We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Should their be a Japanese adaption

nyfan

[1]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 20

Well they are letting a feature movie triology be made, and all of you are excited about that. But who here would love if a Japanese author or Japanese publishing company wanted to make their own version of Avatar? I would be excited to read an Avatar manga.

As far as anime adaption, that is when I might drew the line as far as interest, but I would defentely would have fun reading the latest chapters of an Avatar manga ever week.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AllieAllie

[2]Jan 22, 2010
    • level: 22
    Avatar manga would be a pretty cool idea. ^^ They're already making a manga based on the live action movie, but I would rather read one based on the series.
    Edited on 01/22/2010 3:24pm

nyfan

[3]Jan 22, 2010

AllieAllie wrote:
    Avatar manga would be a pretty cool idea. ^^ They're already making a manga based on the live action movie, but I would rather read one based on the series.

When you say movie, you mean the James Cameron movie?

Back to the topic, well if each episode of the series was a chapter, than it would be 61 chapters. That is very short for a manga story, I think it should be a monthly series instead of a weekly series.

I am sure they would be creative liciense to change a thing or two, including subtracting and adding filler chapters. For examples, I hope they take a cue from the Ember Island Players play, and get rid of "The Great Divide". Speaking of which, "The Ember Island Players" is another chapter I might eleminate, not that I didn't enjoy the episode, but it wouldn't translate well to written form without the voice actors and live animation to be as fun as watching it on tv.

Edited on 01/22/2010 4:40pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Bunnygirl

[4]Jan 22, 2010
    • level: 10
    nyfan wrote:

AllieAllie wrote:

Back to the topic, well if each episode of the series was a chapter, than it would be 61 chapters. I am sure they would be creative liciense to change a thing or two, including subtracting and adding filler chapters. For examples, I hope they take a cue from the Ember Island Players play, and get rid of "The Great Divide". Speaking of which, "The Ember Island Players" is another chapter I might eleminate, not that I didn't enjoy the episode, but it wouldn't translate well to written form without the voice actors and live animation to be as fun as watching it on tv.

The M. Night Shyalaman version, he's directing a live action film trilogy of the show. Cameron's Avatar is completely different and has nothing to do with Avatar: The Last Airbender besides him throwing a fit over the idea of Shyalaman calling his film 'Avatar'.

nyfan

[5]Jan 22, 2010
    Bunnygirl wrote:
    nyfan wrote:

AllieAllie wrote:

Back to the topic, well if each episode of the series was a chapter, than it would be 61 chapters. I am sure they would be creative liciense to change a thing or two, including subtracting and adding filler chapters. For examples, I hope they take a cue from the Ember Island Players play, and get rid of "The Great Divide". Speaking of which, "The Ember Island Players" is another chapter I might eleminate, not that I didn't enjoy the episode, but it wouldn't translate well to written form without the voice actors and live animation to be as fun as watching it on tv.

The M. Night Shyalaman version, he's directing a live action film trilogy of the show. Cameron's Avatar is completely different and has nothing to do with Avatar: The Last Airbender besides him throwing a fit over the idea of Shyalaman calling his film 'Avatar'.

Yeah I know about the Shyalaman, just wanted to make sure which movie you were referring to.

Trollwrangler

[6]Mar 2, 2010
    • level: 5

If the movie is based on the cartoon then why would the manga be based on it instead of the cartoon?

A short series not based on the gaang would be perfect for a manga, like what they did with Samurai Champloo.

WWinnieF

[7]Apr 4, 2010
    Trollwrangler wrote:

If the movie is based on the cartoon then why would the manga be based on it instead of the cartoon?

Because the cartoon--to be honest--is being tossed to the wind in favor of the live action films. It's just like how some people dislike the Harry Potter books (heaven forbid), but can tolerate the films.

Trollwrangler

[8]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 5

It's just mathematically unsound.

ATLA cartoon = movie. So if movie = manga, then cartoon = manga, and we don't need to dillute it with the movie.

_Flutterlight_

[9]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 15
    I may be wrong about this, but wasn't Avatar originally made for Japan, but flopped there?

edmasterchaos

[10]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 41
    Pretty sure it was originally made for CN, but flopped to Nick.

ranger8060

[11]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 7
    They aren't making a manga for the film, as in a manga that runs every week. They're making a bookish type of manga that covers the whole movie. There will be one manga book that's for the whole movie, and one manga book that covers just Zuko's life. This won't be a weekly type of thing.

edmasterchaos

[12]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 41
    So... a databook and a one-shot of Zuko?

WWinnieF

[13]Apr 8, 2010
    edmasterchaos wrote:
    So... a databook and a one-shot of Zuko?
    Apparently so.