We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

What was the viewpoint of the fire nation civillians during the war?

Teranef

[1]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 4

At the end of Sozin's Comet the Fire Nation seemed to be perfectly happy with the Avatar defeating the fire lord (that may be an assumption though, but there wasn't any evidence to the contrary), but in the Ember Island Players they were cheering on visions of the demise of the Gaang, to the conquering of Ba Seng Sei and giving a standing ovation to Aang's downfall. But then there were Sokka/Zuko/Aang fans, kids dressed as Aang, people cheering on the Aang character in that crowd in the first part of Sozin's Comet, but in the Day of Black Sun we saw that children were taught that the war was a way of spreading the FN's greatness to the world and in the Headband we saw children were taught to be patriotic and were taught a less dishonorable version of FN history (I.e. that the FN battled an air nomad military). but in Ember Island Players the Gaang were portrayed as trying to save the day. Or perhaps it was meant to come across like the Gaang were idiots who thought they were helping when they weren't. The fire nation civillians, especially the audience of the Ember Island Players, strikes me as inconsistent in their stance, especially dressing up like and being fans of the main characters whilst applauding enactments of the demises of those very characters. Who's side are they on? What was the general public opinion of the war, other nations and the Gaang in the FN?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

panthean

[2]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 9
    Teranef wrote:

At the end of Sozin's Comet the Fire Nation seemed to be perfectly happy with the Avatar defeating the fire lord (that may be an assumption though, but there wasn't any evidence to the contrary), but in the Ember Island Players they were cheering on visions of the demise of the Gaang, to the conquering of Ba Seng Sei and giving a standing ovation to Aang's downfall. But then there were Sokka/Zuko/Aang fans, kids dressed as Aang, people cheering on the Aang character in that crowd in the first part of Sozin's Comet, but in the Day of Black Sun we saw that children were taught that the war was a way of spreading the FN's greatness to the world and in the Headband we saw children were taught to be patriotic and were taught a less dishonorable version of FN history (I.e. that the FN battled an air nomad military). but in Ember Island Players the Gaang were portrayed as trying to save the day. Or perhaps it was meant to come across like the Gaang were idiots who thought they were helping when they weren't. The fire nation civillians, especially the audience of the Ember Island Players, strikes me as inconsistent in their stance, especially dressing up like and being fans of the main characters whilst applauding enactments of the demises of those very characters. Who's side are they on? What was the general public opinion of the war, other nations and the Gaang in the FN?

Fire Nation is a monarchy... all the citizens ussually, blindly, follow thier leader, no matter who it is... for as long as the leader isn't getting them killed... as long as they are alive, they don't care what's happening...

Axrendale

[3]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 10

The Fire nation citizenry would seem to be a rendition of the Roman Citizenry in Shakespeare's play; Julius Caesar.

In Shakespeare's play, the Roman mob are nothing if not highly fickle. In the space of just a few acts in the play, they go from idolizing Pompey, to venerating Caesar, to hailing Brutus as a Liberator, only to be swayed back by a single speech from Mark Antony to worship Caesar once again, to turning against Antony and transfering loyalty to Cicero, to rejoicing as Cicero is struck down as Antony, once again a hero, reunites with Octavian, (and in a later play), to turn on Antony once more and cheer Octavian on in putting an end to Antony and becoming Emperor.

Compared to the fickle mob in Julius Caesar, the people of the Fire Nation seems rather tame by comparison in their ability to transfer loyalties.

panthean

[4]Dec 6, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

The Fire nation citizenry would seem to be a rendition of the Roman Citizenry in Shakespeare's play; Julius Caesar.

In Shakespeare's play, the Roman mob are nothing if not highly fickle. In the space of just a few acts in the play, they go from idolizing Pompey, to venerating Caesar, to hailing Brutus as a Liberator, only to be swayed back by a single speech from Mark Antony to worship Caesar once again, to turning against Antony and transfering loyalty to Cicero, to rejoicing as Cicero is struck down as Antony, once again a hero, reunites with Octavian, (and in a later play), to turn on Antony once more and cheer Octavian on in putting an end to Antony and becoming Emperor.

Compared to the fickle mob in Julius Caesar, the people of the Fire Nation seems rather tame by comparison in their ability to transfer loyalties.

yea, they just aren't a very important part of the story, so the writer didn't bother telling us what they thought

mch9797

[5]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 5
    I think that the civillians of the fire natioin could care less either way as long as they were safe and happy much to the same as the US. ( that was not a crack as the US Go USA!!!). Any ways, Their are many people of the fire nation there were the people in ember island who were cheering for the avatars death and than there was Aangs old master who was a member of the white lotus. I think that it depeneds on the person. As a whole I feel like the fire nation people would go with the flow as long as they were happy.

isabelwhatx

[6]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 14
    The Headband.

'Nuff said.

Jackson5050

[7]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 12
    I would postulate that the proletarians were pleased when the war ended. The quality of life for average citizens always decreases during wartime. Considering this was a war of choice, they had no vested interest. It was the bourgeoisie and the aristocracy who supported the war.

Water78

[8]Dec 7, 2008
    • level: 47
    unless they were all brainwashed to follow and go along with what ever the fire lord says. Create a term of fear and everybody will follow what you say. But when they dont follow the fear and dont care then you have a problem. Wow i just sorta desrcibed the bush adminstartion

panthean

[9]Dec 7, 2008
    remember this quote (i don't know where it comes from initially, but i remember it from Minority Report)

"In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king"

and if you take it literally, your an idiot

gilvatar

[10]Dec 7, 2008
    • level: 17
    WEll, I think the play thing is like if a kid dresses up as Swiper (the fox on Dora the Explorer) for halloween. It's just for fun. To then, Aang/Zuko/Sokka is just a silly character.