We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Which Avatar has the most tragic storyline

Which Avatar

isabelwhatx

[21]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 14
    WiseLad wrote:
    Aang has the harshest 1.5 to 2 yrs, and his harsh life started when he was told he was the Avatar at 12, was relatively safe till than; there is no question about that fact; but has a bright outlook for the future Roku was cut very short, don't be fooled by way he looked, he was only 58. and remember that Sozin lived for many years, and he was born same yr as Roku, and Roku had to basically lived with fact of his mistake until Aang resolved it

maybe we should say Kuruk, but we talking "storyline", which includes even after death, not who had the harshest mortal life, so I still say Roku until now(since Aang brought peace again)

Kuruk dilemma has not been solved yet

Kyoshi's were only minor, the "crime" was solved, and than the Dai Li mistake will probably be taken care of by the King of BSS and Aang now that the war is over

Roku does have a lot of guilt, but he doesn't really have to face the consequences. Aang has just as much guilt as Roku, because Aang abandoned his people for 100 years. Aang let his whole nation die. Roku could've stopped Sozin just as Aang could've helped his nation. Aang ALSO has to deal with a problem that has been developing for over a hundred years. With the guilt and the responsibility, I think Aang has it the worsdt.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

WiseLad

[22]Aug 22, 2008
    wow, 9 months of struggle, I guess it will continue, as Azula goes free and convinces Zuko to fight the Avatar, as he is too powerful and might want to rule the whole world; and Katara dumps Aang, and she, Toph, Suki and sokka decide that Zuko and Azula are right,so everyone fights Aang

yes, it will be very harsh and tragic storyline

TitanPredator

[23]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 5

isabelwhatx wrote:
    WiseLad wrote:
    Aang has the harshest 1.5 to 2 yrs, and his harsh life started when he was told he was the Avatar at 12, was relatively safe till than; there is no question about that fact; but has a bright outlook for the future Roku was cut very short, don't be fooled by way he looked, he was only 58. and remember that Sozin lived for many years, and he was born same yr as Roku, and Roku had to basically lived with fact of his mistake until Aang resolved it maybe we should say Kuruk, but we talking "storyline", which includes even after death, not who had the harshest mortal life, so I still say Roku until now(since Aang brought peace again) Kuruk dilemma has not been solved yet Kyoshi's were only minor, the "crime" was solved, and than the Dai Li mistake will probably be taken care of by the King of BSS and Aang now that the war is over
    Roku does have a lot of guilt, but he doesn't really have to face the consequences. Aang has just as much guilt as Roku, because Aang abandoned his people for 100 years. Aang let his whole nation die. Roku could've stopped Sozin just as Aang could've helped his nation. Aang ALSO has to deal with a problem that has been developing for over a hundred years. With the guilt and the responsibility, I think Aang has it the worsdt.

Well, Aang didn't know the Firenation was going to attack. If he knew I'm sure he would have stayed to help defend the Air temples. It was more of an accident. He ran away because he didn't want to leave Gyatso for another teacher. A few moment's after that, the Firenation attacked. So it wasn't realy Aang fault. Just a very unlucky co??ncedence.

WiseLad

[24]Aug 22, 2008
    TitanPredator wrote:

Well, Aang didn't know the Firenation was going to attack. If he knew I'm sure he would have stayed to help defend the Air temples. It was more of an accident. He ran away because he didn't want to leave Gyatso for another teacher. A few moment's after that, the Firenation attacked. So it wasn't realy Aang fault. Just a very unlucky co??ncedence.

it can be thought as very lucky coincidence if he had stayed he probably would have died, than a new avatar would have been at a water tribe, and Sozin would have than really gone to massacre all the south water tribe instead of just getting all the water benders of the south, than gone full attack against the north tribe

isabelwhatx

[25]Aug 22, 2008
    TitanPredator wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:
    WiseLad wrote:
    Aang has the harshest 1.5 to 2 yrs, and his harsh life started when he was told he was the Avatar at 12, was relatively safe till than; there is no question about that fact; but has a bright outlook for the future Roku was cut very short, don't be fooled by way he looked, he was only 58. and remember that Sozin lived for many years, and he was born same yr as Roku, and Roku had to basically lived with fact of his mistake until Aang resolved it maybe we should say Kuruk, but we talking "storyline", which includes even after death, not who had the harshest mortal life, so I still say Roku until now(since Aang brought peace again) Kuruk dilemma has not been solved yet Kyoshi's were only minor, the "crime" was solved, and than the Dai Li mistake will probably be taken care of by the King of BSS and Aang now that the war is over

It was a coincedence, but that obviously didn't stop Aang from blaming himself.

isabelwhatx

[26]Aug 22, 2008
    WiseLad wrote:
    wow, 9 months of struggle, I guess it will continue, as Azula goes free and convinces Zuko to fight the Avatar, as he is too powerful and might want to rule the whole world; and Katara dumps Aang, and she, Toph, Suki and sokka decide that Zuko and Azula are right,so everyone fights Aang

Roku only had to deal with personal struggles. His few moments of struggle really only lasted a couple days at most. He shut down Sozin twice. Then, when he was killed, it only took him a second to realize. It might have been stretched out over a long period of time. Aang had a hard 9 months of struggle without a break.

WiseLad

[27]Aug 22, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    WiseLad wrote:

Roku only had to deal with personal struggles. His few moments of struggle really only lasted a couple days at most. He shut down Sozin twice. Then, when he was killed, it only took him a second to realize. It might have been stretched out over a long period of time. Aang had a hard 9 months of struggle without a break.

roku had to live for over 20 yrs with fact that his friendship with Sozin was over, (from the small battle till the volcanoes thing), it is implied they never saw much of each other

only thing all of us can agree basically is that all depends on what perspective one takes; also remember that for what for them is only 9 months, for us was over 3 years. Roku was basically 1 episode and little "hints" sporadically in other episodes, so we get more "involved in what happened to Aang, and we don't see the rest of his life

also here we talking "tragic storyline" not "tragic lifetime"

the only one we would not see as a "tragic storyline" of the 4 choices is Kyoshi, depending on POV, we can easily say Aang, Roku or Kuruk

isabelwhatx

[28]Aug 22, 2008
    I think we should agree to disagree This is a very opinionated subject. You do have a good point, but I'm just too stubborn to let go Oh, and BURN to Kyoshi. No one voted for her.

-TheSecondSign-

[29]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 8

Roku's death allowed the world to dissolve into chaos and war.

So for the WORLD, Roku's.

For the individual, probably Aang.

Water78

[30]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 47
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    I think we should agree to disagree This is a very opinionated subject. You do have a good point, but I'm just too stubborn to let go Oh, and BURN to Kyoshi. No one voted for her.

Still she's the only avatar to have a place named after her cant say the same any place else. Getting off topic here in the guru episode that huge lady airbender do u think that was yangchen?

WiseLad

[31]Aug 22, 2008
    can you show image?

Water78

[32]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 47

Part shown before the part were guru says aang has lost alot shows all the airbenders turing into smoke

isabelwhatx

[33]Aug 22, 2008
    Water78 wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:

Still she's the only avatar to have a place named after her cant say the same any place else. Getting off topic here in the guru episode that huge lady airbender do u think that was yangchen?

It could've been, but I kind of doubt it. Although it makes sense to have a statue in honor of an Avatar, you've got to realize that ALL woman airbenders looked like that. We've got no way of knowing.

Axrendale

[34]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 10

According to this http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Avatar_Yangchen it's her, but it might be wrong. However, I would be inclined to say that it's her, based on the fact that the necklace is the same.

isabelwhatx

[35]Aug 22, 2008
    Most of that information seems like they made it up from the short moments she was shown on the show. It's believable enough, but I don't trust it.

WiseLad

[36]Aug 23, 2008

here

from escape from spirit world

yangchen

Cait_x

[37]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 5

Well Aang did get told he was the Avatar at 12 and then he froze himself in an iceberg for 100 years of war. Pretty dramatic if you ask me. Then 100 years later he thinks he's failed so he goes with Katara, Sokka, Toph and Zuko (not to mention Appa and Momo) to save the world from Fire Lord Ozai BEFORE Sozin's Comet arrives. Talk about pressure.

Then theres Avatar Roku. He was betrayed by his best friend, Prince SOZIN lol. Being taught airbending by Monk Gyatso himself then waterbending with some guy and then earthbending from his good friend, Sud. While trying to master the Avatar State, he destories half of the Fire Temple. He comes back home to Sozin and marries Ta Min with Sozin as best man. Sozin then betrayed Roku then the volcano erupted and you all know what happens next. *tear*. The good thing is though that Sozin regretted betraying Roku years later.

And Kyoshi well i wont go into much. Kyoshi ended up being the oldest Avatar at 230 years old and she was a big earthbender. Then she had all that history with Chin the Great in the "Avatar Day" episode. She was enemies with Chin the Great but she didn't kill him.

I can't choose out of Aang or Roku. Since we all know what Aang went through and Roku went through a lot too I really can't choose has the most tragic storyline.