We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Official Book One: Air Season Finale Discussion *Spoilers*

Kwando7

[21]Jun 23, 2012
    • level: 18

RaizenYusuke wrote:

I felt sorry for Asami in terms of her father completely losing it and going as far as attacking his daughter. I did not feel sorry for her as in losing Mako. He is Korra's headache now. I am not a fan of Korra and Mako either. Part of my problem was they felt to rushed and forced for me, because this series was planned to be a mini-series and when another season was ordered the writers kept their original mini-series plan intact for the first season, despite how some parts felt rushed like Korra and Mako's romance.

Mako's bending is impressive. He was able to channel lightning even with his body being manipulated by Amon. He even resisted blood bending for a minute. Bolin and Korra have not been as impressed with. Korra has some great bad assery moments, but I still haven't felt like she has surpassed Aang in any aspect yet, despite mastering 3 elements. I agree with the user who says Bolin should refine his earth bending. Maybe Korra can go back to refine some of her skills.

Smirked at Iroh thanking Aang for watching over him. It really reminds me how close Aang and Zuko became. Zuko's grandson holds the Avatar (Aang) with the upmost respect and it has transfered over to Korra. I still feel it was a quick fix toward the end. Amon get blown away and becomes so enraged that he water bends and freaks out and leaves seeing the error of his ways? We missed a few steps. Korra will hopefully have not mastered air bending or the Avatar State at this point. I hope next season we still see Korra training, because I do not like the fact that she could master both at the end of this season. She made a breakthrough on air bending, but that does not make her a master and mastering the Avatar State after just getting intune with her spiritual side? I didn't complain when Korra was able to use 3 elements as a kid, because mastering and using 3 elements are completely different. However, mastering air and the state and becoming a fully realized Avatar like this is too easy.

I agree since the avatar state is sppose to be a last resort. So instant use of it and becoming a master of it would greatly suck.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RaizenYusuke

[22]Jun 23, 2012
    • level: 28
    Seems I am the onl one disappointed with the finale. No one else thought the ending felt rushed?

AllieAllie

[23]Jun 23, 2012
    • level: 22

I did too. But I suppose that they got a second season order after season one wa done and by then it was too late to edit too much of the season.

MadameTamma

[24]Jun 23, 2012
    • level: 7

These are my nitpicks. When Tarlock uttered the words "He's my brother" I literally face palmed. That is a soap opera twist. I mean it's not bad, It could have been much worse and they at least found a way for it to add up I suppose but the moment Amon first entered this show we were all guessing who he really was. the speculation thread on this site has over 400 entries guessing, and that's what they threw out there. I was just expecting something a little more earth shattering.

Also Amon's fall from grace. He water bends in front of everyone...... Come on! He's smarter than that!

This season also has the same weakness that 'the last air bender' series finale struggled with. It tried to wrap everything up too quickly at the end. It was as if they built all this up and just remembered "Oh crap we gotta finish this all in less than an hour long special how are we going to make time for everything?" Just like at the end of 'the last air bender' they tried to wrap up all the little details with a few scenes but didn't really give each of them enough time to flow nicely and even ran out of time for all of them like touching on what happened to Zuko's mom and toph's relationship to her parents.

General Iroh (or as I'm now referring him as General Sexy bridges) is fantastic but he doesn't get enough time to establish any character other than bad ass. How did Tenzin's family get captured? and most of all it felt like Aang was just thrown in at the end, he gave a one sentence explanation to how this is possible and fixed everything up in the last 30 seconds of the show. And there wasn't even enough time to set up ANY idea for what's to come in the future. at the end of every 'Last Airbender' season We at least had some idea of what was to come whether it ended on a slightly triumphant note like the first season or on a cliff hanger like the second.

But those are all the nitpicks I have. I was still on the edge of my seat and I still loved and cheered the whole way threw as an ending to season one (Just and ending not the show on a whole) I give it a 7.5 out of 10

qtwanderer

[25]Jun 23, 2012
    • level: 27
    qtwanderer wrote:
    I personally think he severs their connection with...spirits ...I said it >_>

So was I right, do we count this as correct?..I want bragging rights, its been awhile since I had them.

It felt rushed towards the end and mostly seems like the writers didn't expect to get a second season. Apparently the Amon and Yakonne connection was no suprise to members on this board as everyone has been saying it since the 4th episode, so no real surprise there. Dissapointed in Mako's lightning though, it should have been able to knock him unconcious, he didn't even lose a hair, limb..bladder control, oh well.

I dislike the relationship aspect but I guess it settles MakoxKorra fans and not seeing (new) Bumi in action was meh. Interesting, I wonder what dictates how an avatar-spirit looks like, cause middle-aged Aang is serious, I would have liked to see him old or kid Aang again

Not the best show but I gave it fair shake so I can say it was alright altogether. It was so-so for lack of a better phrase.

yutg25

[26]Jun 23, 2012
    • level: 5

DiamondLights wrote:

OMG.

Did anyone else kind of expect it to be a little more epic?

Agreed very rushed It was kind of a let down in terms of battle action I was expecting Amon to take on the entire team Avatar. We've never seen anyone beat bloodbender except another blood bender. Here it seems your best chance is to sucker punch him.

The whole Tarlok had a secret older brother seems fishy to me. To me it seems as if the writers knew everyone thought Tarlok was Amon so they decided to give Tarlok an older brother as solution that would surprise the fans.

I don't know how to feel about this book cuz it seems to me like they've answered all of unanswered question this series raised

WHo is Amon? check Now they are both gone.

Korra-Mako check (and I was so hoping for a love triangle/square between Korra-Mako-Iroh-Asumi)

Asumi's loyalty don't get me wrong I like her on team Avatar but kind of like to have seen a Zuko-like struggle between family and whats right.

Kora is now air bender and full-pledge Avatar with Avatar state.

My question is where do we go from here...

I know there are a lot of unanswered question regarding the old team Avatar but I doubt they will tackle it here.

Edited on 06/23/2012 10:32pm

rickycal78

[27]Jun 23, 2012

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Seems I am the onl one disappointed with the finale. No one else thought the ending felt rushed?

No you aren't the only one. The ending seemed very Deus Ex Machina like. Aang shows up and fixes everything for her. I expected something like Aang teaching her to reconnect to the other elements through some other route like she how she started air bending. I also agree with whatever poster mentioned Amon making too many mistakes at the end. I mean he's outside in front of a huge crowd and he's going to blatantly waterbend? I do kind of wish the battle with Amon himself would have been a bit more epic. Maybe ATLA spoiled me a bit, but I was hoping for a bit more. It wasn't bad, just not as good as I was hoping.

I did like the part where Tarlokk blows them up though.

yutg25

[28]Jun 24, 2012
    • level: 5

rickycal78 wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:

No you aren't the only one. The ending seemed very Deus Ex Machina like. Aang shows up and fixes everything for her. I expected something like Aang teaching her to reconnect to the other elements through some other route like she how she started air bending. I also agree with whatever poster mentioned Amon making too many mistakes at the end. I mean he's outside in front of a huge crowd and he's going to blatantly waterbend? I do kind of wish the battle with Amon himself would have been a bit more epic. Maybe ATLA spoiled me a bit, but I was hoping for a bit more. It wasn't bad, just not as good as I was hoping.

Actually to me Amon didn't look totally conscious when that happened It look like he was drowning and subconsciously he activated his power to save himself so I don't really fault him for that part. I did hope for bigger fight like while he was on that water spout he would use his blood bending to turn the crowd into a puppet army to attack Korra or something like that.

Haha at least now AMon can really say I was burned (If he survived that is oh come on am I the only one thinking there is at least a small chance AMon survived that)

Edited on 06/23/2012 11:05pm

RaizenYusuke

[29]Jun 24, 2012
    rickycal78 wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:

I felt the same way about Aang's quick fix even though I loved seeing Aang finally talk to Korra face to face and seeing the other Avatars meet her for the first time. I can't believe I forgot to metion how much I loved Tarrolock killing his brother and himself to end their father's dark legacy for good.

VincentMagius

[30]Jun 24, 2012
    • level: 8
    The only problem I had was Korra getting the rest of her bending back so easily. I was expecting a journey of some kind next season to relearn the elements with the rest of the team refining their skills too.

As to Amon waterbending in front of everything. For me, it looked like an instinctive reaction. He has been a waterbender for 20-40 years. He gets knocked unconscious and lands in water. He woke up underwater and instinctively performed waterbending to save his own life. When he makes it to the surface, he realizes where he is and what it means, so makes a run for it.

rickycal78

[31]Jun 24, 2012

VincentMagius wrote:
    The only problem I had was Korra getting the rest of her bending back so easily. I was expecting a journey of some kind next season to relearn the elements with the rest of the team refining their skills too.

I was expecting the same thing. I partially blame the short season for that. Had they gone with a 20 some odd episode long season I think it would have allowed for Korra to lose her bending like that and have Aang or someone else teach her how to reconnect with each element. It would have also allowed for a slower, more in depth reveal of the villains and more time for character growth. That's one thing I think has been lacking in LOK. Sure there's character growth there, but it seems too fast and somewhat glossed over compared to TLA.

Terragrl

[32]Jun 24, 2012
    • level: 3

So yeah, if only they'd been able to make it a full length series from the beginning. Those 6-9 episodes could've made a huge difference...

readapost

[33]Jun 24, 2012
    • level: 14
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    I did as well I just thought there was some good parts.

RaizenYusuke

[34]Jun 24, 2012

Terragrl wrote:

So yeah, if only they'd been able to make it a full length series from the beginning. Those 6-9 episodes could've made a huge difference...

Oh they have made a huge difference.

readapost wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    I did as well I just thought there was some good parts.
    I still liked it, but it was just I was expecting more from it. Even one more episode would have helped more.

Kwando7

[35]Jun 24, 2012

I suppose the good thing that can come from the ending being rushed is that there will be a whole new plot for the next book.

edmasterchaos

[36]Jun 24, 2012
    • level: 41

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Final scenes were fast as all heck, Iroh's voice Reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally didn't fit it (Dante! Learn to voice act!), Korra and Tarrlok both saying that Tarrlok's origin story was sad had to be some of the most grating things to hear, Korra fixing other's bending was a huge stretch and shipping is atrocious.

Everything else... amazing.

The WWI combat, plastic surgery and planes building up answers for future questions, the fighting, Iroh, Amon's story (oh please, who didn't see it coming? Aang's flashback had to actually mean something) the difference between Amon and Tarrlok, ASAMI VERSUS HER FATHER, how Korra developed by the end, that suicidal thought moment near the end, Aang, Bolin, Mako's lightningbending, the fact that Korra unlocked the seventh chakra, spiritbending ending that made sense and stuff i'm forgetting.

It was all wonderful, epic, and brought me to tears at a point! (Asami's fight with Sato, the end of it really did it for me.)

BannikX

[37]Jun 24, 2012
    • level: 3
    Honestly, Aang had to fix it for her. Energybending was the easiest way to repair the damage to Korra's bending and simultaneously give her the tools to repair what Amon broke. If all she needed was a little spirit quest to fix herself, but everyone else was left screwed, I would've been bored to tears. I agree that the whole "he is my brother" thing is very soap opera, and wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but whatever. It's done, and I think it was pretty cool to watch. Also, I think if I hadn't seen anyone suggest it, I would've been surprised, so there's that. Plus, a lot of things that bugged you guys can be saved for next season if they feel like it. We can explore Iroh, Bumi, Asami's new life, the relationship between Korra and Mako and watching Korra master airbending, which is still the only bending style we've never really seen someone learn to do. If I had had to spend all of next season watching Korra RELEARN three types of bending? Snooze, and y'all know it. It would have been exactly like Last Airbender, and if I wanted to watch that....well, I'd just watch that.

Kwando7

[38]Jun 24, 2012

edmasterchaos wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Final scenes were fast as all heck, Iroh's voice Reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally didn't fit it (Dante! Learn to voice act!), Korra and Tarrlok both saying that Tarrlok's origin story was sad had to be some of the most grating things to hear, Korra fixing other's bending was a huge stretch and shipping is atrocious.

The WWI combat, plastic surgery and planes building up answers for future questions, the fighting, Iroh, Amon's story (oh please, who didn't see it coming? Aang's flashback had to actually mean something) the difference between Amon and Tarrlok, ASAMI VERSUS HER FATHER, how Korra developed by the end, that suicidal thought moment near the end, Aang, Bolin, Mako's lightningbending, the fact that Korra unlocked the seventh chakra, spiritbending ending that made sense and stuff i'm forgetting.

It was all wonderful, epic, and brought me to tears at a point! (Asami's fight with Sato, the end of it really did it for me.)

Actually Dante is apparently 30 and that's how he really sounds. I think it would have been poetic if Korra who had mastered three of the elements at the start thenby the end wasonly able toAirbend. It would have been Aang's journey reversed.

I doubt they would have made Korrare-learn all the elements since she still knows how to bend she just can't.

AllieAllie

[39]Jun 24, 2012
    • level: 22

Kwando7 wrote:

edmasterchaos wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:

Actually Dante is apparently 30 and that's how he really sounds. I think it would have been poetic if Korra who had mastered three of the elements at the start thenby the end wasonly able toAirbend. It would have been Aang's journey reversed.

I doubt they would have made Korrare-learn all the elements since she still knows how to bend she just can't.

i feel like the creators would have done something like that if they'd known at the time that they were getting a season 2. They only found out when they were mostly done with s1, but if not I bet they would have made is so that she was only be able to airbend and then use the rest season to make her relearn the elements all over again. Buut like some other people said that would have been reusing the same plot that was in TLA and would've been boring.

RaizenYusuke

[40]Jun 24, 2012

I agree re-learning bending would be the same as the original. However, I do not think that is what would have happened if Korra had not got her bending restored. A season where Korra is powerless would have forced her to examine herself and find out who she is besides Korra the bender or Korra the Avatar. She is not Aang. Aang wanted to be normal. Korra wants to be the Avatar, she wants to be special. That right there makes it different from Aang's story right there.Buckle in for a long post lol.

As ed and other have suggested that Korra seemed suicidal after she lost her other 3 elements. The journey of seeing Korra re-learn the 3 elements would be bit of a re-hash if all she had to do was find masters and learn forms and stuff. Korra has the physical side of bending down she excelled at it. There would have been no re-learn everything here. Korra always ignored the spiritual side. If the writers knew they had would get a second season instead of a min-series I believe they would have gone down this road. Korra discovering the spiritual side of bending, beyond learning forms or even talking to spirit, but studying how people of the past viewed it, culture or something about herself helped her connect with the elements on a spiritual level helped her undo the damage or having a spiritual connection would allow Katara or other healers to use re-connect her to elements physically by using the spiritual link as a basis or whatever.

It may have been similar to Aang in some points, but this series will be similar to the original in some aspects. Korra can't be the Avatar and stay in Republic City for a long running series, which it seems Nick is hoping to turn this into. She is eventually going to have travel and help people, which is similar to Aang, but necessary part because she is the Avatar and her duty is the world at large. Stories being limited to Republic City are going to get old. On the surface the entire series can be called the same as A: TLA until you go into it and see it is different. Korra having to work to regain her connection to water, earth, and fire would be similar to Aang learning those 3 elements, but with cleaver writing and more of a view on spiritual side would make it compelling to all of us and not be Aang's journey 2.0.

Now Korra being a fully realized Avatar sounds boring to me. Korra just learned to use air, she shouldn't have mastered it.She should not have masteredthe State because Aang imparted his knowledge to her. It is cheap and makes Korra a weaker Avatar than Aang. Aang had help, but he mastered the elements his way and it was long and hard. Korra mastered the other 3, but air and the state being handed to her thanks to Aang. It works for a mini-series, but for a long series it is like Aang not only redeemed Roku's past in life, butalso did Korra's job for her as well in death. Roku didn't do Aang's job for him. Yes Korra physically defeated Amon and exposed him to the world and learned air on her own, but mastering air (because using and mastering are different) and the State because Aang taught her energy bending does take away from her Avatar training. I am fine with learning energy bending from Aang as he learned it from a lion turtle, but State after she just got intune with her spirit side would be handed to her, which is or seems to be the most diffiulct part of Avatar journey. I am not keen on theidea of the second seasonhaving Korra be a fully realized Avatar just yet, even if we have a timeskip.

Korrahasn't found herself yet. Her depression at lost the other 3 elements (while having air making her bender) shows us she views herself as only the Avatar, whichisreally sad. Her next journey should be finding out who Korra is outside of being the Avatar. They can still be donethough. I think the writers will follow that up.Sorry for the long rant.I felt i needed to explain how Korra being powerless and having to work torestore her connection to the elements could be different from Aang's quest tomastering them.