We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Season 4 pilot

mcepin3

[1]Oct 3, 2014
    • level: 17

OMG,what a garbage first episode of season 4 was. As soon as new idiotic character appeared,I almost went and deleted episode. Bringing more and more characters into this and it's last season with...what 13 episodes? Pure garbage. And this 3 year gap or however long it is....I don't have much hope for season 4.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kwando7

[2]Oct 3, 2014
    • level: 18

So Kuvira is obviously the villain, wish she wasn't.

What new characters are you referring to?

Edited on 10/03/2014 6:11am

mcepin3

[3]Oct 3, 2014
    • level: 17

At the moment only that idiotic prince is new character. Kuvira is also new-ish. I know she was in last episode of season 3 for few scenes..big whoop.

UnovaChampion

[4]Oct 3, 2014
    • level: 19
    Do you ever stop having horrible opinions mcepin3? Reserve your judgment until you've seen where this is going. From the sounds of it you're easily confused.

Both characters are relevant to the plotline of Book 4. Mako being on Wu's side and Bolin being on Kuvira's side should bring about some very interesting developments for the core group. Asami will also have her day in the limelight since her father is set to reappear at some point. If you're wondering about Korra since she popped up in the last few minutes, that will clearly get an explanation.

The time skip was perfectly necessary, especially with only 13 episodes. It would have been idiotic to jump right into the election of a new Earth Kingdom ruler along with Korra being magically healed within a month. While those things also helped them avoid the fallout of spirits in the world, people adapting to them over time was a given and there are far better storytelling routes to go with such limited amounts of episodes. Maybe if Korra was an anime in Japan it could dish out longer story arcs and have 40 episodes a year but it's a series on Nick, which they are regretting investing in due to their own carelessness but it worked out well for the rest of us. Well maybe not you.

I like the progression, it being the final book of the franchise and all it's nice to have the world edge at least a little bit further in its timeline and have Korra and Team Avatar entering adulthood. Hell, their age probably lines up with most Avatar fans who followed it from the start now.

Zuko's daughter will appear, Toph will appear, and even Katara isn't freaking dead yet. Be patient (Varrick and the Red Lotus are also plot points that are leading up to something in Book 4 as well I'm most certain)

RaizenYusuke

[5]Oct 3, 2014
    • level: 28

The episode did a good job at setting up the issues for the rest of the series. I prefer that for once that the series is showing us the fallout and consequences of the last arc in detail. The inequality issue got solved in 6 month time skip by electing a non bender president. The human and spirits learning to live together was ignored in the last book and glossed over in the 3 year time skip for this book. This book the fallout is still going on. Zaheer's actions destabilized the Earth Kingdom and fixing it in a short amount of time would have been unlikely.

Kuvira is shaping up to be our main villain and was introduced in at the end of book 3, so we knew she would be a character in book 4 to get more focus. The prince is annoying that's his purpose. The conflict with the Earth Kingdom has is it wants to go back to monarchy or new order. The prince being annoying, entitled, and drama king highlights how ineffective he would be as a ruler and shows why people in the Earth Kingdom don't want another king or queen (after the Earth Queen's actions caused the one great nation to be on the brink of poverty and forced them to live under her iron fist) and why Kuvira who is unifying the kingdom back under one rule, providing people food, water, or protection for bandits and thieves etc, but is doing it through force and making them all join her or else, is gaining so much support. This also shows the consequences of the Avatar being unable to do her job. Bolin joined her means he believes they're doing good. Tenzin and Lin clearly believe Kuvira has been doing a good job at re-uniting the Earth Kingdom (and unaware of her methods or possible take over) which gives us conflict of Bolin being on the wrong side and possibly against Mako who is now the prince's bodyguard. Korra of course is in a bad place. She's defined herself as the Avatar her whole life and she was unable to do her job, but seemingly other people stepped in to fill her role, playing on a fear that the world doesn't need the Avatar anymore.

The episode introduced all of this because it sets up the plot for the arc and possibly the final chapter of the whole Avatar saga. The premiere was a setup episode, but I don't think it makes it a bad episode. I also don't think the episode introduced too many new characters that the story will suffer for it. Kuvira is our villain (seemingly) and we already now the conflict way faster than we did in book 3, which took several episodes before we even knew Zaheer's group's name or their purpose.

Kwando7

[6]Oct 4, 2014
    • level: 18

looking forward to the varrick episode. Don't think the prince will be around for long the set up hopefully pays off. Interesting to see Bolin's Lava bending skills

BilltheCat

[7]Oct 17, 2014
    • level: 3

mcepin3 wrote:

OMG,what a garbage first episode of season 4 was. As soon as new idiotic character appeared,I almost went and deleted episode. Bringing more and more characters into this and it's last season with...what 13 episodes? Pure garbage. And this 3 year gap or however long it is....I don't have much hope for season 4.