, but it's not going to be sunshine and roses--not with Mike and Bryan.

3) AMON. If he and his group are anti-benders, they must be trying to discover way to get rid of bending. Chi-blocking as Ty Lee did was temporary, so I could see them picking up on that. If they did discover a permanent way, it wouldn't be the same way as the lion-turtle method because Aang did that THROUGH bending. "In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves," said Sir Lion-Turtle. Still bending. I mean, I guess they -could- technically do it this way, if they were benders, but it'd be a little ironic.

With reasons and identity unknown, it's hard to say really what Amon's ultimate plan is. He clearly hates benders and we don't know why, so that's one thing we need to figure out. I could see Ozai being the man behind the mask...if he were still alive. But he'd be like 100 something, so I seriously doubt it's him. And I don't think Ozai had any kids while in prison. Azula kind of really loves firebending, so I doubt it's her either, plus she'd be as old as Katara and I don't think they'd lose tabs on Lady Crazy. We're either looking at a) new character, or b) old character with reason to hate bending.

Aaaand that's about all I've got to offer for now. Feels good to type so much about a show, it's been a while. ^^

I didn't even realize that. That could definitely mean something *speculates more*

Ive also noticed that it would seem that Amons henchmen are also throwing lightning around in some of the previews in edition to the lion turtle on the thugs car. Could this be a decendant Azula? A grandson maybe of Ozai wanting to avenge his Grandfather? Being a bender and starting an anti-bender revolution would be logical if the goal was to contain and controll the public, non-benders and benders alike, while retaining his power of bending and his henchmen. If benders are punished by having their bending taken away then who would be left to challenge them?

I think the question would be why a non-bending terrorist group would want to ( make the world without benders ) Just like the phoenix order, I think they want to take control of the world by having an advantage on the others ( normal people ) by ( I suppose ) having at their head a bender. That's the principle of power and control, I think we can compare it the same way Ozai tried to install his little empire, but this time, having the '' bending power'' at his side. I would'nt be surprise if that AMON masked man could be a powerfull bender.

PhantomFreak13

[63]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 5

shadowscott wrote:

So, I just realized they have two different intros. We did not see this on tv (at least I did not notice it) but check out the first minute or so on both. I kinda like the announcer. Reminds me of the way Iroh (I think), used to say previously on avatar...

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-101-full-episode.html

http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-102-a-leaf-in-the-wind-full-episode.html

O.o the short form of the opening is soooooo short! It's like a million times shorter than the short form of Avatar's opening. It's like three seconds long.

Oh, and BTDubbs, it's Roku who says "previously on Avatar..." Watch the beginning of The Avatar and the Fire Lord, where you hear that and then almost immediately afterward hear Roku tell Aang to meet him on his home island.

sara1015

[64]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 25

Did anyone else notice that Korra has a HORRIBLE airtime spot? I mean, come on! New episodes premiere Saturday mornings at 10?
    I feel like the show is beingsabotaged by Nick. How is it going to attract new viewers with that airtime? I seem to be the only one bothered by this among my real-life avatar fan friends. (Okay, I know we all watch it on tivo but still!)

Carrying on, I am not 100% sold yet. However, I will definitely watch every single episode. I think it'll take time to develop connections to the Korra cast like I did with the ATLA's.

I absolutely cannot wait to see grown up Aang in the spirit world! It looks so funny to see him (that's him, right?!) air bending as a grown up in the opening.

UnovaChampion

[65]Apr 16, 2012
    • level: 19
    At 11. Saturday mornings are probably one of the bests slot it can possibly get.

Nick really amped up on the Korra promotion too, so sabotage is all in your head.

superSokka

[66]Apr 16, 2012
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    AllieAllie wrote:

superSokka wrote:
    Star_Dreamer wrote:

I think the question would be why a non-bending terrorist group would want to ( make the world without benders ) Just like the phoenix order, I think they want to take control of the world by having an advantage on the others ( normal people ) by ( I suppose ) having at their head a bender. That's the principle of power and control, I think we can compare it the same way Ozai tried to install his little empire, but this time, having the '' bending power'' at his side. I would'nt be surprise if that AMON masked man could be a powerfull bender.
    I agree. I believe him to be a very powerful bender. Possibly with the ability to bend the energy with in

AllieAllie

[67]Apr 17, 2012
    • level: 22

Yeah, Saturday mornings is one of the most viewed timeslots on Nickelodeon.

edmasterchaos

[68]Apr 17, 2012
    • level: 41

And they got 4.9 million viewers in the premiere, that's almost Walking Dead ratings there, so 11 am is the perfect time it seems. We gotta deal with it.

Nerdnot

[69]Apr 18, 2012
    • level: 14
    edmasterchaos wrote:

And they got 4.9 million viewers in the premiere, that's almost Walking Dead ratings there, so 11 am is the perfect time it seems. We gotta deal with it.

probably would've been more if it hadn't been on ITunes for free already.

UnovaChampion

[70]Apr 18, 2012
    I thought it was 4.5?

Regardless, more than the premiere of the original series apparently, and also the most views ever besides the Avatar Season 3 finale.

MarcolapinMar

[71]Apr 18, 2012
    superSokka wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    AllieAllie wrote:

superSokka wrote:
    Star_Dreamer wrote:

I agree. I believe him to be a very powerful bender. Possibly with the ability to bend the energy with in

An energy bender, that would be interesting, but what would be the point to use that bending agaisnt enemies. Only if there is a reason to do it, because it doesnt make him more powerfull. It's only making his '' enemies '' at the same levels. I think there is more than '' energy bending '' The lion turtle symbols make sense as well. The one placed on the tugs car. Or maybe it's only a tool he is using, make that energy into something else, who knows. The thing is that he certainly wants to overthrown the governement and instaure his power.

ShagonsHeart

[72]Apr 18, 2012

Here's what I think we are likely/want to see in this series.

Mako/Korra shipping but with another love interest to keep this interesting. (Maybe Zuko's grandson)

Since Korra isn't all that great with the spirtural side of bending it may be a while before she can contact Aang. I'd say close to the end if not one of the last episodes of the season because the creators know it's what we want to see so it will be strung out.

The no show waterbender from the Fire Ferrets Hasuk (Not sure how that's spelled) will turn out to be one of the Equalist first victims.

While I love all these happy little family units it does worry me that there might be a death either in Tenzen's or Korra's (maybe even Katara) to escalate the danger. Aang woke up a bit care free until he saw his culture wiped out. And if something like that does happen we might see Korra in the Avatar state, possible scaring the non-bender of Benders even more.

The kids will be targeted but hoping to see some pint-size Air Bender but kicking.

We all want to know more about the old Gaang so hoping to see some flashbacks of them as Adults. The statue in front of the police station might have been an adult or teenage Togh.

I know Katara said Aang's time had passed and her brother and most of her friends were gone. This is just the fan-girl in me but she said MOST of her friends were gone implying there still may be someone still around who will make an appearance. Also, and I know I'm totally reading into this, but she referred to Aang as passed and the other gone. Gone as in dead or gone as in vanished and never seen again? A girl can dream can't she?

The group needs a non-bender maybe someone who was on the Equalist side until they saw just how far they were willing to go. And I'm betting on another girl maybe a bit more girly to conflict with Korra tomboyish-ness. That's my best guess.

We're bound to hear or see hints of the old Gaang but I'm hoping Sokka's lost Space Sword makes an appearance. I'm betting it will be found in either the comics or in the show to be used by a different character.

It's a little early to guess at Amon's identity. He's likely to be someone we know, related to another character we knew, or a new character that Korra meets, and maybe befriends, unmasked. It is most likely a boy but I'm not ruling out a girl because it would a great surprise if it was. I'm also not ruling out old old characters. Ozai is still an option and would be a good plot point. A, "If I can bend than no one will" kind of deal." The voice sounds younger but the mask might be distorting it so I'm not going by the voice. I'm also not ruling out a powerful bender trying to take out all the other benders making him the most powerful one on the world if he take out the Avatar. Also he might be closer than we think. He knew the Avatar was coming but wasn't expecting her until later like Tenzin originally planned it. Something to think about.

Like I said it's a little early to really guess I need to see him in action.

Those are my theories and I'm sure I'll be revising them soon. Wish it was Saturday already.

AllieAllie

[73]Apr 18, 2012
    • level: 22

ShagonsHeart wrote:

Mako/Korra shipping but with another love interest to keep this interesting. (Maybe Zuko's grandson)

Since Korra isn't all that great with the spirtural side of bending it may be a while before she can contact Aang. I'd say close to the end if not one of the last episodes of the season because the creators know it's what we want to see so it will be strung out.

The no show waterbender from the Fire Ferrets Hasuk (Not sure how that's spelled) will turn out to be one of the Equalist first victims.

While I love all these happy little family units it does worry me that there might be a death either in Tenzen's or Korra's (maybe even Katara) to escalate the danger. Aang woke up a bit care free until he saw his culture wiped out. And if something like that does happen we might see Korra in the Avatar state, possible scaring the non-bender of Benders even more.

I know Katara said Aang's time had passed and her brother and most of her friends were gone. This is just the fan-girl in me but she said MOST of her friends were gone implying there still may be someone still around who will make an appearance. Also, and I know I'm totally reading into this, but she referred to Aang as passed and the other gone. Gone as in dead or gone as in vanished and never seen again? A girl can dream can't she?

The group needs a non-bender maybe someone who was on the Equalist side until they saw just how far they were willing to go. And I'm betting on another girl maybe a bit more girly to conflict with Korra tomboyish-ness. That's my best guess.

Those are my theories and I'm sure I'll be revising them soon. Wish it was Saturday already.

Never thought about Zuko's grandson, though they didn't actually say that that was how the character would be related to Zuko. Still thats a good theory though. I'm thinking its more likely that Bolin could be the other love interest though.

Agree with that one, or they could stretch out the Avatar State happening into a later seeing.

I could see that happening, but hard to tell if the char will actually show up again though.

Doubt there will be a tragic death like that. Katara will probably die but its gonna be a natural death since the fortuneteller said she'd die after her fourth great grandkid was born.

I'm hoping thats what she meant, we probably wont see any of the main gang but maye some other characters like Mai will show up

I'm pretty sure that character will be Asami. She's a nonbender too so she could be both those characters

MarcolapinMar

[74]Apr 18, 2012
    AllieAllie wrote:

ShagonsHeart wrote:

Never thought about Zuko's grandson, though they didn't actually say that that was how the character would be related to Zuko. Still thats a good theory though. I'm thinking its more likely that Bolin could be the other love interest though.

Agree with that one, or they could stretch out the Avatar State happening into a later seeing.

I could see that happening, but hard to tell if the char will actually show up again though.

Doubt there will be a tragic death like that. Katara will probably die but its gonna be a natural death since the fortuneteller said she'd die after her fourth great grandkid was born.

I'm hoping thats what she meant, we probably wont see any of the main gang but maye some other characters like Mai will show up

I'm pretty sure that character will be Asami. She's a nonbender too so she could be both those characters

Ok, so, maybe we can place that in perspective. I doubt about the fact that they are going to introduce zuko's grandson, it's hard to tell how they are going to add different characters into the show, because everything right now is centered around one city. I guess, if we can talk about the fire nation, we could see the royal family, etc basically some characters and some consequences of Aang's acts from the first books only in their own nation. But, for now it's hard to tell and I must say, if there is a love triangle between zuko's grandson Korra and Mako, now I'm ***** up Both are firebenders and she is still that waterbender.

I hope not seeing Mai again. Anyways, if Pema is already pregnant, does it mean that karata's death is going to be in the next books ? Maybe with an heroic scene, that she will have to defend the land, etc * epic music * * *epic hairloops * * epic birth *

pokemonmonmon

[75]Apr 18, 2012

as far as energy bending goes, you guys need to remember that ONLY the avatar can do that and ONLY if they are pure if heart. aang, who was only 13 was almost consumed and he was the epitome of innocence in that show

pokemonmonmon

[76]Apr 18, 2012

ShagonsHeart wrote:

We all want to know more about the old Gaang so hoping to see some flashbacks of them as Adults. The statue in front of the police station might have been an adult or teenage Togh.

well considering the fact that aang met roku in season 1 i highly doubt theyll wait so long. i mean weve already seen him in the intro. with her hot temper, she might activate the avatar state sooner than aang and meet him. idk i just highly doubt ill be seeing him only in the season finale.

as far as the deaths go i agree. i mean if katara is the ONLY ONE from back then still alive then why? we know aang being in the iceberg affected him but why everyone else? it does make me a little curious that maybe at least ONE other person is alive. possibly toph? i just cant wait for this series to progress so we can find out exactly what happened in between part one and now

Nerdnot

[77]Apr 18, 2012
    • level: 14
    Toph is dead. I think that Zuko is still alive, or one of Kysohi warriors.

superSokka

[78]Apr 18, 2012
    Bolin ans Moko are brothers correct?

UnovaChampion

[79]Apr 18, 2012
    *Bolin and Mako

Yes, they are indeed brothers.

They live with old man Tozu in the attic of the Pro-Bending stadium.

kdrkickin

[80]Apr 19, 2012

Just saw the first episode and it looks pretty good. We'll see how the series turns out.