We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Sexism in Show

phoenixfirework

[1]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 21
    Think of it, Sokka's the smart one. And the Mechanist. The guys are always in charge. Fire Lord, Kings, the men are the mayors and politicians. I get that this is an old fashioned world, but it seems to me that men are in charge everywhere.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

latinblue

[2]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 9
    this is because the show is based on the real world's past, when the womans were just to be in the house cooking and the men working, thay are just mantaining his state has an "old world"

DAGGET35

[3]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 20
    What about Kyoshi? She created an entire island, killed??a warlord, and has an entire village named after and looked up to as a hero.

phoenixfirework

[4]Jul 15, 2006
    Yeah, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the world, especially the Water Tribes. Our history sucks, women were only opressed because we weren't blood thirsty brutes. Same in the Avatar World, Fire LORD'S started and continued the war.

latinblue

[5]Jul 15, 2006
    yeah, I know ti was unfair for us(womans) during the old ages, but the creators doesn't do this because they want this show to be unfair with womans, but to maintain their possition as an "old world"

cisalpine

[6]Jul 15, 2006

What about Azula? she's a woman in a position of power if i ever did see one.

But, yeah, I'm willing to give you the water tribes.

phoenixfirework

[7]Jul 15, 2006

I know Azula, Toph, and even *Katara* aren't the typical females and break free of the female housewife position that many females in the show play. But I haven't seen a single women as a queen, in charge of a city. It's Fire Lords, and Kings, and one of the guys mentioned the KING of Ba Sing Se. I so hoped it was a female. I haven't seen a single female master of bending or head of a town. This sickens me, I'm seriously ticked at seeing an entire show that is popular and amazing taking place in such a gender oppressing time is... AWFUL. I may be going overboard, but you get my point.

Sci-fi09

[8]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 8

Well yeah, the writers obviously wanted to show an old world type theme when it comes to women, but think about this.?? The water tribe doesn't allow women to bend(at least in the Northern Water tribe) and the Air Nomads didn't seem to include women in bending much either (as far as we can tell becuase in the air temples no women were shown.)?? In the Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation, it seems that women play a larger role in society examples-Toph and Azula.?? Mabey it's becuase water bending??is opposite to fire??bending??and air bending??is opposite to earthbending, or mabey it's just becuase the water tribes and air nomads are more "old fashioned."??

Edited on 07/15/2006 12:07am

phoenixfirework

[9]Jul 15, 2006
    The Eastern and Western Air Temples were exclusively female and the Northern and Southern were exclusively male. It still ticks me off that males are so in charge in this show.

metalcurtainrod

[10]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 10
    No offense, but this thread is a load of bs. The only sexist aspect of Avatar is the northern water tribe. Sokka used to be sort of sexist before he met suki, but he's not anymore so that doesn't even matter.

phoenixfirework

[11]Jul 15, 2006
    Hey watch it. This is serious, if you can't be serious about this then don't post pal.

metalcurtainrod

[12]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 10
    I am serious. I just don't think avatar is sexist.

pooldude256

[13]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 38
    Ok, since we're giving women a more prominant role, why don't we give all the nations the top technologies as well, such as cars, airplanes, etc. We should also give them computers, cell phones, televisions (so they can watch the daily weather reports from well-educated meterologists). Also while we're add it, we should divide the four nations into states. Ok Ba Sing Se and all surrounding nations will now be called "Kentucky." The Northwest corner of the Fire Nation will be "Washington." In fact, why don't we get rid of all the flags for the different nations and just waive the good ol' US flag everywhere there.

Seriously, with Katara, Toph, Kyoshi, Suki, Jun, Azula, etc., this is probably the least sexist show on TV. Yeah men are in charge, and not every nation has the same view on women like we do. Afghanistan (during the Taliban) is a prime example. You should be glad the Avatar world hasn't gotten that extreme as of yet.

Why is it with every show someone has to bring up sexism, or discrimination, or any number of other pointless objections when there really is no argument.