We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Questions About The Blind Bandit

Songoftheskies

[1]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 6

After rewatching that episode, I have a few questions:

1)In the end fight when one guy was swinging down on a vine, did Toph sense the rock he had, or did she "feel" him through the walls and vine? I think she sensed the rock because of what happened with Sokka on Appa, but??I would like your opinons.

2) Did you think Toph knew how many ants were on the ground, or just a rough estimate AKA exactly how many vibrations there were, or that there were vibrations and not just one?

3)Could she "feel" on bird on a low branch of a tree? She couldn't see the belt that Sokka threw because he was on Appa, and that vibration didn't carry though to the ground (I think). Because if she can't, then if Ty Lee was bouncing??off the trees, she could attack Toph that way.

4)Of course,??someone slamming into??trees would mean more vibrations than??a bird landing, but ??the tree might stop the vibration before it gets to the roots, which is how Toph??knows the tree is there. Any ideas?

Thanks for your opinons.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajehKing

[2]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 16
    1. Not sure which scene you're talking about.
    2. Yes, she estimated. There would be too many ants for her to give an exact number.
    3 and 4. Toph can feel things through vibrations, but don't forget she cqan also hear. Blind peple have heightened senses so she can hear most things that a non-blind person looking the other way would not.

Pharmacopoeia

[3]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 9

I can answere #1, cause I wonderd that for a long time...

A: The idiot screamed as he swung at her! She could hear him!

Songoftheskies

[4]Aug 20, 2006
    1) During the fight when she takes on the entire Earth Rumble stable. She takes on two earthbenders on one of those huge circle-things(Avatar State) except this one's on the ground. The guy swings in on the vine and Toph turns the circle so he crashes into the two earthbenders.

Eman5805

[5]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 14

you don't have to have blindness??compensating hearing to hear someone screaming at the top of his lungs...and the whole tree thing tells me that there's a sort of both ways-ness about the vibrations...in other words...in order to sense an object it doesn't have to move...when she walks she sends out vibrations which bounce back to her like echolocation...that's how I think she could "see" the tree

Pharmacopoeia

[6]Aug 20, 2006
    Eman5805 wrote:

you don't have to have blindness??compensating hearing to hear someone screaming at the top of his lungs...and the whole tree thing tells me that there's a sort of both ways-ness about the vibrations...in other words...in order to sense an object it doesn't have to move...when she walks she sends out vibrations which bounce back to her like echolocation...that's how I think she could "see" the tree

Totally agree!

Hoshie26

[7]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 4
    She might have been able to "see" all the ants.When Sokka threw the belt it was in the air so she could have not seen it.He did it kinda fast well.. he could have thrown it between two of her ecolation things...did that make sense?

Songoftheskies

[8]Aug 20, 2006
    yeah. But I don't think her ecolocation is that slow. If it was, she wouldn't be able to fight well.

Hoshie26

[9]Aug 20, 2006
    True True..

Taang_Forever

[10]Aug 20, 2006
    I have a theory...

The swinging guy was screaming... and even i would have heard him coming. It's obvious Toph can see through organic material as she can through earth. This involves knowing how the other benders were positioned and stuff. Therefore following vibrations through the floor, up the wall and down the rope to the swinging guy was another way she could've used to detect him. Now, you will say "If that's true, how come that belt hit her from so close?"

Well, you might as well ALSO ask how she can see rocks coming at her through mid air. Well, i think maybe she(or more earthbenders) have a sort of "magnetic field", although this field isn't magnetic to metal, but to the earth. And this "field" around her allows her to feel where the earth is, in mid air even. "I see with earthbending". So maybe Toph, at all times, even when she's not trying, is in contact with the earth through bending. So when a rock is flying towards her, she can feel the "push" of the rock against her feel, therefore making it visible to her.

The belt was not made of earth. And it was coming at her through the air. So she could not pinpoint with accuracy where it was coming from, and got hit in the head with it.

Songoftheskies

[11]Aug 20, 2006

Taang_Forever wrote:
    I have a theory... The swinging guy was screaming... and even i would have heard him coming. It's obvious Toph can see through organic material as she can through earth. This involves knowing how the other benders were positioned and stuff. Therefore following vibrations through the floor, up the wall and down the rope to the swinging guy was another way she could've used to detect him. Now, you will say "If that's true, how come that belt hit her from so close?" Well, you might as well ALSO ask how she can see rocks coming at her through mid air. Well, i think maybe she(or more earthbenders) have a sort of "magnetic field", although this field isn't magnetic to metal, but to the earth. And this "field" around her allows her to feel where the earth is, in mid air even. "I see with earthbending". So maybe Toph, at all times, even when she's not trying, is in contact with the earth through bending. So when a rock is flying towards her, she can feel the "push" of the rock against her feel, therefore making it visible to her. The belt was not made of earth. And it was coming at her through the air. So she could not pinpoint with accuracy where it was coming from, and got hit in the head with it.

I like the second part of your theory about the magnetic field. I think??I mentioned it in my first post about her sensing the rock. But I don't think she could sense him. If he was silent, and was carrying??metal ball or something else metal, she wouldn't have been able to sense it, and therefore hit.

neverbeenpinker

[12]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 8
    Songoftheskies wrote:

After rewatching that episode, I have a few questions:

1)In the end fight when one guy was swinging down on a vine, did Toph sense the rock he had, or did she "feel" him through the walls and vine? I think she sensed the rock because of what happened with Sokka on Appa, but??I would like your opinons.

2) Did you think Toph knew how many ants were on the ground, or just a rough estimate AKA exactly how many vibrations there were, or that there were vibrations and not just one?

3)Could she "feel" on bird on a low branch of a tree? She couldn't see the belt that Sokka threw because he was on Appa, and that vibration didn't carry though to the ground (I think). Because if she can't, then if Ty Lee was bouncing??off the trees, she could attack Toph that way.

4)Of course,??someone slamming into??trees would mean more vibrations than??a bird landing, but ??the tree might stop the vibration before it gets to the roots, which is how Toph??knows the tree is there. Any ideas?

Thanks for your opinons.

1: the guy was like "AAARGH!!!" and she heard him. you could tell because the camera showed a picture of her ear and it sort of moved back a little like she was hearing him.

2: i think she'd be able to tell how many ants there were. it might take her a second, sort of like how long it would take a person to count how many ants there were, but if she could feel the individual vibrations of people, and not just one big blur, then she'd be able to feel the ants. especially since she's able to tell different people apart by their vibrations. she's got skills.

3: she could probably feel the bird on the branch. she could tell that one of the guys from the ring was carrying a rock, it's sort of the same concept. i think the only reason she couldn't tell that sokka was throwing the belt to her was either 1) she felt the vibrations when sokka picked up the belt and she maybe "saw" the belt leave sokka's hand, but after that she couldn't see it and it took her by surprise when it hit her or 2) she could get confused by all the stuff going on inside appa because he's one giant organism and stuff like breathing and heartbeat and stuff like that makes anything else just sort of blend in. but that's beside the point. she'd probably be able to feel ty-lee because trees don't have heartbeats or anything like that.

and besides, she'd be able to hear her feet hit the trees anyway.

p.s. i like the "magnetic field" idea. it would make a lot of sense. i always thought that mnaybe she could tell rocks coming at her because she could see them being bended out of the earth or whatever, and she just sort of estimated where they were going to hit. but i like your idea better. it eliminates the guesswork.

i have a question.... what would this mean for a blind waterbender? i guess firebenders and airbenders would be pretty much screwed, since their element isn't, you know, solid.

F1ames

[13]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 7

neverbeenpinker wrote:
    i have a question.... what would this mean for a blind waterbender? i guess firebenders and airbenders would be pretty much screwed, since their element isn't, you know, solid.

i think firebenders might be able to feel heat coming toward them, and airbenders might be able to sense air speed changing, for example, when a speeding car passes you, you can feel the wind coming at you, but a waterbender would probably be screwed

Edited on 08/20/2006 6:02pm
    Edited 3 total times.

Taang_Forever

[14]Aug 21, 2006
    Hehe... the magnetic field thing just came to me yesterday.

Maybe the whole see-through-vibrations thing doesn't just go for earthbenders, for for everyone? It could be possible. Only the other ones don't have a magnetic field, or maybe they do, just a different one. They COULD be trying to bend at all times, and that's how they could sense their own element coming at them. But that sensing would be limited to the bender's element.

Songoftheskies

[15]Aug 21, 2006
    F1ames wrote:

neverbeenpinker wrote:

i think firebenders might be able to feel heat coming toward them, and airbenders might be able to sense air speed changing, for example, when a speeding car passes you, you can feel the wind coming at you, but a waterbender would probably be screwed

Waterbenders could probably feel the disturbance in the water vapor in the air(for a master) and "feel" where a person is based on the water in their body. Airbenders wouldn't really have a problem, because they would feel in the same way Toph doesin the ground: through vibrations in the air.

Hoshie26

[16]Aug 21, 2006
    Songoftheskies wrote:
    F1ames wrote:

neverbeenpinker wrote:

Waterbenders could probably feel the disturbance in the water vapor in the air(for a master) and "feel" where a person is based on the water in their body. Airbenders wouldn't really have a problem, because they would feel in the same way Toph doesin the ground: through vibrations in the air.

yeah.poor firebenders would be blind.And good theory Taang_Forever.