We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Aang's Parents

pooldude256

[21]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 38
    Perhaps when they discovered Aang was the Avatar he was sent to the Southern Temple, which may have been superior, and given to Gyatso, whom Aang himself said was the greatest airbender ever. Maybe his advanced airbending qualified him to train the Avatar more than his father.

[EDIT: Just noticed I'm like the 3rd person on this thread to say this...]
    Edited on 11/16/2006 12:03pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dark_aquatus

[22]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 5
    pooldude256 wrote:
    EDIT: Just noticed I'm like the 3rd person on this thread to say this...]

ye, we're really going forward in this topic! everyones repeating eachother... wow!
    ow btw, why am i the only one to think that the FN was trying to kill Aang? i mean, its pretty logical if u think about it. like i said: why wouldnt the FN try to kill the avatar when its preparing an attack which will un-balance the world?

kataang4eva081

[23]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 7
    Yea, I'm starting to agree with most of you (since you said the same thing), but one person said that since they were "nomads" they lived all over the place. For the fire nation it'd be like finding a needle in a haystack, trying to get each and everyone of them, if they did in fact live all over the world. They could've gone in hiding, or whatnot, like Zuko and Iroh. And if all of them are benders, well, uggghhh this is confusing, I'm probably going to get yelled at by 50 people that the show's title isn't called "the LAST airbender" for nothing, but uggghhhhhhh......

dark_aquatus

[24]Nov 16, 2006
    kataang4eva081 wrote:
    Yea, I'm starting to agree with most of you (since you said the same thing), but one person said that since they were "nomads" they lived all over the place. For the fire nation it'd be like finding a needle in a haystack, trying to get each and everyone of them, if they did in fact live all over the world. They could've gone in hiding, or whatnot, like Zuko and Iroh. And if all of them are benders, well, uggghhh this is confusing, I'm probably going to get yelled at by 50 people that the show's title isn't called "the LAST airbender" for nothing, but uggghhhhhhh......

i totally agree with you. and because of this, there HAVE to be air benders left! i mean, they could not have killed everyone of them, like you said: For the fire nation it'd be like finding a needle in a haystack, trying to get each and everyone of them. maybe Aang will find more friends except just Bumi and i bet that some of them are airbenders. ow btw, its true that air nomads traveled the entire world. why else did Aang have friends all over the world in every nation?

[25]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 2
    um... his parents didnt teach him because they werent teachers. im sure they taught him the basics when he was young. its just like our parents teach us the basics, then hand us over to random teachers at school.

tico1125

[26]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 6
    pooldude256 wrote:
    Perhaps when they discovered Aang was the Avatar he was sent to the Southern Temple, which may have been superior, and given to Gyatso, whom Aang himself said was the greatest airbender ever. Maybe his advanced airbending qualified him to train the Avatar more than his father.

[EDIT: Just noticed I'm like the 3rd person on this thread to say this...]

Ok I am going to bounce off of PoolDude's because he has a good point but there are some flaws in this logic.?? I will provide all of you the information that I think might explain it.

Lets start off with his parents knowing he was the Avatar.?? This is not true because if you remember in the episode "The Storm" the monks showed him the toys that he selected out of thousands.?? The monks were the ones to discover that he was the avatar.??

Now this leads us to how Aang got with the monks from his parents.?? The show is based upon Chinese traditions for the most part.?? There for here is the gist of the information.?? The Shaolin monks would take in students from families if they are found to be of worthiness for their training.?? The kids would grow up in the Shaolin ways and basically leave their life with their parents.?? It is a hard choice because they have to accept the Buddhist ways and follow all traditions.??
    How this relates to Aang is that he could have done something really simple with airbending that made his parents give him to the monks.?? He basically showed promise as a natural air bender.?? But the monks probably theorized that he was the next Avatar.
    You are probably right that his parents might be dead.?? Or they could have been the hippies from the Cave of Lovers episode.

dgyn14

[27]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 2
    Maybe all of the male air nomads were Eunuchs, so maybe Aang's dad was Roku and he was with a female air bender.

Who knows I'm just making stuff up.
    Edited on 11/16/2006 3:25pm

Ravel93

[28]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 14

Maybe??Aang's parents abandoned??him, and Giatso found him as a baby, since Aang is a nomad, and Giatso and everyone else were monks. And then there's that whole??Avatar Relic thing...??

Oh yeah I just remembered something. When Aang chose Appa as his sky bison, wouldn't his parents want to be there to see it? But, I don't know. Maybe they had better things to do. Like going penguin sledding.?? : D

Edited on 11/18/2006 7:20am

arrow_airbender

[29]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 1

KilalaRose wrote:
    You're forgetting what the word "nomad" means. They're people that travel around everywhere and don't have a permanent home...So, obviously, not all Air Nomads lived in the temples just because they were all airbenders. My guess is that they gave Aang away for some reason because it's hard to travel with a baby (possibly because they found out he was the Avatar) or let him stay in the temple to start training and such. But I'm not positively sure...in fact, no one is (except the creators [if they've thought about it])

i agree, the avatar must first learn and master there native element, so aangs parents, knowing he was the avatar, probably gave??him to the monks so he could get the best possible training. if they knew he was the avatar it was probably best he trained with the monks so he could better master airbending (the avatar needs proper training)

dark_aquatus

[30]Nov 17, 2006
    arrow_airbender wrote:

KilalaRose wrote:
    You're forgetting what the word "nomad" means. They're people that travel around everywhere and don't have a permanent home...So, obviously, not all Air Nomads lived in the temples just because they were all airbenders. My guess is that they gave Aang away for some reason because it's hard to travel with a baby (possibly because they found out he was the Avatar) or let him stay in the temple to start training and such. But I'm not positively sure...in fact, no one is (except the creators [if they've thought about it])

i agree, the avatar must first learn and master there native element, so aangs parents, knowing he was the avatar, probably gave??him to the monks so he could get the best possible training. if they knew he was the avatar it was probably best he trained with the monks so he could better master airbending (the avatar needs proper training)

this must have happened early in his life, cause first of all, they found out he was the avatar because of the toys/relics he chose. and second, he has never spoken about his parents yet, appearently he cant remember them... Like Zuko already said to Aang, he has been raised by monks, so he doesnt really know how its like to have parents.

tico1125

[31]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 6
    dark_aquatus wrote:
    arrow_airbender wrote:

KilalaRose wrote:

i agree, the avatar must first learn and master there native element, so aangs parents, knowing he was the avatar, probably gave him to the monks so he could get the best possible training. if they knew he was the avatar it was probably best he trained with the monks so he could better master airbending (the avatar needs proper training)

this must have happened early in his life, cause first of all, they found out he was the avatar because of the toys/relics he chose. and second, he has never spoken about his parents yet, appearently he cant remember them... Like Zuko already said to Aang, he has been raised by monks, so he doesnt really know how its like to have parents.

Bingo Dark Aqua...
    Everyone needs to stop thinking that his parents knew that he was the Avatar.?? It was the monks that discovered that he was the Avatar.?? Just watch "The Storm" episode again and you will get a good idea about his history with the monks.?? As for his parents being from Roku and an Airbender woman that is impossible because the Avatar is reincarnated.?? That means that the previous Avatar needs to die before the new one is born.

If you read up on my earlier post then you will see that it is very possible.?? It is logical that his parents just noticed his natural ability to airbend.?? Then they sent him to the monks to further train.?? Who knows maybe the Guru waiting for him could be his father.?? Just kidding.

PenguinPuu25

[32]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 3
    RAH NO! Heres how it goes people:

When an Avatar dies their reincarnation is born within a WEEK of their death. Since all the nations know the Avatar cycle, they were looking out for an Air Nomad child to be born within a week of Roku's death. Aang of course was born within that week, thus they figured he was the Avatar. They took him from his parents/just mother maybe, to show him the ancient toys and they concluded he was the Avatar since he picked the right toys. Then they fully took him away from his parents/ mum to train him to become a good Air bender and Avatar! YAY.

NOW. On the parents thing... YES he has parents, OMG. Whats with everyone who are like "he has parents? no he doesn't!" Yes, he does. He has to be conceived from somewhere people. I'm pretty sure there are what, 4 different air temples? 2 for the girls, 2 for the boys. They visit each one often and whatever, so yeah. Of course I have no idea how they actually partner up people, whether it be marriage or some one-night thing to make a kid, haha. Somehow they make those babies and then they send them to whatever gender temple they belong to. The end. And actually, they might just get ladies pregnant and they stay in the female temples, have their kids and whatever gender it is goes to whatever temple to train. I'm sure it was after a while tho, since kids do have to stay with their mums for a little....
    Thats all I got...

raienbrasa

[33]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 13
    Thought we established this. He didn't have any parents, ever. *eyeroll*

SoZin

[34]Nov 9, 2007

BECAUSE THESE BENDERS GO TO SCHOOOLS...

BOARDING SCHOOLS....

EVEN THE PRESIDENTS DONT TEACH

THEYRE OWN SON/DAUGHTER...

EVEN THE PROFESSORS DAUGHTER/SON

WERE SENtTO SCHOOL...

Why not talk bout his brother, sister, grandfa???

YES... AANG CAN CREATE VACUUM...

WATCH THE EPISODE WHERE GYATSO TEACHES HIM HOW TO MAKE THAT PIE

THING.

SoZin

[35]Nov 9, 2007

THE TEMPLES(N-S-E-W) ARENT 2 FOR BOYS/GIRLS....

ONE CITY(NORTH-S-E-W) HAS LIKE 3 TEMPLES IN THEM...

ONE FOR THE COMMERCIAL

ONE FOR THE HOUSING

ONE FOR THE SCHOOLS....

GIRL/BOY MONKS WEAR THE SAME CLOTHES, HAVE THE SAME HAIR

ThoughtBender

[36]Nov 9, 2007

Zuko made a comment in the end of season 1 while he was talking to Aang while he was in the spirit world. He said something to the effect that Aang never knew his parents. I think this made allude to the a practice the airbenders may have where the children are raised by monks and do not recognize individual people as parents. I think that would make sense with the whole air nomad philosophy to not have a traditional faimily structure in their culture, especially in the monastery. I think Aang being the avatar is irrelevant to his parents leaving him there. So to sum this up I owuld say air nomad culture does not include parents.

avifangirlp

[37]Mar 1, 2009
    ok I have a pretty good theory on this one, monks were obviously the most spiritual of the elements. If you remember what iroh said they "were the element of freedom" and basically gave up all material possesions/attachments to become more atuned to the universe. That would include things such as children. (It is confirmed in the episode the guru when he tells aang to unlock his chakras he must let go of all worldy attachments (for aang its his love for katara)) thus it was better the children being raised by monks and them not having certain maternal/paternal attachments that would be hard to break later on. thus leaving them free to become great airbenders... hope it makes as much sense as it did in my head.

readapost

[38]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 14

I think the dude who made Avatar focused on the story not too much on the backround.

I mean like there are many unanswered questions.

The only way we will ever know is they make some other spin off or something.

Wiki says otherwise and I most of what I have seen seems to be in order.