We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

If there's one thing about this show that kind of bugs Me.

Thenumber1yoshi

[1]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 1

Its the fact that most of the fights we've seen usually has someone overpowering someone else in order to win. One thing I liked about the old series was that during the battles the protagonists and antagonists won through skill or trickery, not outright being powerhouses overpowering opponents to win battles, as that rarely ever happened but it seems to be the case with this show, which is also an issue I had with shows like Code Lyoko where the villain was a powerhouse on a completely unfair level than the heroes (an issue I've also had with most Japanese anime as well), which was hardly ever the case in Avatar the Last Airbenderwhich was one reason I enjoyed the first series and liked the fights so much but seems to be more or less how the fights between the protagonists and antagonists in this sequel series play out is through outright overpowering each other in fights (yeah I guess there are some fights with skill but there are so few of them).

Edited on 06/09/2012 1:06pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Zetsuei_8823

[2]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 24
    ATLA, I believe, was more predominant in using trickery because Aang was still a kid, and not used to fighting. Heck, most were just kids. This time around though, the main protagonist(s) are older, even if just a bit, and have had time to practice and hone their skill. Aang was 12, and a monk. He's probably never fought before being encased in ice. Katara and Sokka have probably never fought before their adventure either. Sokka might have had a little practice, but not too much.

Korra trained a lot, and had an extra 5 years to hone 3 of the elements, and has obviously trained plenty. Mako and Bolin were orphans, and probably had to fight to survive. Not to mention they're pro-benders, so they've obviously been in fights.

ATLA used more trickery, LoK has more skill.

Make any sense? Sort of? It might not quell your "I liked how ATLA handled fights" mentality, but hopefully I brought a sliver of light onto what might be the case this time around. Personally, I hold my breath to see what might happen next in these fights.

qtwanderer

[3]Jun 10, 2012
    • level: 27
    ^That right there ...pretty much summed up any questions, fight-comparitives and answers I had. Thanks

Kwando7

[4]Jun 10, 2012
    • level: 18

I don't know there were several times when the characters in theoriginal series just plain beat the tar out of the enemies

One thing that bugs me is how much stuff we don't know that went on during the time skip. I mean Yakone was a known threat but you can't tell me Aang had been sitting around sipping latte's for 70 years there had to be some other stuff going on

Edited on 06/10/2012 5:27am

UnovaChampion

[5]Jun 10, 2012
    • level: 19
    We don't need to know every little insignificant bout that Aang had. Yakone was explained because of the relation to what was going on with Tarlokk (and likely Amon)

Aang ended the Hundred Year War, there was most likely an era of peace with little to no threats. He created the United Republic and had 3 children with Katara. We know enough.

Kwando7

[6]Jun 10, 2012

UnovaChampion wrote:
    We don't need to know every little insignificant bout that Aang had. Yakone was explained because of the relation to what was going on with Tarlokk (and likely Amon) Aang ended the Hundred Year War, there was most likely an era of peace with little to no threats. He created the United Republic and had 3 children with Katara. We know enough.

Yeahyour rightbut I want to know more

rickycal78

[7]Jun 11, 2012
    • level: 7

I hope this isn't seen as off topic since it's not related to the OP's actual post, but it's a few things about the show that kind of bug me. (Not in a way that makes me dislike the show though)

Metal Benders. Ok, so as we all know, metal benders are earth benders that have learned to bend metal. The problem I have is that they very rarely seem to bend earth itself at all. It's as if they've focused overly much on the metal bending aspect of their abilities. I think I saw Lin do a slight bit of actual earth bending in the episode where they discover that Hiroshi is an Equalist, but that's it. We saw Toph continue to bend both metal and actual earth pretty regularly after she gained the ability to metal bend. Why would these earth benders not do the same? During the battle with Hiroshi and his robots you clearly see that the floor is still made of earth not platinum like the wall, and that could have been used to great advantage in that fight considering how many earth/metal benders went down there, but it's never done.

Earth benders in general. It doesn't really bug me too much, but in the original series you see earth benders commonly go without footwear, yet in LOK they are almost always wearing shoes. Yes I know Lin is an exception since she regularly makes the metal around her foot slide back so she can do her radar stomp.

Korra. For a water tribe girl who has supposedly mastered her native element along with earth and fire she sure seems to do an awful lot of fire bending when she fights (non tournament). You'd think that Katara at least would have taught her to keep some kind of water pouch around the way she did so she'd always have water to bend with. Heck you'd think Aang would have learned that as well so he always has plenty of options open when it comes to his bending needs.

Just my .02. I still enjoy the show, those are just things that kind of stick out to me.

Zetsuei_8823

[8]Jun 11, 2012

rickycal78 wrote:
    Metal Benders. Ok, so as we all know, metal benders are earth benders that have learned to bend metal. The problem I have is that they very rarely seem to bend earth itself at all. It's as if they've focused overly much on the metal bending aspect of their abilities. I think I saw Lin do a slight bit of actual earth bending in the episode where they discover that Hiroshi is an Equalist, but that's it. We saw Toph continue to bend both metal and actual earth pretty regularly after she gained the ability to metal bend. Why would these earth benders not do the same? During the battle with Hiroshi and his robots you clearly see that the floor is still made of earth not platinum like the wall, and that could have been used to great advantage in that fight considering how many earth/metal benders went down there, but it's never done.

They are a Metalbending Police Force. Also, look around: there's a city! They have their metal ready to go on their backs and bend, and not cause too much damage by using the ground. If they used Earth to capture criminals, that would destroy roads for hours until someone goes to clean it up. I'm guessing there's also sewage and water systems down below, and Earthbending might disrupt that. I wasn't paying attention to the floor during the battle with Hiroshi though. I just got that the room was platinum. I'm not really sure what you mean here.

rickycal78 wrote:
    Earth benders in general. It doesn't really bug me too much, but in the original series you see earth benders commonly go without footwear, yet in LOK they are almost always wearing shoes. Yes I know Lin is an exception since she regularly makes the metal around her foot slide back so she can do her radar stomp.

I haven't really seen too many Earthbenders to have much to say about this. Lin and the Police Force can remove the bottom of their "shoes" to bend, but if they can bend with them on, then what's the point? Maybe Earthbenders then don't really care much for "feeling" the Earth when they bend. Lin does, because her mother taught her to feel her surroundings. I feel that civilization has gone far in last 100 years where walking around barefoot isn't really necessary.

rickycal78 wrote:
    Korra. For a water tribe girl who has supposedly mastered her native element along with earth and fire she sure seems to do an awful lot of fire bending when she fights (non tournament). You'd think that Katara at least would have taught her to keep some kind of water pouch around the way she did so she'd always have water to bend with. Heck you'd think Aang would have learned that as well so he always has plenty of options open when it comes to his bending needs.

I also had this question before, but then I answered it myself: Fire is much more readily available than water or earth is, since you can just make fire shoot out of your fist without needing an external source. What's the point in carrying a water-pouch with you if you can just use another element that doesn't make you carry it around? Even if you did carry it around, you're limited to how much you can do, since you can only use that, say, gallon of water. Earth is also available, and she uses that. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't really carry water around with me if I could just Firebend.

In 'When Extremes Meet', she uses Earth and Water, because it's there. In Out of the Past, she also uses water, because it's everywhere. So I wouldn't say she disregards it, she just uses what's readily available.

Edited on 06/11/2012 3:37pm

rickycal78

[9]Jun 11, 2012
    • level: 7

Zetsuei_8823 wrote:

rickycal78 wrote:

They are a Metalbending Police Force. Also, look around: there's a city! They have their metal ready to go on their backs and bend, and not cause too much damage by using the ground. If they used Earth to capture criminals, that would destroy roads for hours until someone goes to clean it up. I'm guessing there's also sewage and water systems down below, and Earthbending might disrupt that. I wasn't paying attention to the floor during the battle with Hiroshi though. I just got that the room was platinum. I'm not really sure what you mean here.

If you watch you'll see Lin bend the earth in the floor to get her up to one of the robot's heads. You also see Bolin bend the earth in the floor during their escape from the robots. They could easily have swallowed up the robots up to their heads in the floor like you've seen other earth benders do to people and objects in the TLA. Or used the earth in the floor to put up stone walls to block attacks and so forth. I do see what you mean about not earth bending in the city though.

Zetsuei_8823 wrote:

rickycal78 wrote:

I haven't really seen too many Earthbenders to have much to say about this. Lin and the Police Force can remove the bottom of their "shoes" to bend, but if they can bend with them on, then what's the point? Maybe Earthbenders then don't really care much for "feeling" the Earth when they bend. Lin does, because her mother taught her to feel her surroundings. I feel that civilization has gone far in last 100 years where walking around barefoot isn't really necessary.

Well they haven't shown a whole lot of earth benders, but Bolin, and the Triple Threat Triad guy that Korra smacks down in the first episode are examples. It's not something that's really bugged me much, just something I noticed.

Zetsuei_8823 wrote:

rickycal78 wrote:

I also had this question before, but then I answered it myself: Fire is much more readily available than water or earth is, since you can just make fire shoot out of your fist without needing an external source. What's the point in carrying a water-pouch with you if you can just use another element that doesn't make you carry it around? Even if you did carry it around, you're limited to how much you can do, since you can only use that, say, gallon of water. Earth is also available, and she uses that. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't really carry water around with me if I could just Firebend.

In 'When Extremes Meet', she uses Earth and Water, because it's there. In Out of the Past, she also uses water, because it's everywhere. So I wouldn't say she disregards it, she just uses what's readily available.

Again, I see your point, but Katara could do quite a bit with just that pouch of water when she needed to. Granted she didn't have any other options, but I would think having some water handy like that in a pinch would be pretty damned useful. I do get that she's just using what's available, it just seemed to me like she did an awful lot of firebending for someone who has more options, or could easily have more options.

Zetsuei_8823

[10]Jun 11, 2012

For the sake of not having a giant reply... ;3

I guess they'll use earthbending when necessary [especially Bolin since he can't bend metal]. Bolin does put up an earth-shield, but that doesn't do much for him as the chi-blocker simply jumped over it...

I get what you mean. Lin can remove her shoes at will and feel the Earth, but as I said, it's probably because she's more attuned to the earth than other benders are then. I'm still thinking it has to do with footwear becoming more common when roaming city streets. I'm sure that if you came across a village of earthbenders, most might be barefoot.

Well, Katara is different, as you pointed out; she can ONLY bend water, whereas Korra can bend all of them. She does use a bit of water and earthbending, but when it comes to fights, she firebends more. I see it's more predominant when fighting hand-to-hand, because firebending in hand-to-hand combat seems more doable than water or earth. :L
    Also, Katara was travelling with [basically] a wanted person. They were being hunted by the Fire Nation, there was bound to be loads of encounters with enemies, hence, the water becoming necessary. Korra, technically, isn't being hunted. Or at least, wasn't at first.
    I think it's fine how it is. It may seems she firebends a lot, but she does use the other two as well, if they're available.

Edited on 06/11/2012 4:59pm

Kwando7

[11]Jun 11, 2012

I was wondering why didn't katara teach Korra how to take water from the air. Being more experieced that move must have become much more powerful and it would be useful in areas that had little water

qtwanderer

[12]Jun 11, 2012
    We still haven't see all of Korra's ability with water though that would be handy. Maybe its an advanced technique like metalbending was (is?). Can Avatars do advanced techniques unique to a certain type of bending? is it based on if its the avatars native element? (lightning, metalbend, bloodbend)

RaizenYusuke

[13]Jun 12, 2012
    • level: 28

In theory the Avatar should have the potential to learn every bending form. In theory Korra could learn blood bending or use lightning or metal bend the same as other benders. I think it is up to the indivdual to learn and master it though like any other skill. Personally I think Aang could have learned metalbending from Toph if he wanted to. He even learned how to see with the earth like Toph, so I see no reason for him not to be able to metal bend.

Maybe Korra will learning advanced forms or refine her skills.

D3lirium

[14]Jun 15, 2012

I think that water bending move which takes water from the air and the surroundings is a dangerous move (Remember how the flower withered?). So I don't think Katara would teach it.

Also there's this one thing that bugs me about the Lightning Bending. In TLA, Zuko had a tough time trying to lightning bend and only the best fire benders could do it. However in LoK, I find it really strange that quite a lot of the fire benders know Lightning bending, for example : Mako, Lightning Bolt Zolt and others at the factory mako worked at. Lightning Bending is extremely dangerous so I can't see how it can become an average skill unless everyone decided it would be safe to teach such a harmful skill. (I guess electrocution is not very harmful in KoL, considering that most of the Equalists now have those "Iron Man" lightning gloves.)

Kwando7

[15]Jun 15, 2012

D3lirium wrote:

I think that water bending move which takes water from the air and the surroundings is a dangerous move (Remember how the flower withered?). So I don't think Katara would teach it.

Also there's this one thing that bugs me about the Lightning Bending. In TLA, Zuko had a tough time trying to lightning bend and only the best fire benders could do it. However in LoK, I find it really strange that quite a lot of the fire benders know Lightning bending, for example : Mako, Lightning Bolt Zolt and others at the factory mako worked at. Lightning Bending is extremely dangerous so I can't see how it can become an average skill unless everyone decided it would be safe to teach such a harmful skill. (I guess electrocution is not very harmful in KoL, considering that most of the Equalists now have those "Iron Man" lightning gloves.)

Yeah only dangerous for flowers maybe, Lightning could be achieved if the bender was mentally focused Zuko couldn't do it because he tried it before he became good and was still "confused".

D3lirium

[16]Jun 15, 2012
    True, I guess it's not humid enough in Republic city to gather enough water out of the air? As for the lightning, that makes sense.

qtwanderer

[17]Jun 15, 2012

Kwando7 wrote:
    Yeah only dangerous for flowers maybe, Lightning could be achieved if the bender was mentally focused Zuko couldn't do it because he tried it before he became good and was still "confused".

When did he do that? I do believe I missed it

D3lirium wrote:

***SPOILER***

I know what you mean, I am curious about that too. The only thing I could answer concerns what I think on the gloves. They must not be able to generate enough "spark" as someone that creates lightning or else alot of people would be dead. Or firebenders now just can't make a good bolt shoot out of their fingers...either ways we know from the last series that it was an advanced technique because of the serious harm it could do the bender and anyone the technique was used on. It still doesn't make sense to me how alot of firebenders can do it in this show and I know the creators put it in for flare but even with Zuko as an example, Zuko wasn't a prodigy but he was very skilled at bending his element, so much so he didn't flinch when challenged to Agni Kais by powerful and older benders. So its no suprise if he could do something dealing with lightning.

pokemonmonmon

[18]Jun 22, 2012
    • level: 5

my question is why didnt aang learn how to bloodbend? why are katara, yakone the old coot, tarrlok and possibly amon the only bloodbenders? aang shouldve at least learned so he could counter it like katara did. sure its illegal but hes the avatar so he shouldve mastered it. meh whatever

RaizenYusuke

[19]Jun 22, 2012
    • level: 28
    pokemonmonmon wrote:

my question is why didnt aang learn how to bloodbend? why are katara, yakone the old coot, tarrlok and possibly amon the only bloodbenders? aang shouldve at least learned so he could counter it like katara did. sure its illegal but hes the avatar so he shouldve mastered it. meh whatever

Being the good boyfriend later husband Aang is he knew how disgusted Katara was when she was forced to use it to save him and Sokka. Not wanting to make her dwell or think about an art she was disgusted by did not ask her to teach it to him. But I am surprised Aang didn't learn it from seeing Yakone do it. He was a genius at the bending principles.

pokemonmonmon

[20]Jun 29, 2012
    • level: 5

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    pokemonmonmon wrote:

Being the good boyfriend later husband Aang is he knew how disgusted Katara was when she was forced to use it to save him and Sokka. Not wanting to make her dwell or think about an art she was disgusted by did not ask her to teach it to him. But I am surprised Aang didn't learn it from seeing Yakone do it. He was a genius at the bending principles.
    katara used bloodbending willingly after that episode