We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

A:TLA Book One Collector's Edition DVD

BwayJ

[1]Mar 22, 2010
    • level: 8

To be released on June 22. This report, which includes cover art, says it will include "special features, an exclusive behind-the scenes documentary and a beautifully illustrated paperback book that provides a unique, insider's view of the amazing designs, storyboards, paintings and animation."

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Avatar-Airbender-Book-1-Collector-Edition/13499

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

_Flutterlight_

[2]Mar 22, 2010
    • level: 15
    I am excited for the new special features, (provided they're different than the old ones... the article said that the DVDs were pretty much the same thing as the first sets, just compacted and given pretty new box art.) but seriously, more DVDs? Really?

As much as I love Avatar, you'd think Viacom would have planned their stupid merchandising strategy better. Seriously, the regular DVDs have been out for years. Not that many people are going to want to drop another 30+ bucks to get new special features. Especially after the way they treated us.

AllieAllie

[3]Mar 23, 2010
    • level: 22

Yeah I don't think most people would want to do that either. But I don't have the season 1 DVD anyways, and I am excited about the special features, so I'll try to get it.

Bunnygirl

[4]Mar 23, 2010
    • level: 10
    First, the art book and now this. What's with all the merchandise? Well, we know why but... it's like "hey, Avatar has fans! Let's give them something special. They won't mind that it's three years late."
    Oh, who am I kidding? I only have one Book 3 dvd so I might get this anyway once I learn how much it costs.
    I do hope that this means we'll be getting some better t-shirts and stuff soon. The Nick.com ones are just meh.

_Flutterlight_

[5]Mar 23, 2010
    • level: 15
    It's like they're only JUST realizing that their fanbase is mostly made up of teenagers who actually care about stuff like the art and how the show was made.

Why couldn't they have figured this out back when Avatar was actually airing, and they were trying to get us to buy a bunch of action figures?

Bunnygirl

[6]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 10
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    It's like they're only JUST realizing that their fanbase is mostly made up of teenagers who actually care about stuff like the art and how the show was made.

Why couldn't they have figured this out back when Avatar was actually airing, and they were trying to get us to buy a bunch of action figures?

Didn't someone, a producer, maybe, say early on that they were hoping Avatar becomes their "Harry Potter" and that they would pump out a bunch of merch around the movie release? We can't be all that surprised.

I think though that they did know that a good amount of the fanbase weren't 7-11 year old males but that they were unwilling or unsure how to properly market towards them. I can't see a lot of ten year olds buying art books. Of course they dropped the ball with their primary demograpic because there wasn't a lot of Avatar merch anyway.

But since the movie seems to be geared at a slightly older crowd, it's being reflected in the merchandise. Like the new action figures, which will actually have a (gasp) Katara figure, the art book, the dvd, etc.

ddendong116

[7]Apr 27, 2010
    • level: 12
    Although I already have all three seasons on box set...

Miroku_of_Nite1

[8]Apr 28, 2010
    • level: 17
    I'll probably get it for the book. My old season 1 I'll just leave on a school playground or something.

Trollwrangler

[9]Apr 28, 2010
    • level: 5

Special features are nice, but unless I can watch something and enjoy it solely on the merits of it's allotted medium there's really no need to know more about it. I've already got all the seasons so this would just be a waste of money.

It's kind of like how I still like the guys behind Boondock Saints but I hate the second movie.