We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

The last airbender film pre film thoughts?

iceman_freeze

[1]May 24, 2010
    • level: 2

In case you don't know Avatar: The Last Airbender is going to be adapted into a movie. Now due to similar movie names to avoid confusion this film has dropped the name "avatar" due to james cameron's avatar film that came out in 2009. so this film will be known as The Last Airbender. And if this film does do well in sales etc then the 2nd film and 3rd films will be created. as this is the 1st film this will be known as water. M.night shyamalan is the director of this film, the producer is frank marshall. the music has been created by james newton howard.

Due to being a bit (ok a huge) last airbender geek I have searched the web for information on this film as well as searching through youtube videos too, to find out various things.

the film stars noah ringer as aang. this will be his first movie although he has little acting ability shyamalan said they either had to go with a kid who was good at martial arts with little acting ability or go with a kid that was good at acting and wasnt good at martial arts and then "teach" him what he was weakest on. nicola peltz as katara shes been in a few films nothing worthwhile. jackson rathbone as sokka who is a star from the twilight movies apparently. dev patel as zuko slumdog millionaire star. cliff curtis as ozai, aasif mandvi as zhao, shaun toub as iroh. seychelle gabriel as princess yue. jessica andres as suki. Katherine houghton as kanna katara and sokka's gran.

first here is a link to a trailer playlist i made that links all the trailers together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W1dhqc-JBs&feature=PlayList&p=B360E99CD65759DF&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

if you want anymore information on this film via youtube i suggest you look through jeff palmer's videos that he has created on youtube. not only is he informative he makes sense. this is his channel http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffpalmer?blend=1&ob=4

just to state a few things.

no the film isnt racist for casting caucasian actors for a cartoon that was heavilly influenced by asian culture.

the producer said that they werent looking to hire any actors from a particular ethnic background however when the casting sheets went out they SHOULD of said "Looking for Caucasians and Other Ethnicities." but instead it said "Looking for Caucasians or any Other Ethnicities."

shyamalan said the casting was open to anyone. but with that sort of mix up i dont think they would of got many actors from other ethnicities

marshall also said that this casting notice was poorly worded and offensive. However, it was not written nor distributed by the production, or the studio, but by a local extra casting entity that did not consult with either.

the humour in the show is being changed here and there due to the target audience being wider unlike the cartoon. as shyamalan said "somethings work in cartoons but they dont in films and vice versa" he also said a lot of the slapstick jokes have been taken out but the main humour will still be there.

nicola peltz talking about the film. the fact that jackson was playing around with her makes me think he'll bring comedy to the sokka role http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2EufbvCtQ

jackson rathbone talking about the film. sounds like he should be good with the sokka catchphrases http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJLdXkgrNI

noah ringer talking about the film. just so you can hear what he sounds like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iy1oeEdkbs

both appa and momo will be in the film but because momo is 100% CGI we probably wont spot him until the movie.......he'll be being created now im guessing or at the least having the finishing touches put on. appa is 50% CGI and 50% mechanical this is so he appears more "real"

firebenders can't bend without a source unless they are a firebending master iroh, zuko eventually, ozai. this is done imo for 2 reasons. shyamalan said they tried an early idea of all firebenders "creating" fire but it didnt look "real". the 2nd reason is to make the more powerful firebenders stand out they will be able to create fire whereas other will need a source......kinda like katara with her water source....they'll have a personal fire source im guessing. this is a good thing imo cos it really shows how powerful firebenders like iroh really are.

aang's aarows arent constantly blue like when in the cartoon. this is because shyamalan couldnt make them look "real". i like this idea too as its a live action movie i would prefer as much as possible looking "real"

finally no bumi, jet and his band of rebels, jeong jeong in this movie. but shyamalan will be using bumi in the 2nd film, jet in the 2nd film and jeong jeong in the 3rd. i believe shyamalan is doing this to "separate" the films properly so this film is heavilly focused on water with the 2nd heavilly focused on earth and the 3rd heavilly focused on fire. bumi and jet are from the earth kingdom so it makes sense that they would be in the 2nd film instead of using 10-15 mins on introducing them in this film then the audience forgeting who they are in the 2nd film. its just easier to introduce them both in the 2nd film adding an extra 10 mins too. same for jeong jeong and the 3rd film. the audience may forget about him for the 3rd if he was put in now. so that was another good part of clever thinking by shyamalan. its also not quite clear if azula will appear in this film although no actress has been said to be cast. she could just be kept underwraps until the final moment.

everything i have seen or heard about this film so far imo has been done brilliantly (apart from the casting but that wasnt really shyamalan, marshall or anyone that actually works for the film's fault).

Edited on 05/24/2010 6:47pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Erekle_var_ra

[2]May 25, 2010
    • level: 8

i think that it won't be cool enough to honor animations name !!!

SokkaAppa

[3]Jun 28, 2010
    • level: 11

1. the acting needs to be solid.. kinda worried because that noah kid hasnt acted before

2. Sokka needs to be Funny! what makes the show great is that it is funny and serious

3. thats it.. nail those two and it will be a great movie

DiamondLights

[4]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 8

1. I really hope there's some decent dialogue

2. I also hope that Dev Patel gets like 10x hotter

3. Shyamalan sucks. With that said, hopefully this movie doesn't completely suck as badly as its director.

Edited on 06/30/2010 12:40pm

AllieAllie

[5]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 22

1. good acting-hopefully the characters will be portrayed well and just like how they are in the tv series

2. All important characters and events are in the movie-though I've already heard about some characters being left out

3. its presented in a way that maybe newcomers seeing the movie will be interested in seeing the show