We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Is there someone from this universe who DIDN'T lose a parent to a firebender?

DoctorWeeTodd

[1]May 19, 2012
    • level: 3

The first few times, this was explained in a character's backstory it was okay. But now it's gotten tiring, especially 70+ years after the war, I thought the Fire Nation were no longer the bad guys.

Come on now, can't there be someone who had somebody close murdered by some other type of bender? Hopefully all these orphan stories will be building up to something poignant.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AllieAllie

[2]May 19, 2012
    • level: 22

This has been discussed in other topics too, most of us think there has to be some kind of significance to all of their parents being killed by firebenders. Maybe its an important theme that will be revealed in later episodes. I dont think they're trying to keep painting firebenders as the bad guys though. Has to be more than that

UnovaChampion

[3]May 19, 2012
    • level: 19
    Don't be ridiculous, only firebenders are murderers.

Kwando7

[4]May 19, 2012
    • level: 18

Maybe it was all the same person or gang (the Agni Kai Triad) on the other hand Amon is probably lying and was playing onto the fire nation war thing to gain support (an interesting theory I read).

RaizenYusuke

[5]May 19, 2012
    • level: 28
    Maybe the next story about a dead loved one will be because of a water bender or earth bender. Asami's mom being killed by a fire bender was tiring for me as well. But maybe they just used fire bender to try and add some drama to Mako and Asami's relationship, since he is a fire bender.

_Amibrosia

[6]May 21, 2012
    • level: 5
    Vilains = Benders Good Side = Humans

Kwando7

[7]May 21, 2012
    • level: 18

_Amibrosia wrote:
    Vilains = Benders Good Side = Humans

So benders aren't human? Racist! and you call yourself Amon, Amon would be ashamed. A more correct way to map it out would be

Benders = Villains

Non Benders = Good

Benders who had their bending taken away = Recovering Bad guys who are now good.

I wonder if we will see a bender who had their parents killed by non benders.....who are from the fire nation..... :S

_Amibrosia

[8]May 26, 2012
    • level: 5
    I meant by humans normal being, not benders...

jegolas1973

[9]Jun 28, 2012

We know that Amon did not lose his family to a firebender. His real name is Noatok. He is a waterbender from the Northern Water Tribe. He is the son of Yakone. His brother is Tarrlok. His real motive behind the Equalist movement was not equality but vengeance.

Edited on 06/29/2012 5:00pm
    Edited 6 total times.

AllieAllie

[10]Jun 28, 2012

Even if Amon's story is fake, its still pretty coincidental that Mako and Asami's parents were killed by firebenders. Plus you have to wonder why Amon though to use that story himself. Maybe parents being killed by firebenders is pretty common?

RaizenYusuke

[11]Jun 28, 2012
    Fire Nation did start war that lasted 100 years, all but wipped out the Air Nomads, destroyed much of the Water Tribes, and attempted to kill everyone in the Earth Kingdom, so it is easy to demonize them. I have no knowledgeon the comics, so I could be very wrong about this, but just because Zuko became Firelord doe not mean tere were not more than a few soldiers who rebelled and tried to keep the war going or take more land. Fire benders could still very much be victims of Sozin's war, even after 70 years since it ended.

Nerdnot

[12]Jun 28, 2012
    • level: 14
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Fire Nation did start war that lasted 100 years, all but wipped out the Air Nomads, destroyed much of the Water Tribes, and attempted to kill everyone in the Earth Kingdom, so it is easy to demonize them. I have no knowledgeon the comics, so I could be very wrong about this, but just because Zuko became Firelord doe not mean tere were not more than a few soldiers who rebelled and tried to keep the war going or take more land. Fire benders could still very much be victims of Sozin's war, even after 70 years since it ended.
    Why haven't you read the books? And Yes a "few" people rebelled about it, but not for those reasons.

jegolas1973

[13]Jun 29, 2012

AllieAllie wrote:

Even if Amon's story is fake, its still pretty coincidental that Mako and Asami's parents were killed by firebenders. Plus you have to wonder why Amon though to use that story himself. Maybe parents being killed by firebenders is pretty common?

I was thinking he may have used their stories, especially Mako's story, for his line in telling his story behind his quest for equality. As we now know, his story is not true and his real motive was vengeance.

Edited on 06/29/2012 11:27am

RaizenYusuke

[14]Jun 29, 2012
    Nerdnot wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Why haven't you read the books? And Yes a "few" people rebelled about it, but not for those reasons.
    I haven't bought them. Not even sure where to buy them.

Nerdnot

[15]Jun 29, 2012
    • level: 14
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Nerdnot wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    I haven't bought them. Not even sure where to buy them.
    Don't have to buy them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UkZft9ZV4&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_142594

RaizenYusuke

[16]Jun 30, 2012
    Thanks.

MsOrange1

[17]Mar 12, 2014
    • level: 7

Yeah, they could get a bit more creative when parents and other family members get killed.