We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Avatar ranked at 35 on IGN's list of top 100 animated television series.

Jackson5050

[1]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 12

As the title says, Avatar was ranked as the 35th best animated television series by IGN. Considering this is an all-time list, that is a respectable ranking. It is enjoyable to witness Avatar receive the critical acclaim it deserves.

http://tv.ign.com/top-100-animated-tv-series/100.html

Edited on 01/23/2009 10:29pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ThisCrazyGuy

[3]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 8

Avatar deserves this. It IS among the greatest animations of ALL-TIME, and it has shockingly surpassed it's 6-11-year old demographic by miles, gaining teenagers and even adults as fans... I am happy with it's ranking.

EDIT: I knew shows like Simpsons, South Park, Futurama and Family Guy would be somewhere in the top 10.

I agree 90% with that list.

Edited on 01/26/2009 10:17am

Alpha1Niner

[4]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 10
    Ha! Avatar beat Naruto.

Good Top 10; Futurama, Family Guy, South Park, and The Simpsons, topping them all.

Nightmare_Fan17

[5]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 5
    This show rocks! So that's a pretty good ranking and proves that this is a good show. Anyone who doesn't like this show... well, I dunno what's wrong with them but I know it sure ain't right.

ranger8060

[6]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 7
    spongebo: 15..but it does have over 100 episodes

AllieAllie

[7]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 22
    Avatar IS one of the greatest cartoons of all time, its great to know that some one else agrees with us. #35 is a good spot for this show. The top ten choices are good too, I love the Simpsons and Family Guy
    Edited on 01/25/2009 12:55pm

SPDShadowRanger

[8]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 72
    LOL, The Smurfs.

DBZ is only at 78? It should at least be in the Top 50.

Sadly my Pokemon is only at 70.

Glad Death Note it there. There is no anime like that one. It is one of a kind.

Naruto is the Japanese Harry Potter? WTF?

The Top Ten: Eh. I don't like Beavis and Butthead or South Park. Plus, I like Futurama, but one of the Top 10? No. I also don't like the Simpsons.

Some of them make no sense though. Fosters? Johnny Bravo? Invader Zim? Other wise not a bad list, but the Top 10 is too comedy based.

captaintombatch

[9]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 32
    Yeah, it disappoints me too that Pokemon is so low on the list. Other than the Simpsons and maybe South Park it's one of the longest running animated TV series right now. Foster's is a great show, Johnny Bravo was great when it was new each week and I still watch it with great regularity on Boomerang. Invader Zim I can live without. DBZ used to be one of the best shows on television, but since they stopped making them, it's falling out of style.

shadowysea07

[10]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 25
    There are comic strips on that list an 2 shows that launched other shows like beavis and butthead. I also think its retarded bs that some of the most popular shows are behind the muppet babies. Um hello naruto is very popular and you even admit it is by saying its like harry potter. Dbz deathnote afro samurai heck even pokemon deserves a spot in front of speed racer. also where are one piece bleach blood + yuyuhakusho inuyasha ruroni kenshin heck even yugioh and digimon should be on there. I can at least be happy that they mention gundam wing.

MarryLarry

[11]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 11

shadowysea07 wrote:
    There are comic strips on that list an 2 shows that launched other shows like beavis and butthead. I also think its retarded bs that some of the most popular shows are behind the muppet babies. Um hello naruto is very popular and you even admit it is by saying its like harry potter. Dbz deathnote afro samurai heck even pokemon deserves a spot in front of speed racer. also where are one piece bleach blood + yuyuhakusho inuyasha ruroni kenshin heck even yugioh and digimon should be on there. I can at least be happy that they mention gundam wing.

The list isn't about popularity. It's quality and the influence the show has had on their generation and the animation industry, which explains why so many old-school classics like Speed Racer are placed high while shows like Pokemon, which are fads, get ranked lower.

20 years from now, the list will change drastically from predominantly pre-90s to post-90s' as the generations shift to the next, and all the shows that have inspired the current industry will be forgotten.

KingofSpades209

[12]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 11
    MarryLarry wrote:

shadowysea07 wrote:

The list isn't about popularity. It's quality and the influence the show has had on their generation and the animation industry, which explains why so many old-school classics like Speed Racer are placed high while shows like Pokemon, which are fads, get ranked lower.

20 years from now, the list will change drastically from predominantly pre-90s to post-90s' as the generations shift to the next, and all the shows that have inspired the current industry will be forgotten.

Can you explain what a "Fad" is?

FrigginGodess

[13]Jan 27, 2009
    KingofSpades209 wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

shadowysea07 wrote:

Things people like alot. Avatar, in my opinion, is a fad, in the sence.

confucioussayhi

[14]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 15
    FrigginGodess wrote:
    KingofSpades209 wrote:
    "Things people like alot" aren't neccesarily fads. That's a very broad definition. A fad is something that's popular for a short while, and when the wow runs out, everyone forgets it and shuns it as crap.

Avatar has a very devoted fanbase, as you whined about in your recent post on this forum. It's definitely not a fad.

FrigginGodess

[15]Jan 27, 2009
    confucioussayhi wrote:
    FrigginGodess wrote:
    KingofSpades209 wrote:
    "Things people like alot" aren't neccesarily fads. That's a very broad definition. A fad is something that's popular for a short while, and when the wow runs out, everyone forgets it and shuns it as crap.

Avatar has a very devoted fanbase, as you whined about in your recent post on this forum. It's definitely not a fad.

Devoted... hmm... does it mean arguing about stuff about a show that was over like, months ago?

To me, it dosne't wow me. But, still, I watch it because it's still a good show. But, nothing over it wows me. It just... well, msot of the time, it's boring, but, there are some good parts. Like, 55% of the show.

gilvatar

[16]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 17
    FrigginGodess wrote:
    confucioussayhi wrote:
    FrigginGodess wrote:
    KingofSpades209 wrote:

Devoted... hmm... does it mean arguing about stuff about a show that was over like, months ago?

To me, it dosne't wow me. But, still, I watch it because it's still a good show. But, nothing over it wows me. It just... well, msot of the time, it's boring, but, there are some good parts. Like, 55% of the show.
    Well, The Sscarlet letter didn't wow me but it's still a classic. Most of the people who've watched it felt the wow. Even my sister (who claims it's dumb) felt the wow. You wouldn't sit in the same room as me while I watch it w/ an awe-struck look on her face unless you felt the wow.

FrigginGodess

[17]Jan 27, 2009
    gilvatar wrote:
    FrigginGodess wrote:
    confucioussayhi wrote:
    FrigginGodess wrote:
    KingofSpades209 wrote:

Well, The Sscarlet letter didn't wow me but it's still a classic. Most of the people who've watched it felt the wow. Even my sister (who claims it's dumb) felt the wow. You wouldn't sit in the same room as me while I watch it w/ an awe-struck look on her face unless you felt the wow.

Felt the wow... okay.... felt the wow a couple times.... but, not TOO much.

shadowysea07

[18]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 25
    it feels like they just took very little time to think of shows to put on the list. BTW how is the new version of spiderman or starwars or sealab qualify as a quality or memorable show? Saint seiya sailor moon HunterXHunter one piece cyborg 009 and yugioh are just as popular and nearly as old as pokemon. Also it was retarded how the only show they bashed was naruto DX. oh heres some more charlie brown, jabberjaw, the herculoids, captain planet, initial D, shaman king, outlaw star secret squirrel yogi bear macross noien pumpkin scissors black lagoon beck
    Edited on 01/27/2009 9:10pm

confucioussayhi

[19]Jan 28, 2009
    • level: 15
    Charlie Brown and Yogi Bear weren't on the list? Those are classics! Wow.

FrigginGodess

[20]Jan 28, 2009
    confucioussayhi wrote:
    Charlie Brown and Yogi Bear weren't on the list? Those are classics! Wow.

see? Felt the wow just now.