We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Lightning Bending

ddendong116

[1]Jun 28, 2012
    • level: 12

this post makes me angry. I just rewatched E209 of ALTA (Bitter Work) where Iroh clearly states

:

(From Avatarspirit.net transcript)

Iroh: Lightning is a pure expression of firebending, without aggression. It is not fueled by rage or emotion the way other firebending is. Some call lightning the cold-blooded fire. (Iroh takes the tea kettle off the fire and pours it into another pot. He then begins to pour two cups.) It is precise and deadly, like Azula. To perform the technique requires peace of mind.

What has happened that allows =just any firebender to use lightning bending? (large image)

***SPOILER***

If you want to argue that it's the lack of spirituality in the world due to the advances in technology, than wouldn't this ability be lost, not made more accessible?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RaizenYusuke

[2]Jun 28, 2012
    • level: 28
    I have no idea,but I am pretty sure somone will ask the creators soon, since it seems to be a popular question. My lame answer is that lightning became easier to do if Zuko's infulence on the Fire Nation allowed them to lose their hate and or agression toward the art and it made it easier to learn lightning and it became more mainstream. I know there are holes in that. It is realy all I have.

qtwanderer

[3]Jun 28, 2012
    • level: 27
    Asked this multiple times, but now my main question is: Lightning weaker in some sense because alot of people can perform it? Are they performing it right?

Cause Amon should've been fried with that hit in the season finale. Iroh states how dangerous the technique is on the target. Even with Iroh's redirection technique it was dangerous.

I think the creators were more focused on showcasing the technique and the industrial side of this series that they forgot (like most do) what was already stated and demonstrated with the last series.

jag111888

[4]Jun 29, 2012
    • level: 18
    You have to look at how people are lightning bending. Azula would send a single, precise shot straight to the heart. New benders are just spraying lightning all over the place, so it's doing less damage.

edmasterchaos

[5]Jun 29, 2012
    • level: 41

Zolt seemed to be fairly strong (not Azula or Ozai strong, but strong) while everyone else seemed to be really weak.

There's also the chance that being in the city, where electricity is all around them, just allows them to gather and redirect lightning, not produce it.

teenj12

[6]Jul 5, 2012
    • level: 26
    Guys, I don't think skills like Lightning bending are too hard to master anymore. After all these years, its probably become widespread to do certain things now. Like metalbending.

Brandondperkins

[7]Dec 26, 2012
    • level: 1

I agree with teenj it's more that lightning bending is more widespread than it was on the previous avatar.

jegolas1973

[8]Feb 18, 2013
    • level: 22

So far, I know of only five firebenders in either Avatar series that have used lightning bending: Iroh I, Ozai, Zuko, Azula, Zolt.

Nerdnot

[9]Feb 25, 2013
    • level: 14

jegolas1973 wrote:

So far, I know of only five firebenders in either Avatar series that have used lightning bending: Iroh I, Ozai, Zuko, Azula, Zolt.

Mako used it with a bunch of other people at the power plant.

When did Zuko used it? He redirected it yes, but I'm not sure that counts. If that counts then Aang gets credit too.

Edited on 02/25/2013 6:52am

jegolas1973

[10]Mar 1, 2013
    • level: 22

Nerdnot wrote:

jegolas1973 wrote:

Mako used it with a bunch of other people at the power plant

When did Zuko used it? He redirected it yes, but I'm not sure that counts. If that counts then Aang gets credit too.

You make a good point here, especially about Mako and the other firebenders at the power plant. As for Zuko, I guess I can't really count him since he's only been seen redirecting lightning.