We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

No Science in Magic Worlds

phoenixfirework

[1]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 21
    Why is it that there's no advanced technology in world's with magic? There maybe some fictional world that uses advanced technology and is a magical world, but I don't know.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cisalpine

[2]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 9

??because (just an example) waving your hands around to hit people with water pales in comparison once people develop guns.

So bending would be nigh useless except as entertainment.

And that's no fun.

But in a broader sense of fantasy in general... well, I don't know.

xxshady

[3]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 1
    Well there are these books called

The Bartimeaus Trilogy (great books btw!)

That have magicians in our modern day world.

phoenixfirework

[4]Aug 1, 2006

xxshady wrote:
    Well there are these books called

The Bartimeaus Trilogy (great books btw!)

That have magicians in our modern day world.

Yeah, but there's no advanced technology. And in Book 3, Nathaniel mentioned that neon lights were a new invention, so it can't be in mondern days.

cisalpine

[5]Aug 1, 2006

Right... those.

Those??were really??good.

Huh.

hrm....

well, forget it then.

dumbTVnut

[6]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 3
    Because technology is magic and vise versa. Technology allow us to do things beyond our human physical limits, magic (in theory) does the same thing, why develop a technology when you have magic?

Labousky22

[7]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 10
    Also, advanced technology and magic don't really mix. People used to believe in magic when they couldn't explain things with reason, but as technology and knowledge advances, everything seems more rational and explainable. That's why magic is associated with the past, like wizards during the middle ages. Technology is starting to do many things that people used to imagine magic could be used for.

Colonel_Brian

[8]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 12
    Well I'm not really sure on ow to answer the question but who really knows on this they use bending and they have warships and stuff.

Mwezi383

[9]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 7
    Is bending really "magic?"

Anyway, if you look at the series, they seem to be taking place pretty far in the past, so it makes sense that technological advances were limited. Consider that Europe didn't exactly encourage science for several centuries, creating a world even less advanced then that of Avatar.

Point, they just havn't developed that far yet.

phoenixfirework

[10]Aug 1, 2006
    Good point, but what about other magical worlds?

Mwezi383

[11]Aug 1, 2006
    ...No idea. I'm not that big on fantasy.
    Edited on 08/01/2006 7:55pm

KingAtticus

[12]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 11
    This is completely off the topic, but there is this game called Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube. Basically 4000 years before the story there was a war between these two nations, Sylvarant and Tethe'alla, in which they had something called magitechnology, the combination of science and sorcery capable of producing great amounts of destruction rivaling an atomic bomb. However it had its good uses as well, such as aviation and healing wounds.

After the war, the land's energy, mana, was almost used up and the war ended with the sacrifice of a man who was able to prevent the world's destruction. To save what was left, he split the two nations into two seperate worlds, and technology had basically dropped down to a level comparable to before the Industrial Revolution. But here's the catch: one world always flourished but the other didn't. So one world had semi-advanced, post-IR technology while the other didn't, but both still had the ability to use magic.

...oh... I'm sorry for making everybody read that, but I thought I'd make a good point showing it's not always the case of world's with magic to be technologically declined.

soccerdawg76

[13]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 18

KingAtticus wrote:
    This is completely off the topic, but there is this game called Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube. Basically 4000 years before the story there was a war between these two nations, Sylvarant and Tethe'alla, in which they had something called magitechnology, the combination of science and sorcery capable of producing great amounts of destruction rivaling an atomic bomb. However it had its good uses as well, such as aviation and healing wounds. After the war, the land's energy, mana, was almost used up and the war ended with the sacrifice of a man who was able to prevent the world's destruction. To save what was left, he split the two nations into two seperate worlds, and technology had basically dropped down to a level comparable to before the Industrial Revolution. But here's the catch: one world always flourished but the other didn't. So one world had semi-advanced, post-IR technology while the other didn't, but both still had the ability to use magic. ...oh... I'm sorry for making everybody read that, but I thought I'd make a good point showing it's not always the case of world's with magic to be technologically declined.

WHAT?!

Pharmacopoeia

[14]Aug 1, 2006
    soccerdawg76 wrote:

KingAtticus wrote:
    This is completely off the topic, but there is this game called Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube. Basically 4000 years before the story there was a war between these two nations, Sylvarant and Tethe'alla, in which they had something called magitechnology, the combination of science and sorcery capable of producing great amounts of destruction rivaling an atomic bomb. However it had its good uses as well, such as aviation and healing wounds. After the war, the land's energy, mana, was almost used up and the war ended with the sacrifice of a man who was able to prevent the world's destruction. To save what was left, he split the two nations into two seperate worlds, and technology had basically dropped down to a level comparable to before the Industrial Revolution. But here's the catch: one world always flourished but the other didn't. So one world had semi-advanced, post-IR technology while the other didn't, but both still had the ability to use magic. ...oh... I'm sorry for making everybody read that, but I thought I'd make a good point showing it's not always the case of world's with magic to be technologically declined.

WHAT?!

Ditto

Colonel_Brian

[15]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 12
    Pharmacopoeia wrote:
    soccerdawg76 wrote:

KingAtticus wrote:

WHAT?!

Ditto

I'll second that

KingAtticus

[16]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 11
    The guy who made this topic asked why do worlds with magic never have advanced technology. I answered with an example from a completely different source to answer him. Although I don't know what magic he's talking about really. There isn't any in Avatar. If he's talking about the bending styles, it's not magic. It's the kinetic ability to combine a certain element to a fighting style.

DeGeorgetown

[17]Aug 2, 2006
    I love Tales of Symphonia, it's a great game!

Magicalboy

[18]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 28

do you REALLLY want to see science in every kind of the show? to me, it destroys the fantasy elements of Avatar

Breakflame

[19]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 8
    The two are separated for a reason. The only way a story would work very well would be in a show where there's a war between Magic and Technology(I believe a few of Miyazaki's anime movies touch on the subject. Check out Miyazaki's movies. Awesome stuff). Technology is better. Magic is cool and all, but once you can pull a trigger and the guys dead, you don't need to shoot short-range fire attacks or throw water at each other. Plus its a lot for the creators to keep up with. Now Avatar has some science and Technology(I.E. the Fire nation) but its still a pretty touchy subject.

Short version, Technology and Magic does not mix very well. It's not like peanut butter and chocolate(two great tastes that taste great together). its more like frogs and lawnmowers(inside joke. thing is. they don't mix well)

Gantros

[20]Aug 2, 2006
    "Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic," - Arthur C. Clarke