We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Is air bending out of the danger zone yet?

RaizenYusuke

[1]Jun 28, 2012
    • level: 28

Do you guys think the line ofAir Nomads/air bendingwill continue into future generations realistically speaking, since the whole bending gift seems to be lottery? Aang only had one air bender kid. Who is to say all Tenzin's kids will have air benders as kids. Can Kya and Bumi's children (if they have any) be born with the air bending?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kwando7

[2]Jun 28, 2012
    • level: 18

My first thought is that it all comes down to luck if any of Tenzin's have children of their own then there would be a chance of them either being able to bend (depending on where Pema is and if any of her relatives could bend) air or water or not to be able to bend at all. I guess the same can be said for Bumi and Kya.

However from what we've seen I'm guessing Airbenders pass the gift along like brown hair. We hadn't seen any none benders in Aang's flashback. So maybe all of Tenzin's kid's kidswill be benders. If they do and their numbers explode they could have a future series character make a comment about it.

The second is just speculation so thefirst thought is more likely

Edited on 06/28/2012 7:36pm

edmasterchaos

[3]Jun 28, 2012
    • level: 41

I think it's pretty safe now.

Remember, spiritualism is what made it so every air nomad was an airbender, and Aang/Tenzin made sure that there was a very spiritual location filled with acolytes to the ways of the airbenders, so i think Tenzin's kids will have airbenders for sure, and once that generation breeds there should be enough to really make a population grow.

qtwanderer

[4]Jun 28, 2012
    • level: 27
    I'm still holding onto the fictional fact that there are some airbenders somewhere..you would think air nomads were looking for Aang after they learned he ran away.

But in actuality, I think its safe at the rate its going. Three out of four of them are good if genetics is concerned. It might be possible for Tenzin's other siblings to have airbender kids too but thats more unlikely.

RaizenYusuke

[5]Jun 28, 2012
    I am wondering how much genetics and spiritualuty play a part in determining benders. I keep going back to Aang and Katara union produced one water bender, a non bender, and a air bender. Are all bender in Kya's line going to be water benders or could an air bender get thrown into the mix because she has some Aang in her? Will all benders in Tenzin's line all going to be air benders or is there a chance for a water bender in the mix? Bumi's line could give either air or water right. Both Katara's parents were non-benders and had a water bender, so we know two non-bender can have a bender and vice-versa. Tenzin's line all going to e air benders because he was an air bender and married a non bender or because they are spirtual? Yeah I just realized I put too much thought into this....

Kwando7

[6]Jun 29, 2012

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    I am wondering how much genetics and spiritualuty play a part in determining benders. I keep going back to Aang and Katara union produced one water bender, a non bender, and a air bender. Are all bender in Kya's line going to be water benders or could an air bender get thrown into the mix because she has some Aang in her? Will all benders in Tenzin's line all going to be air benders or is there a chance for a water bender in the mix? Bumi's line could give either air or water right. Both Katara's parents were non-benders and had a water bender, so we know two non-bender can have a bender and vice-versa. Tenzin's line all going to e air benders because he was an air bender and married a non bender or because they are spirtual? Yeah I just realized I put too much thought into this....

I don't think spirituality has too much involvment maybe the writters can expand of the nature of the show

RaizenYusuke

[7]Jun 29, 2012

I hope so. I am interested in bending elements works. It seems to be genetic on some level because unless people marry outside of their nationalities any benders born into their family have their native element. Chi and spiritual elements play a critical part to it as well. I assumed chi is why the Avatar can bend all four elements and why no matter what his or her descendants can never inherit this ability to bend more than one element. It is fun to think about.

Kwando7

[8]Jun 30, 2012

It sorta makes you wonder if an Avatarcould pass on the ability to benda differentelements insted of their natural one. Like if Korra had a kid who could only air bend. I think that would be interesting

shadowscott

[9]Jun 30, 2012
    • level: 23
    Kwando7 wrote:

It sorta makes you wonder if an Avatarcould pass on the ability to benda differentelements insted of their natural one. Like if Korra had a kid who could only air bend. I think that would be interesting

I don't think it works that way. I'm pretty sure it's the natural element that they are born with that they pass on. But I could be wrong.

That also brings up the question: is the avatar born with the ability to bend all elements and just has to learn the other three? Or does the ability just come as they get older? Like, Korra's natural element is water, but she was bending all of them @ a very young age.

Kwando7

[10]Jun 30, 2012

shadowscott wrote:
    Kwando7 wrote:

I don't think it works that way. I'm pretty sure it's the natural element that they are born with that they pass on. But I could be wrong. That also brings up the question: is the avatar born with the ability to bend all elements and just has to learn the other three? Or does the ability just come as they get older? Like, Korra's natural element is water, but she was bending all of them @ a very young age.

Maybe we should rename the phrase"natural element" into "cycle element" cause when you look at it the avatar is naturally able to bend all the elements

RaizenYusuke

[11]Jun 30, 2012

I think you guys mean native element. If Korra had a kid who could air bend without the father being from the air people it would be interesting. It would mean that as long as the Avatar exist the four elements can continue to exist in the world and if another genocide happens the element would exist. I don't think the creators had that in mind, but it would be an interesting way for the Avatar to maintain balance.

Kwando7

[12]Jun 30, 2012

RaizenYusuke wrote:

I think you guys mean native element. If Korra had a kid who could air bend without the father being from the air people it would be interesting. It would mean that as long as the Avatar exist the four elements can continue to exist in the world and if another genocide happens the element would exist. I don't think the creators had that in mind, but it would be an interesting way for the Avatar to maintain balance.

THATS THE WORD I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!

teenj12

[13]Jul 5, 2012
    • level: 26
    Its actually been confirmed that any offspring of an Avatar can only have either what their mother has or their father.

What I mean is, Aang was an Airbender by birth, Katara a waterbender. Their children would only come out an Airbender, waterbender, or a non-bender. So there's no way Korra can have an airbender child without an airbender baby daddy .

I like to think that by the time Tenin's kids have kids, the population will slowly build.