We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

shoud'nt earthbenders be able to bend any type of rock

gururumon916

[1]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 3
    I mean shoud'nt they be able to bend metal it's just a type of rock any type of rock they should be able to bend
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mwezi383

[2]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 7
    No, I think this has been addressed before.??They could probably bend raw metals, but smelting??metals removes natural impurities and makes it so that??Earthbenders can't bend it. This is a??weakness that the Fire Nation??has exploited in their warships, prisons, etc. This is also why Earthbenders like Toph and King Bumi were unable to escape the??metal cages they had been trapped in.????

Vini05

[3]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 12
    I think is a problem with density, while denser it is more difficult is to bending

soccerdawg76

[4]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 18

gururumon916 wrote:
    I mean shoud'nt they be able to bend metal it's just a type of rock any type of rock they should be able to bend

Metal is not a rock, it's a mineral! I explained this to someone in another thread. If there were metalbenders then there would be calciumbenders.

Mwezi383

[5]Aug 1, 2006
    Vini05 wrote:
    I think is a problem with density, while denser it is more difficult is to bending

Wouldn't density be an advantage to Earthbenders? Consider how much trouble Toph had keeping the library from sinking in the desert. The DESERT, meaning she was surrounded by sand. By your theory, sand, because of how loose it is, should be the easiest kind of rock for Earthbenders to handle.

Pharmacopoeia

[6]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 9
    soccerdawg76 wrote:

gururumon916 wrote:

Metal is not a rock, it's a mineral! I explained this to someone in another thread. If there were metalbenders then there would be calciumbenders.

Ya, but what is rock made out of... minerals right. My oppinion is that they are baseing it on ancient beliefs, and metal isn't one of the 5 elements so, live with it.

Mwezi383

[7]Aug 1, 2006
    Pharmacopoeia wrote:
    soccerdawg76 wrote:

gururumon916 wrote:

Ya, but what is rock made out of... minerals right. My oppinion is that they are baseing it on ancient beliefs, and metal isn't one of the 5 elements so, live with it.

Just because I agree with you doesn't mean that you're not wrong. (I know that made no sense, just work with me here!)

Yes, they are basing it on ancient beliefs...from Greece. The four elements according to the ancient Greeks are the same as they use in Avatar: water, earth, fire, and air. The ancient Greek scientists theoroised that everything on earth was made from these four elements.

However, these beliefs were not universal. (Duh.) In the East, there were five elements: fire, water, and earth were the common elements (no pun intended) between Eastern and Western theories regarding the elemts, but the Chinese also considered wood and metal to be elements instead of air.

My point is, metal is an element, just not in the system the creators of Avatar used. There was no need to be rude about it.

Pharmacopoeia

[8]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 9
    Mwezi383 wrote:
    Pharmacopoeia wrote:
    soccerdawg76 wrote:

gururumon916 wrote:

Just because I agree with you doesn't mean that you're not wrong. (I know that made no sense, just work with me here!) Yes, they are basing it on ancient beliefs...from Greece. The four elements according to the ancient Greeks are the same as they use in Avatar: water, earth, fire, and air. The ancient Greek scientists theoroised that everything on earth was made from these four elements. However, these beliefs were not universal. (Duh.) In the East, there were five elements: fire, water, and earth were the common elements (no pun intended) between Eastern and Western theories regarding the elemts, but the Chinese also considered wood and metal to be elements instead of air. My point is, metal is an element, just not in the system the creators of Avatar used. There was no need to be rude about it.

I wasn't trying to be rude, if I seemed like I was, then I'm sorry.?? Thats what I tell myself, to live with it, because I've always thought that since fire is just heat and light energy, shouldn't they be able to bend all light and all heat, so I just tell myself not to worry about it.

soccerdawg76

[9]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 18
    Pharmacopoeia wrote:
    Mwezi383 wrote:
    Pharmacopoeia wrote:
    soccerdawg76 wrote:

gururumon916 wrote:

Just because I agree with you doesn't mean that you're not wrong. (I know that made no sense, just work with me here!) Yes, they are basing it on ancient beliefs...from Greece. The four elements according to the ancient Greeks are the same as they use in Avatar: water, earth, fire, and air. The ancient Greek scientists theoroised that everything on earth was made from these four elements. However, these beliefs were not universal. (Duh.) In the East, there were five elements: fire, water, and earth were the common elements (no pun intended) between Eastern and Western theories regarding the elemts, but the Chinese also considered wood and metal to be elements instead of air. My point is, metal is an element, just not in the system the creators of Avatar used. There was no need to be rude about it.

I wasn't trying to be rude, if I seemed like I was, then I'm sorry.?? Thats what I tell myself, to live with it, because I've always thought that since fire is just heat and light energy, shouldn't they be able to bend all light and all heat, so I just tell myself not to worry about it.

WTF!?

Colonel_Brian

[10]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 12
    Mwezi383 wrote:
    Pharmacopoeia wrote:
    soccerdawg76 wrote:

gururumon916 wrote:

Bravo