We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

'New' Legend of the Dragon series a blatant Avatar clone

Gantros

[1]Aug 16, 2006
    • level: 7

I watched the pilot on Jetix on and off last Monday, and I found a lot of the themes almost blatant rip offs of Avatar:

1.) the Golden Dragon (Avatar) gains the strength and knkowledge of the previous Dragons

2.) The new Golden Dragon is named Ang (this is not a typo), and has a twin sister named Lin, a poorly veiled attmept at Yin and Yang.

The Golden Dragon's purpose is to maintain balance between the yin and yang...blah blah blah

If you want the background on what serves as a story, here's the link http://www.legendofthedragon.com/

This series is a mish mash of Avatar, Xiaolin Showdown, and Jackie Chan Adventures, and the animation has that??budget look to it, something I haven't seen since DiC's Double Dragon

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

phoenixfirework

[2]Aug 16, 2006
    • level: 21
    This is a total rip off, only it will NEVER be as good or as popular as Avatar.

Airawende

[3]Aug 16, 2006
    • level: 6
    *sigh* Why do they even try?!

sly4me

[4]Aug 16, 2006
    • level: 26
    lol! how lame.

Airawende

[5]Aug 16, 2006
    • level: 6
    It's like, couldn't they be subtle about it?! C'mon! The main character's name is Ang!!

Pharmacopoeia

[6]Aug 16, 2006
    • level: 9
    It is pretty sad.

soccerdawg76

[7]Aug 16, 2006
    • level: 18
    Ang? What's with that?

MagicV

[8]Aug 16, 2006
    • level: 3
    Yup, it's totally a mish mash of Avatar, Xiaolin Showdown, and Jackie Chan Adventures. I mean come one, Ang?! Then theres the powers of the zodiac. Total JCA rip off! Heh, I wonder how long it'll last.

Eman5805

[9]Aug 16, 2006
    • level: 14
    damn...well Jetix is nothing but a channel of castaway TV shows no one else with half a brain would air *cough* Dragon Booster *cough*

phoenixfirework

[10]Aug 16, 2006
    • level: 21

soccerdawg76 wrote:
    Ang? What's with that?

The Golden Dragon, the rip off of Aang and star of this lame show.

pooldude256

[11]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 38
    phoenixfirework wrote:
    soccerdawg76 wrote:
    Ang? What's with that?

The Golden Dragon, the rip off of Aang and star of this lame show.

1) It's not on Nickelodeon, so most people won't even hear about it.

2) Avatar has Iroh. No cartoon clone will ever match Avatar if it doesn't have an Iroh. Or a Sokka. Or a Jun or an Azula Or a Zhao

3) It takes roughly $1 million to produce. I doubt Disney/Jetix would put up that kind of cash to produce a cartoon, so it will be far less quality writing, animation, etc. I can tell you that without even watching an episode.

jdc143

[12]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 3
    dose anyone think this is a new gimic for tv ( kung fu theamed cartoons/anime) like sitcoms or reality shows

Gantros

[13]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 7
    it's the band wagon mentality, Avatar is a big hit, so they produce a similar show under a lower budget, taking elements from other, similar shows. This is a common strategy. If Disney really wanted to compete with Avatar, they'd bring back Gargoyles.

MissMahina

[14]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 1
    I wouldn't be nearly as disturbed as I am by this show if it weren't for the character designs. The Golden Dragon? EW.

EW. EW. EW.

Now I will concede that the fact that the main character is named Ang is a little tasteless, but I don't think that anything else in the show so far is a direct rip-off of Avatar or Jackie Chan. A lot of shows base their stories on the power of the Zodiac or the concept of Yin and Yang. It's quite common in anime. The Zodiac and Yin and Yang are ancient Asian philosophies, and the last time I checked, Avatar did not have a patent on them. Please accept the fact that Avatar is not the first show to center around the theme of maintaining balance in the world. The whole "gaining the strength and knowlege of the previous Golden Dragons"...I don't know. I need a minute or two to think of another show with that.

At any rate, I do think that the Legend of the Dragon is intended to compete with Avatar. Both are anime-inspired epic tales with lots of magic and martial arts action. I just don't think that Legend of the Dragon is a complete rip-off.

(On my personal soapbox, here's a better example of two shows that are suspiciously similar: Juniper Lee and American Dragon. Both feature Asian American teen heros balancing a double life as ordinary students and protectors of a secret magical community with the aid of their talking dog sidekicks. THAT'S what you call possible plagiarism by one party or the other.)

Edited on 08/17/2006 5:16am
    Edited 2 total times.

Hoshie26

[15]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 4
    Well still it wont even come close to being as good as avatar so why worry?And like they say "dont knock it till you try it".when they avertised ATLA i thought o great another stupid show but here i am today and i LOVE it.i will never love another show(unless the same people make another show maby)and if i love another show it wont be as much as avatar.not even close.so sit back.relax.and save your energy for "the secret of the firenation".your gonna need it.

JasonG2006

[16]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 9
    maybe alot of Jetix's viewer who hate Goldren Dragon will cross over to the Avatar side....

Hoshie26

[17]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 4
    Yes!Yes!Join us.Join us.Join us.

Runty_Grunty

[18]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 11
    You know, with all those ripoffs, I'm surprised Jetix hasn't been sued yet by Nickelodeon. Maybe someone should tip them off...

Eman5805

[19]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 14

Gantros wrote:
    it's the band wagon mentality, Avatar is a big hit, so they produce a similar show under a lower budget, taking elements from other, similar shows. This is a common strategy. If Disney really wanted to compete with Avatar, they'd bring back Gargoyles.

Gargoyles...that brings back some good memories...

metalcurtainrod

[20]Aug 17, 2006
    • level: 10
    I've never seen that cartoon before, but from what I've heard on its website it doesn't seem like its trying to copy avatar.

Yeah, its main charecter is named Ang. So what?

Its about the chinese zodiac, and the charecters have fighting skills that go along with the year they were born in.

The golden dragon is nothing like an avatar. It doesn't have all the powers of the elements, nor is it the same person reincarnated. And a person who has abilities or status unlike anybody else has been used in cartoons other than avatar before.

And FYI, Avatar didn't invent the idea of yin and yang. Also, yin and yang was only a big part of the show in the Siege of the North 1 and 2.

The cartoon seems to be taking place in modern times, and there is no nation trying to take over the world, only some power-hundry guy that is trying to take over the world, an idea which has been used in countless cartoons, and will be in countless more.

Also, the girls name is Ling, not Lin.