We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Axrendale's new and improved Historical Comparisons thread - I AM BACK!!!!!

Axrendale

[1]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 10

Yes, it is I. Axrendale. Fanatical Avatard, Star Wars freak, Harry Potter Fan, Lord of the Rings enthusiast. Caesarian Historian. Kataang shipper. Supreme egotist. And the biggest fan/lover of Azula this side of the next universe (anyone who even considers the possibility of their love of Azula being greater than mine - I'll take you in an Agni Kai - right here, right now:twisted. I'm also a relaxed, friendly, willing-to-give-almost-anyone-a-go kind of guy who most people would agree is okay to have around

For a long time I have been away, enjoying a relaxing holiday on the Refuge, pwning in an RPG there, and working my way into a couple of fanfic projects. But no more. I'm back and I'm here to stay.

I've come back for two reasons: I'm here to eat Fire-flakes, and to kick ass. And I'm all out of Fire-flakes

So lets get right down to business - the purpose of this thread.

For those who have not seen the original, the purpose of this thread is to draw comparisons between the world of Avatar, and our own world history. But we shouldn't just stop there. Superficial surface similarites accomplish nothing. What we are after here are much deeper comparisons that go beyond surafce looks - sometimes this may mean looking at things in very different ways - that is what history can be all about.

I hear you scoff - "History?!!!", you say. "What could we possibly gain out of more history lessons?!! And how the heck does this relate to Avatar?!!"

It relates in ways that are truly fascinating to regard indeed.

Over the next few days, I'll be putting up no small number of comparisons that many may find both astonishing and meaningful. Come, visit this thread over the next few days, and learn how the key to understanding Azula's insanity is understanding that of Chinese Emperor Qin Shi Huang Di, while the key to understanding her combat defeats is understanding those of French Emperor Napoleon Bonapart. Read about how Julius Caesar could have been living Aang's life, and might as well have been the same person at times. Find out that the Order of the White Lotus did indeed exist, and that they really did resist an invading Empire ruled by a man with golden eyes and a beard. Discover that the War of Avatar could almost have been based upon a combination of the 100 Years War and the Warring States Period. Marvel at the similarities between the Dai Lee and the Praetorian Guard. Note that while Ba Sing Se may have been based upon the Forbidden City, it bears a far stronger similarity to Constantinople and Troy.

That is merely the tip of the iceburg. This is not a thread designed merely to provoke some interest, a game about finding similarities. This is about using one known source to come to a greater understanding about something else. And if this thread can inspire a greater interest in history amongst anyone, then I will consider it a success.

You can expect to see much more from me in the future. Threads about Azula, Shipping Wars, Analysis of Avatar - you can expect to see it all Anyone struggling with a war-based RPG? The RPG players of the Refuge will testify that I am unvanquished, without peer, and always willing to give advice

Alea iacta est!

Edited on 11/26/2008 3:40pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spazdog

[2]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 7
    well come back

Spazdog

[3]Nov 25, 2008
    the funny thing is i actual remember studying all that stuff during my history courses over the span of two years at college. I just forgot about them, It been while since I did history so its understandable.

gilvatar

[4]Nov 26, 2008
    • level: 17
    Is it ok that I don't care abotu that history crap but i;m just here to say hi & u missed a feww chapters?

libraman_92

[5]Nov 26, 2008
    good luck Spazdog and Axrendale in your hard, hard, painstaking working in undoing the damage to the Fire Nation I have done

isabelwhatx

[6]Nov 26, 2008
    • level: 14

You need your own thread to come back, huh? *whacks Ax on the head*

Axrendale

[7]Nov 26, 2008
    It's your fault for encouraging me to have such a high opinion of myself

Spazdog

[8]Nov 26, 2008

Axrendale wrote:

good lord, and Lib I am going take you down someway some how.

isabelwhatx

[9]Nov 27, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

Oh please Stop trying to blame this on me.

libraman_92

[10]Nov 27, 2008
    Spazdog wrote:

Axrendale wrote:

good luck Outside of the RPG, Spazdog, you and I could very well be friends.

Spazdog

[11]Nov 27, 2008
    libraman_92 wrote:
    Spazdog wrote:

Axrendale wrote:

good luck Outside of the RPG, Spazdog, you and I could very well be friends.

I would like that, loll

libraman_92

[12]Nov 27, 2008
    yep

But still, Spazdog, you can't fight me now. Maybe with Ax, though...

Spazdog

[13]Nov 27, 2008

libraman_92 wrote:
    yep But still, Spazdog, you can't fight me now. Maybe with Ax, though...

hmm we will see

libraman_92

[14]Nov 28, 2008
    Spazdog wrote:

libraman_92 wrote:
    yep But still, Spazdog, you can't fight me now. Maybe with Ax, though...

hmm we will see

but your nation AND Capital City are in ruins, your soldiers will soon go unfed...

Hm, I suppose you'll thank me for the next thing I'm doing.

Water78

[15]Nov 30, 2008
    • level: 47
    yah...

ross93

[16]Nov 30, 2008
    well axe you make quite the impression so discreete but anyways who was it who encouraged you to come back? ............

Axrendale

[17]Nov 30, 2008
    The thing that made me come back at this particular time was the DoD elections. But I'd been meaning to make a return for some time.

ross93

[18]Dec 1, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:
    The thing that made me come back at this particular time was the DoD elections. But I'd been meaning to make a return for some time.
    k lol.

sonjayRJskillz

[19]Dec 1, 2008
    • level: 5
    Axrendale wrote:

Yes, it is I. Axrendale. Fanatical Avatard, Star Wars freak, Harry Potter Fan, Lord of the Rings enthusiast. Caesarian Historian. Kataang shipper. Supreme egotist. And the biggest fan/lover of Azula this side of the next universe (anyone who even considers the possibility of their love of Azula being greater than mine - I'll take you in an Agni Kai - right here, right now:twisted. I'm also a relaxed, friendly, willing-to-give-almost-anyone-a-go kind of guy who most people would agree is okay to have around

For a long time I have been away, enjoying a relaxing holiday on the Refuge, pwning in an RPG there, and working my way into a couple of fanfic projects. But no more. I'm back and I'm here to stay.

I've come back for two reasons: I'm here to eat Fire-flakes, and to kick ass. And I'm all out of Fire-flakes

So lets get right down to business - the purpose of this thread.

For those who have not seen the original, the purpose of this thread is to draw comparisons between the world of Avatar, and our own world history. But we shouldn't just stop there. Superficial surface similarites accomplish nothing. What we are after here are much deeper comparisons that go beyond surafce looks - sometimes this may mean looking at things in very different ways - that is what history can be all about.

I hear you scoff - "History?!!!", you say. "What could we possibly gain out of more history lessons?!! And how the heck does this relate to Avatar?!!"

It relates in ways that are truly fascinating to regard indeed.

Over the next few days, I'll be putting up no small number of comparisons that many may find both astonishing and meaningful. Come, visit this thread over the next few days, and learn how the key to understanding Azula's insanity is understanding that of Chinese Emperor Qin Shi Huang Di, while the key to understanding her combat defeats is understanding those of French Emperor Napoleon Bonapart. Read about how Julius Caesar could have been living Aang's life, and might as well have been the same person at times. Find out that the Order of the White Lotus did indeed exist, and that they really did resist an invading Empire ruled by a man with golden eyes and a beard. Discover that the War of Avatar could almost have been based upon a combination of the 100 Years War and the Warring States Period. Marvel at the similarities between the Dai Lee and the Praetorian Guard. Note that while Ba Sing Se may have been based upon the Forbidden City, it bears a far stronger similarity to Constantinople and Troy.

That is merely the tip of the iceburg. This is not a thread designed merely to provoke some interest, a game about finding similarities. This is about using one known source to come to a greater understanding about something else. And if this thread can inspire a greater interest in history amongst anyone, then I will consider it a success.

You can expect to see much more from me in the future. Threads about Azula, Shipping Wars, Analysis of Avatar - you can expect to see it all Anyone struggling with a war-based RPG? The RPG players of the Refuge will testify that I am unvanquished, without peer, and always willing to give advice

Alea iacta est!