We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

question about the water tribe

jakelong_5

[1]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 9

why are they so tanned if they live in the south pole? its kinda been bugging me for a while cause they live in the snow and then the other nations basically live in the dessert and they are really white. does anybody knowthe answer to this?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

captaintombatch

[2]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 32
    Well, they made the Northern and Southern water tribes similar to the native people that live near the North and South poles of the Earth. The natives there are naturally darker-skinned. Why this is, I have no idea, but that's why the people of the water tribes are naturally darker.

isabelwhatx

[3]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 14
    Go here next time you have a question like this

KikitheFiend

[4]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 14
    jakelong_5 wrote:

why are they so tanned if they live in the south pole? its kinda been bugging me for a while cause they live in the snow and then the other nations basically live in the dessert and they are really white. does anybody knowthe answer to this?

Hmmm... I'll try to answer in simple way.... Skin colour is affected by the level of melanin produced in the skin. The higher the levels, the darker the skin. UV rays affect the level produced and help in the production of vitamin D. Despite having poor levels of sunlight exposure, Inuits have retained their relatively dark skin. This can be explained by the fact that their traditional fish-based diet provides plenty of vitamin D.

I'm not sure if that really cleared it up but I'm too tired to go into greater detail.

jakelong_5

[5]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 9
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Go here next time you have a question like this
    sorry i'm new to the forums