We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

My Conspiracy Theory!

NotAJock2Day

[1]Aug 5, 2006
    • level: 2

Hey all, I'm an avid Avatar watcher and a person who loves twists in storylines. After hearing the introduction to the show so many times something didn't smell right. The writers of the show seem like good writers, but the introduction seems a little bit two straight forward.

Four nations living in harmony, one goes crazy and attacks? Hm. There has to be some trigger for why the??Fire Nation attacked.??Sozen's Comet started the war, according to records but... somehow I think the Fire Nation did not make the first strike, especially with the new "darkest day" information where firebenders lose their powers during an eclipse. Here's my basic theory:

The four nations did live relatively peacefully, but the Earth and Fire Kingdoms were the most prosperous. In fact, I believe there was some sort of power struggle between them and they were evenly matched, both politically and on a military level.??An earth kingdom ruler??traveled??to the library, where he learned of the firebenders' weakness. They struck up propoganda against the Fire Nation and recruited soldiers??from other nations to attack (probably not many??Air Benders but anyway) with the knowledge they could probably take them down in a day and seize the position as the??most powerful nation (still speaking of the Earth Nation as the aggressive one). They launched the attack on the darkest day and the fire nation suffered huge casualties. Fire Lord Sozen looked down on his defeated soldiers, the other nations that betrayed him, and his powerlessness without the sun. Crying out in rage, Sozen's comet came and granted Sozen and what was left of his army enough power to push back the advancing army and launch a war starting attack for revenge. So basically, Sozen began the war to get back at the other nations for possibly breaking a peace treaty and his successors continued his work, getting more and more corrupted over time. The Earth Kingdom and other nations involved agreed to make it seem like the Fire Nation made the first aggressive??move, thus perserving their honor in history??and leaving their descendents to unknowingly??fix the mistake they??made.

Long, but??I think it's somewhat??viable for a big twist in the storyline. Thoughts?

Edited on 08/05/2006 11:37am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Californiaroll

[2]Aug 5, 2006
    • level: 1
    I remember reading somewhere on Nick's website that Fire Lord Sozen was always aggrresive and ambitious, held in check only by Avatar Roku. So once the avatar dissappeared, the Fire Nation attacked. But an interesting theory non the less.

Airawende

[3]Aug 5, 2006
    • level: 6
    Hmmm...I always chalked it up to the fact that firebenders (like Sozen) share many of the same qualities as fire. Fire is ruthless, fire is consuming, fire is dominating (the Chinese symbols in the beginning of the show actually translate to something like that). So I just always figured that since Sozen was like fire, he did as fire does, and wanted to dominate and consume.??An interesting theory, I'll be thinking about it for a while??

the_yssa

[4]Aug 5, 2006
    • level: 3
    That's exactly what I think!! Man, great minds do think a like!

Colonel_Brian

[5]Aug 5, 2006
    • level: 12
    They sure do Yssa and good theory or speculation the FN always seemed have a more personal record with the EK.

WKWARRIOR

[6]Aug 5, 2006
    • level: 2
    If u read the sight you'll see that the overall tradition of each nation is much like there element.?? The people of the fire nation were always agressive, and the Earth Kingdom is more of a defensive nation, they wait within there stone walls.?? I dont theink the EK would ever mount an agressive strike, that's more fire nation style.

FreakishChild

[7]Aug 5, 2006
    • level: 15

WKWARRIOR wrote:
    If u read the sight you'll see that the overall tradition of each nation is much like there element. The people of the fire nation were always agressive, and the Earth Kingdom is more of a defensive nation, they wait within there stone walls. I dont theink the EK would ever mount an agressive strike, that's more fire nation style.

Correct, they wait and listen to strike.

Colonel_Brian

[8]Aug 5, 2006
    Well most people hide at Ba-Sing-Se the safest place for the moment but I want to see more of the wars begaining weknow Sozin was taking advantange of Roku's absents and he had 12 years to build his firebending army to prepare for the comet so after Aang's disaperance which might have been thought that they killed him in the FN attack so they use the come and made a deadly first strike to the others.

FreakishChild

[9]Aug 5, 2006
    • level: 15
    You have a well thought out theory here at the very least, NotAJoke. I'd enjoy seeing more ideas from you.

Wandering_Ghost

[10]Aug 5, 2006

Hmm...I agree with most of it, something big happened on the darkest day, but that day wasn't right before the war. It seems like it happened long before the war, and molded the Fire Nation into an aggressive force. Also, the Earth Kingdom were the last to be attacked. If they were the reason for the Fire Nations fear of the darkest day, wouldn't they be the first to go?

Could it not be that the Darkest day did more then impact the Fire Nation? The Fire Nation and Water tribe would be fighting via Naval power, so it makes sense to strike them down quickly. After all the biggest threat to islands are strong Navy's. But why the air nomads? The ones who "detached themselves from worldly concerns and found peace and freedom". They should have been the Fire Nations last concern, they didn't have an army, and were against fighting.?? I think they may be the force the theory is looking for.??

The Air Nomads may once have been a true nation, have a lot of land, maybe even most of the Islands the Fire Nation is on.?? What if the Air Nomads or a group within them attacked the Fire Nation.?? We saw how fire and air reacted in the Bato fight, it was explosive and deadly to both.?? Could it be that after the fight, both groups were so damaged that they were forever changed??? FN becomes aggressive and violent towards the other nations out of fear of being attacked again, and the AN leave most of their land and retreat into the sky, adopting a pacifist lifestyle.??

Then hundreds of years later, Sozin starts his war, and eliminated the AN in revenge.??

The darkest day seems to be saying their is more to the war then we know, and there had to have been other wars before this one, wars that may have shaped the nations, and changed how they acted towards eachother.??

Colonel_Brian

[11]Aug 5, 2006
    That was good but maybe the next few episodes will give us clues or an idea of that "dark day".

Hoshie26

[12]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 4
    Well the FN attacked the AN because they wanted the avatar.They knew the next one would be a airbender so you know...think about it...

sadist_activst

[13]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 14
    The name Sozen, and Kozen are a lot alike.

Taang_Forever

[14]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 9

I don't know. An eclipse doesn't last for very long. Maybe a few minutes or so. How much damage could the other nations do in shuch a short time?

Edit: Well, the complete and TOTAL eclipse only lasts a few minutes, but overall a solar eclipse lasts a couple of hours, give or take a few minutes.

Edited on 08/10/2006 2:18pm

Wandering_Ghost

[15]Aug 10, 2006

Hoshie26 wrote:
    Well the FN attacked the AN because they wanted the avatar.They knew the next one would be a airbender so you know...think about it...

But no reasonable commander would devote so much force to eliminating one kid. Remember, they wiped out every Air Nomad, Genocide like that takes a lot of force, not to mention that because all the temples are in the mountains, they are very easy to defend.

The temples were also scattered across the planet, so the Fire Nation would have to have massive supply lines or a complex chain of supply stops to keep supplies moving to the troops fighting the Air Nomads.??

metalcurtainrod

[16]Aug 10, 2006
    • level: 10
    I've always thought that the Fire Nation didn't start all this, so I hope this theory comes true.

Colonel_Brian

[17]Aug 17, 2006
    Taang_Forever wrote:

I don't know. An eclipse doesn't last for very long. Maybe a few minutes or so. How much damage could the other nations do in shuch a short time?

Edit: Well, the complete and TOTAL eclipse only lasts a few minutes, but overall a solar eclipse lasts a couple of hours, give or take a few minutes.

Well it's just an eclipse but there only ridding the western Earth Kingdom of the FN when there defences are down.

Taang_Forever

[18]Aug 18, 2006
    • level: 9
    I still say a few minutes is not enough for the earthnation to attack the fire nation. Even if they get the info super early and they go to the firenation right away, they'd have to go against the full forces of the fire nation to get through their outer perimeter if they wanna get to the core when the eclipse starts. And if they wait for the eclipse to start before they start making their way through, it will be easy to get in, but by the time they're in the core of the fire nation, they're gonna be in the most dangerous waters, and there will be no more eclipse.

Hoshie26

[19]Aug 18, 2006
    • level: 4
    I still think they wanted the avatar dead or alive.Even if Aang could only AB he could go into the avatar state and maby the FN thought that the AN might join the war?They would be hard to fight because WB you just take them away from water.Same with EB and earth.

Songoftheskies

[20]Aug 19, 2006
    • level: 6
    I think it's less of defeating the whole fire nation then wiping out the army that is seiging Ba Sing Se.