We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

The Last Airbender Movie Reactions?

Bamb0o-Stick

[1]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 13

This will probably go down as one of the most disappointing moments of my life. My favorite TV show of all time, ruined by M Night Shyamalan. I really thought that this movie has a good chance of being good, since most of the material is written already. I thought the "racebending" issue was bad enough but that turned out to be just the tip of the turd-iceberg.

Boy was I wrong, from what I hear from fans the movie butchered everything about the show. From the names being mispronounced (Oong instead of Aang) to huge glaring changes/mistakes to characters' personalities (Toph possibly being deaf? Iroh being a coffee drinking villian?). As of now The Last Airbender scores a measly 6% on Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

Here are fan reactions to the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNl3j3Snkbs

Can anyone who has seen the show offer their opinion? If you actually went to go see it and didn't like it: my deepest sympathies. I cannot bring myself to watch my favorite show get butchered. If I had spent $12 on a ticket I don't want to end up walking out of it and ask for a refund.

Edited on 07/01/2010 8:32pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

_Flutterlight_

[2]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 15
    Judging by the review in the Chicago Tribune... It's awful. Just awful. From what I hear, Shamalam (or however you spell it), completely DESTROYED the Avatar show that we know and love.

Storm7789

[3]Jul 1, 2010
    I saw it and nearly cried afterward. They said the names different than the show. The plot was so jumpy even a person with ADD would have trouble stomaching it. There are numerous miniscule changes that bothered me but oh well on that. They didn't even say Katara's name until three quarters through and then there was that spirit dragon that I can only assume was a combination of Avatar Roku, His dragon, and Koh the face stealer. Its a must see failure. Your heart will break if you care even a little bit about this.

JandSman

[4]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 32
    I was very sad and i'm just very sad that people who didn't see the show are claiming this movie as amazing. I'm just like did you see the same movie as i did. Just go to Youtube and look up the Last Airbender Review and it's just so sad that people think that was good.

HopeHime4

[5]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 7

This video seriously made me lol. It's the Gaang's response to The Last Airbender.

Edited on 07/01/2010 3:13pm

JixHedgehog

[6]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 3

Yep, 5 more disappointed fans here (My wife, mother in law, wifes niece, a friend and myself)

Midnight screening meant all the die hard fans were there.. people with Appa and Momo dolls, a kid with an actual arrow shaved into his hair, some guy screaming allegiance to the water tribe...

30 minutes in, 3 people sitting next to us .. who were even more excited than we were, got up, left the theater and didn't come back.

Moaning heard every time "Ung" was said, sarcastic laughing at the pointless parts...

During the end credits a guy asked the audience to raise our hands if we thought it sucked... 90% of us put our hands up.

One good thing did come out of it thou, it made us realize how awesome the cartoon is

KingofIPirates

[7]Jul 1, 2010
    Storm7789 wrote:
    then there was that spirit dragon that I can only assume was a combination of Avatar Roku, His dragon, and Koh the face stealer.
    Whhaat? Can't be as bad as what Dragonball Evolution did to Oozaru.
    Edited on 07/01/2010 4:37pm

Nickylucas

[8]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 23

JixHedgehog wrote:

Yep, 5 more disappointed fans here (My wife, mother in law, wifes niece, a friend and myself)

Midnight screening meant all the die hard fans were there.. people with Appa and Momo dolls, a kid with an actual arrow shaved into his hair, some guy screaming allegiance to the water tribe...

30 minutes in, 3 people sitting next to us .. who were even more excited than we were, got up, left the theater and didn't come back.

Moaning heard every time "Ung" was said, sarcastic laughing at the pointless parts...

During the end credits a guy asked the audience to raise our hands if we thought it sucked... 90% of us put our hands up.

One good thing did come out of it thou, it made us realize how awesome the cartoon is

The cartoon has always been awesome. Shamalalalayan or whatever his name is....well I don't really know what to say here except whatever idea of a trilogy there was has been destroyed. UUNG has not saved the world.

[9]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 3
    @HopeHime4:

Thanks for that. That made me crack up for 2 minutes straight. I haven't seen it yet but now I don't want to anymore...I can't believe they messed up so bad..that is, if they did.

Did you read the comments underneath? Some of them said that Mike and Bryan must have known that the movie would stink so they put it in there...haha!

Storm7789

[10]Jul 1, 2010
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    Storm7789 wrote:
    then there was that spirit dragon that I can only assume was a combination of Avatar Roku, His dragon, and Koh the face stealer.
    Whhaat? Can't be as bad as what Dragonball Evolution did to Oozaru.

As far as I'm concerned, far worse. I mean I liked the Spirit Dragon but it made absolutely no sense and didn't have an backstory/placement in the story.

TheRedDragon03

[11]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 6

begin rant/ I Just saw the movie, and it was horrible, in every way. The charactors didn't seem like themselves, thewriting was AWFUL, even the special effects were really rough in some places and looked ridiculus. The movie hardly resembled the show at all. It just wasn't the AvatarI know and love.

My biggest complaint is definiatly the charators personalities...they had none. There just wasn't enough diologe to get an Idea of what anyone was like, except, oddly enough, the fire nation charators. You always knew what was going on with them, it was odd, The movie foucused on Zhao's story a lot, with some Zuko, and very little of the Gaang. Damn backwards movie!

with Aang, he just was alwaystrying to get into the Spirit World to talk to the dragon, not much other noticeable personality.Katara andSokkatook a backseat for much of the movie. Iroh had more emotion and charactorization than any other charactor, and was the only redeaming featue of the film.

Another thing that almost made me leave the theator was the "grand finale" *Spoiler!* the ocean spirit never appears to fight off the Fire nation, instead we get a super-lame Aang making a big wall of water, and the Fire nation...Runs Away...yeah. the end had no power to it...it just ended. Oh, and Katara and Sokka bow down toAang, just picture the animated charators bowing to Aang in submission, it would never happen, am I right?

whew, /End Rant

JandSman

[12]Jul 1, 2010
    My one friend who lives in LA is telling me that there is some people protesting Noah Ringer playing Aang. I may have a video up if this is legit i will pretty happy.

Nickylucas

[13]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 23

JandSman wrote:
    My one friend who lives in LA is telling me that there is some people protesting Noah Ringer playing Aang. I may have a video up if this is legit i will pretty happy.
    I hated all the casting, soI wouldn't mind seeing this.

lyokophantom

[14]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 36

I...I didn't think it was THAT bad. The transitions from one scenario to another weren't the best. But only because it kept us from truly understanding the whole Avatar Roku thing. But it is hard to put 13 30 minute episodes into a movie. So I think he did a pretty good job of hitting all the high points. Although like with the Roku thing, some content was more vague while others were very specific as to how the T.V. show went. Katara wasn't as demanding, I'll admit. The purpose everyone did things was not the same purpose or motives as the T.V. show. As for the name pronunciations, M. Night Shyamalan wanted to use the original Asian pronunciations.