We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

If you have issues with the casting

gilvatar

[21]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 17
    Japanthewoman wrote:

Heh, thanks. Yes, I'm a decade ahead. So I'm still quite young and idealistic but, hey, that's what being young is about. Live and learn.

Oh, man. Saying I'm/we're fighting "Hollywood" makes me sound like Don Quixote, haha. I guess we are in a way but I assure you the efforts are concentrated on just this one studio and just this one movie. I'm sure after we see what the result of all this will be many will move on while others may continue to fight for equality and what they beieve in. It brings me down a little to think about it. As always, only time will tell.

I guess I should let this thread die since there doesn't seem to be much support here. I'm not calling anyone names, I'm just saying the general feeling I get from people here is apathy on this issue. I feel my passions would be wasted here. There is a probelm with the status quo so I am arguing points beyond "just a movie." I am glad, though, that I helped to prove there are rational people against this movie. But don't be surprised if I linger around here and find opportunities to bring it up anyway.

Don't sweat it. It's not u it's just that we've already had this topic and it was run by irrational people w/ no points orsupportive evidence.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Japanthewoman

[22]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 6

Well I'd like to remedy that. I am not just an irrational fan that wants to get my way for this movie with no good evidence to support my points.

Please, PLEASE take a little time to read some of material I provide before you write me of as another digruntled fan. One should consider both sides of the argument before making your decisions and it seems like the side I am on was not conveyed very well initially.

I looked through the movie discussion thread and it seems not one of these people before me mentioned http://aang-aint-white.livejournal.com/ What any one before was laking in eloquence, this site makes up for it. There is also http://www.racebending.com/ which is a little more direct if reading through the LJ posts is not appealing. All it takes is a little reading up on the issue to figure out if one really does think it's not a big deal and it is just a movie or to realize that the majority of us are fighting for something beyond just this movie.

I'll offer one more reading selection since this one is the one that changed my mind. Derek Kirk Kim's blog (I's a little long so have about 10 minutes willing to commit to reading it) It's one of the many links availabe on racebending.com's collection of news stories about this issue. You can see this is not the petty little thing it sounds as though my predecessors made it out to be.

ranger8060

[23]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 7
    Well you guys are stereotyping when you mention an Asian's eyes and immediatly decide that that person is Asian.

aim-ee

[24]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 4
    As with any movie, plenty of people will have issues and complaints. What set Avatar apart from the other shows out there was it's huge supportive fan base, and I think that regardless of your issues with the cast/director/whatever, people should go out there and see the movie if only to support Avatar. It may be bad, but i think it's our job as fans to stop whining, and give the movie a shot. We need to trust the creators, and trust that they won't totally deface avatars name. It's our love for the story that got it this far, and we should be proud of the devotion of our fellow fans, and keep that devotion regardless of our qualms with the casting director or whoever.

gilvatar

[25]Mar 22, 2009
    aim-ee wrote:
    As with any movie, plenty of people will have issues and complaints. What set Avatar apart from the other shows out there was it's huge supportive fan base, and I think that regardless of your issues with the cast/director/whatever, people should go out there and see the movie if only to support Avatar. It may be bad, but i think it's our job as fans to stop whining, and give the movie a shot. We need to trust the creators, and trust that they won't totally deface avatars name. It's our love for the story that got it this far, and we should be proud of the devotion of our fellow fans, and keep that devotion regardless of our qualms with the casting director or whoever.
    true. We've withstood long hiatuses, suspensfull season endings w/ about a year long wait for the next season, screwed up time scheduals, and network neglect. Wosrt case scenario, we can let our brains rot for 2+ hours in the name or avatar.

Rock_Goddess_18

[26]Mar 23, 2009

As of late I have no issues wioth any of the casting. I like the way the live-action movie is turning out so far. Good actor/actress choices. So if there is gonna be a movie, and the first one is gonna be based on book one only, are there gonna be two future movies featuring the other two books to complete the whole series stroyline? They are doing it again! Only with a twist, the second time is gonna be in movies and in live-action rather then be on tv in animation.

Wait now, what's going on here about you guys talking about Zuko's actor and all of this asian and darker skin tone topics?

AllieAllie

[27]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 22

Some people are upset that Dev Patel will be playing Zuko since he doesn't have the same skin tone as his character, and are annoyed with the other people casted for the same reason. They think that the producers were bieng racist with the movie and that they weren't staying true to the Asian culture in the show since the cast was entirely white until Dev Patel was casted. So, there have been websites and threads all about this and people have been arguing over whether or not this was the case. I personally don't think it matters who plays the characters as long as whoever does portrays them well.

Edited on 03/24/2009 12:10pm

Falcondude123

[28]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 10
    Japanthewoman wrote:
    I guess I should let this thread die since there doesn't seem to be much support here. I'm not calling anyone names, I'm just saying the general feeling I get from people here is apathy on this issue. I feel my passions would be wasted here.p>

Perhaps it's not so much apathy(being a lack of caring enough to do anything) as it is a genuine feeling that you are wrong(or atleast overzealous) about this particular issue.

0.0???

shadowysea07

[29]Mar 25, 2009
    • level: 25
    AllieAllie wrote:

Some people are upset that Dev Patel will be playing Zuko since he doesn't have the same skin tone as his character, and are annoyed with the other people casted for the same reason. They think that the producers were bieng racist with the movie and that they weren't staying true to the Asian culture in the show since the cast was entirely white until Dev Patel was casted. So, there have been websites and threads all about this and people have been arguing over whether or not this was the case. I personally don't think it matters who plays the characters as long as whoever does portrays them well.

its mostly cuz they pretty much admitted that jesse was the wrong choice and recast him. by admitting that they pretty much admitted they don't know what their doing. the movie was going to be lame the second they decided to make it live action. they would of been better off as an animated movie. lord knows if they will even try to follow the plot of avatar. i already expected it to be as lame as the dbz movie coming out. live action movies based on cartoons always fail. don't have high expectations for it cuz it will fail just as bad as the dbz movie if not worse.

AllieAllie

[30]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 22
    shadowysea07 wrote:
    AllieAllie wrote:

its mostly cuz they pretty much admitted that jesse was the wrong choice and recast him. by admitting that they pretty much admitted they don't know what their doing. the movie was going to be lame the second they decided to make it live action. they would of been better off as an animated movie. lord knows if they will even try to follow the plot of avatar. i already expected it to be as lame as the dbz movie coming out. live action movies based on cartoons always fail. don't have high expectations for it cuz it will fail just as bad as the dbz movie if not worse.

Well, I've seen who is working on the Avatar movie, and there are some good actors for the characters. And I believe Shayamalan when he says he's going to stick to the story as much as possible; otherwise Bryke wouldn't have supported the producition of the movie. I'm not saying that it will be amazing, but it can't be as bad as the dbz movie, where they are barely sticking to the plot or have any characters I'm familiar with.

vampking06

[31]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 7

Wow, this is way more civil than the IMDb boards. Seriously go check it out. It's like being in the trenches of WWI over there. I think I may star comming over here to discuss the movie without being eaten alive from now on.

Now I do have my complaints about the casting and I do realize that East Asians aren't being fully represented (btw, the gal playing Suki is Asian-ish) but is that a reason to boycott/ bash the movie? No. Will I be a racist for seeing it anyway? Definately not. I am a simple Avatar fan and even if this movie flops I will still be there to see it and judge it for myself. And I am anxiously awaiting the teaser trailer that should be due out this Thanksgiving.

And to all the flamers out there against the movie you two options: see it or don't. Same as any other movie out there.

Water78

[32]Mar 28, 2009
    • level: 47
    there is a thread for the film already